Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: What Jersey City Restaurant Do You Miss the Most?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Also - if it's a recliner, it's either the chair that Red himself used to sit on, or it must be from a different bar. By all accounts I've heard and read, there were NO seats at the Tube Bar for the customers, not even bar stools. Apparently, Red felt that this would "slow people down" and let them get comfortable as they were drinking. He wanted to keep things moving. I heard he would threaten people with his constant companion (the baseball bat) if they weren't drinking "fast enough."

I can practically hear his gravelly voice now.... HAHAHA!!

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
HAHAHA!! Tube Bar! Bingo! Nice one! 2 points!

I know nothing of the Tube Bar, other than the tapes. My friend's dad used to hang out there. He said it was indeed a scary place. Heck, from the sound of those tapes, Red himself was a pretty scary dude.

A true JC classic character, though! Those tapes may have made me laugh harder than anything else I've ever heard in my life.

Cheers, Red! Your memory lives on here in JC!

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Actually. Now that I think of it, the chair may be from the Journal Square pub, not the Tube bar....Now I'm not so sure..

Anyway. I honestly don't miss the Tube though. I don't know about Red, himself, but there were some very scary characters in there........

Posted on: 2008/10/8 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:
Justin - we're not old.... we're dang near ancient! (Just kidding, of course - we've got plenty of good mileage left!) You know what I remember about Two Guys? Model trains. I have no idea why. I guess they sold them, and I guess my dad collected them, or something. That's always the first thing I think of whenever I hear Two Guys. And do you remember that "arcade" they had in Great Eastern / Valley Fair? It had some sort of a kids ferris wheel in it. It was like a solid disc (mounted vertically) with a single seat welded onto it. I never actually rode it, but I'll always remember it. They had a few pinball machines (the Kiss one being the most notable) and that air hockey table. I loved that air hockey table.

FastEddie - Thanks for the confirmation on the restaurant name! Do you happen to remember if the place changed names along the way? For some reason I remember hearing that they had to change it because they were getting sued by the Mad Magazine people for using the name without permission, or something like that. And being that you were old enough to drink beer there at the time, your memory of it will be way better than mine. Aside from the soda glass issue, were the rest of the memories fairly accurate? I was just a kid, and it's all kind of hazy in my brain. I really wish I had a better memory. I miss those days.

Also - do you remember exactly where it was located on 440? Was it near the Roosevelt Lanes site (as I remember it being), or was it actually farther down toward Communipaw? I'm really not sure. Could it have been near the site of the old drive in movie theater?

And one more thing for my fellow long time Jersey Citians, does my screen name ring a bell in a Jersey City historical type of way? It's associated with something uniquely "Jersey City." Appropriately for this thread, it's associated with a place that's been shut down a long time. I'm kind if surprised nobody has called me out on it yet. He's a "famous" JC person, in a weird sort of way. Using his name is my way of sort of "tipping my cap" to him. Red Deutsch (pronounced "Doitch," I think). 2 points for anyone who knows who he is without Googling it!

Actually. I have a chair from the Tube Bar A green leather recliner that I bought on Craigslist. When my husband picked it up from somehwere in NJ, the owners were excited to learn it was going to back to JC because the chair was from the Tube bar....

Posted on: 2008/10/8 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Justin - we're not old.... we're dang near ancient! (Just kidding, of course - we've got plenty of good mileage left!) You know what I remember about Two Guys? Model trains. I have no idea why. I guess they sold them, and I guess my dad collected them, or something. That's always the first thing I think of whenever I hear Two Guys. And do you remember that "arcade" they had in Great Eastern / Valley Fair? It had some sort of a kids ferris wheel in it. It was like a solid disc (mounted vertically) with a single seat welded onto it. I never actually rode it, but I'll always remember it. They had a few pinball machines (the Kiss one being the most notable) and that air hockey table. I loved that air hockey table.

FastEddie - Thanks for the confirmation on the restaurant name! Do you happen to remember if the place changed names along the way? For some reason I remember hearing that they had to change it because they were getting sued by the Mad Magazine people for using the name without permission, or something like that. And being that you were old enough to drink beer there at the time, your memory of it will be way better than mine. Aside from the soda glass issue, were the rest of the memories fairly accurate? I was just a kid, and it's all kind of hazy in my brain. I really wish I had a better memory. I miss those days.

Also - do you remember exactly where it was located on 440? Was it near the Roosevelt Lanes site (as I remember it being), or was it actually farther down toward Communipaw? I'm really not sure. Could it have been near the site of the old drive in movie theater?

And one more thing for my fellow long time Jersey Citians, does my screen name ring a bell in a Jersey City historical type of way? It's associated with something uniquely "Jersey City." Appropriately for this thread, it's associated with a place that's been shut down a long time. I'm kind if surprised nobody has called me out on it yet. He's a "famous" JC person, in a weird sort of way. Using his name is my way of sort of "tipping my cap" to him. Red Deutsch (pronounced "Doitch," I think). 2 points for anyone who knows who he is without Googling it!

Posted on: 2008/10/8 19:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It wasn't that long ago, Red-D...I?m only a year older than you, and I happen to think I'm not that old!! But, I don?t think I ever ate there; Al Neumans, huh? Was it by the Stadium? Must have been a ?Greenville? place But Two Guys! Yes, of course. .My mom bought all my polyester there! And, I remember Valley Fair too?

Tripoli? Was that a little place with really good ravioli?

And, How about Dom?s Dairy (the stinky cheese store) next to Park Tavern?? Great Meatball Parm with fresh Mozzerella....

Posted on: 2008/10/8 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:

The best guess I can come up with about the place on 440 is "Al Newmans," (apparently after Alfred E. Newman, of Mad Magazine fame) but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. That may have been a name along the way because I think it changed names once or twice, but it's not the name I'm trying to think of. It's just killing me trying to remember the name. There was nothing very fancy about the place. They had rails set up where you entered in front of the register, so you could form a line. The dining room was off to the side and they had mostly booths, if I remember. Maybe with a few large round tables. The menu was sort of ordinary American foods (diner-ish) - burgers, fries, etc. You know what I distinctly remember about the place, come to think of it now? THE ONION RINGS! YES! The onion rings! Big, fat, greasy onion rings! I loved them! HAHAHAHA! I haven't thought about those in probably 30 years!

That was def the name of the place, Al Newman's. I don't remember any red plastic soda cups though, I always drank beer there. They served pitchers with frosted mugs.

You guys are leaving out Duckys on Newark ave nxt door to Schneiders bakery and up the block from Tripoli Restuarant...

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/8 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:

The best guess I can come up with about the place on 440 is "Al Newmans," (apparently after Alfred E. Newman, of Mad Magazine fame) but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. That may have been a name along the way because I think it changed names once or twice, but it's not the name I'm trying to think of. It's just killing me trying to remember the name. There was nothing very fancy about the place. They had rails set up where you entered in front of the register, so you could form a line. The dining room was off to the side and they had mostly booths, if I remember. Maybe with a few large round tables. The menu was sort of ordinary American foods (diner-ish) - burgers, fries, etc. You know what I distinctly remember about the place, come to think of it now? THE ONION RINGS! YES! The onion rings! Big, fat, greasy onion rings! I loved them! HAHAHAHA! I haven't thought about those in probably 30 years!

That was def the name of the place, Al Newman's. I don't remember any red plastic soda cups though, I always drank beer there. They served pitchers with frosted mugs.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, being a noob here, I haven't figured out how to work the quote feature on this forum yet. It's a little different than another I visit. Sorry for the ignorance. I'm referring to Justin, a couple posts up.

You know what I remember most about the Rodeo? Aside from the guy setting fire to your steak to make it cook quicker? The "Texas Toast!" Hahaha! It was my favorite part of the meal! They made a good T-bone, too.

What was the name of the cold cut place in the mall a couple doors down? Was that "Fabulous Meat City," or something like that? The mall that sold meats! HAHAHA Now they just have 19 different sneaker places.

The best guess I can come up with about the place on 440 is "Al Newmans," (apparently after Alfred E. Newman, of Mad Magazine fame) but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. That may have been a name along the way because I think it changed names once or twice, but it's not the name I'm trying to think of. It's just killing me trying to remember the name. There was nothing very fancy about the place. They had rails set up where you entered in front of the register, so you could form a line. The dining room was off to the side and they had mostly booths, if I remember. Maybe with a few large round tables. The menu was sort of ordinary American foods (diner-ish) - burgers, fries, etc. You know what I distinctly remember about the place, come to think of it now? THE ONION RINGS! YES! The onion rings! Big, fat, greasy onion rings! I loved them! HAHAHAHA! I haven't thought about those in probably 30 years! This is going way back (for me, anyway). Hate to admit it, but I'll be 38 soon, and this is definitely going back to childhood memories. Hopefully they're fairly accurate. This place was in business way before there was so much development in the area. I think Great Eastern / Valley Fair was still there, and Two Guys was still around, too. Back to those days. If I remember, I don't even think the Colonette even existed when this place that I'm trying to think of was open (not sure of that fact, though - don't know when the Colonette was built). Definitely back in the days of Roosevelt Stadium - when it was actually an active ball park and major league baseball farm teams played some games there! I believe they were called the Jersey City Indians, and they were a farm team for the Cleveland Indians. My dad took me to see Rickey Henderson play there before he hit the big leagues. That, I definitely remember!

Sorry - the memories are taking me in different directions now... hahaha. If you can come up with the name of that place, I'll owe you a big gold star!

And yup! Villaggio's! Bingo!

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

justin wrote:
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
I still say that Jules in the Heights kicked ass and what about that Pizza place accross from St Al's on Westside ave, I forgot the name, use to make a good Pie.....

Yummy !

Pompei, of course....Frank and Marie....

Thanks Bro, It was itching away at me....

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/7 21:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
I still say that Jules in the Heights kicked ass and what about that Pizza place accross from St Al's on Westside ave, I forgot the name, use to make a good Pie.....

Yummy !

Pompei, of course....Frank and Marie....

Posted on: 2008/10/7 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

justin wrote:
Quote:

zerofxdude wrote:
let's see how many i can come up with:

- Grandma's Pancake house, which is now IHOP on 440; my classmate's family owned it so maybe i was biased

- when i was a kid, there was a pharmacy in journal square named Liss, and the cafeteria there was pretty good

- plankboard inn

can i include fast food places:

- roy rogers on 440; hell, all roy rogers
- Gino's/KFC on west side ave
- Church's fried chicken on summit ave and sip
- Blimpie base in journal square (the original location with a balcony)

Oh Man. You are SOOO Jersey City My husband laughs at me because I still call it the Blimpie Base...What a shame...Blimpie's were really good, right.....How about Arthur Treacher's in the (Hudson) Mall?? It's actually there again. I was there about a month ago, and I nearly died when I saw it....

Okay, we're really starting to age ourselves with this post..
Yes, definatley remember Arthur treachers Fish&Chips and can't believe their back again...Awesome !

And yes, the one and Only Blimpie base is still in Da Heights and they don't Chinse out on the ColdCuts, the walls are saturated with that Vinegar smell...(Mouth is watering)...

Yummy !

Posted on: 2008/10/7 21:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerofxdude wrote:
let's see how many i can come up with:

- Grandma's Pancake house, which is now IHOP on 440; my classmate's family owned it so maybe i was biased

- when i was a kid, there was a pharmacy in journal square named Liss, and the cafeteria there was pretty good

- plankboard inn

can i include fast food places:

- roy rogers on 440; hell, all roy rogers
- Gino's/KFC on west side ave
- Church's fried chicken on summit ave and sip
- Blimpie base in journal square (the original location with a balcony)

Oh Man. You are SOOO Jersey City My husband laughs at me because I still call it the Blimpie Base...What a shame...Blimpie's were really good, right.....How about Arthur Treacher's in the (Hudson) Mall?? It's actually there again. I was there about a month ago, and I nearly died when I saw it....

Posted on: 2008/10/7 20:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:
The original Jule's on West Side. Best chicken parm ever.

Roy's Buena Vista on Mallory. Calamari was good.

Downtown Eddie's. He sponsored a hockey team I played on years ago. We stunk, but his food was great after a game. We all wanted to bring him a championship trophy to display but it never happened.

Just for kicks - not that it was a favorite, but does anyone remember the Rodeo in the Hudson Mall?

What was the name of the place on 440, located somewhere over near where Roosevelt Lanes used to be? This is going back MANY years. It disappeared when I was a kid and I can never remember the name. I remember that they had the first "car driving" video game I ever saw. The screen was green, and it had a stick shift and a steering wheel. I remember the volume being excessively loud most of the time. The only other thing I can remember about the place is that they served sodas in red plastic cups. It was a sit-down type place. The name has escaped me for years, and it bugs me.

Nope. Jules on Westside was the best! Sorry, Heights people:o)

LOVED the Rodeo?.It reminds me of Tads Steaks in the City?standing in line for the greasy brush?.Yum. Yum?.Yummy.

And, Red-Deutsch, please post it when you remember what you?re thinking of on 440 with the red cups??? I can?t imagine what you mean. There was a Diner?The Colony, I think. And, I believe that was where the Pizza Hut was - back when they had waitresses?I think they had red cups (just like Jules)?But, I?m curious to know what you?re thinking?.What kind of food??

And, wasn?t it Villagio; the Pizza parlor on 440 with the Gyros? The pizza was really good when it first opened.

Tippys! Yummy. Forgot about them all?I?m so hungry right now. I?m dying for a Jules Meatball parm?.They were like giant breadballs covered in that sweet red sauce.

I always wonder about the Barge/Barge Inn when I pass the one on Monmouth?I remember a Barge Inn, but I don?t remember it being downtown. Were there two?

Posted on: 2008/10/7 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I agree, Tippys was a good one. My mom had a friend up that way that used to baby sit me when I was a kid. They'd always have Tippy's take out on the nights they were watching me.

This thread is making me hungry.

The Plank Board was right up in that area too, and that was a good one as well. Little more high-brow, or whatever you want to call it, but the food was always good.

Another sort of "fancy" type place I remember as a kid was the Barge. Truthfully, I don't even recall whether it was actually in JC or not, and I have no idea what ever came of the place, but all I do remember is that place had some really good seafood. First time I ever tried king crab legs was there.

Now I'm definitely hungry.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:

Downtown Eddie's. He sponsored a hockey team I played on years ago. We stunk, but his food was great after a game. We all wanted to bring him a championship trophy to display but it never happened.

Just for kicks - not that it was a favorite, but does anyone remember the Rodeo in the Hudson Mall?

What was the name of the place on 440, located somewhere over near where Roosevelt Lanes used to be? This is going back MANY years. It disappeared when I was a kid and I can never remember the name. I remember that they had the first "car driving" video game I ever saw. The screen was green, and it had a stick shift and a steering wheel. I remember the volume being excessively loud most of the time. The only other thing I can remember about the place is that they served sodas in red plastic cups. It was a sit-down type place. The name has escaped me for years, and it bugs me.

Hell YEAH, You can't be from JC and not remember the Rodeo at the Mall, use to have to stand on line with a tray waiting for that Steak, it was no Arthur's, but good at the time. Howabout the Gyro & Pizza place in the same parking lot area as the 440 mall......

I have to dissagree with Jules on WestSide, I think the one up in the Heights on Franlin was DA BEST!!!!

I miss Tippys on the Blvd & Brother's dinner on Central accross from the North District.

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/7 19:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
I really did like Gabagoolz...the food was good when you were craving a hearty sandwich, but it was almost like a dream since they never seemed open.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 19:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/10/6 2:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Most old Diners that look like train cars really weren't, like this one:
Resized Image

Hey I just ate there a couple months ago when we were in Minnesota... it looks better from the outside... so did the food

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 2:28
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
The Tunnel Diner just out by the Holland Tunnel entrance. Good food, inexpensive and the people running that place were always so pleasant. Plus it was a genuine, authentic, honest-to-God diner, meaning it had once been a dining car on a train and was converted into a restaurant. Those places are so few and far between.

Though in rare cases train cars were made into Diners, like these:
Resized Image

Most old Diners that look like train cars really weren't, like this one:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/9/12 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
The Tunnel Diner just out by the Holland Tunnel entrance. Good food, inexpensive and the people running that place were always so pleasant. Plus it was a genuine, authentic, honest-to-God diner, meaning it had once been a dining car on a train and was converted into a restaurant. Those places are so few and far between.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown Eddie's Mixed Grill where you could get Chicken Marsala with broccoli rabe or spinach, mashed potatoes and italian bread for $9.99 or fried fish and fries for same and half priced martinis.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
The Burger King on Newark

Posted on: 2008/9/11 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I also miss Melt and Comfort Bistro, along with the old newport pancake house (pre Brownstone Diner). I know the owners are the same, but I miss the old building, its ambience and the old menu.

Posted on: 2008/9/11 19:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/11 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
I miss Al's Diner something about there food now makes me sick to my stomach it's cold and sorry to say it crappy. :( Its just not the same.

Posted on: 2008/9/11 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
Here's a list of places that have come and gone to get the conversation started.

(Please note that these are in no particular order and are not necessarily a reflection of what I miss most!)

1. Liberty Grille and River Bar

2. Melt

3. Rachel

4. Plumtree Japanese Cuisine

5. DJ Garden

6. Scent of Italy

7. Casablanca Grill

8. Comfort Bistro

9. Columbus Cafe

10. Gabagoolz Italian Deli

11. Unlimited Pizza Cafe Diner

12. Chin Chin's Gourmet

13. H20 Asian Fusion

14. Epicure Market Cafe

15. Tania's

16. Nicco's

17. La Primavera

18. Cafe Spice

19. Baker Boys Cafe

20. Hearts & Horns

What inspired this post? I was just FINALLY cleaning out a deep drawer where I keep all of the take-out menus I acquire.

I was amazed to see how many places have died over the years since I moved to Jersey City back in 2001! May they all rest in peace.

I miss the places that actually serve good, delicious food...

CK

Posted on: 2008/8/26 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
I really miss Simple Cafe too (i.e., before current management). It used to be such an awesome spot to chill. Now I feel like crying everytime I see what it has become.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 19:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was just thinking about and missing Schluer's (pronounced Shlew-was) on Westside. I could go for a blt on toast & a milkshake.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 18:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
my husband misses Carribean Cafe, but i think they were always too stoned that they never had anything. Or would tell you they didn't have it until like 5 minutes into your waiting.

I miss Rachel's. she was sweet and i am craving their salads and sandwiches. I miss that brie sandwich with the mango.... yum. I tried making it, not the same.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 17:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
That sounds vaguely familiar. It was kind of like a Schrafts....I thought it awesome, too.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 17:32

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017