Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I honestly can't fathom why people would drive to Edgewater or Millburn instead of taking the Path to 23rd Street. The TJ's is a 60 second walk from the 23rd Street stop. It is faster than driving anywhere, cheaper than driving anywhere, and much less of a pain in the ass. I guess if you're feeding a family of 6, or buying groceries for a 2-month period, transporting things in a car is easier...but how many people are in that boat? You can fit a lot of stuff in 2-3 of those sturdy paper bags TJ's gives you.

Milburn is a 20min to 1/2 hour drive. If you're shopping on the weekend (which a lot of us do) then it is probably faster to drive to Milburn. Also easier to pick up a bunch of stuff and get it to your place, especially if you're not particularly close to the path.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I honestly can't fathom why people would drive to Edgewater or Millburn instead of taking the Path to 23rd Street. The TJ's is a 60 second walk from the 23rd Street stop. It is faster than driving anywhere, cheaper than driving anywhere, and much less of a pain in the ass. I guess if you're feeding a family of 6, or buying groceries for a 2-month period, transporting things in a car is easier...but how many people are in that boat? You can fit a lot of stuff in 2-3 of those sturdy paper bags TJ's gives you.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tip, Monroe! I will be adding a stop to my next trip to Millburn. I generally don't eat meat, but when I do, I try to make it something good and/or memorable!

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Asif said:
Quote:

Bodhi, did it ever occur to you that not everyone has a car? I use to have one(never let family borrow it...my poor poor car).

For people who dont have cars, the easiest option is hitting up TJ's or WF in the city, which earlier in this thread I advocated. What I find silly is to drive out to Edgewater, when driving to Millburn is so much easier and faster. And, that was my only point.

And if you're in the Whole Foods/Target area you're minutes away from Church's Kitchen on Springfield Avenue in Vauxhall-east of WF/Target. Best fried chicken anywhere. Closed Sun/Mon. Be prepared to wait 20 minutes. Judy Church and her husband cook everything to order, with love.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Asif said:
Quote:

Bodhi, did it ever occur to you that not everyone has a car? I use to have one(never let family borrow it...my poor poor car).

For people who dont have cars, the easiest option is hitting up TJ's or WF in the city, which earlier in this thread I advocated. What I find silly is to drive out to Edgewater, when driving to Millburn is so much easier and faster. And, that was my only point.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I've had zebra. It was some of the best grilled red meat I've ever had. If horse tastes anything like it's stripey cousin, I'd line up to try it. Don't knock what you haven't tried - unless it's dogs or cats; one must draw the line somewhere.

Maybe the new JC Whole Foods will have an African Game section.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
neverleft wrote:
(OK back to the WF and TJ discussion, although IKEA does make a mean Swedish Meatball)
quote]
not so fast, hold your horses, neigh...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/wor ... ected.html?pagewanted=all

Oh get over it! We had a friend of my daughter's who was born in Uzbekistan over for dinner tonight and the topic came up, she likes horsemeat just fine but can pass on the horsemilk. Horse is like a cow you can ride in central Asia! Does WF have grassfed horsemeat sausages?

BTW Neverleft, Wednesday is rib day at Ikea! Not too bad. I'm not fond of the meatballs, don't compare to my moms.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
[quote]
neverleft wrote:
(OK back to the WF and TJ discussion, although IKEA does make a mean Swedish Meatball)
quote]
not so fast, hold your horses, neigh...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/wor ... ected.html?pagewanted=all

Posted on: 2013/7/26 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
brewster wrote: Quote:
So, YOU'RE the one!! Are you familiar with the Coulton Ikea song?

Ha that song is great I never heard it before. I still have my letter from the IKEA guy about building in the NYC area. I try to think of ways I could approach him for money. After all because of me they made millions.

I still do dabble with IKEA stuff , but I am into hacking it now?

IkeaHackers.net is a site about modifications on and repurposing of Ikea products. Hacks, as we call it here, may be as simple as adding an embellishment, some others may require power tools and lots of ingenuity.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/

(Asif .. I know the feeling I had a car totaled by a ?family? member once)

Posted on: 2013/7/26 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/26 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I must have said this at least three or four times here in JC LIST. Why bother with TJs or Whole Foods in Edgewater, or TJs in Clifton, when you can easily drive out to Millburn/Vauxhall and get your WF/TJs fetish sated in one place, all within a mile of each other. And, if big box retail is your thing, you can also hit up a Target Greatland over there, next to the WF, as well as a Home Depot and a Best Buy. 15 minutes, tops, from DTJC and much nicer patrons than Clifton, or any of the local choices. The only reason I ever have to go out to Edgewater to do some food shopping is Mitsuwa (there is simply no equivalent anywhere) but there are ways to get good quality Asian ingredients elsewhere.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
I started to write the head of IKEA letters asking him why IKEA wasn?t closer to the NYC area. (paper and pen not PC? yes it was years ago) The area that would probably go crazy for his furniture. He did write me back and said that they have no plans at this time to build closer. Low and below one day I got a letter from him saying they were planning to build closer soon and they did. (that store in Elizabeth is because of me)

So, YOU'RE the one!! Are you familiar with the Coulton Ikea song?

(excerpt)
So rent a car or take the bus
Lay your cash down and put your trust
In the land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
Billy the bookcase says hello
And so does a table whose name is Ingo
And the chair is a ladder-back birch but his friends call him Karl

Ikea: just some oak and some pine and a handful of Norsemen
Ikea: selling furniture for college kids and divorced men
Everyone has a home
But if you don't have a home you can buy one there

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/wiki/Ikea/Lyrics

Posted on: 2013/7/26 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This place reminds me of the Garden of Eden store in Hoboken. Montvale N.J. may be out of the way but at least it is in Bergen County. Another store near this one is the Market Basket in Franklin Lakes. http://www.marketbasket.com/

Posted on: 2013/7/25 16:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure people from Staten Island can find a supermarket without having to pay the Bayonne Bridge toll to go shopping. And Bayonne has an excellent newish Shop Rite downtown. I can't see people from Newark fighting the two bridge traffic then the 440 traffic to go supermarket shopping either.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I don?t know if this was mentioned in the thread. But did you know that a TJ?s opened up in Clifton, NJ around Nov 2012? It is on rt 3W past the Clifton Strip Mall and near the Tick Tock Diner. It is supposedly a big store with a big parking lot. I don?t think they sell booze look it up. Not a long drive at all.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/trader-joes-clifton

I don?t get the obsession with WF and TJ food is food I go to Stop & Shop in Bayonne. Maybe it is because I am older now..who knows it all comes out the same. Although I did have a furniture obsession in my past. I fell in love with IKEA the closest one was in King of Prussia, PA. I would drive from JC to PA a 100 mile one way two hour trip just for a cool looking TV stand or lamp.

I started to write the head of IKEA letters asking him why IKEA wasn?t closer to the NYC area. (paper and pen not PC? yes it was years ago) The area that would probably go crazy for his furniture. He did write me back and said that they have no plans at this time to build closer. Low and below one day I got a letter from him saying they were planning to build closer soon and they did. (that store in Elizabeth is because of me)

So maybe bugging WF and TJ?s with letters and comments will get one in JC. It worked for me (lol) although by the time IKEA did build the Elizabeth store I lost interest in IKEA furniture. I moved onto the good stuff...the farty old people?s furniture.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but The Fresh Market (http://www.thefreshmarket.com/) would be perfect in DTJC. They are a newer chain that I would describe as a hybrid Whole Foods / Trader Joes / Fairway. They operate in a much smaller footprint than your typical Fairway / Whole Foods and are in active growth mode as a relatively new public company.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The A&P guy knows what he's doing to. I got dry scallops there as good as what I got at Citeralla the week before. He's very honest about what's best for the day, what's been frozen, etc.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I wonder if one of the reasons TJ's won't come to JC is because of the higher crime rate???

I doubt it. Trader Joe?s opened their Philadelphia location across the street from a peep show.

Insurance reasons they are worried about loss prevention. Even though there is a peep show in Phily it is still Phily. It is easier to matain a business in a large metropolitan city then J.C.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 14:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I wonder if one of the reasons TJ's won't come to JC is because of the higher crime rate???

I doubt it. Trader Joe?s opened their Philadelphia location across the street from a peep show.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

If that is part of the reasoning, it could be negated by setting up in Bayonne. You would attract people from Newark, JC, Hoboken, and even Staten Island.

How I want a TJs or Fairway.......Whole Paycheck not so much but i wouldn't mind......even though i only shop there for one or two items now and then.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 9:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erstrecs wrote:
Fairway opened today in Chelsea, on 25th

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss another spot to grab some groceries on the way home from work.

not as good as here, but it'll do!

Posted on: 2013/7/25 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

with Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both in that neighborhood already, it's easy to go to any or all of them in one trip and then hop back on the PATH

And THIS is probably a big reason why none of these stores will feel the need to open here anytime soon. Given how easily accessible they already are to the people most likely to patronize a location here in JC, there really is no need to open a location here to get our business. A PATH ride to the 23rd Street station, from Grove St, is about 17 minutes, with an extra two or three minutes to make it down to TJ's or the new Fairway. Even during Summer, you can make it back with frozen goods still mostly intact and not thawed out.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 1:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
Fairway opened today in Chelsea, on 25th and 6th, in case anyone is interested and doesn't know.

with Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both in that neighborhood already, it's easy to go to any or all of them in one trip and then hop back on the PATH (I went to Fairway and Trader Joe's today).

anyway, I'd love any of those downtown (Trader Joe's the most), but in the meantime, Chelsea works pretty well too.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I'd love to add "any major Chinese supermarket" to that list. Although I'm certainly biased

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
For the record, I also prefer JC. Also for the record, I'd be down for any one of the following: Whole Foods, Trader Joe's Wegman's, or Seagull's Fish Market.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:
JC is a natural fit for any of the companies we are talking about, whether it is TJ or WF or Fairway.

I wouldn't bet on that - perhaps all the diversity and the fact that JC has a pretty hardcore/crime troubled ghetto might be negatives in their new store process.

Harlem Whole Foods will be finished sometime in 2015 @ 125th Street.

I would absolutely take DTJC over Harlem. That was my point to my original reply quoted above. Whole Foods figures it's a short train ride to get the things you need from their store, or you can always pay their $15 delivery fee. Like I said before, I would rather a Trader Joe's or Fairway in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
For the record, I also prefer JC. Also for the record, I'd be down for any one of the following: Whole Foods, Trader Joe's Wegman's, or Seagull's Fish Market.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 22:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Last I heard and saw, the Whole Foods in Harlem did not even break ground yet.

If it does eventually get built, it's only because of tax breaks and political games like itgirl mentioned below.

It's all a matter of opinion but I'll take DTJC over Harlem any day.

Small pockets of Harlem have gentrified but overall there are considerably more housing projects, poverty and high crime areas when compared to DTJC.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 22:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
NOT having a Whole Foods, is NOT evidence that DTJC is NOT as gentrified as Harlem. Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:
JC is a natural fit for any of the companies we are talking about, whether it is TJ or WF or Fairway.

I wouldn't bet on that - perhaps all the diversity and the fact that JC has a pretty hardcore/crime troubled ghetto might be negatives in their new store process.

An example of how Harlem has gentrified WAY faster than DTJC. Who would have thought such a thing 10 years ago?

As in the case of much of the other recent big box retail development in Harlem, I'd say the only thing it's evidence of is the corporation receiving a huge tax break for building a store which will cater largely to the Morningside/Inwood/Riverdale crowd who are tired of slogging further downtown.

To speak to the general topic, I'll also point out that Brooklyn is only just getting its first WF this fall (maybe), and I'd think additional development would be slated there before JC or Hoboken.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
NOT having a Whole Foods, is NOT evidence that DTJC is NOT as gentrified as Harlem. Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:

An example of how Harlem has gentrified WAY faster than DTJC. Who would have thought such a thing 10 years ago?

Actually that's exactly what that means, but who gives a rat's ass. I'd rather have a Trader Joe's or Fairway here anyway.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
SilveryJessica wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/24 20:33

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017