Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Short Term rental enforcement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
A side note: There were a lot of short term rentals for Jersey City on the website. I doubt many of them were owner-occupied.

Seeing the day rates I can see people were / are pulling in some serious $$$. The guy who owned the dump of a building next to me told me he cleared $178k in a single year doing AirB&B.

Posted on: 2020/7/14 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Karin Price Mueller is the consumer advocacy reporter for NJ.com. She is responsive to emails and offers advice. She might be able to help you through the red tape of at least connecting with someone in the city to get this resolved. This would be a great story.

Sorry you're going through this and good luck - keep us updated.

Here's Karin's email:

karin@njmoneyhelp.com

Posted on: 2020/7/14 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

That's an interesting one, getting fines for listing a short term rental that doesn't exist.

So, the other question is, were you able to inform the city that that those listings on FlipKey, and who knows where else, are not your listings? I presume you actually didn't get fined yet, just warnings from the city.

I am sending the city a certified letter with the proof I have that this is a fraudulent post. Not sure if it will work. Years back I had a more of a incompetence than faud issue involving the city of Newark. Letters didn't help until I ended up in front of a judge to explain that I didn't own a particular property.

What annoys me is the fraudulent account was closed back in 2018, but the ad still appears on searches. I have been on the phone with someone in some Indian call center twice before I found someone who at least asked higher ups what to do.

I was supposed to get an email that I would reply to with proof of ownership so I could get the ad pulled... but that email never came through.

I guess I will be back on the phone with Mumbai today or tomorrow..

Posted on: 2020/7/14 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Learned something today...

Check with the short term rental companies to see if your property is listed. I got a "love note" from Jersey City threatening me with $2k per day fines for an illegal short term rental.

I don't do short terms now, nor have I ever done short term rentals...

Turns out a previous tenant listed herself as the owner and was subletting a room for $79 a night. The tenant has been gone for almost 2 years, but the ad still shows up in searches.

I have been on the phone with FlipKey for the past hour trying to get this ad removed.

That's an interesting one, getting fines for listing a short term rental that doesn't exist.

So, the other question is, were you able to inform the city that that those listings on FlipKey, and who knows where else, are not your listings? I presume you actually didn't get fined yet, just warnings from the city.

Posted on: 2020/7/14 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Check with the short term rental companies to see if your property is listed. I got a "love note" from Jersey City threatening me with $2k per day fines for an illegal short term rental.

Turns out a previous tenant listed herself as the owner and was subletting a room for $79 a night. The tenant has been gone for almost 2 years, but the ad still shows up in searches.

I have been on the phone with FlipKey for the past hour trying to get this ad removed.

Posted on: 2020/7/14 4:29

Short Term rental enforcement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/7/13 20:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017