Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: One of Jersey City oldest houses -- Circa 1840 -- was illegally destroyed
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/27 4:28
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
BTW - wish I knew what a portmandeau is. Is it anything like a Woop De Damme Dieu?

portmanteau

n 1: a new word formed by joining two others and combining their meanings; "`smog' is a blend of `smoke' and `fog'"; "`motel' is a portmanteau word made by combining `motor' and `hotel'"; "`brunch' is a well-known portmanteau"

You can figure the root words of mine :)

Posted on: 2006/8/21 4:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/4 17:46
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Australian:

"Do we know what the infringement / penalty is, or is it 'cost-effective' to ignore city orders?"

Basically, this'll happen any time the dvlpt co. calculates that they'll make more rev off the construction than they'll lose in fines and penalties. As has been mentioned, JC admin has already set a precedent that they are not going to make waves against the same developers they've been courting for the last few years in an effort to catalyze commercial and new residential construction in the area. They've made their bed, and now we have to lie in it.

Posted on: 2006/8/21 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

byrd wrote:
Quote:
Maybe they need a simple flow chart that helps them make a decision?

PS: Doesn't the City have Building Inspectors to enforce stop work orders and the like?

Not likely.

There is a portmanteau that comes to mind or when I think of the City of Jersey City:
fuctards

Actually, it's the police who shut down unpermitted jobs. If a neighbor had made the call in time it might have been stopped. It's unlikely though, I am familiar with the house and it could have been taken down in less than 5 min with the machine they have on site. They are in the process of building two brick $hithouses directly across the street from this one. The house in question has been abandoned for many years, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Never realized it was as old as they say.
BTW - wish I knew what a portmandeau is. Is it anything like a Woop De Damme Dieu?

Posted on: 2006/8/21 3:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PS: Doesn't the City have Building Inspectors to enforce stop work orders and the like?

Not likely.

There is a portmanteau that comes to mind or when I think of the City of Jersey City:

fuctards

Posted on: 2006/8/21 2:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
What is the drama?

The city issues a stop work order, Sacks realty ignores the order and demolishes the building.

The city should fine the company, its directors and even the demolition crew (this should make people more accountable and follow procedures - no demolition guy will take the risk if the green light is only given by the builders) with whatever the penalty is.

The city then (as part of the penalty) allows Sacks realty to clean up the site, but enforce an order that no construction is allowed for 12 months.

This will be financially straining to Sacks realty.

Once the building was demolished its too late, but the penalty for the breach should hurt the hip pocket.

Do we know what the infringement / penalty is, or is it 'cost-effective' to ignore city orders?

It sounds like the city council is a bull dog with no teeth, if it can't work out what to do with this issue.

Posted on: 2006/8/20 21:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/7 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
wow - that tshirt is my email summed up visually!

Posted on: 2006/8/20 17:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I think my JC t-shirt sums it up.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/8/20 16:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/7 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
how about everyone take the time to let Sacks Realty know how you feel.

info@sacksrealty.com

Posted on: 2006/8/20 16:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/6 23:47
From Jersey City - "the village"
Group:
Registered Users
People, should this be a surprise in a city where developers rule? Fines? The developer will file suit and bully the city into a settlement ala 110 and 11 first street. The precident has been set and the development community knows the city has the spine of an overcooked noodle.
Except when it comes to enforcing parking laws against its residents ;)

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Historic building gone
Saturday, August 19, 2006
By JENNIFER MARKOWITZ
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City said it issued stop-work order

Jersey City lost one of its oldest houses when two 19th-century buildings were recently demolished on Sherman Avenue.

The house closest to the street, built in the 1870s, was demolished legally over a week ago and the second structure, of Dutch-influenced architecture and believed to have been built 20 to 40 years earlier, was illegally destroyed on Wednesday, city officials said yesterday.

After the demolition of the first structure the city issued a stop-work order to prevent the destruction of the older building when it was discovered that it may be more than 150 years old, said Barbara Netchert, acting director of the city Department of Housing, Economic Development and Commerce. A city ordinance prohibits demolition of houses more than 150 years old without the approval of City Council.

Because the age of the building was in doubt, the city issued a stop-work order until it could be determined, but demolition went ahead anyway, Netchert said.

The property owner, Bob Sacks of Sacks Realty, could not be reached for comment yesterday. Calls to his attorney were also not returned.

Netchert said the city is now trying to determine what to do next.

Jacob Morgan, who lives next to the demolished site, said he first saw demolition notices about a month ago.

"I am unhappy because that house cannot come back again," he said. "It was a greedy act to knock down history."

Joshua Parkhurst, president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, said that he would like to see construction of a similar building.

"A stop-work order is not enough. We have laws, but people just break them," he said. "More needs to be done to preserve history."

Posted on: 2006/8/20 15:58
"Never confuse dissent with disloyality" - Thomas Paine

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/11 23:27
From where the sun don't shine
Group:
Registered Users
well, of course there is a dire need of parking in this fair city.

Posted on: 2006/8/20 14:15
it's a long, long way from Bollywood to Battersea - Peter Doherty

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Charles Epps should be forced to rebuild it after his limbs are cut off.

Posted on: 2006/8/20 12:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

My suggestion would be to make the people responsible for demolishing the house to rebuild one exactly like the one the knocked down, OR pay a 500k fine of which the money goes to the preservation society (not the city because we know that it will be misspent)

I am so insanely pissed off right now.

Posted on: 2006/8/20 2:09

One of Jersey City oldest houses -- Circa 1840 -- was illegally destroyed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Historic building gone
Saturday, August 19, 2006
By JENNIFER MARKOWITZ
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City said it issued stop-work order

Jersey City lost one of its oldest houses when two 19th-century buildings were recently demolished on Sherman Avenue.

The house closest to the street, built in the 1870s, was demolished legally over a week ago and the second structure, of Dutch-influenced architecture and believed to have been built 20 to 40 years earlier, was illegally destroyed on Wednesday, city officials said yesterday.

After the demolition of the first structure the city issued a stop-work order to prevent the destruction of the older building when it was discovered that it may be more than 150 years old, said Barbara Netchert, acting director of the city Department of Housing, Economic Development and Commerce. A city ordinance prohibits demolition of houses more than 150 years old without the approval of City Council.

Because the age of the building was in doubt, the city issued a stop-work order until it could be determined, but demolition went ahead anyway, Netchert said.

The property owner, Bob Sacks of Sacks Realty, could not be reached for comment yesterday. Calls to his attorney were also not returned.

Jacob Morgan, who lives next to the demolished site, said he first saw demolition notices about a month ago.

"I am unhappy because that house cannot come back again," he said. "It was a greedy act to knock down history."

Joshua Parkhurst, president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, said that he would like to see construction of a similar building.

"A stop-work order is not enough. We have laws, but people just break them," he said. "More needs to be done to preserve history."

Posted on: 2006/8/19 20:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017