Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
This is an instance where all the municipalities in the county should be participating, Hoboken especially. If this was all one program I guarantee you that the system would become a huge success and people would beg for more stations.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 21:00
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Patience everyone. Growing pains are natural for complex emerging technologies such as the bicycle and bike rack, and with novel business concepts like bicycle rental.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
No violation yet until the bikes are actually in the racks. How about you wait until there is an actual violation before whining and crying over something that likely has no effect on you or likely no one you even know.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
I'd bet you that when the bikes go in at the corner of Jersey and Newark there won't be close 60" of sidewalk clearance. The kiosk is set well in from the curb and there are benches along the wall of the old bank. Just using that location as an example...

It's the same with the station on the corner of Warren and 1st Streets. But, apparently, we are being drama queens for pointing out the city's flaunting of federal regulations. I wonder how those same people would react if a restaurant purposely refused to serve blacks, or gays.

Here you go, since there is an actual violation and you are not just complaining for the sake of complaining:

http://www.ada.gov/filing_complaint.htm

Posted on: 2015/9/11 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
My god... this is hilarious. Who cares. I think some people here have too much time on their hands and just need to get themselves up tight and find something to whine about.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

The latter

Nonsense.
I love citibike. I've used it in NYC and am debating buying a membership now.

That doesn't mean that they're entitled to infringe upon ADA needs or sidewalk requirements. Nobody here on this topic has said anything bad about Citibike. The request is to move the racks to the far side of the sidewalk and/or increase the width of the sidewalk like NYC does, which is perfectly easy considering most corners (at least on wider streets, which is where the racks are located anyway) have striped no parking zones.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
I'd bet you that when the bikes go in at the corner of Jersey and Newark there won't be close 60" of sidewalk clearance. The kiosk is set well in from the curb and there are benches along the wall of the old bank. Just using that location as an example...

It's the same with the station on the corner of Warren and 1st Streets. But, apparently, we are being drama queens for pointing out the city's flaunting of federal regulations. I wonder how those same people would react if a restaurant purposely refused to serve blacks, or gays.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:

Big rack up on corner of Central Ave & Manhattan Ave, no bikes yet.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/5 23:38
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/10 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
When do the bikes show up ?

Posted on: 2015/9/10 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCRider wrote:
Agreed that the "city officials" (User1111--do you know their names?) response was inadequate (ie, don't just say the stations can be moved easily, say that if they are indeed in violation of ADA that will be corrected as soon as possible! "Better understanding how and where people use the bikes" has nothing to do with a code violation.)

That said, User1111 deserves credit for going to the meeting and raising the issue. On that note, may I suggest that the time and energy being spent venting outrage and trying to put one another "in their place" on this message board would be more productively spent addressing Citibike directly about the issue?

Here is Citibike's contact info page:

http://www.citibikenyc.com/contact

I just called them and relayed the ADA violation concerns described below to the Customer Service Representative I spoke with, who told me that calls and emails on the subject sent to the customer service email address linked above would be forwarded to the appropriate person in the Citibike organization.

If you too are concerned about this, please call or send an email expressing your concerns and maybe this can be corrected in a timely manner.

I don't happen to know who in the JC government would be best to address this to, or I'd offer their contact info, too--perhaps someone else can chime in with that?

If nothing else, Citibike and the JC officials working with them will not be able to say later on they were never told about this!

Which stations are actually entirely blocking sidewalk access? I've seen some that cut into sidewalks a bit but not making them any more narrow than some existing sidewalks.

No one is claiming that entire sidewalks are being blocked. The issue is that these CitiBike stations are blocking enough sections of sidewalks as to render them in violation of established state and federal guidelines. A sidewalk needs to be 60 inches across for a wheelchair to be able to turn a full circle, or for two wheelchairs to be able to pass each other abreast.

Precisely. And to add to that, the racks are blocking a wide swath of the sidewalk - also a possible ADA violation. You can scroll to earlier posts within this thread where the exact specs are laid out. Specifically, though:

"All utility poles, light posts, traffic posts, fire hydrants, and other manmade vertical appurtenances are located outside of the sidewalk path. If right of way prevents relocation of an appurtenance, the pathway width is at minimum 32? wide and the length of the restricted pathway is no more than 2?."

Remember, this isn't just about someone in a wheelchair - this is about folks using scooter chair devices; walkers; and also for the visually impaired who have to navigate that sidewalk rack. Close your eyes for a second and imagine navigating one of the longer racks with some spots empty and some spots containing bicycles.

I really hope the city takes a good look at this compliance issue and asks front-line folks who are physically and visually impaired and their advocates for input as well.

I'm certain the Height's based Concordia Learning Center would be able to add their expertise to the discussion as well as the folks from JC Medical Center.

Soooo, are any actual stations in violation of this, or is it more speculative/looking for something to complain about Citibike?

The latter

Posted on: 2015/9/10 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCRider wrote:
Agreed that the "city officials" (User1111--do you know their names?) response was inadequate (ie, don't just say the stations can be moved easily, say that if they are indeed in violation of ADA that will be corrected as soon as possible! "Better understanding how and where people use the bikes" has nothing to do with a code violation.)

That said, User1111 deserves credit for going to the meeting and raising the issue. On that note, may I suggest that the time and energy being spent venting outrage and trying to put one another "in their place" on this message board would be more productively spent addressing Citibike directly about the issue?

I just called them and relayed the ADA violation concerns described below to the Customer Service Representative I spoke with, who told me that calls and emails on the subject sent to the customer service email address linked above would be forwarded to the appropriate person in the Citibike organization.

If you too are concerned about this, please call or send an email expressing your concerns and maybe this can be corrected in a timely manner.

I don't happen to know who in the JC government would be best to address this to, or I'd offer their contact info, too--perhaps someone else can chime in with that?

If nothing else, Citibike and the JC officials working with them will not be able to say later on they were never told about this!

Which stations are actually entirely blocking sidewalk access? I've seen some that cut into sidewalks a bit but not making them any more narrow than some existing sidewalks.

No one is claiming that entire sidewalks are being blocked. The issue is that these CitiBike stations are blocking enough sections of sidewalks as to render them in violation of established state and federal guidelines. A sidewalk needs to be 60 inches across for a wheelchair to be able to turn a full circle, or for two wheelchairs to be able to pass each other abreast.

Precisely. And to add to that, the racks are blocking a wide swath of the sidewalk - also a possible ADA violation. You can scroll to earlier posts within this thread where the exact specs are laid out. Specifically, though:

"All utility poles, light posts, traffic posts, fire hydrants, and other manmade vertical appurtenances are located outside of the sidewalk path. If right of way prevents relocation of an appurtenance, the pathway width is at minimum 32? wide and the length of the restricted pathway is no more than 2?."

Remember, this isn't just about someone in a wheelchair - this is about folks using scooter chair devices; walkers; and also for the visually impaired who have to navigate that sidewalk rack. Close your eyes for a second and imagine navigating one of the longer racks with some spots empty and some spots containing bicycles.

I really hope the city takes a good look at this compliance issue and asks front-line folks who are physically and visually impaired and their advocates for input as well.

I'm certain the Height's based Concordia Learning Center would be able to add their expertise to the discussion as well as the folks from JC Medical Center.

Soooo, are any actual stations in violation of this, or is it more speculative/looking for something to complain about Citibike?

Posted on: 2015/9/10 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCRider wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/10 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCRider wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/10 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCRider wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/10 15:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 22:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/9 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I just met with some city officials a few nights ago and this is what was told to my block association.. The stations are easily movable and they will be revisiting locations in the spring as they better understand how and where people use the bikes. So lets all take a chill pill.

That's a cop out. Adhering to federal regulations is not an optional thing.

What if some business came into town and instituted openly discriminatory policies. You know, just for a few months, until they can figure out how that affects the business and customers. I suppose the aggrieved parties could collectively take a chill pill.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I just met with some city officials a few nights ago and this is what was told to my block association.. The stations are easily movable and they will be revisiting locations in the spring as they better understand how and where people use the bikes. So lets all take a chill pill.

Thanks, User. I will let my physically and visually impaired friends know "to take a chill pill" for the next several months while all the experts figure this out.

+1 Thank you, jerseymom.

What is so difficult about DPW and the contractor doing the work following the requirements so that these stations don't impede access on sidewalks and streets? As I said before I really have to wonder if this isn't being deliberately done badly to try and sabotage this very important initiative.... just like the speed humps.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Thanks, User. I will let my physically and visually impaired friends know "to take a chill pill" for the next several months while all the experts figure this out.

LMAO you are such a drama queen. but anyway.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I'm a huge fan of this, but seeing the docks put in place has me a bit concerned.

The city has its own rules that bike racks can't interfere with the sidewalk (you need 5 feet of passage) and they are on many narrow sidewalks. I didn't measure but they look like the passage way will be very narrow. Are they not subject to their own rules? (I know the answer....)

NYC had the wisdom to widen many sidewalks to fit the bike racks by widening the sidewalks into (no parking) striped spaces on the street near corners. JC couldn't do this?!?! Come on.
I can understand the concern about sidewalks. perhaps the city should place more of the bikes in the streets - near the corner like they do in the great big apple

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And (maybe the city isn't to blame for this, but...) the newer Grove St. PATH entry (the round one) was built without an elevator and now they have to go back and add that. DUH.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I'm a huge fan of this, but seeing the docks put in place has me a bit concerned.

The city has its own rules that bike racks can't interfere with the sidewalk (you need 5 feet of passage) and they are on many narrow sidewalks. I didn't measure but they look like the passage way will be very narrow. Are they not subject to their own rules? (I know the answer....)

NYC had the wisdom to widen many sidewalks to fit the bike racks by widening the sidewalks into (no parking) striped spaces on the street near corners. JC couldn't do this?!?! Come on.

Agreed. And, as discussed in another thread, this is not just a matter of city regulations: there are federal ADA guidelines and regulations to which the city is subjected. I wonder what will happen if some wheelchair bound person decides to sue. IIRC, it only took one day before they realized the folly of not following established guidelines in the design and implementation of speed humps before they had to take action to rectify the screw up.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Agreed. And, as discussed in another thread, this is not just a matter of city regulations: there are federal ADA guidelines and regulations to which the city is subjected. I wonder what will happen if some wheelchair bound person decides to sue. IIRC, it only took one day before they realized the folly of not following established guidelines in the design and implementation of speed humps before they had to take action to rectify the screw up.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/9 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you, JCRider! I'm a board member of Bike JC, and you just saved me quite a bit of writing!

Posted on: 2015/9/9 4:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 22:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

Longtime lurker first time poster. I am motivated to post because I have been a JC resident and also an avid and regular user of Citibike since it started in NYC, and would like to try to address a lack of understanding I see in the general public as to how and why Citibike is set up the way it is.

Please note I do not work for Citibike, and am simply a mostly-satisfied user who hopes my experience-based perspective on this (very positive) development in JC can help people more clearly understand the many benefits of the system. Sorry if some of the below info is repetitive with previous posts, but I'm thinking it will be good if this post can serve as a useful one-stop reference for those unfamiliar with but considering Citibike.

Here goes:

Citibike is mainly about transportation?and providing an alternative, eco-friendly mode of transport around the city. ?While it is technically possible, Citibike is not really set up to accommodate recreational/joyriding or other long rides?(So don't look to Citibike if you want a bike for a long afternoon ride into LSP or along the river. If that is your plan, a bike shop eg, Grove Street Bicycles can rent you one for much less cost.)

Rather than recreational cycling,?Citibike is great for things like making 20-minute walks across town to run errands, keep appointments or visit friends into 5-minute bike rides. I find a Citibike is?very often the fastest way from point A to point B?in Manhattan, faster than taxis, trains, or buses (and I do not ride aggressively at all.) ?I expect similar in JC.

As riders save valuable time and get needed exercise, they are also making?more room on the subway or bus or more cabs available for those who cannot ride the bicycles?and need those other forms of transport (eg, wheelchair bound folks.)

Another (imo undersung) benefit of using Citibike is the system basically eliminates worries about bike theft for riders. When you take your personal bike to the store, you need to find a place to keep it secure while you shop, and that usually means chaining/locking the bike to a rack or similar. This takes time, and bikes get stolen very often even when locked up. In contrast, once you finish your ride to the store and click the Citibike into the kiosk, you are no longer responsible for the bike's security. Once you finish shopping, you simply take the same or another bike from the kiosk and continue on your way. The peace of mind this gives riders is a huge benefit and for me more than makes up for the fact that the bikes are not as nice to ride as my own personal bike.

Many also criticize the short time limits on bike rides and the fees charged for exceeding the limits. These are in place specifically to discourage things like recreational riders taking bikes into the park and keeping them unavailable to others for many hours. ?This helps keep bikes available for those short, practical trips the system is for. For those who don't know, if you are using a short term pass to access the system, you can take a bike out for 30 minutes without paying more, and after 30 minutes you pay a small fee for each additional half hour (see the citibike website for exact fees.) ?But if you have an annual pass ($149 as I write this, and discounts are easy to find) you get 45 minutes before incurring overtime fees.

Many (especially avid cyclists!) also criticize the design of the bikes. Here again, things may seem strange if you only look at cycling as a form of recreation or for long-distance personal transport, but as these bikes are designed for short trips as part of a community transportation system, there are actually a lot of clever design decisions to appreciate:

a) The bikes are geared lower than most, making them easy to pedal, and limiting their top speed. ?This make it easy for not-in-shape-people to hop on and get going (encouraging ridership), and helps keep riders from going excessively fast in the crowded urban environment (making things safer.)?

b) The bikes are also a bit heavier than most. On short trips, this doesn't matter much. Coupled with the low gearing, these are bikes few would want to steal (plus the distinctive shape means a stolen bike cannot simply be repainted and used without arousing suspicion, further deterring theft.) ?Less theft=lower system costs.

Regarding the cost and affordability of the membership fee, if you use the system regularly, for many Citibike can basically pay for itself. Most times I use Citibike in Manhattan it is instead of a subway, bus or taxi. Even at the full $149/year rate (btw so far I have always managed to find a discount code and have never paid "full retail"), if you can replace something like 50-60 subway/bus/light rail rides with bike rides in a year, you save enough to cover the bike membership fee. After that, every bike ride puts money in your pocket (as well as giving you exercise and saving you time!) This makes Citibike a good deal even for poor folks as long as they make sufficient use of the membership.

I would also urge everyone to reserve judgement on things like bike availability for at least a few months after the system launches in JC. In NYC, availability, while never perfect, has improved tremendously since the system launched. Bike usage patterns are tracked and adjustments are made based on those patterns, and getting things right requires real-world usage data which takes time to accumulate.

Again, hope the above helps people unfamiliar with the system understand what Citibike is, and is not good for.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City residents ready to ride as Citi Bike racks are installed around town

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on September 07, 2015 at  2:17 PM

JERSEY CITY - Jersey City residents seem ready to ride as bike racks for the city's new Citi Bike bike-share program are being installed around town. 

"I think it's a pretty neat idea and I will use them," said Alex Fitzhugh this morning as he passed the Citi Bike bicycle racks at Hamilton Park in Downtown Jersey City.

Fizthugh, who recently moved to Jersey City from Tennessee for a job in Manhattan, said, "I'd ride it to the PATH station. I go there every morning and there's a drop off near the station."

George Bullis was strolling with his beagle "Bagel" when he said he has his own bike, but he knows that people in Manhattan "definitely use it."

"I think it will increase our property value, too," he added. "The only bad thing is it is going to make it tight on the sidewalk" once the bikes are in their racks. He said a neighbor has already signed up.

The program will launch this month with 350 bikes at more than 30 stations throughout the city, providing a new, environmentally friendly, healthy and affordable 24/7 transportation option for Jersey City. The city has added 22 new miles of bike lanes over the past two years and bike share represents the next big step in creating a more bike-friendly city, city officials said.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... are_stations_being_i.html

Posted on: 2015/9/8 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Great hat racks come winter time or will they swap out for snow tires ?

They're not terrible in a little snow. The tires are fairly wide, with a little tread, and the weight and solidity of the bikes seems to help with traction and stability. Also, the step-through design makes it easier to put a boot on the ground if things get hairy.

Of course most people won't ride in the worst of winter. But some will. I recall that NYC got 3,000 or 4,000 trips on one of the worst days last winter (with 6,000 bikes, but hey, someone rode).

I'll break down and ride one, saw it's $10 for 24hr in Man With A Hat and a Tan.

Posted on: 2015/9/7 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Great hat racks come winter time or will they swap out for snow tires ?

They're not terrible in a little snow. The tires are fairly wide, with a little tread, and the weight and solidity of the bikes seems to help with traction and stability. Also, the step-through design makes it easier to put a boot on the ground if things get hairy.

Of course most people won't ride in the worst of winter. But some will. I recall that NYC got 3,000 or 4,000 trips on one of the worst days last winter (with 6,000 bikes, but hey, someone rode).

Posted on: 2015/9/7 18:25

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017