Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »

Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
When we can see that millions of people live beyond their means and behave as if their self-worth and status is based on their perceived wealth and ability to consume, it makes little sense to equate the concept of fairness with the prices that the market will bear.

I did not know you polled thirty acre patrons about whether they were living beyond their means. Maybe, and this is just a thought, some of us can afford thirty acres, whole foods, and other perceived "yuppie" establishments and fully understand that the same goods/foods might cost less elsewhere but visit these places because we do not like the graffiti, crime, and the overall ghettoness of the locations where some of these other establishments are located....Maybe the customer service at these establishments justify the prices. Maybe I would like the option of having organic meats. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1 LOL. It's all relative. If it were too pricey for the area, it would be empty and go out of business. Period.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
It's a simple supply/demand argument.

If the dining public thought the food wasn't worth the cost, it would be out of business over time.

Clearly that's not the case.

Therefore, the prices are fair, relatively speaking.

No way bro, it's too pricey for me, therefore it's UNFAIR! Ignore the fact that it's packed to the gills during peak hours!

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The market (local or otherwise) definition of fair far outweighs your own personal one.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
When we can see that millions of people live beyond their means and behave as if their self-worth and status is based on their perceived wealth and ability to consume, it makes little sense to equate the concept of fairness with the prices that the market will bear.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

If the dining public thought the food wasn't worth the cost, it would be out of business over time.

No way bro, it's too pricey for me, therefore it's UNFAIR! Ignore the fact that it's packed to the gills during peak hours!

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Fair is what people are willing to pay for it. If the restaurant is full most days, how can you argue that his prices are too high or unfair?

That?s not a definition of ?fairness? and I?ve already made my argument. Is what you pay for cell phone/data service fair? If you say ?yes? I?d love to do business with you!

It absolutely is a definition of fair in a discussion about pricing. If people consistently pay 30 Acres prices (and they do in spades - there's usually a wait to get in during peak hours), then how is it not fairly priced?

What rational explanation would one have to lower prices when demand is so high?

Is my cell phone price fair? Mine is, because I pay it. If it wasn't fair to me, I wouldn't pay it. That's a really weak example though, as 30 Acres has much more competition than the cell phone industry does, though. Let's stick to the topic at hand.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Fair is what people are willing to pay for it. If the restaurant is full most days, how can you argue that his prices are too high or unfair?

That?s not a definition of ?fairness? and I?ve already made my argument. Is what you pay for cell phone/data service fair? If you say ?yes? I?d love to do business with you!

Posted on: 2013/12/5 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
The place is packed all of the time.. which indicates that the price is fair or could even go higher.

I enjoy dining there, but ?fair? has little to do with the amount of money that urbanites are willing to pay for luxuries. I'm usually impressed with Kevin's dishes, and they're always interesting, but I'd argue that the prices are slightly on the high side for a restaurant that drops the conspicuous hint of bringing the check before we ask, and always too soon.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
The place is packed all of the time.. which indicates that the price is fair or could even go higher.

I enjoy dining there, but ?fair? has little to do with the amount of money that urbanites are willing to pay for luxuries. I'm usually impressed with Kevin's dishes, and they're always interesting, but I'd argue that the prices are slightly on the high side for a restaurant that drops the conspicuous hint of bringing the check before we ask, and always too soon.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You're probably right and it's nice to know that they are running at full capacity. It's just my opinion - it would be nice if they serve lunch, a little bit less expensive and smaller portions. I would definitely go for Brunch next time.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/5 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Finally made it last Sunday to treat my daughter on her birthday. We were a party of 6, seated at 6pm, the place was empty - this is prob the best time to go.

We shared 3 appetizers: Grilled Quail, which was excellent, the skin was charred and meat was tasty. Cuttlefish was really subtle and perfectly prepared, Raw Scallops were okay - I've had better in sushi places (they should be served Live, not Raw).

Half of our party had the Duck Breast: perfectly prepared, skin was crispy and it was almost rare in the middle and the duck sausage really made the dish. I had the Pork Loin which was a little dry and not very well flavored, but the garnishing was excellent. My wife had the Red Snapper, very interesting interpretation, it was really thin and crispy served with Squid Ink sauce. Her Mom had Cavatelli, which I would highly recommend, maybe as a first course to be shared before the meat dish.

the Coffee Pot de Creme was excellent but Pumpkin Cheesecake was not as expected.

All in all a wonderful meal, menu is refreshing and food is very well prepared, good service nice atmosphere. My only gripe is that to me, it seems a little bit more expensive than it should be. If the prices were maybe 20% less, it would be an incredibly awesome deal, and I would go more often. But as it is - it's an excellent addition to Chilltown and I would definitely go back.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Finally made it last Sunday to treat my daughter on her birthday. We were a party of 6, seated at 6pm, the place was empty - this is prob the best time to go.

We shared 3 appetizers: Grilled Quail, which was excellent, the skin was charred and meat was tasty. Cuttlefish was really subtle and perfectly prepared, Raw Scallops were okay - I've had better in sushi places (they should be served Live, not Raw).

Half of our party had the Duck Breast: perfectly prepared, skin was crispy and it was almost rare in the middle and the duck sausage really made the dish. I had the Pork Loin which was a little dry and not very well flavored, but the garnishing was excellent. My wife had the Red Snapper, very interesting interpretation, it was really thin and crispy served with Squid Ink sauce. Her Mom had Cavatelli, which I would highly recommend, maybe as a first course to be shared before the meat dish.

the Coffee Pot de Creme was excellent but Pumpkin Cheesecake was not as expected.

All in all a wonderful meal, menu is refreshing and food is very well prepared, good service nice atmosphere. My only gripe is that to me, it seems a little bit more expensive than it should be. If the prices were maybe 20% less, it would be an incredibly awesome deal, and I would go more often. But as it is - it's an excellent addition to Chilltown and I would definitely go back.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
awesome. Love this place.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Brunch on Sundays is great! Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/9/24 20:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
hey guys -

we have some big news for the fall:

starting sunday oct 6, we will be open 7 days a week! dinner every day, brunch on saturdays & sundays.

can't wait to see you guys even more often.

alex & kevin
thirty acres

Posted on: 2013/9/24 17:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
hey guys - just a heads up: we will be closed for summer vacation until 6pm on tuesday, september 10th. as always, you can stay abreast of our closures/changes on our facebook page (facebook.com/thirtyacres), our twitter (@thirtyacres), or our tumblr (thirtyacres.tumblr.com).

see you in september!

alex & kevin

Posted on: 2013/9/1 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
I think some people just like something new or special when they go out for what they have been told will be a great dining experience. If your passion is beer, you might not find it here.

That?s probably true enough, though a beer list that would impress me as much as Kevin?s dishes would only be found in a restaurant where the beer takes center stage anyway. It would also be nice to see a full roster of Islay whiskies at every bar, but if the closest I can manage is Johnnie Walker Black, I probably won?t think twice about wanting better.

And yes, really. As a snack, an occasional cold hotdog is a tasty oxymoron. Many of Europa?s customers thought likewise from what I was told. It?s not much different than bologna after all.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
With most of the local bars stepping up with craft beers, we've all become minor connoisseurs at this point so the stakes are set pretty high.

Where?s the joy in being so devoted to connoisseurship that it spoils enjoyment of otherwise good products? I would have chosen different beers?gueuze seems particularly appropriate given the style of cooking for example?but I don?t see what?s wrong with their selection.

I?ve been partial to English, Belgian, and German ales and lagers for the past 20 years, but I would be content with a bottle of Lionshead, fermented corn and all, if that?s the only beer available. Fine cooking hasn?t made me lose my taste for HollyKenLinCrown Fried Chicken, ramen noodles, McDonalds fries, or cold frankfurters straight from the package, so why be spoiled by the best beers in the world? Gimmicky and light beers aside, the average hopped, fermented malt beverage is already quite good any it only gets better from there.

I enjoy Coors Light when it's 110 outside. But cold hotdogs? Really?

High/Low is hardly unusual these days. I think some people just like something new or special when they go out for what they have been told will be a great dining experience. If your passion is beer, you might not find it here.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
With most of the local bars stepping up with craft beers, we've all become minor connoisseurs at this point so the stakes are set pretty high.

Where?s the joy in being so devoted to connoisseurship that it spoils enjoyment of otherwise good products? I would have chosen different beers?gueuze seems particularly appropriate given the style of cooking for example?but I don?t see what?s wrong with their selection.

I?ve been partial to English, Belgian, and German ales and lagers for the past 20 years, but I would be content with a bottle of Lionshead, fermented corn and all, if that?s the only beer available. Fine cooking hasn?t made me lose my taste for HollyKenLinCrown Fried Chicken, ramen noodles, McDonalds fries, or cold frankfurters straight from the package, so why be spoiled by the best beers in the world? Gimmicky and light beers aside, the average hopped, fermented malt beverage is already quite good any it only gets better from there.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Good to know they've got their liquor license. Could definitely see stopping in early evening for some drinks and small plates.

As for the beer selection, I would think the chef could utilize his connections to get some special brews from the regional places. Maybe they're seeing what their customers prefer before they start going in a beer direction. With most of the local bars stepping up with craft beers, we've all become minor connoisseurs at this point so the stakes are set pretty high.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
'Bizarre Foods America' features Jersey City restaurant for upcoming episode

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ods_america_features.html

Posted on: 2013/6/3 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Andrew Zimmern of 'Bizarre Foods' to hit Jersey City, New Brunswick Saturday

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dinin ... mmern_n.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/5/31 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. With so many amazing beers out there, I would feel like Thirty Acres would find some beers that are as unique and interesting as their food.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Huge fan of thirty acres. Been there about 6 times for dinner. Not a big fan of their new beer/wine list. Prices are a little out of whack. $55 for a bottle you can get for $15 and $70 for a bottle you can get for $18?

Mark-ups approaching 4x seem a little bonkers to me.

And the beer? Decent, but I was expecting some more unique choices.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 15:18

Re: food & wine's "the people's best new chef" - thirty acres
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure just being nominated is an honor. Your food is amazing :)

Posted on: 2013/3/19 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
voted:

Thank you for your vote!
We are not displaying instant results, but be assured that votes are being tabulated and the competition is fierce!
Check back on March 19 for the exciting announcement of this year's winners.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Best of luck. Kevin deserves the honor!

Posted on: 2013/3/17 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I voted! Hope it's okay that I have yet to make my way to your place.

I do plan on coming in during the spring....especially for the lemon bars. To this day, my favorite sweet was a lemon bar made by a neighbor....when i was just a lad.

Am still looking for that taste, and I am not even a person with a sweet tooth. :)

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2013/3/17 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Voted! best of luck....