Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I can't believe that Fulop would waste Jersey City (and state) resources fighting this.

I don't know how the appeals process works, but any objective person (who understands math) will see how inequitable JC's taxes are and will side with the state.

The appeal will be futile and at best just delay the inevitable. The appeal will just prolong uncertainty about how high taxes will rise downtown and then, by causing delay, just let real estate prices diverge even more from official assessments.

Like a few other people here, I don't understand why there isn't any fury about the lack of equitable taxation from people who live in sections of JC where values haven't increased that much since 1988. There are people who are overpaying by thousands of dollars a year.

Good point, Fulop is using city funds on legal fees to stop a reval. These funds could have gone into the city to improve it. All so he could kick the can down the road for the next mayor.

Exactly!

Gov Christie is absolutely pulling politics with this maneuver. He wants Fulop to take a hit so that his buddy Sweeney can be the next in line. That doesn't negate the fact that Fulop is playing politics with the wallets of those in BeLa, Greenville, Journal Square and the Heights.

It's one giant pissing contest which means there's at least two dicks involved...

Fulop should take the hit, he's the one who's using city funds to delay a much needed reval for political reasons. Sure, Christie doesn't like Fulop but this still needs to be done.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
DanL wrote:
????.., they are continuing the gross inequity of jersey city property taxes where the poorest areas of the city pay to subsidize the wealthiest.

I see people on nj.com saying the same thing. Where is this happening? Below are a few similar properties from all over Jersey City?. 25 X 100 lot, 2 story, 2 unit. Is the argument that houses sell for a lot more in highly developed parts of the city so their taxes should be higher? And in the under developed area?s their taxes should be much lower? Don?t we all use the same city services in the same way? Gee the under developed area?s seem to use them more?fire, emt, and police response.

Also didn?t someone on here say that the total amount of tax money JC takes in isn?t increasing. The reval will just level the amount of tax each one of us pays. That 1/3 rule. 1/3 will have their taxes go up, 1/3 go down, and 1/3 stay the same.

Journal Square: $8,200
Union St.: $3,800
Christ Hospital: $7,800
Danforth: $7,800
North St.: $8,700
Bayview: $5,600
Erie: $11,600
Erie: $16,700
Arlington: $5,500
5th St.: $6,500
5th St.: $6,200

PS - No mocking an old-timer (that means you iGreg) just explain it to me.

Here's a good NJ tax search tool if you didn't know about it...

https://wwwnet1.state.nj.us/Treasury/T ... PS_WEB/Taxlistsearch.aspx

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I can't believe that Fulop would waste Jersey City (and state) resources fighting this.

I don't know how the appeals process works, but any objective person (who understands math) will see how inequitable JC's taxes are and will side with the state.

The appeal will be futile and at best just delay the inevitable. The appeal will just prolong uncertainty about how high taxes will rise downtown and then, by causing delay, just let real estate prices diverge even more from official assessments.

Like a few other people here, I don't understand why there isn't any fury about the lack of equitable taxation from people who live in sections of JC where values haven't increased that much since 1988. There are people who are overpaying by thousands of dollars a year.

Good point, Fulop is using city funds on legal fees to stop a reval. These funds could have gone into the city to improve it. All so he could kick the can down the road for the next mayor.

Exactly!

Gov Christie is absolutely pulling politics with this maneuver. He wants Fulop to take a hit so that his buddy Sweeney can be the next in line. That doesn't negate the fact that Fulop is playing politics with the wallets of those in BeLa, Greenville, Journal Square and the Heights.

It's one giant pissing contest which means there's at least two dicks involved...

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's the inevitable for property taxes to adjust, but who determines fair market value on the properties?

Location alone and or some type of algorithm ?

Seems to make blanket assessments on property values will bring out the best in people.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/5 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
when the mayor Steven Fulop and council president Rolando Lavarro Jr. work against and spend tax payer money to not right a wrong and instead blame the longstanding problem on the governor, trenton and politics, they are continuing the gross inequity of jersey city property taxes where the poorest areas of the city pay to subsidize the wealthiest.

jersey city leads the state in property tax inequity (coefficient of deviation is 39%, the highest in nj) and we should be spending our energy and efforts to mitigate the disruption of the property tax reval by cutting the budget (the amount needed to be raised by taxes) and finding solutions to protect the most vulnerable long-term owner occupants.

Fulop: Order forcing Jersey City reval 'more politics from Trenton'

The state announced yesterday that it will order Jersey City to conduct revaluations on its properties, saying that the city has defied the state constitution's calls for fair and uniform assessments.

City officials said yesterday that Gov. Chris Christie is playing politics by forcing Jersey City to perform a citywide revaluation, comments that indicate a looming showdown on the issue between Christie's and Mayor Steve Fulop's administrations.

Fulop, a Democrat, has sparred with Christie in recent weeks, including by seeking the Republican governor's resignation, yesterday morning called the state's decision to force a reval "more politics from Trenton." His spokeswoman, meanwhile, indicated the city may challenge the order.

"Obviously, this is Trenton politics at work because of the documented and rocky relationship between Mayor Fulop and Governor Christie dating back to Bridgegate," city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

City Council President Rolando Lavarro, a Fulop ally, also questioned the Christie administration's motives.

"It isn't hard to figure out that politics is at work here," Lavarro told The Jersey Journal in an email.

Read more.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Wall Street Journal
http://www.wsj.com/articles/three-n-j ... ax-revaluation-1459813623
For those without access to the WSJ

Three N.J. Localities Face Property Tax Revaluation
Tax officials order Jersey City, Elizabeth and Dunellen to conduct property tax revaluations
By
KATE KING
April 4, 2016 7:47 p.m. ET
New Jersey tax officials ordered Jersey City, Elizabeth and Dunellen to conduct property-tax revaluations, saying the local governments there ?fostered a climate of unfair and inequitable taxation? by neglecting to reassess properties for decades.
The order, issued Monday by the taxation division of the state Department of the Treasury, follows a four-month investigation and marks the first time in 40 years that the state has moved to force local property revaluations. The deadline for the revaluations is November 2017.
?These revaluations will bring the towns back into compliance and ensure that all taxpayers are treated fairly and equally.?
?John Ficara, acting director of the state?s taxation division
The mayors of Jersey City and Elizabeth, which haven?t had revaluations in 28 and 40 years, respectively, criticized the state decree as politically motivated and financially difficult.
John Bruder, the municipal attorney for Dunellen, which hasn?t conducted a revaluation in 34 years, said municipal officials are still reviewing the order but are ?certainly concerned by it.?
Revaluations, which involve the physical inspection of each property parcel and analysis of recent real-estate sales data, are used to determine property assessments. New Jersey state law doesn?t specify a time limit for conducting revaluations, but treasury officials said the process should generally be conducted every 10 years.
State officials said the municipalities? delays in revaluing their properties violate the
state constitution by creating large disparities in properties? assessments compared with their true value.
?These revaluations will bring the towns back into compliance and ensure that all taxpayers are treated fairly and equally, whether they have recently purchased property or are longtime owners,? said John Ficara, acting director of the state?s taxation division.
Elizabeth Mayor J. Christian Bollwage said a revaluation would cost the city $4 million to complete and the November deadline was ?unrealistic.?
?It will never happen,? Mr. Bollwage said. ?To force it all at once demands an extremely onerous burden on taxpayers, especially homeowners.?
A spokeswoman for Jersey City?s mayor, Steven Fulop, said the state unfairly targeted the city because of ?the documented and rocky relationship? between Mr. Fulop, a Democrat, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie a Republican.
?If it wasn?t politics, why not treat all 30 New Jersey municipalities that are in the same situation the same way?? said the spokeswoman, referring to the other localities that haven?t conducted revaluations in at least 25 years.
A spokesman for Mr. Christie said, ?Mayor Fulop is just wrong when he claims Jersey City is ?singled out.??
The state?s taxation division is conducting similar investigations in several other towns in Hudson, Middlesex and Union counties, a spokesman for the division said.
Longtime Jersey City resident Yvonne Balcer said cities should be required to conduct property revaluations every five years to prevent massive tax increases like the one she experienced in 1988, when she said her brownstone?s tax bill jumped from $3,000 to $16,000. The sudden tax swing was too much for some neighbors, she said.
?I had neighbors who lost their homes,? she said.
Ms. Balcer said she hopes a revaluation would redistribute the tax burden more equitably across the city, including to many of the new residential developments currently being built on the city?s waterfront.
Officials in the three cities have 90 days to appeal the state?s order. If the municipalities do conduct property revaluations, the new assessments would impact residents? 2018 tax bills, a state spokesman said.
Write to Kate King at Kate.King@wsj.com

Posted on: 2016/4/5 13:35

Edited by Yvonne on 2016/4/5 13:52:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Name a mayor who didn't kick this can down the road? It's just typical Democrat arrogance. He figured he could do what he wants like they all do here in Hudson county

Posted on: 2016/4/5 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting old NYT?s piece from 1989?

Jersey City's Revaluation Raising Anger and Despair

By JOSEPH F. SULLIVAN
Published: May 3, 1989

JERSEY CITY, May 1? Few communities approaching a property-tax revaluation have faced a more daunting task than this city across the Hudson River from Manhattan. And few have seen the job, once done, create so much anger, despair and bitterness.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/03/nyr ... ng-anger-and-despair.html

Posted on: 2016/4/5 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
I'm worried for downtown. I recently saw that 268 Montgomery had their taxes at $44k. If downtown goes that route then we are all in trouble. I'm hoping for $20-25k.

You are correct, I looked this up on the city's website. I believe this will go down during reval.

And yours will go up, as they should, as you pay under 2% of your real estate's value.

I rather doubt a 2 bedroom paying $8,000 will go up.

2%

Quote:
Especially since one and two family homes pay less.

Reval.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
I'm worried for downtown. I recently saw that 268 Montgomery had their taxes at $44k. If downtown goes that route then we are all in trouble. I'm hoping for $20-25k.

You are correct, I looked this up on the city's website. I believe this will go down during reval.

And yours will go up, as they should, as you pay under 2% of your real estate's value.

I rather doubt a 2 bedroom paying $8,000 will go up. Especially since one and two family homes pay less.

Posted on: 2016/4/5 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

richieveal wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/4 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/4 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Bodipooh is right. It's 2nd grade math. User111 is also right - Why our esteemed Mayor can't do the right thing on this issue defies logic.

If I lived in Greenville or Bela and paid 3% I'd be at City Hall regularly complaining and recruiting neighbors to do the same.

Long time owners downtown should thank their lucky stars that they have 6 figure cap gains via the yuppification of downtown over the last 15 years. They sure as hell wouldn't have made that kind of money in equities...

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have a buddy on Erie and 3rd paying 7k for his brownstone, I am paying 6k for my home up the hill. Fulop needs to stfu and get it done.

Yup. What's amazing about this whole thing is how it reveals Fulop as a such a narcissist. It HAS to be all about people being out to get him, not the actual issue, right? I mean, no one cares about brown people paying 3x the tax of whites, right?

I have said it before: where are all the so called community activists? I can't imagine an easier issue around which to rally masses. Every single ward councilperson outside of DTJC has abdicated his responsibility on this matter, and so have the neighborhood associations. But, above all, I can't fathom why activists are not all over this, shouting from the rafters, demanding fair taxation for the poor and underprivileged.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have a buddy on Erie and 3rd paying 7k for his brownstone, I am paying 6k for my home up the hill. Fulop needs to stfu and get it done.

Yup. What's amazing about this whole thing is how it reveals Fulop as a such a narcissist. It HAS to be all about people being out to get him, not the actual issue, right? I mean, no one cares about brown people paying 3x the tax of whites, right?

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I find it somewhat fascinating that this topic remains shrouded in so much doubt and confusion. It's simple: if your current property tax bill is equivalent to 2.1% of your property value, you are OK. But, if your bill is lower than 2.1%, you are underpaying and will likely see an increase bill once the reval is completed. Of course, if you are overpaying (as is the case with so many properties outside of DTJC) you will get a lower bill. Simply put, real estate taxes are normally assessed as a percentage of market value, and the estimated rate for JC is ~2.1%.

As SOS indicated, for most old construction (like the VVP and HP brownstones paying bills around 10K - 12K) those will likely see their tax burden double.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Fulop: Order forcing Jersey City reval 'more politics from Trenton

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on April 04, 2016 at 1:25 PM, updated April 04, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Gov. Chris Christie is playing politics by forcing Jersey City to perform a citywide revaluation, city officials said today, comments that indicate a looming showdown on the issue between Christie's and Mayor Steve Fulop's administrations.

Fulop, a Democrat, has sparred with Christie in recent weeks, including by seeking the Republican governor's resignation, this morning called the state's decision to force a reval "more politics from Trenton." His spokeswoman, meanwhile, indicated the city may challenge the order.

"Obviously this is Trenton politics at work because of the documented and rocky relationship between Mayor Fulop and Governor Christie dating back to Bridgegate," city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

Read more. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_reval_more_politic.html

Right, as if Fulop isn't playing politics himself. Hypocrite much?

Posted on: 2016/4/4 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Good time to buy property in Ward E. Taxes are going down.

?????????????

Posted on: 2016/4/4 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Good time to buy property in Ward E. Taxes are going down.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Being fair? I guess he thinks giving out 30 year tax abatements plus redevelopment money is fair while Fulop grabs our MUA over payment money. If it is not Fulop's way then everything is wrong is his philosophy.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
sometimes on technical issues, the mayor's press secretary should not comment and instead have someone with more expertise speak for the city - "Morrill today said the state choosing Jersey City, Dunellen and Elizabeth first proves the Christie administration is not being fair." ""If it wasn't politics, why not treat all 30 NJ municipalities that are in the same situation the same way?" she said." unfortunately, Jersey City ranks number 1 in the state out of 566 towns/cities/boroughs in terms of "tax unfairness" or inequity. Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Gov. Chris Christie is playing politics by forcing Jersey City to perform a citywide revaluation, city officials said today, comments that indicate a looming showdown on the issue between Christie's and Mayor Steve Fulop's administrations.

Fulop, a Democrat, has sparred with Christie in recent weeks, including by seeking the Republican governor's resignation, this morning called the state's decision to force a reval "more politics from Trenton." His spokeswoman, meanwhile, indicated the city may challenge the order.

"Obviously this is Trenton politics at work because of the documented and rocky relationship between Mayor Fulop and Governor Christie dating back to Bridgegate," city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/4 17:45

Re: N.J. looking into whether to FORCE Jersey City reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Based on public records, Yvonne has more square footage than me, and she pay less to the city, and she also gets homestead benefit. And she has a parking space.

Really? I pay $8,000 for a 2 bedroom. The mayor pays $7,700 for a single family 3 storied home. Since my children went to private schools I have paid for services I never received. All non-abated homeowners pay what the city bills them. Citizens have no control over that only the city government.

Are you saying you shouldn't pay school taxes?

Anyone who advocates tax abatements is saying they should not pay school taxes. I am not advocating tax abatements and I am saying I paid them while not using them. Others are receiving these services while promoting tax abatements. Those are the phonies.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Based on public records, Yvonne has more square footage than me, and she pay less to the city, and she also gets homestead benefit. And she has a parking space.

Really? I pay $8,000 for a 2 bedroom. The mayor pays $7,700 for a single family 3 storied home. Since my children went to private schools I have paid for services I never received. All non-abated homeowners pay what the city bills them. Citizens have no control over that only the city government.

Are you saying you shouldn't pay school taxes?

Posted on: 2016/4/4 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Really? I pay $8,000 for a 2 bedroom. The mayor pays $7,700 for a single family 3 storied home. Since my children went to private schools I have paid for services I never received.

footage etc is irrelevant. the only thing that matters is the price, and Yvonne is correct the Mayor is paying 1% tax while many owners pay 3-4%. But the "I paid for services I didn't use" argument is a pile of crap that is irrelevant. Should we be giving rebates to every childless person? It's not the way the system is designed. And you paid far less than you should have for decades while howling about the taxes.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/4 17:13

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017