Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: JCPA's booting policy called unfair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Another instance of the administration targeting those pesky Fulop supporters!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 10:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
There are hardly any bike racks in JC. The JCPA is essentially penalizing people for using a zero emissions vehicle. So bass ackwards. Meanwhile the JCPA doesn't bother to ticket the illegally parked vehicles on every block.
? Anyone know what the ticket amount is and/or impound fee?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mendezia wrote:
How do the brain surgeons at the JCPA plan on collecting these fines? Are they now requiring bikes to have license plates?

Umm, they'll collect the bike first? Then you pay the fine, and have to buy a new lock to boot.

This is such BS. Before they built the rack, for some reason people were afraid to lock their bikes there, but the only place available was to poles and trees. Now they use rackspace inadequate to the demand as justification to confiscate bikes?!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 1:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
How do the brain surgeons at the JCPA plan on collecting these fines? Are they now requiring bikes to have license plates?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 0:46

Re: The JCPA is so shady.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Now that is completely unacceptable.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 0:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
You have got to be freaking kidding me!!! This city is broke as can be and is desperate to get money any way it can. Provide more bike racks and folks won't have to park their bikes on signs and such. First the museum is only going to be open one day and week and now this? BS!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
JCPA was ticketing bicycles today at Grove Pointe, 50 Columbus, and along Newark Avenue.

Talked to the issuer, and he said that any bicycle secured to any city owned sign pole, tree, or lamp post may be removed by the city.

He rolled his eyes and I sensed that he felt that it was a bu11s&it directive from supervisors.

Today's tickets were "warnings" only.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 23:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I still like the idea of documenting the situation and evidence and forwarding it the JCPA to rescind the ticket, with a note that if it proceeds to Court and that if I were successful and the ticket gets thrown out, an additional fee of $50 and hour will apply to JCPA for time wasting and loss of income and administration costs for the effort of going to Court..................There must be a dude out there prepared to give this ago..........siht I've even heard that if an authority (cityhall etc) wins, they can and have, seek extra courts costs so why can't we if we present the evidence to them prior to court !

One thing I learned about government is that they don't care if you take them to court. It's not their money.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I still like the idea of documenting the situation and evidence and forwarding it the JCPA to rescind the ticket, with a note that if it proceeds to Court and that if I were successful and the ticket gets thrown out, an additional fee of $50 and hour will apply to JCPA for time wasting and loss of income and administration costs for the effort of going to Court..................There must be a dude out there prepared to give this ago..........siht I've even heard that if an authority (cityhall etc) wins, they can and have, seek extra courts costs so why can't we if we present the evidence to them prior to court !

Posted on: 2010/4/10 9:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, isn't it time to start the petition to rid this city of the JCPA once and for all???

The corruption and drain on the city has to stop.

Does anyone have experience with starting a petition and organizing a peaceful and legal protest.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 23:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
OK - my memory does sometimes play tricks but wasn't there a recent ordinance issued that says they CAN'T just boot at will - that the offender has to have prior unpaid tickets?

I'm not usually reactionary but I think this calls for getting Fulop involved. It's a systemic problem that is emblematic of the challenges we have making any QOL progress in JC.

I know - there are threads on failed carjackings and other horrible things happening that should take precedence. But, small quality of life improvements can start the momentum for great change.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
The douchebaggery continues...

So after arguing all night on who should call. The GF called at 7am this morning. Probably a good thing, she's a little more level-headed when it comes to this stuff. My temper gets the best of me in situations like this, and it would probably just make matters worse.

Either way, she calls and explains the whole scenario. Car parked after hours, but definitely NOT overnight. The JCPA representative was of course a total DB, and said "We sometimes boot in certain lots after you step out of your vehicle, regardless if you have previous tickets or not." The person went on, almost gloating at this point...That they have the "right" to boot people the "minute their two feet hit the ground".

The GF went on to try and get an explanation of WHY a ticket was issued. Asking the simple question... "Why was I issued a ticket, and why was I booted?" She then said, "You guys can't just go around and boot people's car's for no reason". The JCPA then responded, "Either pay the $110 ticket now, or don't, and lose the car. If you have a problem, go to court." ? A55h0le!

So basically, the JCPA is taking the stance that they can boot any car they like, whenever they want. And, you can't do a single thing about it.

Ianmac has a great point. This lot is steps away from Skinner's Loft, LITM, Torico's and other restaurants, and the boot was placed during their business hours. The other cars in the lot that were booted could have been patrons of those places that night... What if they came from out of town to go to skinners loft, and come out to find a boot on their car? Stuck in JC, no one answers the phone at the parking authority... HORRIBLE. If I owned a business near there, I'd be furious.

Well, the JCPA messed with the wrong folks this time. The white glove has been pulled from my pocket, and I demand satisfaction.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it's good that they are working at least at bit at night. I think there should be at least one crew working at night time. Doesn't make sence they stop working at night.

As far as overnight parking, I think the only logical way to ticket someone for this is if you log the car being there at say 10pm, come back in the morning, say 6am, and if its there, ticket it. Clearly not the case here, good luck.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
And, do they ever answer the phone? Several times recently, this idiot in a shiny white Mercedes was parked right in the crosswalk by PS16. Right over the crosswalk. I called the cops who said call the JCPA. I did, they didn't answer. Do the people that do the boots get any additional money in their paycheck if they boot a certain amount of vehicles a month? Hmmm..I don't know.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 17:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/21 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
I got a ticket yesterday as well, and it seems to be the most clear cut case of error possible.

I got a street cleaning ticket for York St, the ticket is timestamped at 2:45 PM on 4/8/10, which was a Thursday. It just so happens I was parked on the right side, which is not street cleaning on Thursday. Regardless, even if I were parked on the 'violation' side, it was well outside of the hours between monmouth and varrick (8-10am), and even outside of the hours on neighboring Monmouth (10-12).

So, basically, this is garbage. $42 for a clearly incorrect ticket. Yet, in order to 'do the right thing', I would need to take one or two days of work off to go to court... and even so, it's a game of chance.

Is there any other option?

BTW, Officer ID 7191..

Posted on: 2010/4/9 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Good on the JCPA. I mean the last thing Jersey City wants is to encourage people to actually patronize the restaurants and bars in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say next to the tax department the parking authority is the best. They work till 11:00pm I was told that verbally. Take a picture of the sign and go to court and ask for a definition. Perhaps there is a liability factor after hours.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 15:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/25 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I wish they would ticket for parking too close to the curb rather than this.

So after looking around a bit and checking this out with some folks in my neighborhood.

1. I find that there are some signs posted near the corners which have an arrow pointing in both directions letting someone park pretty close to the corner.

2. There are some signs that have the arrow only pointing in one direction basically saying you cant park past the sign.

3. These signs were updated long after the curbs were painted the red and yellow colors which seems to not mean anything, anymore.

The PCPA have the right to ticket folks who don't respect these signs, but do not care about the paint on the curbs.

So it looks like at some point the city re-zoned some of these parking areas and are enforcing them.

Lets just feel lucky that we do not live in Hoboken and need to spend our evenings circling the blocks looking for parking of paying to park in a lot. :)

Posted on: 2010/4/9 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
use their hours of operation against them. the judge at night court is reasonable, bring photos of other cars parked there at night, anything you can to prove they were out targeting that night.

i think by far the most ridiculous ticket i ever got was one at 2:00 PM that said i was parked for more than 2 hours in a zone. oddly enough, i left that morning at 10am to go walk dogs in mcginley square, journal square, bayonne, paulus hook, the heights, and dixon mills. i got home right around 2PM and parked on the opposite side of where the sweeper was coming and came back outside to a ticket. i could've fought it in court by bringing all of the notebooks i logged in across town and surveillance videos/printed logs of check ins from the beacon, canco lofts, and dixon mills, but it would've been more of a headache to fight it (already fought and won on a crazy handicapped parking ticket in one of shop rite's unmarked spots with the signs in cement buckets.) i just don't have the time to spend in court over $42.

unfortunately for me it was just easier to suck it up and pay the fine. the dmv still hadn't sent me my change of address stickers at the time and the parking authority wouldn't issue me a permit.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 7:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
So,

The sign is metered parking 9am - 9pm and a No overnight parking sign (that doesn't give any hours - say like 12 am - 7am) !

Scratching my head, this would mean you pay to park from 9am - 9pm and after 9pm and before 9am it's free, so long as you don't park overnight ......... I'm hoping this is correct !

How does anyone interpret NO OVERNIGHT PARKING ?

What if I leave at 1 am after going out for dinner in the area....talk about ambiguous bull shit signs........I'd be writing in and requesting a 'please explain' ......Learning to drive a car doesn't include meaningless signs that should be easy to comprehend..............I'd take some photos and ask the head parking dude to meet you at the location......I'd even tape the meeting to hear what crap answer he comes up with!

Posted on: 2010/4/9 7:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
From what you describe, it seems like there is no parking allowed after 9PM. If that is the case there may not be much you can do.
Good luck. I wish they would ticket for parking too close to the curb rather than this.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 5:28

The JCPA is so shady.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Tonite, the GF parked in a metered lot across the street from our apartment building to unpack groceries. The lot is metered from 9am-9pm. Her car was parked after 9pm and no longer than an hour or so.

The GF has a valid permit and often parks the car in this lot, (20 steps from our door) to make the grocery trip a little easier. She then goes and parks the car on the street later that night. She's done this countless times and has lived in the same building for 5 years or so without every encountering a problem.

I went out to move it around 1030 pm and noticed her car was booted along with 5 OTHERS.

Now, there is a sign in this lot that says, "No Overnight Parking". And I've seen them ticket cars parked overnight in the morning of the following day.

Did the JCPA invent time travel? How can you boot a car for overnight parking at 10pm?

The notice on the car said the ticket was issued at exactly 10:01PM. Funny, because the hours of operation on the JCPA website say the dispatcher is only available until 10 PM.

So of course when we call the number listed on the notice, no one answers because technically the ticket was issued after the office closed.

Tomorrow morning the JCPA will get THE CALL demanding this boot be removed without a penalty. We all know how that goes.... I'll admit, I'm already starting to feel bad for the person who answers that phone in the morning...No, wait. I don't feel bad at all. They are going to feel the wrath. Maybe I'll record the verbal firebomb for your listening pleasure.

JC has a budget problem? Luxury condos not filling up quick enough? I wonder why?
Half of my friends have moved out of JC in the past year, and I'm sure that's just the start of things to come.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 4:46

Re: Jersey City expands parking options for residents; revises 'booting' policy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City expands parking options for residents; revises 'booting' policy

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 17, 2010, 3:08PM

Only motorist will two outstanding tickets will be booted, according to an ordinance introduced by the Jersey City City Council

Jersey City residents may soon be able to park in any zone in the city for up to four hours.

The City Council introduced an ordinance Wednesday to create a new four-hour permit, which would allow residents to shop and dine leisurely outside of the zone they live in.

There are currently 12 different parking zones in the city, most of them Downtown. Residents are charged $15 a year per vehicle to park in these zones, while non-residents are charged $300 annually.

This new four-hour option would an additional fee, the price of which has not been determined, said Jersey City Parking Authority Executive Director Mary Spinello-Paretti.

Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop authored the ordinance that would also create a city-wide policy for booting vehicles and add the City Clerk's Office as another location to obtain visitors parking permits. "Jersey City residents should have flexibility to park in the city and visit restaurants, parks, family," he said.Journal staff photo
Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop successfully introduced an ordinance that would create a new permit to allow Jersey City residents to park anywhere in the city for up to four hours and restricts booting to motorists who have at least two outstanding tickets.

Currently visitor's passes, which are $3 per day, must be picked up at the Jersey City Parking Authority building on Central Avenue. Fulop said the clerk's office in City Hall on Grove Street would make obtaining passes more convenient.

The booting portion of the ordinance stems from hundreds of complaints from residents and visitors about getting booted immediately for parking on certain city streets.

Under the ordinance, a boot would only be placed on a vehicle that has two outstanding tickets.

The ordinance specifies that if a municipal court judge rules that the vehicle's owner was not guilty of the offenses the booting fees would be refunded. In the past, the Parking Authority kept administrative fees.

Officials are still working on a policy to refund people who were wrongly booted in the past.

Tonight at the Tax Increase Protest Council mtg the Council voted to table the proposed ordinance by Fulop, despite it having first been introduced over 1.5 years ago.

Some things never change despite the efforts of those like Fulop attempting to represent not just Ward E but all of us. Maybe next time those of us whining on this site and others will bother to register to vote and then actually turn out in other wards throughout the city to make a change.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 9:32
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
sorry about your ticket Tommy, but that's a funny (sad) story!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yup_Sure_Okay wrote:
I parked my brand new car (minutes off of the lot) in front of my apartment and was booted in about 20 minutes. In an act of bravery and desperation, I marched down to the Parking Authority and demanded that they remove my boot free of charge. I demanded to speak with whomever was in charge. I was escorted upstairs through the marble hallways and spoke with Ferdinand Picariello. After about a half hour of his time, I think he was sick of talking to me and had them remove the boot for free.

I consider this one of my greatest accomplishments.

I also visited Picarillo and got my boot fee extinguished.

Feeling proud as a peacock, I strutted out of the Parking Authority building, and my head hung with shame as there was a parking ticket flapping in the breeze on my car.

True story. I didn't know that in the Heights, they sweep the streets on Wednesday.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 23:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/13 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
I parked my brand new car (minutes off of the lot) in front of my apartment and was booted in about 20 minutes. In an act of bravery and desperation, I marched down to the Parking Authority and demanded that they remove my boot free of charge. I demanded to speak with whomever was in charge. I was escorted upstairs through the marble hallways and spoke with Ferdinand Picariello. After about a half hour of his time, I think he was sick of talking to me and had them remove the boot for free.

I consider this one of my greatest accomplishments.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

January 17, 2010, 3:08PM

Only motorist will two outstanding tickets will be booted, according to an ordinance introduced by the Jersey City City Council

Jersey City residents may soon be able to park in any zone in the city for up to four hours.

The City Council introduced an ordinance Wednesday to create a new four-hour permit, which would allow residents to shop and dine leisurely outside of the zone they live in.

There are currently 12 different parking zones in the city, most of them Downtown. Residents are charged $15 a year per vehicle to park in these zones, while non-residents are charged $300 annually.

This new four-hour option would an additional fee, the price of which has not been determined, said Jersey City Parking Authority Executive Director Mary Spinello-Paretti.

Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop authored the ordinance that would also create a city-wide policy for booting vehicles and add the City Clerk's Office as another location to obtain visitors parking permits. "Jersey City residents should have flexibility to park in the city and visit restaurants, parks, family," he said.Journal staff photo
Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop successfully introduced an ordinance that would create a new permit to allow Jersey City residents to park anywhere in the city for up to four hours and restricts booting to motorists who have at least two outstanding tickets.

Currently visitor's passes, which are $3 per day, must be picked up at the Jersey City Parking Authority building on Central Avenue. Fulop said the clerk's office in City Hall on Grove Street would make obtaining passes more convenient.

The booting portion of the ordinance stems from hundreds of complaints from residents and visitors about getting booted immediately for parking on certain city streets.

Under the ordinance, a boot would only be placed on a vehicle that has two outstanding tickets.

The ordinance specifies that if a municipal court judge rules that the vehicle's owner was not guilty of the offenses the booting fees would be refunded. In the past, the Parking Authority kept administrative fees.

Officials are still working on a policy to refund people who were wrongly booted in the past.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 22:15

JC could get new parking regulations: City-wide four-hour parking permit for residents.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City could get new parking regulations

January 11, 2010, 8:40PM

The Jersey City Council is set to introduce an ordinance Wednesday that would include a new city-wide four-hour parking permit for residents.

Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop said the permit would allow residents to shop and dine outside of their parking zone without the fear of being booted or ticketed.

If the ordinance is approved, visitors to the city would also be able to purchase a daily visitor's parking pass from the City Clerk's Office.

Mary Spinello-Paretti, director of the Jersey City Parking Authority, said prices for the new permits have not been determined yet.

The ordinance also includes a city-wide provision for booting vehicles. Vehicles with two overdue tickets would be subject to booting.

If a municipal court judge rules that the vehicle's owner was not guilty of the offenses, the booting fees would be refunded.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, I see. I've always heard the "CEO" referred to as the Director. Thanks for correcting me.

I would say though that if you talked to the CEO then there would be no wiggle room at this point. Speaking to the past CEO, Mark Russ did nothing for me. I think things are a bit different now though.

Sorry they are playing dumb. The whole agency is extremely frustrating.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 2:47
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Thanks Christine, that means a lot.

I don't dream Councilman Fulop to be anything and I don't dream any single individual anything more than human. This is why I fight my own battles and work as hard as I do for my community. There are a lot more community activists out there and we all have the choice to support the initiatives and issues that we feel are a priority rather than stick behind one individual. I think you will find Councilman Fulop in full agreement with this philosophy as well. Think for yourself and do for yourself. An elected official voting as a true representative of her/his area does not need to fool people or keep them silent and apathetic... make them believe in them. S/he needs their constituents to be active, aware, and free thinking.

Only time will tell if people will care enough to vote their conscience and elect representatives that vote in the best interests of the people.

On your point about the current directors not knowing the policy, there is only one director, Mary Spinello. Until about 7 months ago she sat on the Council arguing for a better booting and parking policy. So I doubt very much that she some how erased her memory of the ordinances. I would be very happy to set up a personal meeting between you and her though if you really think she doesn't know the policy.

However, I think what you are saying is that even those in higher positions within the JCPA don't know their own policy. On this I would not be surprised. Many people who park on the Hoboken border get ticketed by JCPA. So some don't even know where JC ends.

It is ashame that the JCPA is an autonomous agency.

Althea,

There are actually three directors as well as numerous assistant directors. That's part of the problem. They have to have the revenues to justify all of the salaries of these "So called Directors" so they illegally boot vehicles when in fact the vehicle only deserves the $42.00 ticket that'is in the original ordinance. When you speak with one of them, they pretend like they don't know what you're talking about.

In the case of my neighborhood, once I started reading the ordinance number to them over the phone, they misteriously stopped booting vehicles on my block.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 2:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017