Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 30-Year-Old HC Man Killed in Short Hills Mall Car Jacking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
So... how does this make any theory lousy? I mean - until we know the truth... I'd gamble most things are on the table.

First off, it's now reported he fought with the thugs, which led to the shooting. Second, if he was targeted as you propose-why would anyone choose to shoot someone in a crowded shopping mall garage with tons of potential witnesses and limited means of escape? Have you ever been to that parking garage and seen the traffic and the circular exit ramps?

But my pointing out a similar crime, at gunpoint, in a nearby town, of another Land Rover model, shows that they are in demand, unlike what you implied. And it was a 2012 model year car in Short Hills, not an 'aged' car exactly . . .

Posted on: 2013/12/16 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So... how does this make any theory lousy? I mean - until we know the truth... I'd gamble most things are on the table.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Ahh, Monroe - a beautifully pointed statement and thoughtful candor... as usual. May the troll be with you.

Huh? Someone earlier suggested it wasn't a carjacking because the car wasn't valuable enough, I was just pointing to a similar carjacking in a nearby town, at gunpoint, the same week, of the same brand car.

http://southorange.patch.com/groups/p ... -front-of-home-police-say

Posted on: 2013/12/16 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ahh, Monroe - a beautifully pointed statement and thoughtful candor... as usual. May the troll be with you.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lousy theory, especially as another Land or Range Rover was carjacked in nearby South Orange at gunpoint.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Anyone else read through the the available details and think this stinks?? I think this was a 'job'

- Of all the available cars in Short Hills they went for an aged RR - the hot car is a MB. These cars dont just get dropped after a joy ride - they are on boats to Africa rather quickly... and plenty of nice cars sit in the valet with keys in the ignition
- They apparently approached the car, shot the dude 4 times, and left the wife untouched - why leave a witness if you were that willing to off the guy?
- His job was reviewing legal claims in construction... Hmmm?

My gamble - either the wife put this together OR this was a hit related to his job.

Regardless of what really happened.. my thoughts are with his family and friends - I cant imagine dealing with anything like this, let alone during the holiday season.

Interesting, I am sitting here talking to coworkers about it and we came up with the same scenario, why would they leave her alive? It just does not make sense.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else read through the the available details and think this stinks?? I think this was a 'job'

- Of all the available cars in Short Hills they went for an aged RR - the hot car is a MB. These cars dont just get dropped after a joy ride - they are on boats to Africa rather quickly... and plenty of nice cars sit in the valet with keys in the ignition
- They apparently approached the car, shot the dude 4 times, and left the wife untouched - why leave a witness if you were that willing to off the guy?
- His job was reviewing legal claims in construction... Hmmm?

My gamble - either the wife put this together OR this was a hit related to his job.

Regardless of what really happened.. my thoughts are with his family and friends - I cant imagine dealing with anything like this, let alone during the holiday season.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Poor taste...

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
The "knockout" game doesn't look so bad anymore, does it?

Posted on: 2013/12/16 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
The "knockout" game doesn't look so bad anymore, does it?

Posted on: 2013/12/16 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Surprise surprise, the stolen car was found in Newark.

Newark's #1 export is still garbage.

Booker 2016 baby!

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Am I suppose to feel horrible and sad about this because he was from Hoboken? (Rolls eyes) too many deaths and shootings in our own city for me to get worked up over this. Goes to show feeling safe is an illusion.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
The young man was from Hoboken - a senseless, utterly tragic death:

Source

The victim of the Short Hills mall shooting has been preliminarily identified as a 30-year-old patent attorney from Hoboken.

Two law enforcement sources said that Dustin Friedland was shot in the head and died Sunday night at Morristown Medical Center.

The sources, who are familiar with the investigation but were not authorized to speak on the record, verified that Friedland was the victim of a carjacking. He and wife were shopping at the Mall at Short Hills on Sunday night.

The couple was attacked by two assailants in the parking deck when they returned to their car, a 2012 silver Range Rover with the license plate U26BVD.

The attackers sped off in the stolen car, heading east on Route 24 after shooting Friedland. His wife was uninjured, according to acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray. The car was recovered on Renner Avenue in Newark on Monday morning, law enforcement sources said.

No detailed description of the carjackers has been released to the public but anyone with information regarding the shooting or the whereabouts of the suspects is urged to call the tips line at (877) 847-7432.

Friedland was a project manager who analyzed legal claims at a Neptune contracting firm, Epic Mechanical Inc., according to a LinkedIn social media profile. He received his law degree in 2009 at Syracuse University, according to the LinkedIn page.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Terrible news. I feel very sorry for this man and his poor wife who had to witness this tragedy. Just remember that we're all sitting ducks, for the criminals who will continue to disregard the tough gun laws of this state. R.I.P.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
So sad, I was there yesterday. It was crazy how crowded it was. Seems like it still woulda had a decent crowd of people at that time. According to other news reports the 2 carjackers were black. Guess you aren't safe anywhere if you own things these people covet. (I mean carjackers obviously)

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:41

30-Year-Old HC Man Killed in Short Hills Mall Car Jacking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
(From Star Ledger - link below)

An evening of Christmas shopping turned into a violent nightmare Sunday night when a man returning with his wife to their parked Range Rover at an upscale New Jersey mall was fatally shot in the head and their vehicle carjacked from a parking deck at the Mall at Short Hills.

Police said the two assailants fled in the stolen car and an alert was out for the 2012 silver Range Rover with the license plate U26BVD.

The 30-year-old Hudson County man was pronounced dead at 11:45 Sunday night at Morristown Medical Center, Essex County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Fennelly said earlier today.

His wife was not injured, according to acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray.

Murray said the shooting occurred at about 9:10 p.m. She said the victim had been out with his wife shopping and they were returning to their vehicle when they were confronted by two men. She said the husband had opened the door for his wife and was getting into the driver?s side when he was shot. Murray believed multiple shots were fired.

Authorities believe the two assailants fled in the Range Rover and headed east on Route 24.

"We do not know why that car (was targeted), but it obviously was a car with some value," said Murray.

The mall, which normally closes early on Sunday, was open for extended holiday shopping hours.

Millburn Mayor Sandra Haimoff said the shooting was of grave concern.

"Our police department is out there and I?m sure they?re doing everything that needs to be done. But it is upsetting and it?s unfortunate that this happened," she said.

The shooting occurred on the third level of a parking deck near Nordstrom.

Ajia Goods, 19, who works at the Michael Kors boutique in the mall, was shaken up by the news of the shooting. "This is the first time anything has happened like this since I?ve worked here," she said.

But many mall employees said they were not notified of the shooting. Wendy Klein, 47, of Summit, who works at the Au Bon Pain restaurant, said she only learned of the incident after she left work.

"We didn?t hear anything until we came out here," she said, calling the mall and its surrounding area safe.

"My mother lives in this place. It?s a fluke," she said. "Maybe somebody saw somebody walk out of here with something expensive."

The Mall at Short Hills, located 13 miles west of Newark Liberty International Airport, has 160 stores and restaurants, anchored by Bloomingdale?s, Macy?s, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue.

The upscale shopping center ? whose tenants include Cartier, Chanel, Tiffany & Co, and Gucci ? offers valet service.

The incident comes a month after a troubled 20-year-old Teaneck man dressed in black, wearing a motorcycle helmet and carrying a rifle with extra ammunition in a backpack, entered the Garden State Plaza mall in Paramus, firing up to six shots randomly into the ceiling. The body of the lone gunman was later found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. No one else was injured.

While shoplifting is a constant issue at the mall, violent crime is rarely reported, but there have been a number of carjackings over the years.

In September 2009, a Hillside man was charged with attempted kidnapping, carjacking and robbery after he was arrested for allegedly forcing his way into the car of a 56-year-old woman from Randolph who had been shopping at the mall, pulling out a knife and demanding money, police said.

After the woman turned over cash and jewelry, he told her to drive to an ATM. Instead, she opened her car door and ran.

In February 2006, two women were carjacked at gunpoint outside a mall restaurant, Joe?s American Bar & Grill. The two were getting into a silver 2004 Jeep Liberty when they were approached by two men. One had a gun, told the women to get out of the car and leave the keys inside the vehicle.

And in October of 2002, a 76-year-old woman from Caldwell returning to her car was robbed by a man who forced his way into her Cadillac parked near the Saks Fifth Avenue department store and stole her cash and jewelry, police said.

The man told the shopper he had a gun, but she never saw one, police said. He robbed her of her wedding and engagement rings and a bracelet.

Star Ledger Story

Posted on: 2013/12/16 14:24

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017