Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The Coffee Shop near Grove PATH
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
OMG, I got off the Path around 1am on Saturday night, and this place was not only jam-packed, but the scene was really awful. It was a frightening little slice of Hoboken. The music, the clientele, the volume. Really terrible, I'm very disappointed with this place.

I think of this as a positive development, in that it keeps the folks who actually want that sort of scene away from the quieter places I like. There are plenty of other food and drink options nearby, and they're not all going to turn into the same loud bro bar overnight.

Too bad we didn't get an old school burgers and malt shop in this location. a 50s style diner that is open late (or 24 hours) would have been ideal in this location.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
OMG, I got off the Path around 1am on Saturday night, and this place was not only jam-packed, but the scene was really awful. It was a frightening little slice of Hoboken. The music, the clientele, the volume. Really terrible, I'm very disappointed with this place.

I think of this as a positive development, in that it keeps the folks who actually want that sort of scene away from the quieter places I like. There are plenty of other food and drink options nearby, and they're not all going to turn into the same loud bro bar overnight.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Newark Avenue will soon be like Hoboken
and not in a good way with all these bars.

Oh, please. So many Chicken Littles in JCLIST. Newark Avenue will NEVER be like Hoboken. There are a ton of restaurants interspersed with the bars. We don't have any clubs on Newark Ave. If anything, Newark Ave is blooming very nicely with a nice combination of restaurants, bars and other businesses.

Hoboken never set out to be Bro'boken. Restaurant owners noticed how much the ever-younger clientele was spending on booze, and adjusted their business model - and TV count - accordingly.

It can absolutely happen here.

Our restaurant row contains how many liquor licenses? And what's the average lifespan of a Jersey City restaurant? If owners don't see a fast profit on their fine-restaurants-that-serve-booze, you can be damn sure they'll morph into bars-that-serve-food.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
The signage on the glass makes me chuckle. It's something like:

BAGELS
WINGS
BEER
LIVE TARANTULAS
COFFEE

at least that's how I remember it. And it's called "the coffee shop" but it appears to have two bars. It's like something out of one of those dreams you have where nothing makes sense. "Dystopian dreamscape" is actually another name that appeals to me more than "the coffee shop bistro wine bar speakeasy."

Nailed it. I've been laughing at this as well. The signage must've been derived from some Google search on "most popular restaurant food items over the last five years" and they went and decaled their windows with it.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mrasg1 wrote: What other businesses? Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: Quote:
mrasg1 wrote: Newark Avenue will soon be like Hoboken and not in a good way with all these bars.
Oh, please. So many Chicken Littles in JCLIST. Newark Avenue will NEVER be like Hoboken. There are a ton of restaurants interspersed with the bars. We don't have any clubs on Newark Ave. If anything, Newark Ave is blooming very nicely with a nice combination of restaurants, bars and other businesses.
Are you serious? Talk about spewing nonsense without having a clue: - New frozen yogurt place at the corner of Newark and Grove (Downtown Yogurt) - Next to Skinner's is a pet shop (Fussy Friends) - Next to Roman Nose is Word (Bookstore and coffee shop) - The Tea Shop - Gia Gelato - the new organic market a just west of Union Republic - various real estate offices There are many other new ( <5 years) businesses that are not restaurants or bars. These are just the ones I could think of while typing this reply.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

What are "all these bars"?

Posted on: 2014/10/5 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
What other businesses?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
This place definitely has a major identity crisis. I would much rather see a "real" bistro rather than this wanna be frat bar.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
The signage on the glass makes me chuckle. It's something like:

BAGELS
WINGS
BEER
LIVE TARANTULAS
COFFEE

at least that's how I remember it. And it's called "the coffee shop" but it appears to have two bars. It's like something out of one of those dreams you have where nothing makes sense. "Dystopian dreamscape" is actually another name that appeals to me more than "the coffee shop bistro wine bar speakeasy."

Posted on: 2014/10/3 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not all that upset with the place. 12 oz pours instead of a pint, but whatever, the beer's cheap enough to warrant it. As long as they don't up the price (they probably will like they did their pizza deal next door), it's well worth it.

Also they've got Boulevard Farmhouse, which is a pretty fantastic beer that's pretty rare in this area.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Took a peak at the taps, no craft beers - unless you would consider Sam Adams-types craft beers.

(Wasn't this place touting 23 taps of craft beer?)

I would be happy to have a place that serves European beers for a change. Even Zeppelin has switched over to a lot of American Craft at this point, and although they still run some of my German favs, they don't clean their lines enough so the beer can taste pretty terrible sometimes.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Walked in, and walked directly out, on a Friday night a few weeks ago when it just opened.

The scene - dimly lit, loud Z100 music playing, and about 4 people standing in the corner of the bar. Took a peak at the taps, no craft beers - unless you would consider Sam Adams-types craft beers.

(Wasn't this place touting 23 taps of craft beer?)

My expectations were pretty low, but this place was subpar even with low expectations. What a waste of a pretty good looking space, in a great location.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
This place is open.

It's exactly what you'd expect given the owner's other ventures.

4 for 5 PBRs is a hell of a good deal though.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
this corner is just crying out for a classic, all-night diner.

Exactly. Somebody stands to make a lot of money if they open one anywhere near Grove Street. The food doesn't even have to be that good, it just has to be greasy and open late (4am), if not 24-hr.

We must be the only quasi-gritty neighborhood in America with zero greasy spoon diners, but TWO sleek, fancy dancy "diners".

I do like Brownstone, though.

There was the Tunnel Diner, over by the Holland Tunnel entrance that closed a few years ago. Damn do I miss that place - I think it met ALL the standard requirements of being a real "greasy spoon diner" 1) open 24 hours,
2) kitchen right out front that you can see from the counter, 3) breakfast food anytime, 4) cash only, 5) owned by Greeks and most importantly 6) the "building" was built from what was an ACTUAL train's diner car (I think). What I wouldn't do for one of their milkshakes right now. I guess the 2008 recession was too much for them. In any case, there is the White Mana Diner on Tonnele, which satisfies all the requirements except #6, so not bad.

Brownstone isn't bad, I've eaten there once in a while, although it falls short on #1, a crucial element in my opinion. City Diner also falls short on #1 and can be pretty pricey (I miss that space's predecessor too, the Flamingo).

I finally discovered the Flamingo and thought, "at last! I've found my diner!"

and then it closed a month later.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm not excited for this new hodgepodge of mediocrity next door one bit.

That's actually a better/catchier name than "The Coffee shop/Grove Bistro/The Wine Bar/The Speakeasy." Just a big sign that says HODGEPODGE. Kind of like Shenanigans.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 21:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/28 20:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MuffyZack wrote:
I heard the coffee shop is owned by the Bistro next door. Yes,
that restaurant at the Grove St station with the neon digital sign
by the restaurant sign.

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by that stupid sign. I'm not a fan of the owner, and wouldn't eat at the Grove Street Bistro (how many placed named Bistro do we need in Jersey City?) after hearing all the stories about bad service and bland food, but the place does look decent. But then they have to go and put some ugly ass digital sign in the window advertising happy hour specials on appletinis or whatever. It looks tacky.

I'm not excited for this new hodgepodge of mediocrity next door one bit.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Honestly, the owner of this place should spend a day walking around any decent neighborhood in Brooklyn and take notes on the restaurants and bars, rather than modeling something after Hobroken.

Great advice for anyone opening a business in JC. Please don't turn this place into Hoboken.

too late.The bros and their broads are here.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
this corner is just crying out for a classic, all-night diner.

Exactly. Somebody stands to make a lot of money if they open one anywhere near Grove Street. The food doesn't even have to be that good, it just has to be greasy and open late (4am), if not 24-hr.

We must be the only quasi-gritty neighborhood in America with zero greasy spoon diners, but TWO sleek, fancy dancy "diners".

I do like Brownstone, though.

There was the Tunnel Diner, over by the Holland Tunnel entrance that closed a few years ago. Damn do I miss that place - I think it met ALL the standard requirements of being a real "greasy spoon diner" 1) open 24 hours,
2) kitchen right out front that you can see from the counter, 3) breakfast food anytime, 4) cash only, 5) owned by Greeks and most importantly 6) the "building" was built from what was an ACTUAL train's diner car (I think). What I wouldn't do for one of their milkshakes right now. I guess the 2008 recession was too much for them. In any case, there is the White Mana Diner on Tonnele, which satisfies all the requirements except #6, so not bad.

Brownstone isn't bad, I've eaten there once in a while, although it falls short on #1, a crucial element in my opinion. City Diner also falls short on #1 and can be pretty pricey (I miss that space's predecessor too, the Flamingo).

Posted on: 2014/7/20 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
The Coffee Shop, that's not a real coffee shop, is a horrible name, reminds me of 6th borough. Can't we be a little more creative? Feels like disneyland! Fake as hell. Zero authenticity, 100% cheese. We'll see how it turns out.

I will say that anything is better than empty though!

Posted on: 2014/7/20 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I hope the three places all do well. The food might stink or the owner might be a schmuck, but it sure makes a good first impression for people getting out at Grove PATH for the first time. Of course, I'd prefer that all the TVs were transvestites and not televisions; I bet neither Brooklyn nor Hoboken could top that.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to tell you guys, but this place is gonna be a mesh of Brooklyn and Hoboken... Everyone from Both neighborhoods are spilling into this area and they will bring their culture with him.

Yours Truly,
An Italian American, Brooklyner for over 30 years, and Hoboken day drinker,
Joe

Posted on: 2014/7/19 15:13
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Honestly, the owner of this place should spend a day walking around any decent neighborhood in Brooklyn and take notes on the restaurants and bars, rather than modeling something after Hobroken.

Great advice for anyone opening a business in JC. Please don't turn this place into Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
why call the place coffee shop if its actually a bar. i actually like grove bistro

Posted on: 2014/7/19 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Alright guys, I walked by this Coffee Shop tonight and peeked in for a few minutes. I see a ton of wires along the ceiling in preparation for the 22 TVs that will apparently be installed. I have to say, what a really nice, great space it would be WITHOUT having all those TVs. In fact, the layout suggests having absolutely zero TVs. It's kind of a cozy space, unlike the cavernous clusterfvck next door. What a cool place it could be if it was dimly lit, had some craft beers on tap, quality whiskeys, quality wines, and a few lit candles on the bar instead of big honking TVs.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
The entirety of that boondoggle is mediocre. I hope to see it go under sooner rather than later.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Lots of people go to bars to watch sports. Hanging out drinking and listening to drunk people cackling and woot-wooting isn't exactly appealing to everyone. Why don't you guys just admit that this is what you want.

http://www.vice.com/read/im-a-waitress-not-a-sex-worker

Posted on: 2014/2/1 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MuffyZack wrote:
I heard the coffee shop is owned by the Bistro next door. Yes,
that restaurant at the Grove St station with the neon digital sign
by the restaurant sign.

you mean the multiple posts in here and other threads regarding that place didn't tip you off?

Posted on: 2014/2/1 16:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017