Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: State and Federal Tax benefits for owning a Historic Property
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Another update. After calling each of the legislators today, I received a prompt return call from Assemblyman Prieto's office (32nd District). His chief of staff informed me that after reviewing the bill, he will be adding his name today as a co-sponsor.

So make those calls. They can have an effect. Call Manzo's, Quigley's, and Prieto's offices to thank them. Call the other offices to encourage them to get on board.

Joshua Parkhurst
President
Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy

Posted on: 2006/3/10 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
On the federal level, there is an investment tax credit for income producing properties restored according to Secretary of Interior standards. Ultimately, this means that the only people who can take advantage of it are developers who use property as rentals. The Jersey City Medical Center renovation is being done as a tax credit program, and I've been told it is currently the largest such program in the country.

On the state level, there is not much, although there are efforts to change that. Currently, the state allows a five year deferral of property tax increases attributable to rehabilitation of homes at least 20 years old. There is no historic review.

There is a bill in the state legislature which would provide a 25 percent income tax credit for the cost for restoration of a historic building done according to Secretary of Interior standards. Preservation New Jersey is advocating the passage of this bill, and the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy fully supports it. We hope to launch an advocacy campaign in support of it soon. In the meantime, you can call your state legislators and ask them to sponsor and support Assembly Bill A896. The bill has not yet been introduced in the Senate. So far, the only Hudson County Assemblymember to support such a bill is Joan Quigley (32nd district). Assemblyman Chiappone was also a co-sponsor, but he is no longer in the Assembly.

The states which have similar credit programs consider them to be overwhelmingly successful. Paris Glendenning, former Governor of Maryland, spoke at last year's State Historic Preservation Office conference held at Liberty State Park, and said that studies had shown that for every dollar in tax credits given out under the program, states received three dollars back in other forms of revenue.

Joshua Parkhurst
President
Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy

EDIT: Correction to above. Assembly Manzo is also a sponsor, and a primary sponsor I might add.

Posted on: 2006/3/10 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I know, there are none for owning. I believe there still exist tax breaks for restoring and retaining, as rental property, historic structures.

Posted on: 2006/3/10 12:55
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

State and Federal Tax benefits for owning a Historic Property
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if they exist in New Jersey or on the Federal level?

Thanks

Posted on: 2006/3/10 6:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017