Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 35 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Once again? Jen? Stevehpna/super_furry?... Anyone from HPNA?

Is the final renovation plan available for public viewing over the Internet in some form (.pdf or website)?... If not, are there any plans to put it somewhere where it?s easily downloadable and (if so) when?...

If you?re not going to release it electronically, how can I get a copy?... Snail mail?... Can I pick it up somewhere?...

Or,? if you?re not planning on making the final plan available for viewing outside of the HPNA membership, may I ask why?...

Posted on: 2009/3/24 13:22
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Well done Parkman!!!!

Posted on: 2009/3/24 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
OMFG, the basketball players are making so much noise! The dog owners are making so much noise! The night trash collection makes too much noise! The kids at Grace Van Vorst Church make too much noise! The drunk bar hoppers make too much noise! The cars on Montgomery Street make too much noise! The ambulances at the hospital make too much noise!

Hi, I'm a big city. Have we met?

Perhaps a little peace and quiet.
You miss my point, some of these city noises you mention, ARE part of city living, come with your decision to live here, and not regulated by city ordinance. However, excessive noise; dogs barking in the dog run after 10pm, basketball playing after the same hour, are regulated by law but generally not enforced.

Relative to violent crime or the current state of the economy, these quality of life issues may seem frivolous, but they do they do affect how we feel about the place we have chosen to live. I am a great believer in the ?broken window? theory, where one seemingly minor infringement, gives rise to greater escalation of crime by those who see that others do not care.

Manhattan is a big city and does not tolerate or excuse, because of its size, most of what we put up with?moving to Wyoming is a cop-out.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
OMFG, the basketball players are making so much noise! The dog owners are making so much noise! The night trash collection makes too much noise! The kids at Grace Van Vorst Church make too much noise! The drunk bar hoppers make too much noise! The cars on Montgomery Street make too much noise! The ambulances at the hospital make too much noise!

Hi, I'm a big city WITH LAWS that are not being followed by the public AND not being enforced by an undermanned police force!

Posted on: 2009/3/24 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Some of those things you can't control and others you can but Please keep being a Doormat for anyone who wants to have their way with you. Party is on your stoop tonight!!

Posted on: 2009/3/24 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The kids at Grace Van Vorst Church make too much noise!

That is a huge understatement and when someone gets hurt I don't think you will singing that tune. Just because it's a big city doesn't mean that you ignore dangerous situations that are easily resolved.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/23 23:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if there will there be a flea market again this year? If so when and how can I get a table?

I always enjoy going & shopping, but now I've got too much stuff....

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/3/23 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
The issue here is not one of people playing basketball, it?s that all city parks close at 10pm (except Grundy Pier) and this ordinance is not enforced. If individuals want to extend these hours, they should take it up with the city council?until then, it would be nice to have relative peace and quiet after 10pm.

Good Luck trying to reason with the basketball players who show up by the car-loads at 11pm. Hamilton Park is becoming a popular spot for these late night games and if we don't nip it in the bud it's gonna be a nightmare this summer.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
The issue here is not one of people playing basketball, it?s that all city parks close at 10pm (except Grundy Pier) and this ordinance is not enforced. If individuals want to extend these hours, they should take it up with the city council?until then, it would be nice to have relative peace and quiet after 10pm.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to get into a whole thing about the basketball players. I know zero about them except that they play basketball. That's it. They make no threats to me. When I'm walking at night, the presence of other human beings engaged, as far as I can see, in a perfectly legal activity, is more comforting to me than an empty park. But if the complaints about them are legitimately about the noise (and I suspect most if not all of them are), then I sympathize. I've made my fair share of complaints about the police academy chanting noise under my window.

If the park were larger, I would suggest putting the court in the interior to minimize noise.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

The plans have been finalized for over a year and the bid was recently awarded to the highest bidder and is due to be confirmed this week.

The "highest bidder", Really?

LOL, Parkman...I don't think he realizes he wrote it that way, but we get his drift and will have to tease him about this for a while.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

The plans have been finalized for over a year and the bid was recently awarded to the highest bidder and is due to be confirmed this week.

The "highest bidder", Really?

Posted on: 2009/3/23 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Apparently, the cry babies aren't going anywhere either.

Nor those who cower in their bedrooms. Doormat.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently, the cry babies aren't going anywhere either.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
I know a basketball park is essential to a park. BUT, I'd do anything to get that thing off the drawing board for of the renovation (whenever that takes place). I don't mind the basketball. I just mind the screaming and yelling. Some nights it gets unbearable. Called the cops one time. And they never showed.

Welcome to the area, newtothearea!

Let me bring you up to speed a bit. The plans have been finalized for over a year and the bid was recently awarded to the highest bidder and is due to be confirmed this week.

So it appears that the renovation is moving forward!

In other words, the basketball court ain't going anywhere and neither are the screaming, late-night players.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
...Let me bring you up to speed a bit. The plans have been finalized for over a year and the bid was recently awarded to the highest bidder and is due to be confirmed this week.

stevehpna / super_furry -

Is the final plan available for viewing either on a downloadable .PDF or on a website?... If so, where??....

Posted on: 2009/3/23 16:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
I know a basketball park is essential to a park. BUT, I'd do anything to get that thing off the drawing board for of the renovation (whenever that takes place). I don't mind the basketball. I just mind the screaming and yelling. Some nights it gets unbearable. Called the cops one time. And they never showed.

Welcome to the area, newtothearea!

Let me bring you up to speed a bit. The plans have been finalized for over a year and the bid was recently awarded to the highest bidder and is due to be confirmed this week.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

KNOWITALL wrote:
i have more of a problem with dogs barking at 7am on weekends...do i hate dogs nope ..have a dog.. so i'm a self hating dog owner.

on a serious note there is a lack of park space for kids/ young adults but they should close down hoops at 10pm and not litter

Duh! That's because you don't live near the courts! I have seen a guy, a few years back, feigning that he might shoot an opponent after a game argument. I placed myself and my dog between the court and the playground to protect the kids until the guy skulked away.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 16:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
i have more of a problem with dogs barking at 7am on weekends...do i hate dogs nope ..have a dog.. so i'm a self hating dog owner.

on a serious note there is a lack of park space for kids/ young adults but they should close down hoops at 10pm and not litter

Posted on: 2009/3/23 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
I don't know that that's true, Vigilante. I can hear the basketball court noise from my apartment, but it's down the street a bit, so it doesn't really bother me. I think there's only a small number of people who are really close enough to be bothered by it. Whereas the dogs running loose are a menace to other dog owners, pedestrians minding their own business who don't like dogs, parents of small children, etc. To me, as a female who is on the small side, the basketball players are reassuring to me late at night because their presence makes me feel safer when outside no one else is around. That said, I'm sorry they bother some people, and it's always a tricky question to allow sports to be played in a park that's so close to housing. On a nice day, there might be tennis, cricket, football and basketball going on all at once there. I actually think it's great that the park is used as much as it is.

The people playing basketball at midnite, many of which can be described as thugs, make you feel safe? Yet the people walking their dogs are a threat? Once again, read my post because Amy's response is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know that that's true, Vigilante. I can hear the basketball court noise from my apartment, but it's down the street a bit, so it doesn't really bother me. I think there's only a small number of people who are really close enough to be bothered by it. Whereas the dogs running loose are a menace to other dog owners, pedestrians minding their own business who don't like dogs, parents of small children, etc. To me, as a female who is on the small side, the basketball players are reassuring to me late at night because their presence makes me feel safer when outside no one else is around. That said, I'm sorry they bother some people, and it's always a tricky question to allow sports to be played in a park that's so close to housing. On a nice day, there might be tennis, cricket, football and basketball going on all at once there. I actually think it's great that the park is used as much as it is.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 15:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
I can tell it is somewhat of a touch subject. If the demographics say that the majority of the people playing basketball late at night are not white, and me being a white person, wanting to get rid of the basketball court, I must be racist.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:

The general reaction of many involved is that it is not PC to talk about removing the court. Meanwhile that BB court attracts the most noise, the most trouble and an incredible amount of litter. I don't live on the court side of the park but I have called the cops several times when people are out there after 10pm. If you read the various threads on this forum you will see very few people complaining about this problem. Meanwhile there are hundreds of complaints about dog owners. I think what's at play here is a sort of closeted racism or prejudice. In other words, the dog owners who are viewed as well off, mostly white "yuppies" are an easy target for criticism because their behavior is considered over the line or out of character. Meanwhile the behavior of the kids and adults who play basketball at 1am, screaming and yelling is considered normal or expected. They are viewed as less well off and mostly black and hispanic.
There is also the view that you can berate a yuppie for having their dog off leash but if you talk to these kids about ruining your quality of life you might get a beating.
I would suggest that you and your neighbors make a plan to phone-chain the cops whenever this happens. A bunch of people calling would certainly get a response.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
I know a basketball park is essential to a park. BUT, I'd do anything to get that thing off the drawing board for of the renovation (whenever that takes place). I don't mind the basketball. I just mind the screaming and yelling. Some nights it gets unbearable....

Back in 2007, when we were presented with 4 options to vote on, the basketball court was one of the few ?features? that was included on all 4 options. Whatever the reason, it appears to be sacrosanct and has always been. I don?t know why,? but it seems a waste with a full-court basketball court a 4-minute walk west at Enos Jones.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/23 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:
One of the neighborhood women asked him about the HP renovations and his reply was " I don't know anything about that".

Makes perfect sense; no liquor license involved....

Not to mention the park is not clothing optional.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So,... where's the .PDF of the final plan?? When I last looked, it wasnt' on the HPNA website.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
One of the neighborhood women asked him about the HP renovations and his reply was " I don't know anything about that".

Makes perfect sense; no liquor license involved....

Posted on: 2009/3/21 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The brochure for Steven Fulop's campaign states a list of downtown public renovation projects that have received funding because of his efforts. This includes Funding for the HP renovation project.

Steve, would your mind letting us know where are things right now for the park renovation in terms of commitment from the city and developer ? And do you have a time line? Jen, you might comment on this too. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 13:47

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 35 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017