Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Columbus Drive: Shut! 'Illegal' Downtown barber, tattoo shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
i thought this place was also the one with the hip hop record label and drug stop operating out of the back room?

It is the same place and should have been shut down
when the big "drug bust" happened.
Everyone has known about this dive for years;
why are the police always the last to find things out?

Posted on: 2007/7/14 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
i thought this place was also the one with the hip hop record label and drug stop operating out of the back room?

Posted on: 2007/7/14 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
So if it wasn't for the 'small fire' no one would have know anything about these businesses.

What is so hard about OUR inspectors simply picking a street and checking if all the businesses on it are legal - seems like a NO BRAINER in my books.

Start with Communipaw and check every business on it.

The inspectors can also check if those businesses with tables and chairs on the sidewalk are:

1. Allowed to be there with a permit
2. Allowed that many tables and chairs with a permit
3. Allowed to extend their tables and chairs out into the sidewalk that far with a permit - some block the whole sidewalk.

Posted on: 2007/7/14 16:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Columbus Drive: Shut! 'Illegal' Downtown barber, tattoo shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Shut! 'Illegal' Downtown barber, tattoo shop

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Jersey City inspectors have shut down an illegal barber shop and tattoo parlor operating out of a basement on Columbus Drive.

The business, at the corner of Newark Avenue, was also slapped with 15 fire code violations, the city's fire inspector, Matthew Barrett, said yesterday.
Advertisement

The investigation began after a small fire two weeks ago, Barrett said. Firefighters told fire inspectors about possible violations, and that triggered a visit Thursday morning from the Mayor's Quality of Life Task Force.

When inspectors arrived, "there were people cutting hair and there were customers there," said H. James Boor, the city's chief health inspector.

Michael Hertz, 41, of New York City, who was cutting a customer's hair, was charged with acting as a barber without a state license, Boor said.

Jaime Diaz, 34, of Concord Street in Jersey City, was charged with operating the unlicensed barber shop, and John Blanco, of Dales Avenue in Jersey City, age unavailable, was charged with operating an illegal tattoo parlor on the premises, Boor said.

The building's owner, Niranjana Parikh, of Williston Park, N.Y., was charged with creating a public health nuisance because water was being discharged onto the curb from the air conditioner and forming a stagnant pool, Boor said.

All four face a maximum of $1,500 in fines and 90 days in jail on each charge, Boor said.

The fire code violations, issued to Parikh and Diaz, relate to electrical wiring and "inadequate egress" in the basement, Barrett said. They each face $10,000 in fines for those charges, he said.

JASON FINK

Posted on: 2007/7/14 13:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017