Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: How will YOU help end homelessness in Hudson County?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/20 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I see... Revisionism is alive and well. People (mostly liberals) love to portray the issue of homelessness as a government failure to provide adequate funding for their care and treatment, but how convenient that those people are the same ones that 40 - 50 years ago fought (and many still oppose) the government sending the insane and mentally ill to the facilities that once housed them. I guess the chickens have come home to roost.

Thankfully, many cities and counties around the country have started to come to their senses and have recently instituted policies to make it possible to involuntarily commit those considered extremely ill or dangerous. Hopefully, this will (once again) become an available option to judges and authorities across the land. Thcommunitis that have re-instituted this option are seeing a lot of savings, and better results for the sick individuals.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 2:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
problem is the funding has been stripped so no place to go. average per person is around 20-38k a year depending on needs.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 1:47
Censorship is for pussies!!!!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in the 1960s and I did not see homeless the way I see it today. People who had mental illness were placed in Secaucus where the county had a facility. Now the trend is to release the mentally ill and many wind up homeless. I would like to see the county going back to the standard of putting the mentally ill in facilities where they are cared for instead of allowing them to live on the streets.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 0:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mother of God - is there something in the water tonight? Full moon? Pod people? Daleks?

Mercury is in retrograde...

Posted on: 2015/9/20 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

MoloTov wrote:

As cold and controversial as I'm sure it will seem at first blush, after much serious contemplation I wholeheartedly believe that for both society and their own sake, that the most TRULY hopeless cases would better off being put out of their misery i.e. euthenized. Yes they should be given EVERY opportunity (access to mental health/job training etc) to improve their lives prior to doing that, but if they refuse or are wholly incapable of improving their lives then I see this as a humane/rational/logical alternative to simply turning a blind eye to their profound misery and letting them languish away in their miserable existence while at the same time burdening society (costs associated with their medical care due to no insurance, degradation of our community due to their public elimination, drunkenness, reduced quality of life by their disturbing presence in our community etc)

To reiterate this would be the LAST resort after giving them EVERY opportunity to improve their lives (thru governmental intervention) but it's a sad reality that their simply are HOPELESS cases that due to advanced age and/or irreversible diminished mental capacity and/or chronic addiction will NEVER EVER EVER be able to be saved and/or be able to in any form or fashion contribute anything positive to society (the old man who wears the dark trench coat comes to mind..once saw him masturbating on an apt stoop) and who would I TRULY believe would be better off being put out of such a wholly sad and miserable, hopeless existence, one that you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy, as in Imh (albeit admittedly extremely controversial) o, prolonged permanent misery such as that which is experienced by the MOST profoundly hopeless of hopeless cases, again for both their and society's sake would be better off being humanely euthanized (As cold as it sounds I do see this as a win win proposition) Sad but 100% TRUE so go ahead and refer to me as Hitler ALL you wan as I am simply trying to being logical/rational/REAL about such s profoundly sad/vexing/frustrating situation, and again this would be for only the most truly wholly HOPELESS cases that either refuse or are incapable of improving their lives circumstances thru gov't intervention (which would in fact be a small minority of all homeless people) because no one can dispute the fact that VAST majority of society turn a blind eye to their miserable existence/suffering ANYWAY and in their heart of hearts surely COULDN'T care less if/when they die in the streets anyway!!!!!!! (most in their heart of hears would probably be glad not to have to see/smell them again, though obviously SOME do NOT such as the person who started this thread and other like minded and or religious types)

Lastly the purpose of this post wasn't to be controversial for controversy's sake but rather to offer a (admittedly) radical solution to such a vexing problem as chronic homeless and the burden it places on society, as I'm a free thinker and an atheist so my thoughts are unburdened by religious dogma. I hope once you get past the shock of my proposition you see that my proposition is the result of logic/reason/practicality/ and in my view indeed HUMANNESS, and that I'm not a would be Stalin/Hitler who thinks that ALL homeless people should be killed!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't relocating them out of the county to a facility be more humane then your concept ? At least this answers the question of the post.

Mother of God - is there something in the water tonight? Full moon? Pod people? Daleks?

Posted on: 2015/9/19 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MoloTov wrote:

As cold and controversial as I'm sure it will seem at first blush, after much serious contemplation I wholeheartedly believe that for both society and their own sake, that the most TRULY hopeless cases would better off being put out of their misery i.e. euthenized. Yes they should be given EVERY opportunity (access to mental health/job training etc) to improve their lives prior to doing that, but if they refuse or are wholly incapable of improving their lives then I see this as a humane/rational/logical alternative to simply turning a blind eye to their profound misery and letting them languish away in their miserable existence while at the same time burdening society (costs associated with their medical care due to no insurance, degradation of our community due to their public elimination, drunkenness, reduced quality of life by their disturbing presence in our community etc)

To reiterate this would be the LAST resort after giving them EVERY opportunity to improve their lives (thru governmental intervention) but it's a sad reality that their simply are HOPELESS cases that due to advanced age and/or irreversible diminished mental capacity and/or chronic addiction will NEVER EVER EVER be able to be saved and/or be able to in any form or fashion contribute anything positive to society (the old man who wears the dark trench coat comes to mind..once saw him masturbating on an apt stoop) and who would I TRULY believe would be better off being put out of such a wholly sad and miserable, hopeless existence, one that you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy, as in Imh (albeit admittedly extremely controversial) o, prolonged permanent misery such as that which is experienced by the MOST profoundly hopeless of hopeless cases, again for both their and society's sake would be better off being humanely euthanized (As cold as it sounds I do see this as a win win proposition) Sad but 100% TRUE so go ahead and refer to me as Hitler ALL you wan as I am simply trying to being logical/rational/REAL about such s profoundly sad/vexing/frustrating situation, and again this would be for only the most truly wholly HOPELESS cases that either refuse or are incapable of improving their lives circumstances thru gov't intervention (which would in fact be a small minority of all homeless people) because no one can dispute the fact that VAST majority of society turn a blind eye to their miserable existence/suffering ANYWAY and in their heart of hearts surely COULDN'T care less if/when they die in the streets anyway!!!!!!! (most in their heart of hears would probably be glad not to have to see/smell them again, though obviously SOME do NOT such as the person who started this thread and other like minded and or religious types)

Lastly the purpose of this post wasn't to be controversial for controversy's sake but rather to offer a (admittedly) radical solution to such a vexing problem as chronic homeless and the burden it places on society, as I'm a free thinker and an atheist so my thoughts are unburdened by religious dogma. I hope once you get past the shock of my proposition you see that my proposition is the result of logic/reason/practicality/ and in my view indeed HUMANNESS, and that I'm not a would be Stalin/Hitler who thinks that ALL homeless people should be killed!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't relocating them out of the county to a facility be more humane then your concept ? At least this answers the question of the post.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 23:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/12 3:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/19 21:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/31 15:22
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks all for the compassionate dialogue.

It's true that the root causes of homelessness are myriad and complex, which is why we engage with the crisis on multiple platforms--from emergency services to affordable housing to mental health programming (to name a few).

If you prefer, you can think about the concept of reducing homelessness. This is an equally meaningful goal.

Another way folks can easily help out is by purchasing items off our Amazon Wishlist:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/registry/w ... PKFP1R/ref=topnav_lists_1

Also, please visit our Facebook pages for frequent updates about action opportunities and news.

https://www.facebook.com/GardenStateEpiscopal
https://www.facebook.com/PERCshelter?fref=ts

Posted on: 2015/9/14 14:58

Edited by GSECDCShelter4All on 2015/9/14 15:19:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/6 17:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I'm going to contribute, since you are doing important - perhaps, yes, God's work. What bothers me about the premise is that we/I can end homelessness; at best you - with our help - can ameliorate it's effects. Can I really end the causes - mental illness, substance abuse, uneducated life decisions?

it is not god's work. it is human decency.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm going to contribute, since you are doing important - perhaps, yes, God's work. What bothers me about the premise is that we/I can end homelessness; at best you - with our help - can ameliorate it's effects. Can I really end the causes - mental illness, substance abuse, uneducated life decisions?

Posted on: 2015/9/11 1:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/6 17:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
whenever a homeless person approaches my car, i give them food, not money.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 1:01

How will YOU help end homelessness in Hudson County?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/31 15:22
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Located in Hudson County, GSECDC and PERC are sister organizations with over sixty years of combined experience dedicated to ending homelessness.

Between our overnight shelter, soup kitchen, homeless drop-in center, social services and community outreach, we require a vast amount of material supplies to respond to the needs of the homeless community in Hudson County.

Help us prepare for the cold season by participating in our Longest Night Campaign Kickoff Event! The event is our way of raising much-needed funds to help get us through the long winter.

Please see our website, www.gsecdc.org, to buy event tickets, sponsorships or ad space in our event journal, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for frequent updates.

For information about hosting a supplies drive (i.e. paper goods, socks, outerwear, toiletries, etc) or volunteering with us, please send an email to volunteer@gsecdc.org.

#EndHomelessness #BecometheSolution

Posted on: 2015/9/10 16:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017