Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Why is pizza so bad in downtown JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Do people REALLY expect bread and butter while waiting for their pizza to cook? If you've ordered a couple of entrees then I get the bread and butter thing. Should be served along with a salad. But while waiting for pizza? Really?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Rustique is very good...

Posted on: 2013/1/4 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
If you aren't satisfied with any of the existing pizza joints, try this. Helen's on Newark will sell you a fresh/thawed dough for a couple of bucks. Get a pizza stone and bake your own pie. Make it as thick or thin as you like and put whatever you darn well like on it. If it's a Friday night or during a football game, you might actually get your pizza faster than delivery, too.

...and if that pizza stone is too pricey for you -- or if you want one for your toaster/convection oven (great for your boat) -- then get an unglazed quarry tile at Home Depot!

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/diy-pizza-stone.htm

Posted on: 2013/1/4 0:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/6 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
If you are looking for a classic NY style pizza Carmine's is the best hands down.
Helen's and Stella's are terrible.

I actually enjoy John's Pizza if you're looking for a good brick oven slice, it's not amazing, and it's overpriced but it's way better than Paulus Hook BOP, both times I got a pie from there it was ridiculously burnt and the toppings were seriously lacking.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Razza, I would personally rather have soft, fluffy hot bread baked on premises, and pay $4 for it, than the decent at best bread you get at most places (especially most pizza places).

Gargiolo is a really great regular slice kind of place, several generation Italian Jersey City family. It's very upsetting that they don't stay open on nights and weekends though. I always thought they would do well with the Iron Monkey bar crowd, especially since Flamingo Diner sadly left.

Delenio's - very good regular slice kind of place. On par with Carmine's, which is also very good for an everyday slice.

Rustique is very good Neopolitan pie.

Paulus Hook - solid Neopolitan pie. John's - solid as well.

Buon Appetito - it's OK; generally pretty good everyday kind of slice, but I have had one or two slices that weren't so fresh and actually tasted like the cheese had started to turn.

The rest of the pizza joints downtown are very bad. Helen's and Stella's are VERY bad for NJ/NY pizza. That new place Grande Pizza is very bad (nice people though).

I'm not including Two Boots here because to me it's not a real pizzeria. However, I am a fan of their creativity and their late night hours. Not a huge fan of the crust or the prices (which are actually a little absurd), but it's great to have them as an option for late night eats, and a lot of their pies are full of flavor and pretty yummy actually.

OH! I forgot to mention; just last night I had a slice at that "Brick Oven Pizza" adjacent to Powerhouse Lounge on Marin. A great slice! I feel kind of bad for them, every time I have walked by, it is completely empty. Check this place out, the pie there is good and they have a few beer taps as well.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmythesaint1 wrote:
Full disclosure, I am a pizza snob. I am from the Trenton, NJ area where pizza, or as we call it, "tomato pie," is a religion. I grew up spoiled on really high quality pizza/tomato pie (see DeLorenzo's). So I wonder why just about every pizza shop in downtown JC makes essentially lousy pizza in my opinion. I do think that John's makes a good pie, but I have found their delivery to take forever and the pie is cold once it gets to my door. Why do all these low-end places keep opening and serving the same crappy pizza only to close in a year? It is not that difficult to make a good think crust pie. I have started making my own instead of ordering in JC. I hear La Rustique is good but haven't tried it yet.

If you haven't tried Rustique then your generalized title isn't true. I've gone up two pant sizes thanks to Rustique. Addicted. Love the new owners. Best eaten there but that doesn't stop me from ordering. They are getting really busy on the weekends. People are catching on.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
If you aren't satisfied with any of the existing pizza joints, try this. Helen's on Newark will sell you a fresh/thawed dough for a couple of bucks. Get a pizza stone and bake your own pie. Make it as thick or thin as you like and put whatever you darn well like on it. If it's a Friday night or during a football game, you might actually get your pizza faster than delivery, too.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've eaten at every pizza spot in downtown jersey city. My personal fav would have to be Paulas Hook Brick Oven Pizza.
You have to get a supreme and YES its overpriced. But the toppings are fresh and their supreme is just mouth watering.
-m

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Should they give you bread and butter for free?! How much would you like to pay? $2.75...$3.50? Who orders bread and butter at a pizza resto anyway.

People complain about the dumbest sh*t.

Yes, they should provide bread and butter for free as does any other Italian restaurant does while waiting for your meal.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/19 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
chill cat dog, no need for the hostility. two boots is horrendous. i like their style and i love all things new orleans but the amount of cornmeal on their slices is disgusting. the other two places i will try. would it have killed you to recommend them nicely? carmine's is so-so.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
chill cat dog, no need for the hostility. two boots is horrendous. i like their style and i love all things new orleans but the amount of cornmeal on their slices is disgusting. the other two places i will try. would it have killed you to recommend them nicely? carmine's is so-so.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmythesaint1 wrote:
Full disclosure, I am a pizza snob. I am from the Trenton, NJ area where pizza, or as we call it, "tomato pie," is a religion. I grew up spoiled on really high quality pizza/tomato pie (see DeLorenzo's). So I wonder why just about every pizza shop in downtown JC makes essentially lousy pizza in my opinion. I do think that John's makes a good pie, but I have found their delivery to take forever and the pie is cold once it gets to my door. Why do all these low-end places keep opening and serving the same crappy pizza only to close in a year? It is not that difficult to make a good think crust pie. I have started making my own instead of ordering in JC. I hear La Rustique is good but haven't tried it yet.
congrats on the most obnoxiously dumb post of 2013.

Try Two Boots, Rustique, or Alla Gargiulo. Carmine's is decent too.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Should they give you bread and butter for free?! How much would you like to pay? $2.75...$3.50? Who orders bread and butter at a pizza resto anyway.

Really, bread & butter is usually free even most places in NYC. When did bread and butter get a price tag?

I barely eat downtown due to stupid $hit like this.. most times I eat in Bayonne & GV Italian spots... and not one of the Italian spots out up here charge for bread and butter.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/3 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
I thought Razza was decent. But after going there once, I've decided not to go back because any place that has the nerve to charge $4 for bread will not get my business.

Was does Two Boots charge for a slice? Like 50 bucks right?

I was referring to just the bread and butter at the table at Razza that they charge $4 for. Haven't been to Two Boots yet...

Posted on: 2013/1/3 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
I thought Razza was decent. But after going there once, I've decided not to go back because any place that has the nerve to charge $4 for bread will not get my business.

Was does Two Boots charge for a slice? Like 50 bucks right?

Posted on: 2013/1/3 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/1/3 18:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/5 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
Delenio's and Rustique for everyday pies. I love a Frankie Five every so often.

Buon Appeitito for a nice big slice.

Razza for a nice "date" pie. We went when the place first opened. It's worth it. I'd like to try Roman Nose just to compare for myself, but the lady of the house prefers Razza.

Two Boots for that once in a while moment when you want something a little different. Or if its 1am and you don't want an egg and cheese from 24/7 or Hollywood Chicken.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the pizza joints get their ingredients from the same place up in Wayne, N.J. Are any of these places Italian owned or at least made to the old world standards of days gone by ? I wasn't impressed with Rustique or Carmines. I didn't like Helen's so it looks like the Heights is your best bet.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
I only really like thin crust, and the only real option for that is Buon Appeitito. Stella's and Helen's are both pretty horrendous in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
You're going to come in here and bash all of downtown's pizza, and you've only tried the cheapest places (and only delivery, at that)?

My favorite pizza downtown is at Rustique, no question.

However, the pies at the new Roman Nose on Newark Ave are excellent.

Have heard great things about Razza on Grove St as well, but have yet to try them.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
John's and Paulus Hook Pizza are awful in my humble opinion. I am not really a big fan of brick oven pizza to begin with though..... HOWEVER, I will say that Pizza alla Gargiullo on Greeene Street is REALLY GOOD. Their sausage and pepper slice is awesome; I think they bake a little parmesan on top.

My go-to place is Stella's on Grove Street for a classic pie.

Two Boots on Newark is OK and I order from them once in a while to mix things up.

Take it for what it is worth... just an opinion.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Def try Rustique, they make a quality pie.

Also try Delenio's on 7th and Brunswick. Nice and thin pizza and their food is also good. The Pane Cotte Broccoli Rabe app is the truth.

If you like Sicilian or Grandma def go with Gino's in the Heights. They deliver downtown so location is not an issue.

Buon Appeitito on Grove next to the PATH is decent for a quick slice. Huge thin slices and good sandwiches.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Best cheap slice is Carmine's -- best overpriced slice is Paulus Hook Pizza!

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
will do. i am an open minded pizza snob haha. thanks.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Hold onto that thought until you try Rustique. Seriously.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:56

Why is pizza so bad in downtown JC?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:55

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017