Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Familiar name running for state senator, Mayor Cunningham's widow: Sandra Bolden Cunningham
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Doria has challenger for Senate

Tuesday, January 30, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A familiar name may be going back on the ballot in Hudson County.

Sandra Bolden Cunningham, widow of Jersey City Mayor Glenn D. Cunningham, will announce Thursday she's running for state senator in the 31st Legislative District, said Bobby Jackson, a political ally of the late mayor and friend of Bolden Cunningham.

The former first lady of Jersey City is scheduled to make her announcement at 11 a.m. at the Liberty House restaurant in Jersey City, Jackson said yesterday.

Bolden Cunningham - who didn't return phone calls for comment on her bid for elected office - will be taking on incumbent state Sen. and Bayonne Mayor Joseph V. Doria Jr.

Doria greeted the news with good sportsmanship.

"I wish her good luck," Doria said.

Asked to handicap the race, Doria added, "Every election is a tough race. You don't run unless you think you can win."

The Senate seat is a familiar one in the Cunningham household. The late mayor held the post from January 2004 until his death from a heart attack in May 2004.

The district takes in all of Bayonne and a southern chunk of Jersey City. Two-thirds of the voters in the district live in Jersey City, officials said.

Bolden Cunningham will be running with former Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone, Jackson said.

"I saw her as Glenn's righthand person. I have a lot of respect for her ability to legislate," Chiappone said.

The ticket on the other side of the Democratic ledger is also in flux. Assemblyman Lou Manzo is definitely running with Doria, but whether Charles T. Epps Jr. remains on the slate hasn't been decided, HCDO officials said.

Posted on: 2007/1/30 13:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017