Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A parking garage is not a misuse of land. Your car is your second most valuable piece of property a person's own after their home.

Second most expensive =/= second most valuable.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 20:43

Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A parking garage is not a misuse of land. Your car is your second most valuable piece of property a person's own after their home.

I don't own a car, but I'm pretty sure I would still consider my resume and college degrees my most valuable asset.

Parking garages also saves lives, many doctors tell 60 plus year old individuals, not to shovel snow. How many individuals must shovel their cars after a storm? Snow shoveling is a killer according to many doctors. Even if you move to a condo and are not responsible for sidewalks, you still must shovel your car.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Please a car is not a "valuable piece of property". It is a tool that's value rapidly depreciates. The average person shouldn't consider their Honda Accord an investment, or something that will return any value other then transportation to them. People would be better off presuming their car is worthless the moment they pay for it. Jersey City needs more parking like we need another tax abatement.

Bravo! May I add, "especially in the city". There are people here who park on our crowded streets and still get hysterical about a tap while you're "braille parking" in a tight spot. Painted bumpers are one of the stupidest ideas ever.

This whole thing about what makes a great city comes up again and again, we should have an "urbanism" thread. I just listened to a great podcast on development policy on Strongtowns.org. A theme of the org is parking and roads are NOT what makes a great place.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Well there's this:

http://www.bestparking.com/jersey-city-parking/

It's actually missing a few smaller lots, but you get the idea.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I don't own a car, but I'm pretty sure I would still consider my resume and college degrees my most valuable asset.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Why doesn't someone create a MAP of all the publicly accessible parking lots, garages, etc. It could be something people download and print; or if it were web-based it you could click to information on whether one can park there by the day, hourly, include costs etc.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I would love for someone to point out the places downtown, that weren't already filled with row houses 100 years ago, that haven't had a new deck with lots of empty spaces go up with the new construction.

Newport? Parking decks all over. Paulus hook? Parking decks all over. New constructions in the warehouse district? Parking decks. New buildings on Columbus? Parking decks.

New metroplaza construction? Parking decks. New building on Grove. Parking deck. Liberty Harbor, parking decks.

If you live near VVP or HP there aren't any parking decks, because there have been houses there since before any of us were born.

For the love of... There are f'in parking decks everywhere.

It disheartens me so much to see the huge honking, VISIBLE parking deck in the tower slated for the Pep Boys site. I'm really confused by how this is allowed to happen, over and over again. We have a blank slate to create something awesome, and we are not taking advantage. If you're going to include parking decks, fine - just hide the frigging things.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Municipal parking lots are always eye sores. I don't like this idea.
To car owners, sell your car, use Zipcar or Uber when you need car service. Otherwise use public transit!

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Please a car is not a "valuable piece of property". It is a tool that's value rapidly depreciates. The average person shouldn't consider their Honda Accord an investment, or something that will return any value other then transportation to them. People would be better off presuming their car is worthless the moment they pay for it. Jersey City needs more parking like we need another tax abatement.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

If your car is that valuable to you then your sense of value is wrong.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:28
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I would love for someone to point out the places downtown, that weren't already filled with row houses 100 years ago, that haven't had a new deck with lots of empty spaces go up with the new construction.

Newport? Parking decks all over. Paulus hook? Parking decks all over. New constructions in the warehouse district? Parking decks. New buildings on Columbus? Parking decks.

New metroplaza construction? Parking decks. New building on Grove. Parking deck. Liberty Harbor, parking decks.

If you live near VVP or HP there aren't any parking decks, because there have been houses there since before any of us were born.

For the love of... There are f'in parking decks everywhere.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:05

Edited by moobycow on 2015/3/4 15:34:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/4 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
A parking garage downtown seems like a horrible misuse of land.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I have been unable to find building parking that's less than half a mile from my house. Great, half empty 8A parking that I'm not allowed to rent though.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
We all know that Yvonne is...

You may want to consider how stalking a particular individual on the internet?anonymously no less?compares to the age-old phenomenon of an individual pointing his or her finger at a highly visible, elected leader.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It's really sad when dinosaurs continue to beat the same drum. Progress hurts. Bayonne hasn't awoken yet to the idea that they should be looking in different directions. It's a shame that there are far too many of those same type of people in Jersey City putting up road blocks to that which makes us better...

Posted on: 2015/3/4 13:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
What parking lots on Central Ave.? The one by the police station has very limited space, the one by the post office is used primarily by the Parking Authority & Post Office, the one on Central & Congress is by permit only. The one behind Burger King is used by the Parking Authority & what may look like a wealth of parking isn't all it seems. Streets on the east side of Central are zoned.

As for Bayonne, well big whoppee-doo. There isn't any real shopping there unless you are into Chinese take out & 99 cent stores.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 10:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
We all know that Yvonne is obsessed with the Mayor and must automatically be against everything he does, and we all know she thinks any change in Jersey City is bad, and we all know she is dealing with mild dementia, but when she says people have to walk 10-16 blocks to find a parking lot/garage, where the F is she referring to? Where downtown does it require a 10 block walk to hit one single parking lot or garage?

It's funny because Yvonne has really been reaching to find "issues" over the past year or so, and while obviously failing miserably (remember that crappy video she made about the travesty of cabs parking around the corner?), this really boggles my mind. So the City should focus on building parking lots now? Really? Seriously, try to enjoy your twilight years instead of being the angry old person yelling at everyone to get off their lawn.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 6:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was on Central Avenue, amazing, there was off street parking lots for residents in that area. People downtown do have cars, I believe the city should do a census of cars owners before streets are closed or before new building go up without adequate parking.

Did you know that the parking garages downtown are half empty? Yes, you do know, because that's been spouted here by numerous posters. I have a car downtown and I pay to park in a half empty parking garage.

Those garages are not located in neighborhoods that can use them. It doesn't serve a purpose if you have to walk 10 to 16 blocks to a garage. Downtown is as large as Hoboken. Besides, it is not just downtown that needs parking lots and garages, it is also the rest of the city.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was on Central Avenue, amazing, there was off street parking lots for residents in that area. People downtown do have cars, I believe the city should do a census of cars owners before streets are closed or before new building go up without adequate parking.

Did you know that the parking garages downtown are half empty? Yes, you do know, because that's been spouted here by numerous posters. I have a car downtown and I pay to park in a half empty parking garage.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
if bayonne was really smart, they would put the garage underground and put a plaza (ringed by restaurants)or park atop, and the attractiveness of that area/bayonne would jump.

this approach is very common outside the us

Posted on: 2015/3/4 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/3 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
That's great news for the people of Bayonne, a place where close to 100% of people drive.

In downtown JC less than 50% of people drive.

Generally speaking, there is almost nothing similar between downtown JC and Bayonne other than the fact that they are both in Hudson County.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC should accommodate all of its residents and not push some out who need their cars. I saw the late Anthony Cucci last August, he told me he stopped going to his doctors downtown due to the lack of parking. As community activist, Ward E councilman, Mayor, at-large councilman and school board member, it is disgraceful he had to go facilities outside of downtown. Apparently, downtown residents only want perfect and healthy residents living downtown. It reminds me of the comment made by Ward B candidate who called downtown residents the "beautiful people."

Posted on: 2015/3/3 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Municipal parking lots in the area, plus another garage being built between 23rd and 24th streets make the spot an ideal place for residents to stroll, dine and shop, Davis said.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ne_mayo.html#incart_river

Move to Bayonne, then.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 22:43

Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Municipal parking lots in the area, plus another garage being built between 23rd and 24th streets make the spot an ideal place for residents to stroll, dine and shop, Davis said.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ne_mayo.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/3/3 22:06

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017