Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Bell & Gray opening in old Carrino's Provisions location Monday the 12th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
the amount of hate on Dale Talde here is just nuts

I was say the amount of "hate" for everything on this board is pretty alarming. Don't agree with how they handled it, necessarily but there is a reason people like 30A and Taqueria get so turned off by the vibe here.

Anyway, big wall of TV's, looks nice to catch a game if you can get a seat. If there really was a BMW night, and blocking of the street... yikes. that area is already a cluster-bomb of idiot customers wandering around sidewalks and looking for parking.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
So what is a bimmer night? Would I get a free drink or app for showing keys?

Posted on: 2015/10/15 15:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
So people are complaining about a restaurant holding a private event that it had little to no hand in planning the details thereof?

I guess I should just boycott the Hyatt for holding tacky, poorly decorated weddings when hired to do so...

In any case, the amount of hate on Dale Talde here is just nuts, I haven't been to Bell + Gray yet, but the menu looks reasonably priced, if a little bit boring, and the space looks quite nice. Would have preferred he went a little more Pork Slope and less Thistle Hill Tavern myself, but the guy knows how to cook, we all know that.

Despite the focus in the media on JC's cutting edge cuisine this town is primarily about a pizza and burger joints. Which is why we have so many of them.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
yea, i passed by it tonight on the way to PJ Ryans. They had two big BMW streamers in front of the door and some bimmers in the front, one with some gull wing doors open to attract the eye.

it attracted mine, right into an eye roll.

FTFY. Beemers have 2 wheels, sometimes 3.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
So people are complaining about a restaurant holding a private event that it had little to no hand in planning the details thereof?

I guess I should just boycott the Hyatt for holding tacky, poorly decorated weddings when hired to do so...

In any case, the amount of hate on Dale Talde here is just nuts, I haven't been to Bell + Gray yet, but the menu looks reasonably priced, if a little bit boring, and the space looks quite nice. Would have preferred he went a little more Pork Slope and less Thistle Hill Tavern myself, but the guy knows how to cook, we all know that.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
When new bars start having a "BMW Night" or whatever the hell that was....well...JC- you changed, man. You changed.

I was wondering where the over-abundance of asshole drivers were coming from last night. At least I know know where they were going.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/19 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
When new bars start having a "BMW Night" or whatever the hell that was....well...JC- you changed, man. You changed.

What bar had a BMW night? Park and sixth had some sort of promotional/private event with Ford where people were invited to test drive a Ford for a free meal.

Bell&Gray did...announcing on their IG page; that there were barricades and that Erie st will be closed with the hashtags #privateevent #closed #special

I'd like to add #tacky #gauche to those tags.
I'm sure some of our fav JC peeps were in attendance.
(I'm just salty I didn't get the invite.)

Posted on: 2015/10/15 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by and yeah...it looks like a sports bar. I'm very-impressed at how they transformed that space so quickly, though - maybe they could give some lessons to my landlord, who's taken 3 weeks to fix a leaky sink.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to suggest that tonight, when you don't go to Bell + Gray, be called KMA night.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 11:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:

What bar had a BMW night? Park and sixth had some sort of promotional/private event with Ford where people were invited to test drive a Ford for a free meal.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 9:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh my goodness...I have never even heard of a "BMW Night" but I don't even think I want to know. W...T...F.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/31 1:08
Group:
Registered Users
yea, i passed by it tonight on the way to PJ Ryans. They had two big BMW streamers in front of the door and some beamers in the front, one with some gull wing doors open to attract the eye.

it attracted mine, right into an eye roll.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
BMW night.

Jesus fuck.

Posted on: 2015/10/15 3:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/15 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

On top of those two identity crises, both "half-concepts" (non-divey sports bar, new American) are already prevalent in JC.

They should really commit to a concept. It's a great space but maybe it's almost...too big? I think a food hall would have been great (like smaller version of Chelsea Market, Reading Terminal Market), where each section of counter sells actual prepared food versus goods like pasta, meat, etc. And seating areas. That's a model that I would see being really, really successful (it's casual, it's cool, it's fun, it's cheap).

Oh well. In fairness, I will try to come into Bell+Gray to have a drink to see what the vibe is.

I think the space is really the problem and I'm sure the group would have been happy to do a straight up re-hash of Thistle Hill or Pork Slope.

I honestly would prefer a switch to the Pork Slope greasy bar food menu if the TV's are going to stick around. At least with that menu you're getting a burger or sandwich of some kind with fries for sub $15.

But then who wants to eat that type of food in the back room that formerly housed Carrino.

What I'm really bummed out about is the potential for this place to fail again with the new concept. While it's not at all what I think the neighborhood is lacking, a restaurant group with this kind of money and cache behind them failing to survive in JC means a serious setback for the local restaurant community. Coupled with the Thirty Acres closing, we won't see very many people taking the risk on JC as a viable option.

I couldn't care less if this latest concept succeeds or fails. If it looks overpriced and not worth it, I don't go. Further, I don't think this will have ramifications on future openings. We have absolutely no obligation to get ripped off on the speculation that this may induce others to open here. Pointing to Thirty Acres is a horrible example, given the obvious bad business decisions made by those first time restaurant owners.

Forget about the fact that there have been many new restaurants opening over the past year. It's no secret that there's a TON of new residential construction in DTJC and by JSQ. I think perceptive restaurant owners are well aware of the potential $$$ opportunities in the area. They will know that it's just a matter of hitting the right concept.

I thought the Carrino group had a bit more sense, but if they can't produce a product/concept that enough feel is worth it, let them leave. The new incoming residents ensure there will be plenty more where that came from.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

On top of those two identity crises, both "half-concepts" (non-divey sports bar, new American) are already prevalent in JC.

They should really commit to a concept. It's a great space but maybe it's almost...too big? I think a food hall would have been great (like smaller version of Chelsea Market, Reading Terminal Market), where each section of counter sells actual prepared food versus goods like pasta, meat, etc. And seating areas. That's a model that I would see being really, really successful (it's casual, it's cool, it's fun, it's cheap).

Oh well. In fairness, I will try to come into Bell+Gray to have a drink to see what the vibe is.

I think the space is really the problem and I'm sure the group would have been happy to do a straight up re-hash of Thistle Hill or Pork Slope.

I honestly would prefer a switch to the Pork Slope greasy bar food menu if the TV's are going to stick around. At least with that menu you're getting a burger or sandwich of some kind with fries for sub $15.

But then who wants to eat that type of food in the back room that formerly housed Carrino.

What I'm really bummed out about is the potential for this place to fail again with the new concept. While it's not at all what I think the neighborhood is lacking, a restaurant group with this kind of money and cache behind them failing to survive in JC means a serious setback for the local restaurant community. Coupled with the Thirty Acres closing, we won't see very many people taking the risk on JC as a viable option.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Judging from the pics in that article, this place offers small portions. And the prices aren't cheap.

Hope it's not the kind of "fine dining" where you leave hungry.

Agreed, I'm not going to bother. Maybe in a place with the right atmosphere, but I'm not spending $13 for a 1/4 wedge of lettuce and 3 shrimp while watching football.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I went the other night it reminded me of the coffee shop next to the Grove station but without the cheap drinks or cheap eats. But the crowd was pretty much the same all sports fanatics who talk loud with their mouths full.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, I agree with many of the comments at the bottom of the Gothamist article.

Disclaimer, I have not yet stepped foot into Bell+Gray, but I've walked by a couple of times and looked in.

The place seems to not know what it is, and you can't be a high end place that's also kind of a sports bar. It's just awkward.

It's also really hard to be equal parts restaurant, equal parts bar. That also tends to be awkward.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Judging from the pics in that article, this place offers small portions. And the prices aren't cheap.

Hope it's not the kind of "fine dining" where you leave hungry.

Posted on: 2015/10/14 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

NELL CASEY

If you haven't jumped on the PATH train to Jersey City recently?or, let's face it, ever?you may be surprised to find that the city's dining scene has been blossoming of late. Chef-restaurateur Dale Talde, the Three Kings restaurant group (with John Bush and David Massoni) and Anthony Carrino and John Colaneri have doubled down on JC as the next dining destination, opening Talde Jersey City and Carrino Provisions. Unfortunately, the latter closed last week, only to be very quickly reborn as Bell + Gray, a seasonal comfort food spot that imparts classic American dishes with international flavors and tweaks.

More

Posted on: 2015/10/14 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TAQsmp wrote:
And it's not BYO !!! Sorry Bodhi...

Awesome! Maybe that will keep out the cheapskates that would bring Yellow Penguin, witnessed at 30 Acres out and other BYOs in the area.

Posted on: 2015/10/10 10:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/22 15:52
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
And it's not BYO !!! Sorry Bodhi...

Posted on: 2015/10/10 7:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
cosifantutte wrote:
Eater NY posted this yesterday:

ny.eater.com

The location has been closed all week for renovations. Looks like the grand opening of the new restaurant will be this Monday the 12th.

That restaurant name is so comically cliche that I can only assume they came up with it by using the hipster business name generator.

http://www.hipsterbusiness.name

I assume that because the building was originally a telephone building they named the place after two pioneers of telephony.
Alexander Graham and Elisha.

Schooled! I am sure you are right. I totally missed it. [/quote

Yes, it's just blind luck that the name is both historically accurate and unbearably hipster

Bell and Gray are just English last names. What makes them hipster? I guess mainstream names are important otherwise people might be renting big bucks apartments at The Manischevitz (sp.??) @ Matzo Square.

It's not just the matter of the names being common English names! It's the juxtaposition of the two last names. Look up the site I posted earlier. It's a totally hipster thing to take two names or words, combined with an ampersand, and some "retro" logo and slap it on a business.

okay - had no idea.

Posted on: 2015/10/10 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
cosifantutte wrote:

ny.eater.com

The location has been closed all week for renovations. Looks like the grand opening of the new restaurant will be this Monday the 12th.

That restaurant name is so comically cliche that I can only assume they came up with it by using the hipster business name generator.

I assume that because the building was originally a telephone building they named the place after two pioneers of telephony.

Yes, it's just blind luck that the name is both historically accurate and unbearably hipster

Bell and Gray are just English last names. What makes them hipster? I guess mainstream names are important otherwise people might be renting big bucks apartments at The Manischevitz (sp.??) @ Matzo Square.

It's not just the matter of the names being common English names! It's the juxtaposition of the two last names. Look up the site I posted earlier. It's a totally hipster thing to take two names or words, combined with an ampersand, and some "retro" logo and slap it on a business.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
cosifantutte wrote:

ny.eater.com

Posted on: 2015/10/9 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
cosifantutte wrote:

ny.eater.com

Posted on: 2015/10/9 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

cosifantutte wrote:

ny.eater.com

Schooled! I am sure you are right. I totally missed it.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

cosifantutte wrote:

ny.eater.com

Posted on: 2015/10/9 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cosifantutte wrote:

ny.eater.com

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017