Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Tell Trader Joe's to come to Jersey City!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I would luv to see TJs in Bayonne. They could get a great deal on price/rent/city incentives......and it would serve as a magnet for people from JC and surrounding towns.
I keep hearing that they want a well heeled population....but with all that development(and lots of it in Bayonne too) why not get in early???

Wouldn't work out. You can't even get the Downtown folks to walk up Newark Ave. past Dickinson H.S. to Moloney's Butcher even when they want a butcher.

The whole idea of living in DTJC is that we live car free and that everything we need is within walking distance to a train or people's residence.

Opening a TJs in Bayonne and not in JC is just bad business. More people work and live in JC than Bayonne. There are a lot of people that park and ride the train into the city in JC. Which makes JC a better option that Bayonne.

I'm not saying that Bayonne should not get a TJs. All I am saying is that, JC is a better investment at the moment. Plus, there are a lot of retail options with plenty of parking that are close to the Grove or Newport trains that would be an ideal location for a TJs.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I would luv to see TJs in Bayonne. They could get a great deal on price/rent/city incentives......and it would serve as a magnet for people from JC and surrounding towns.
I keep hearing that they want a well heeled population....but with all that development(and lots of it in Bayonne too) why not get in early???

Wouldn't work out. You can't even get the Downtown folks to walk up Newark Ave. past Dickinson H.S. to Moloney's Butcher even when they want a butcher.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 14:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Re: Trader Joe's in JC/Hoboken?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Agreed. But that doesn't mean it's not in the works!

I doubt it's even in the works, if 2 years later it's not even on the 'coming soon' list' :

http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/coming-soon.asp

I guess I was naive and a little too optimistic. With the crappy Shop Rite and Pathmark we don't have a decent grocer. A&P is a better option yet but doesn't work for people without a car.

Let's hope that we get some sort of decent organic/health food store soon. Seems like the area is going to need it with all the development going on.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/17 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
I wonder if Trader Joe's and other retail businesses are waiting for a Bayfront/440 Light Rail stop to open?

Not upscale enough for TJ's. Look at the towns where TJ's sites stores in NJ-Millburn, Westfield, Florham Park, Princeton, Edgewater. In areas that are not as upscale they are along very heavily trafficked, such as Clifton on RT3.

440 in JC/Bayonne, not so much.

Posted on: 2014/5/17 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I wonder if Trader Joe's and other retail businesses are waiting for a Bayfront/440 Light Rail stop to open?

Posted on: 2014/5/17 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
This was a debunked rumor from another realty fluff piece!

Posted on: 2014/5/16 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

I doubt it's even in the works, if 2 years later it's not even on the 'coming soon' list' :

http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/coming-soon.asp

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
That post is from 2012.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:21

Trader Joe's in JC/Hoboken?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone verify this? Is this just another fake out?

http://theboken.com/hoboken/trader-jo ... y-city-across-the-tracks/

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Now that I have discovered wegmans in Woodbridge, I feel TJs is overrated.

Definitely worth the drive.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Now that I have discovered wegmans in Woodbridge, I feel TJs is overrated.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I also tend not to mock personal religious beliefs, but I am largely insensitive toward modern demands for animal products tailored for the pious to conveniently avoid sacrifice.

Wow, seeing "pious" & "sacrifice" in the same sentence made me flash on the sections of the Bible about gory old school Hebrew Temple practices, like who gets the yummy fat around the kidneys of a sacrificial sheep. That was when the pious got down and dirty!

Posted on: 2012/6/4 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:

I am not a big fan of religions in general, but I tend not to mock or deride their adherents' personal practices. I can easily see how Asif sees your comment as just that.

I also tend not to mock personal religious beliefs, but I am largely insensitive toward modern demands for animal products tailored for the pious to conveniently avoid sacrifice. Take me to task for that if you must, but my position is not exactly one of ignorance.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I think that chart will lead to the only possibly ethical food left being yeast paste. Plants are highly evolved beings and have a right to live too, without being cut down and eaten or having their fetuses & children eaten.

I think it is ethical to eat animals, especially if there is a slight chance that you might get eaten as well. I swim and take long walks in the woods, so I am fair game, even if a bit unsavory.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 20:01
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

In the case religious beliefs, by definition yes, of course it?s irrational behavior. I wouldn?t pass judgment on irrationality itself though?it is an inseparable and valuable component of human behavior?but its manifestation can sometimes be quite amusing when observed in the context of a different world view. I do not adhere to religious laws of any kind, which provides me with a different world view, and I wouldn?t be the first person to notice actions in the name of religion can be rather inconsistent if not quizzical at times. Whether the behavior is right or wrong isn?t the argument I?m making, I?m just taking the opportunity to throw sarcasm around.

Now in the case of those who protest rennet for ?ethical reasons? but consume cheese, that?s just a profoundly silly gesture.

Since Asif already made a in this thread comment about eating kosher, then this post of yours that followed is pretty much belittling his religious inclinations, not "throwing sarcasm around."

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Unless you abstain from dairy products altogether, the source of cheese-making enzymes should only be important if you care more about precious arbitrary values than the lives of animals. It?s a wildly disproportionate concern. In this case, the unpleasant reality of milk production is the five-hundred pound gorilla in the room, not a milliliter of rennet.

I am not a big fan of religions in general, but I tend not to mock or deride their adherents' personal practices. I can easily see how Asif sees your comment as just that.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 19:49
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
So, basically, people who don't want to eat rennet out of some religious dietary law are irrational, and people who don't want to eat it out of an ethical concern are hypocritical, because the bigger and more serious issue is the dairy industry at large.

Someone should do a flow chart.

In the case religious beliefs, by definition yes, of course it?s irrational behavior. I wouldn?t pass judgment on irrationality itself though?it is an inseparable and valuable component of human behavior?but its manifestation can sometimes be quite amusing when observed in the context of a different world view. I do not adhere to religious laws of any kind, which provides me with a different world view, and I wouldn?t be the first person to notice actions in the name of religion can be rather inconsistent if not quizzical at times. Whether the behavior is right or wrong isn?t the argument I?m making, I?m just taking the opportunity to throw sarcasm around.

Now in the case of those who protest rennet for ?ethical reasons? but consume cheese, that?s just a profoundly silly gesture.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
So, basically, people who don't want to eat rennet out of some religious dietary law are irrational, and people who don't want to eat it out of an ethical concern are hypocritical, because the bigger and more serious issue is the dairy industry at large.

I think that chart will lead to the only possibly ethical food left being yeast paste. Plants are highly evolved beings and have a right to live too, without being cut down and eaten or having their fetuses & children eaten.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/1 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

You seem to be unable to accept that some people care for the rennet issue on any other grounds than your own guilt about animal welfare. Get over it. If you're on a jihad against irrational beliefs, good luck with that. Surely there's plenty of low hanging fruit, how about Mitt's magic underwear?

Oh good heavens. Of course I realize that people do care about the issue, but when individuals take special care to avoid animal-sourced rennet for what are often ethical and/or religious reasons, but still gotta have cheese, that?s silly human behavior I won?t apologize for noticing. You get over it.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
But I am still fuzzy on what the dispute here is. Is Frank upset because Asif's desire to avoid rennet isn't valid enough for him? Does he want Asif to get on the bigger bandwagon for animal rights by boycotting the entire dairy industry? Or is he just pooh-poohing his personal decision to avoid rennet as irrational, and therefore worthy of derision?

If I may speak for this "Frank" character, it appears that in an effort to mock rennet-phobia, he had to acknowledge that the scope of the issue includes crucial unsavory realities left unmentioned by the rennet-phobic.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But I am still fuzzy on what the dispute here is. Is Frank upset because Asif's desire to avoid rennet isn't valid enough for him? Does he want Asif to get on the bigger bandwagon for animal rights by boycotting the entire dairy industry? Or is he just pooh-poohing his personal decision to avoid rennet as irrational, and therefore worthy of derision?

Posted on: 2012/6/1 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm just amazed that we now have a film festival, if only for the moment, and named for that other city:

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... val-opens-in-jersey-city/

Take that, Rochester!

Posted on: 2012/6/1 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
So, wait--is this a religious vs. animal rights issue here? Or are we witnessing a battle between two different level of concerns for animals--one boycotting the products of slaughter and one arguing for a concern for the total life experience of dairy animals?

A search for the term "rennet boycott" pops this thread first in teh Goggle. Good work!

Neither, as far as I?m concerned. My criticism is strictly over a policy that is framed by irrational belief and incomplete views. Otherwise, I am entirely open to criticism for my own selfish consumption of animal flesh and animal products.

You seem to be unable to accept that some people care for the rennet issue on any other grounds than your own guilt about animal welfare. Get over it. If you're on a jihad against irrational beliefs, good luck with that. Surely there's plenty of low hanging fruit, how about Mitt's magic underwear?

Posted on: 2012/6/1 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
So, wait--is this a religious vs. animal rights issue here? Or are we witnessing a battle between two different level of concerns for animals--one boycotting the products of slaughter and one arguing for a concern for the total life experience of dairy animals?

A search for the term "rennet boycott" pops this thread first in teh Goggle. Good work!

Neither, as far as I?m concerned. My criticism is strictly over a policy that is framed by irrational belief and incomplete views. Otherwise, I am entirely open to criticism for my own selfish consumption of animal flesh and animal products.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/1 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
#OOPS# Kraft, and Stuffers, it's Frank for the win.

Now come home home, your dinner's getting cold.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Quote:
Frank Wrote: Unless you can demonstrate why it?s not an absurdly disproportionate concern, I cannot help but roll my eyes at a rennet boycott.

Frank- you can roll your eyes until they become crossed for all I care. I owe you no explanation. I am obliged to you no satisfaction. You may blindly assume, quiet stupidly, my rational for being selective concerning my personal food choices. I find this wrong. Had you just asked in a non-assuming manner, I would have explained gladly. Instead you came across as a PR*Ck.

Let me make this clear, you do not know me. People in general are not static beings. We are fluid in our identities according to the influences of a host of variables. These can include time, place, people, culture, belief, logic, and technology.

My reasoning for my CHOICE is nuanced....and does not fit into your convenient, made up assumption of me. Someone you just don't know on any meaningful, personal level.

For the rest of us unassuming folks. I went to the local supermarket. And the Stouffers Mac and Cheese did not label the type of enzyme contained in it. If i am tempted to consume massive, amounts of junk, comfort food....it's Kraft for the win.

It?s unimportant whether you share your ?nuanced? approach, because as a human being, you?re a minority player in this story. The animal-product equation is dominated by a staggering number of non-human animals who are powerless to resist us. They are slaves whose lives have no room or use for human nuance. Now, when you publically express a concern for the origin of a particular group of enzymes, but not the origin of milk, you express concern in a way that means absolutely nothing beyond a service to arbitrary human values: ?I don?t want the lives of cattle to be any different, I just want to feel better about exploiting them.? Call me names if you wish, but when you appear to express an amusingly unenlightened position on animal products, I don?t owe you politically correct silence. As if.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Frank Wrote: Unless you can demonstrate why it?s not an absurdly disproportionate concern, I cannot help but roll my eyes at a rennet boycott.
[/quote]

Frank- you can roll your eyes until they become crossed for all I care. I owe you no explanation. I am obliged to you no satisfaction. You may blindly assume, quiet stupidly, my rational for being selective concerning my personal food choices. I find this wrong. Had you just asked in a non-assuming manner, I would have explained gladly. Instead you came across as a PR*Ck.

Let me make this clear, you do not know me. People in general are not static beings. We are fluid in our identities according to the influences of a host of variables. These can include time, place, people, culture, belief, logic, and technology.

My reasoning for my CHOICE is nuanced....and does not fit into your convenient, made up assumption of me. Someone you just don't know on any meaningful, personal level.

For the rest of us unassuming folks. I went to the local supermarket. And the Stouffers Mac and Cheese did not label the type of enzyme contained in it. If i am tempted to consume massive, amounts of junk, comfort food....it's Kraft for the win.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 10:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017