Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Political Mail becomes Metaphor for campaign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Only Healy mailer I've had for the last month was entirely in Spanish and had a picture of Fulop, a picture of Mitt Romney, a bunch of Wall St stuff, and a big "REPUBLICANO!" on it. Some pretty sleazy stuff to try and pull.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 1:56

Re: Mayor Healy's latest mailer: What's up with the nose job?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EWT wrote:
When I received Team Healy's campaign piece attacking Steve Fulop something looked off. It took a moment to realize that there's some very sinister photoshopping going on. My thoughts on why this is important for people to call out the mayor on it (and I would be happy to be proved wrong)

http://www.examiner.com/article/team-healy-s-dirtiest-trick

Healy team has been using this same altered anti-semitic photo of Fulop the whole campaign. Its outrageous and sick.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 20:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't gotten a chance to see the latest Team Healy's campaign mailer, but the only two "postcard" style Healy mailers I received attacking Fulop and Bertolli are absolutely disgraceful and P A T H E T I C!!

Posted on: 2013/5/13 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
He has been called out on it. His response was to use the photo twice on his next mailer. Once as the portrait on a fake $100 bill and then, on the back of the mailer, enlarged to take up one entire side. I guess they figure Healy voters don't care about his character or are too stupid to notice.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 17:29

Mayor Healy's latest mailer: What's up with the nose job?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/13 17:20
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
When I received Team Healy's campaign piece attacking Steve Fulop something looked off. It took a moment to realize that there's some very sinister photoshopping going on. My thoughts on why this is important for people to call out the mayor on it (and I would be happy to be proved wrong)

http://www.examiner.com/article/team-healy-s-dirtiest-trick

Posted on: 2013/5/13 17:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Mailings (like the newsletter) from City-hall go out to the property owners. Has nothing to do with age, political party afflictions, gender or registered voters. If you own property, you would see this type of mailing.

And I'm saying I haven't received this, nor has anyone I know in my neighborhood. That makes it seem like a targeted piece of election mailing rather than even a "you all know what this really is" attempt to inform residents.

If, as New2JCHeights says, Healy campaigners are distributing this as campaign literature, that's the smoking gun that Healy has once again crossed even the pretense of an ethical line.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Mailings (like the newsletter) from City-hall go out to the property owners. Has nothing to do with age, political party afflictions, gender or registered voters. If you own property, you would see this type of mailing.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 10:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
I received mine Saturday morning when a group of Healy campaigners (including Ward C Candidate) knocked on my door (Jefferson Ave). I was unable to answer, but saw them from my window--they left the newsletter along with campaign material.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 3:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fedup07302 wrote:
Maybe the reason some people here are getting it and some are not is the List the City is using.
If it were really all about good government, would not everyone on the tax rolls at least get it.
Perhaps they only sent it to registered voters of a certain age that they feel will vote for them.
Anyone here a renter that did not get it? Under 40?
Even Stupid Crooks have a Method to their madness.

Exactly my point.

Quote:

Magnus wrote:
If they "just happen" to come out right before an election, and they "just happen" to resemble campaign literature, and they "just happen" to use the same text as campaign literature, and they "just happen" to be mailed to registered voters, or even worse to targeted voter lists rather than to every address in the city, then I would say they JUST HAPPEN to be unethical and potentially illegal.

If it's really a newsletter meant to inform the residents of the city, it should be mailed to everyone. If they're targeting, it's more evidence they're using public money illegally to aid their campaign.

Maybe the Corporation Counsel could give us an opinion on the subject?

Posted on: 2013/3/19 3:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the reason some people here are getting it and some are not is the List the City is using.
If it were really all about good government, would not everyone on the tax rolls at least get it.
Perhaps they only sent it to registered voters of a certain age that they feel will vote for them.
Anyone here a renter that did not get it? Under 40?

Even Stupid Crooks have a Method to their madness.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
I received the newsletter in the mail. It's the same one that comes out a couple of times per year. I'll see if I can get it scanned or I'll post pictures.

It's 8 pages, glossy. When it arrived it was folded in half with a picture of Healy on the front and the back. When you open it up the first page is a story titled "Mayor Healy & Police Chief Swear in 22 New Police Officers."

Then there was a page about plans for Fulton Ave. Park in Ward F, with yet another tip of the hat to Healy. Then the spring/summer recreation calendar. Then 2 pages about Hurricane Sandy with 5 photos (Healy in 3 of the 5). Then a page titled "Mayor Healy Announces Comprehensive Bike Program." A picture of Healy holding a check from the gun buyback. Then a directory to government phone numbers with 4 photos (Healy in 3 of 4).

10 photos in 8 pages.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 20:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
The "newsletter" hasn't made it to my house yet. Nor have I been getting them on any kind of a regular basis.

Driver's license, voter, taxpayer, juror, lived at same address more than 10 years. Maybe it's just another example of City Hall's incompetence.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 19:09
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Are you saying that you receive this newsletter in the mail still? I haven't had one in over two years, probably more.

Why not? I haven't moved. I remember them announcing they were going to change over to electronic format and I signed up through the City's Web site, but I never got any email newsletter either.

I'll believe you if you are saying you have gotten the actual physical newsletter at your home every year, but not if you are just submitting for dates. I know the County does a great calendar that I get in the mail every year. I love that calendar.

Now I am wondering why I don't receive the Municipal Newsletter in any format if they are doing that, but I did just see this spring 2011 one on the Mayor's action bureau site http://cityofjerseycity.com/mayor.aspx?id=1204&terms=newsletter

Were these mailed? Looks like four pages. Too bad they don't have an archive of the past ones or they don't email these out to those who signed up for the email list. Maybe they do and I don't get them due to a glitch on mine or their end.

Can someone post the 6 page one that they got in the mail?

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Except we haven't seen this news letter in a few years and then this one suddenly pops up months before an election.

I have to correct you here, Althea. This newsletter comes out each year, I know this as a fact since I have to submit the calendar of events for the Pet Owners Day clinics. This year, I was not able to get the dates in on time (my bad). Anyway, not saying if this should stop to to tough economic times, but like I said in an earlier post, this is nothing new.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 13:32
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
All illegal, but you have to have the stamina and money (because they will just use city hall lawyers) to bring a case like this about.

City hall lawyers don't have time for that - they are too busy running Healy's campaign.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Except we haven't seen this news letter in a few years and then this one suddenly pops up months before an election.

I have to correct you here, Althea. This newsletter comes out each year, I know this as a fact since I have to submit the calendar of events for the Pet Owners Day clinics. This year, I was not able to get the dates in on time (my bad). Anyway, not saying if this should stop to to tough economic times, but like I said in an earlier post, this is nothing new.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

I'm not surprised though as to the use of tax payer money, let's be honest this is what it is. In 2009 Mayor Healy created the same campaign colors that he just happened to have Cultural Affairs use for all of their big public events like National Night Out and a block party in every ward.

All illegal, but you have to have the stamina and money (because they will just use city hall lawyers) to bring a case like this about.

People want transparency, but I find it incredibly transparent.

Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, bu how is this legal - using tax dollars for campaign literature?

The campaign manager of the Healy campaign is also the Corporation Council (head attorney) of Jersey City...so it's his responsibility to make certain that "legally" they don't cross the line between municipal newsletter and taxpayer financed campaign material. I wish I had a working fireplace like user1111 when I read the newsletter yesterday...

He must not be very good at his job given the recent fundraising scandal.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 10:48
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

InsideStraight wrote:
One of the Lee Atwater / Karl Rove tactics is to do something outrageous enough that you can get others to repeat your message, even if they're saying how nasty it is.

[...]

When you pick up slime, you can't help but get slimed yourself.

...I took the bait. You're right, and much smarter than I. Thanks for the perspective.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 3:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
One of the Lee Atwater / Karl Rove tactics is to do something outrageous enough that you can get others to repeat your message, even if they're saying how nasty it is.

The message still gets out there, and the theme becomes part of the background. The originator of the slime sits back and smiles as free media and buzz distributes the message far and wide.

I'll bet that Healy did not print a lot of these, and is relying on others to spread the word. My guess is they sent at least as many of these hit pieces downtown, to attack the perception of Fulop as clean and with integrity, as they did to Ward F.

When you pick up slime, you can't help but get slimed yourself.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Haizum wrote: As nauseating as I imagine this is, I still want to see it for myself. Can somebody take pictures and upload? Extra points if you use a scanner like its 1999. :)
Here it is - somewhere, Karl Rove is nodding in approval while nuzzling a corn dog. Cue the Willie Horton/Swift Boat music. Extra credit: Notice how Healy won't put his name on this side of the mailing*? I'm off to take a shower. Sent my 50 bucks in last night. karl rove001 _____________________________ * The address label states that the mailing was "Authorized and paid for by Healy Team 2013."

Posted on: 2013/3/16 1:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think there are several points. Let's start with - is this an appropriate use of taxpayer money? Let's go with a no on that one.

If the Mayor had a record to promote, we'd already know it.

I don't recall seeing these on a regular basis at all. Nor have I received one yet.

If they "just happen" to come out right before an election, and they "just happen" to resemble campaign literature, and they "just happen" to use the same text as campaign literature, and they "just happen" to be mailed to registered voters, or even worse to targeted voter lists rather than to every address in the city, then I would say they JUST HAPPEN to be unethical and potentially illegal.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

This is the same type of newsletter sent to all residents dating back three/four administrations. I moved here late 1995 and this is the same type of newsletter all the Mayors sent out post 1995. Can't speak for Mayor McCann days, that was before my time.

If the standard for ethics in JC is going to be "look to the past; everyone has done it" we are in trouble.

If your point is that, these newsletters should cease in order to save money? point taken. However, for those who are spinning this like its some newly created diabolic scheme to send out campaign material using taxpayers dollars is why I posted. There is nothing new about this type of newsletter that city hall sends out every 6 months or so since, I have moved to here, end of my point.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

This is the same type of newsletter sent to all residents dating back three/four administrations. I moved here late 1995 and this is the same type of newsletter all the Mayors sent out post 1995. Can't speak for Mayor McCann days, that was before my time.

If the standard for ethics in JC is going to be "look to the past; everyone has done it" we are in trouble.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, bu how is this legal - using tax dollars for campaign literature?

The campaign manager of the Healy campaign is also the Corporation Council (head attorney) of Jersey City...so it's his responsibility to make certain that "legally" they don't cross the line between municipal newsletter and taxpayer financed campaign material. I wish I had a working fireplace like user1111 when I read the newsletter yesterday...

He must not be very good at his job given the recent fundraising scandal.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/15 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

milkbone wrote:
I received a Birthday Card from councilman Fulop. I haven't had one of those since Mayor McCann.

I did not; my other half did. :( I'm beginning to think he doesn't love me anymore.

Maybe it is just delayed love and I will get mine for my next birthday..

I was just informed that I may not have received the B-day card because I'm under 55? Well, that is a good thing! If this is the case I will welcome that card as much as I did the AARP card that was sent to me on my 40th. *sideeyes*

Posted on: 2013/3/15 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/15 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Because the Healy crowd will tell you it is not campaign literature, but rather a way to inform the citizenry about how well things are going in Jersey City and who should get credit.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
As nauseating as I imagine this is, I still want to see it for myself. Can somebody take pictures and upload? Extra points if you use a scanner like its 1999. :)

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I got mines a few days ago, its not so bad, but then again the newsletter from city hall has always been a letter touting accomplishments. I just threw mines in the fire place with the burning wood.

If you were expecting Healy to use campaign monies to pat himself on the back, get over it. He is using our tax dollars to do it. No one ever said this dude was ethical.

So far we have not received nothing from Fulop, Walker,or any other candidate which is scary since election day is approaching fast and so many of us up here are not huge fans of any of them.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017