Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: New PATH trains, then more zip
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Question - can the unlimited 30-day SmartLink card be used to swipe somebody else in right after you? For example, if I had a friend with me from out of town, who doesn't have a card?

Posted on: 2008/4/10 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Many are passing up cheapest PATH ride

Thursday, April 10, 2008
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

It's been just over a month since unlimited-ride PATH SmartLink cards were introduced - but, so far, customers are less enthused than might be expected.

Only about 10 percent of riders are using the cards. Since the Port Authority began offering the unlimited ride cards March 2 - in conjunction with the single-ride price hike from $1.50 to $1.75 - about 12,000 have been sold.

The card allows customers to ride as often as they want for a flat price, with 1-day cards for $6, 7-day cards for $18, and 30-day cards for $54, plus a one-time fee for the card. About 37,170 customers applied for a free SmartLink card during a recent Port Authority promotion.

"I just use the card Monday through Friday," said Robert Williams, a legal assistant who lives in Jersey City and works in Manhattan. "When you do the math it's cheaper."

"I just get the 20-trip ride. I don't take the PATH on weekends," agreed Jennifer Rayo, a 32-year-old IT professional who lives in Union City and commutes to Lower Manhattan.

But while the pay-per-trip cards appear slightly cheaper at first glance, a closer look shows they're not.

Most people interviewed compared the price of the 40-trip card - $52 - to the $54 for a 30-day unlimited pass. But most months have about 22 work days a month, or 44 trips. Thus, even if riders only use the card for the daily commute, the unlimited card is slightly cheaper, working out to $1.23 per trip compared to $1.30 per trip for a multi-trip card.

Both are significantly less expensive than the $1.75 paid by people who buy one trip at a time.

"If you're a daily commuter the (unlimited) monthly is the cheapest option," said Marc La Vorgna, a spokesman for the Port Authority. He stressed that the Port Authority is not advocating that people buy the cards, the authority just wants to offer another option.

Surprisingly, 40 percent of PATH riders use the New York City subway MetroCard, which is accepted by PATH.

But unlimited PATH card sales may pick up soon. Some people interviewed said they were still using up multi-trip cards, but would consider using it soon. Others may choose to buy it as they learn more about it.

Ten years after New York City's subways began offering an unlimited card, 49 percent of subway riders use it.

Jigan Thakkar, a 22-year-old graduate student at Stevens Institute who lives in Jersey City, chose to buy PATH's monthly card because he takes it at least six days a week - four days to school, and two to visit his uncle who lives in New York.

"It's a good service," he said. "You can save a lot of money."

Posted on: 2008/4/10 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I have a more prosaic concern than being able to watch TV on the PATH - what will the seats be like? Given the ever expanding asses of many, I can see a few options:

1) Status quo seats that fit a non-obese person but often have two (or 1 1/2, which has the same result) filled by one fatty.
2) Bench seats allowing one to take as much room as one pleases. Given reality, this is probably better than the status quo as few need an entire seat for each asscheek.
3) Seats with dividers between them to restrict people to taking up one seat. This would also keep people from spreading their legs to invade others' space as well. If you can't fit - you stand.
4) Some of the cars being standing only. This would increase capacity and be better for those with strollers/bicycles in off hours.

As sure as I am that #3 won't be the case, one can dream...

Posted on: 2008/3/19 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Also, with just 340 cars in the system, the PA is much smaller client than a system like the MTA. When you buy in bulk, you get a discount, so something like the new rail cars will cost more per car than the MTA pays because the MTA buys in larger quantities.

You can't compare one train system to another.

Sure you can. The new PATH cars are a modified R142 which runs on the 4,5,6, and is being built by the same company.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Also, with just 340 cars in the system, the PA is much smaller client than a system like the MTA. When you buy in bulk, you get a discount, so something like the new rail cars will cost more per car than the MTA pays because the MTA buys in larger quantities.

You can't compare one train system to another.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
As to the platform expansion, first, Newark Penn is already long enough for 10 car trains, and probably 12 car trains. All that needs to be done is cosmetic; there is a gate at the far end of the current platform that probably needs to be moved further down the platform.

I believe also that the Exchange Place platform was lengthened after 9/11 when the station was retrofitted to be a terminus, but on this I might be wrong.

I think the vast majority of the renovation money is going to the World Trade Center site. The current station is temporary, and I would bet a large amount of the money is going towards the permanent station.

Harrison will probably be a much less expensive addition, since its above ground, but Grove Street will likely cost a tremendous amount. Assuming they Cut and Cover, Columbus is going to be a mess for a while too.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JohndeG wrote: The PATH has announced $3.3 billion for upgrades, which seems a bit inflated to me. (Note the upgrades announced as rates were hiked.) I can't see where this $3.3 billion is going, and it's infuriating. Are we getting ripped off? Check out my blog post: http://hawtaction.com/2008/03/33-billion-for-path-upgrades-w.html Let me know where if my assumptions are off! John HAWTaction.com
Umm, lets just throw out your cost assumptions, considering you really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the costs associated with any of those projects. "So, we should add this up now and see how much cheaper I can do this than the PATH:". No... you can't do it cheaper than the PATH can. They know exactly what they're doing, and you have no idea what you're doing. That's like me saying I can build a cheaper airplane than Boeing, and than come up with random numbers about how much I think it should REALLY cost. Guess what? My plane wouldn't fly... and "your PATH" wouldn't work. Now lets ask ourselves this. If the Port Authority of NY/NJ are going to admit to ripping us off to the tune of $1.6 billion dollars, would they advertise it on billboards around the stations? No, they definitely would not. So, there is obviously an explanation for the discrepancy... maybe there were other upgrades they were planning that weren't announced in the press-release, or maybe they're adding in the cost of what their annual maintenance and staffing costs are. Who knows? I'm sure if you did some work like writing them a letter, they might respond and let you know the breakdown. They are legally obligated to let us know where the money is going, so if you try hard enough, you will get a response.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
A few years ago PATH installed a second elevator and staircase in the Pavonia/Newport station, it took them 3 years and around 15-20 million dollars to complete this job.
I can't imagine why this project took so long and why it cost so much for an elevator and a staircase.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JohndeG wrote: The PATH has announced $3.3 billion for upgrades, which seems a bit inflated to me. (Note the upgrades announced as rates were hiked.) I can't see where this $3.3 billion is going, and it's infuriating. Are we getting ripped off? Check out my blog post: http://hawtaction.com/2008/03/33-billion-for-path-upgrades-w.html Let me know where if my assumptions are off! John HAWTaction.com
You don't even know the half of it....what about the cost invloved in labor, maintainence, also equipment and materials to sustain the operations in PATH. To keep people working up to their full potential a decent living wage must be conveyed to all Port workers. From pencils, water, and rubber bands to tools, vehicles, computers, and insurance, you're lucky if the 3.3 bill would put a dent in completing the ongoing upgrades nessessary for PATH to be operational. If you remember the crash docking/landing of the Staten Island Ferry let's not have an instant reply of that episode due to lack of funds. For every action there's a reaction. Look beyond the surface. If you feel that strongly stand behind your convictions and become a PATH advocate join the board link below.... http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/patron.php

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/14 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
The PATH has announced $3.3 billion for upgrades, which seems a bit inflated to me. (Note the upgrades announced as rates were hiked.) I can't see where this $3.3 billion is going, and it's infuriating. Are we getting ripped off? Check out my blog post: http://hawtaction.com/2008/03/33-billion-for-path-upgrades-w.html Let me know where if my assumptions are off! John HAWTaction.com

Posted on: 2008/3/11 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Oh lordy....Heights, are you the person responsible for those public service announcements that loop over and over on the station PA systems?? "Your attention please..."

Oh God no ! if I were then I would be the loopy one.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Oh lordy....Heights, are you the person responsible for those public service announcements that loop over and over on the station PA systems?? "Your attention please..."

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:45

Re: TRASH CAN BLUES -- PATH riders have no place to put litter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
In relation to waste disposal what you bring with you, you are expected to take with you. You are not permitted to eat or drink anything consumable on the PATH trains so why would you have anything to discard in the first place. So that leaves just newspapers, do you actually expect PATH to provide garbage cans just for that? What ever you have on your person should have been discarded prior to the PATH possibly where the it originated. Remember if it has to be thrown out it is probably a distraction anyway. Security is a number one a priority that should supercede all options.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
There's no comparison with trash receptacles on the street and those in the train stations. That's comparing random people walking on the street to commuters, one differs from the other.

Why is there no comparison? Commuters walk on the street, too. My point is, the presence of garbage cans isn't going to deter those inclined to litter. The ban on food & drink on the train simply isn't realistic or enforceable. I'm sure we've all carried a bottle of water or cup of coffee on the train at some point, and most of the time people do take their garbage with them - except on weekends, when there's a entirely different breed of riders on the PATH. Personally, I'd like to flog people I see littering, but then again, they look like the type who carry concealed weapons, too. And what is it with those guys who feel the need to spit phlegm on the tracks every 20 seconds while waiting for a train??? Is that supposed to impress me?

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Security is a number one a priority that should supercede all options.

Glad to see the propaganda is working.

Who are you Joe Goebbels !

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I have been riding the Path daily for the past 3 years and not once have I ever had the need to discard anything. Like others have said, the people who litter will do it anyway whether garbage cans are there or not.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I don't think having trash cans will make that big of a difference. There are just certain types of people who will litter, even if there's a garbage can a few feet away. Look at the Grove Street area - there are plenty of garbage cans on the corners, but I've seen people just toss crap in the street. The weekday commuters generally seem to be more considerate and will cart their trash off the train with them. Some may leave their newspapers on the seat, but that's not a big deal. On the weekends, though, the cars can be downright disgusting. People will leave soft drinks under the seats, they'll spill and the floor will become this sticky mess.

There's no comparison with trash receptacles on the street and those in the train stations. That's comparing random people walking on the street to commuters, one differs from the other.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think having trash cans will make that big of a difference. There are just certain types of people who will litter, even if there's a garbage can a few feet away. Look at the Grove Street area - there are plenty of garbage cans on the corners, but I've seen people just toss crap in the street. The weekday commuters generally seem to be more considerate and will cart their trash off the train with them. Some may leave their newspapers on the seat, but that's not a big deal. On the weekends, though, the cars can be downright disgusting. People will leave soft drinks under the seats, they'll spill and the floor will become this sticky mess.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Security is a number one a priority that should supercede all options.

Glad to see the propaganda is working.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
In relation to waste disposal what you bring with you, you are expected to take with you. You are not permitted to eat or drink anything consumable on the PATH trains so why would you have anything to discard in the first place. So that leaves just newspapers, do you actually expect PATH to provide garbage cans just for that? What ever you have on your person should have been discarded prior to the PATH possibly where the it originated. Remember if it has to be thrown out it is probably a distraction anyway. Security is a number one a priority that should supercede all options.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 12:46

TRASH CAN BLUES -- PATH riders have no place to put litter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
TRASH CAN BLUES
PATH riders have no place to put litter

Monday, March 10, 2008
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Each day Jersey City attorney C.J. Kim buys her coffee near her Lower East Side apartment, drinks it on the train and then holds the empty cup until she hits the street at Exchange Place.

She's not alone. Since the Port Authority got rid of its trash cans after 9/11 citing security reasons, PATH riders have faced the choice between holding their garbage until they leave the station or tossing it on the ground, littering. Most take the high road, but enough people don't so that a train car full of litter has become a familiar sight.

"There's a lot of newspaper and trash because there's nowhere to throw it away," said Kim.

"It's very dirty," said Klaus Wiegner, 41, a Jersey City accountant who commutes from Manhattan. "Even people who want to (properly) throw stuff away have to hold onto it until they leave the station. It's very annoying."

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey removed the cans from PATH platforms to prevent would-be attackers from hiding bombs in them, said Michael De Pallo, PATH's director and general manager. "It's a safety issue," he said. "We're erring on the side of caution."

De Pallo said clear or mesh cans - an idea proposed by several riders - wouldn't work since the trash itself would hide a potential bomb. "We haven't found a trash can we're comfortable with, but if new technology comes out, we'll consider it," he said.

Hidden explosives are also a concern in the subways, but New York City transit opted to keep the cans.

"You want to have customers to have somewhere to put their trash," said Charles Seaton, spokesman for New York City Transit. "There is a balance between customer needs and security." He added that without the cans, more trash would end up on the tracks and in drains, causing fires and flooding.

The Port Authority addresses that concern by hiring workers to pick up the litter, but officials said they couldn't break down how much that service costs, since those workers also perform other jobs. Seaton said NYC Transit couldn't say how much their trash removal costs for the same reason.

Perhaps because of those workers, many riders said that overall the PATH is still cleaner than the subway - although others cited the reverse.

One rider caught littering at the Hoboken Station said emphatically she would have thrown the newspaper out had there been a trash can nearby.

And the patience of other riders may eventually wear thin.

Asked if she had ever been tempted to litter on the PATH, Rita Aronov, an attorney who takes the PATH from Jersey City to her Manhattan office, said, "Tempted? I'm tempted every day."

Posted on: 2008/3/10 6:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/13 3:14
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Any idea if/when the waterfront will span the marina between Paulus Hook and Liberty State Park? That would be SOOOO nice to be able to walk across a foot bridge to the park.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
has construction on the Long Slip bridge begun yet?

"later this fall" has come and gone.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Ok ok, it's not a pedestrian/bike bridge to Manhattan but....

New Pedestrian Bridge to Jersey City
by Carly
Tuesday September 11, 2007, 9:06 AM

The fun doesn't have to end at Observer Highway. Soon you'll be able to walk (or jog) along the Hudson River from Hoboken to the Newport section of Jersey City - and vice versa. NJ TRANSIT announced yesterday the construction of a pedestrian bridge at the Hoboken train terminal, linking Hoboken and Jersey City.

The Long Slip pedestrian bridge will span the east end of the Long Slip Canal, which is right next to the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail station at Hoboken Terminal. The NJ Transit Board of Directors approved the $6.4 million project yesterday. Construction of the bridge will begin later this fall; it's expected to open in spring 2009. Until the bridge opens, a temporary walkway will be built by the LeFrak Organization, the developers of Newport.

"The Long Slip pedestrian bridge is a critical link in the development of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, offering ready access to the transportation options at Hoboken Terminal," said Governor Jon S. Corzine in an NJ Transit press release. "Construction of the bridge will provide residents of Waterfront communities with access to employment, education and recreation centers without the need to get into a car."

The bridge will complete a much-needed section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway. The walkway currently extends along nearly 15 miles in Hudson County. Once fully completed, it will provide a contiguous 18.5 mile walkway system of parks, piers and open space along the Hudson River and Upper New York Bay waterfront, extending from the George Washington Bridge to the Bayonne Bridge.

"The new pedestrian bridge will provide convenient access from other Waterfront communities to all that the City of Hoboken has to offer--both as a transportation hub and a center for recreation, shopping and nightlife," said Hoboken Mayor David Roberts.

A West Cranford firm, Simpson & Brown, received the contract to build the bridge. Much of the money to build the bridge comes from federal funding.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 18:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 7:43
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
It would be nice if....

They drill new tunnels for the midtown PATH train. Tunnels that are straight and can allow the trains to go faster. Use the old tunnels for pedestrians and bicycles.
------
Next month is the 100 year anniversary of the opening of the Hudson Manhattan Railroad (Hudson Tubes).

Posted on: 2008/1/29 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting about the Omaha bridge, that's awesome. I just wish it was the NY/NJ area taking the lead on that kind of innovation.

Instead we have people proposing 16 mile underground highways to bring even more cars onto Long Island

I'm not convinced building across the Hudson would be that much more difficult. One idea would be to incorporate a gradual gradient approach/descent ramp with a Hudson river skywalk along the river on both sides with elevators/escalators for others.

But my background is in economics not engineering so....

Posted on: 2008/1/29 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Matthias you make some great points, but I realize I didn't make myself clear.

Existing Hudson River crossings are for automobile traffic. They've got long approaches and wide footprints. Oh, and emergency vehicle access, in case of a mid-span crisis.

That we can walk/bike across them is an added bonus (for you, maybe. freaks me the hell out, but whatever.)

The longest pedestrian river bridge of that height is about to open in Omaha. It's gorgeous:

http://www.livelyomaha.org/Civic_Omah ... ge/Pedestrian_Bridge.html

and at just over a thousand fee total length, it's one-fifth the size that our bridge would need to be.

I would really love some brainiac engineer to prove me wrong and give us a footbridge. But in the meantime, I'm going to stop whining about it and just take the damn boat.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
yea, but if the city really wants to reduce car traffic, it could close a lane of the holland tunnel and allow only bikers and walkers to use it. I would. Ofcourse the tunnel is already overcrowded with cars and no one would invest that money into pedestrians who dont pay, so its not happening.

Here's a video fo someone who biked through the tunnel

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ceCOy-RM3DU

Posted on: 2008/1/29 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
a Hudson pedestrian bridge would be an engineering miracle / nightmare.

While I do agree that it is unlikely to happen the engineering behind it would hardly be a miracle. There are already bridges spanning the river that are tall enough for ships to get under and account for tides and wind. In fact they were built over 50 - 70 years ago, I'm sure technology and engineering has advanced since then.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
So how would pedestrians get up to it? Elevator? Staircase? Can you even guess how many stairs that would be? Wanna climb that with a bike on your shoulders?
Or maybe a ramp, sloping gently upwards from, oh I dunno, Newark?

I live in the heights, they built a light rail station at the bottom of a high cliff in Hoboken. For Jersey City residents to access it they put in two large capacity elevators.

Since the bridge would not be for heavy motor vehicles I am sure they could also have an accessible ramp.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

And what if there is an emergency mid-span? You're a half-mile walk/bike ride/swim to safety.

Same thing people do on all the other bridges in the world

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Finally, have you ever walked across the GW Bridge? NOT a peaceful stroll. 220 feet above the water, it's freaking terrifying. (The Brooklyn Bridge, by comparison, is a hundred feet lower.)

I bike from Jersey City to Manhattan 2 - 3 times a week via the GWB, I don't find it terrifying at all, in fact every time I go across it I am in awe of the view.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 0:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017