Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: NYT: Jersey City May Require Paid Sick Leave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I've worked minimum wage jobs before. I've worked at McDonald's flipping burgers (and I recommend that everyone do this at least for a short time in their lives), I've worked as a minimum wage messenger in Manhattan and I've worked as a minimum wage bus boy at a caterer. It was the lack of benefits at these jobs that contributed to my motivation to improve my skills so that I can get a better job.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have worked over 40 years in many different companies, including Catholic Schools. Benefits have always included sick time.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To luvHomeMyJC, you did not address this issue, why is the mayor advocating sick time when his agenda is to hire new special police without benefits? Benefits mean sick time too!

"Benefits" when used as a general term, does not mean sick time. "Benefits" means primarily health care. How could Fulop push through Specials and some how have them exempted from another law he is backing. Just looking at the variety of experiences posted in this thread (by people who no doubt receive "benefits" from their employer) the granting of sick time is by no means automatically a part of a "benefits" package.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To luvHomeMyJC, you did not address this issue, why is the mayor advocating sick time when his agenda is to hire new special police without benefits? Benefits mean sick time too!

Posted on: 2013/9/8 1:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
I don't quite understand what the argument really is about?

If I know my employee is abusing the sick day policy i.e. then they will be terminated. With the given economy there are plenty of unemployed.

On the other hand, having a worker come into work sick is actually a loss as they are not 100% productive and there is the chance that they will make others sick. It is better that they stay home and take care of themselves.

The way I see it is the sooner employers start treating their employees "right" the employees will turn around and be productive and will stay. Yes there will be some that will abuse and take advantage but then why penalize everyone because of a few bad apples?

Thoughts ... Comments ?

Posted on: 2013/9/8 1:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yvonne wrote: Steven Fulop's plan for special police officers - no benefits Policing paper - final version on logo
Yikes. I hope that's not true . I'm vehemently opposed to creating a two tier workforce.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Steven Fulop's plan for special police officers - no benefits Policing paper - final version on logo

Posted on: 2013/9/7 22:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/7 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
If you know your employer doesn't offer sick days how about making sure you save enough money so that you can easily afford to take an unpaid sick day from time to time?

Have you ever worked a minimum wage job? Lived paycheck to paycheck? For the type of workers this bill addresses, this is much easier said than done.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
So one should take a sick day when their kid gets sick? Nice..

Say you have a kid in school how gets the flu and no one else at home to watch them. What is the alternative to taking time off from work?

Not the company's problem. This would never fly, you know how many kids get sick day after day. No one would work. You might as well have work days instead of sick days.

Not sure is this is sarcasm or not, because this is actually how it works pretty much everywhere and at any company that does have sick days. Again, what is the alternative?

No sarcasm here I guess what you mean is that the parents are using their own company sick days for their kids illnesses. What companies would allow special sick days for parents to tend to their children ? In the company I work for if you are not sick and take a sick day it is considered theft of services. Years ago folks would call in sick to go fishing or to a ball game.

Exactly right. So now not only are business owners penalized if their employees get sick but they are also penalized if their employees' family members get sick.
This is just another politician using somebody else's money to purchase votes. And it's a discouraging sign to see Fulop taking a step that I would expect from your typical "I'm happy to spend other people's money" politician.
If you decide to have a child you should make sure you are working for an employer that offers paid sick days (if that is a concern to you). The government shouldn't have to make sure of that for you.
If forcing employers to give out paid sick days is such a good idea then why stop at just 5 days? Why not make it 10 or 20 sick days? Apparently the more paid sick days granted is without a doubt a good thing. So why not just do it?

Why does the govt enforce child labor laws? Or minumum wage laws? Or sexual discrimination laws?

You say employers are being penalized. I'm saying the govt is making sure there is a basic working standard that conforms to basic human decency.

Think about it from the laws I just mentioned.

Why is the employer being penalized for being forced to maintain pregnant woman (whose productivity is of course decreased), or not allowed to hire underage children (some who may have higher productivity than older adults), or forced to hire one gender versus the other?

You call it a penalty and I call it human decency. I guess that is where we differ

Posted on: 2013/9/5 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Where the hell do all of you have jobs? Literally every single job I have ever had after high school came with an allotment of sick days that also covered family members.

Somehow the rest of the developed world manages to get by with things like rational sick day policies but in the US it would lead to Armageddon for the private sector. Apparently our companies are run like crap.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you know your employer doesn't offer sick days how about making sure you save enough money so that you can easily afford to take an unpaid sick day from time to time?

Posted on: 2013/9/5 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

Say you have a kid in school how gets the flu and no one else at home to watch them. What is the alternative to taking time off from work?

Not the company's problem. This would never fly, you know how many kids get sick day after day. No one would work. You might as well have work days instead of sick days.

Not sure is this is sarcasm or not, because this is actually how it works pretty much everywhere and at any company that does have sick days. Again, what is the alternative?

No sarcasm here I guess what you mean is that the parents are using their own company sick days for their kids illnesses. What companies would allow special sick days for parents to tend to their children ? In the company I work for if you are not sick and take a sick day it is considered theft of services. Years ago folks would call in sick to go fishing or to a ball game.

Exactly right. So now not only are business owners penalized if their employees get sick but they are also penalized if their employees' family members get sick.
This is just another politician using somebody else's money to purchase votes. And it's a discouraging sign to see Fulop taking a step that I would expect from your typical "I'm happy to spend other people's money" politician.
If you decide to have a child you should make sure you are working for an employer that offers paid sick days (if that is a concern to you). The government shouldn't have to make sure of that for you.
If forcing employers to give out paid sick days is such a good idea then why stop at just 5 days? Why not make it 10 or 20 sick days? Apparently the more paid sick days granted is without a doubt a good thing. So why not just do it?

Posted on: 2013/9/5 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Well, my employer provides sick days to care for others at home.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I support this in practice but am not sure how legislation will help. I'm thinking this could just cause employers to lower their wages and/or hire less workers so they stay under the 10 employee threshold.

Ah, conservative politics in action. Create a law that forces business to do what is best for the employer, keep them happy, promote a healthy working environment and a positive working environment, all things that help businesses grow and become more successful and the business response is theorized to be to cut wages, hours and workforce. Awesome!

Years ago, these basic workers rights were fought for, tooth and nail, by unions. The decline of union membership is directly related to the decline in working conditions.

The fact that any company could get away with firing someone for being sick is disgusting. But that's what the political climate has been working towards...

Huh? Who is talking about passing laws for employers?

Posted on: 2013/9/5 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Of course they are using their own sick days and not special days just for kids sick days. In every company I have every worked for a sick day was allowed for the care of a family member who got sick. This is also the case for public workers.

"Sick leave may be used by state employees who are unable to work because of personal illness or injury, exposure to contagious disease, or care, for a reasonable period of time, of a seriously ill member of the employee's immediate family; or death in the employee's immediate family (NJ Rev. Stat. Sec. 4A:6-1.3)."

This seems to very different from calling in sick to go to a ballgame.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:50
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to point out the obvious, when Fulop campaigned, he talked about special 2 police to add to the force. These special police officers would not receive benefits.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I support this in practice but am not sure how legislation will help. I'm thinking this could just cause employers to lower their wages and/or hire less workers so they stay under the 10 employee threshold.

Ah, conservative politics in action. Create a law that forces business to do what is best for the employer, keep them happy, promote a healthy working environment and a positive working environment, all things that help businesses grow and become more successful and the business response is theorized to be to cut wages, hours and workforce. Awesome!

Years ago, these basic workers rights were fought for, tooth and nail, by unions. The decline of union membership is directly related to the decline in working conditions.

The fact that any company could get away with firing someone for being sick is disgusting. But that's what the political climate has been working towards...

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:22
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/5 13:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

Quote:

Dahood wrote:
There are so many unemployed people in JC. They should be helped first.

They can't do both? This is a small bill that shouldn't distract from any other measures. Government is not setup in such a way that just working more hours on a specific problem (unemployment) makes the results come faster. They write bills, proposals etc, send those out for feedback (or implement them) and then they wait for some result to come back. In the meantime they work on other problems.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This is a political move. There are so many unemployed people in JC. They should be helped first. Fulop is aiming for higher office and "made city government more efficient and reduced property taxes by cutting wasteful spending" is something that looks good on a Republican r?sum?. This paid sick leave thing will certainly look good on a Democrat's resume.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
This is a political move. There are gazillion things to fix in JC and Fulop wants to do this? Ridiculous..

Employers groups blast Fulop bill

Yes, because it is a zero sum game. By doing this he is very obviously not doing any else at all. In fact I bet just yesterday he spent 14 hours just working on this bill.

Plus, this is exactly the sort of thing that has a large impact on people's lives. It seems silly until you're the single parent who gets fired because their kid got sick and you missed a day of work.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 11:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Sometimes the US and NJ is ass-backwards when it comes to basic employee conditions of employment in my opinion. Paid sick leave entitlements have been in place in western countries for years and regardless of employee numbers. Many have conditions like a doctors certificate is required for the payment and the amount per year, but its paid sick leave.
I've done a few contractual job for overseas companies and there has always be a component of paid sick leave with conditions - The UK, Canada, France, Germany, NZ, Australia have all paid sick leave for employees with conditions

hmm.. I'm thinking this will also motivate employers to hire more independent contractors and less employees so they don't have to deal with these types of benefits.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes the US and NJ is ass-backwards when it comes to basic employee conditions of employment in my opinion. Paid sick leave entitlements have been in place in western countries for years and regardless of employee numbers. Many have conditions like a doctors certificate is required for the payment and the amount per year, but its paid sick leave.
I've done a few contractual job for overseas companies and there has always be a component of paid sick leave with conditions - The UK, Canada, France, Germany, NZ, Australia have all paid sick leave for employees with conditions

Posted on: 2013/9/5 2:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/5 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This is a political move. There are gazillion things to fix in JC and Fulop wants to do this? Ridiculous..

Employers groups blast Fulop bill

Posted on: 2013/9/5 2:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
There's a petition circulating supporting the paid sick day measure
http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/130 ... n/public/?action_KEY=8429

Posted on: 2013/9/4 21:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
So more and more marginal businesses will reduce employment or move workers to part-time to avoid the new law.

there should be measures to also protect paid part time workers. I think the notion of every job is a good job is false. If that were true, we should be able to hire our children again and pay them 50 cents an hour.

A job should have some decency associated with it - living wage and paid sick time off are part of that decency.

I applaud Fulop for this.

Amen

Posted on: 2013/9/4 20:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact