Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JERSEY CITY TO JETS: LAND HERE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
I am not a big sports guy so here's a question for those that are. I find the nickname "gang green" revolting. Do the Jets encourage its use? I cannot for the life of me imagine why they would want to be associated with such a disease.

You obviously are not aware of their performance last season. . . .

Posted on: 2006/3/31 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Skadave wrote:
The Jets aren't coming here:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 14380013121280.xml&coll=3

I am curious to know how much money was spent to try to get them to come to jersey city, especially when I read things like:
"For several months, Jersey City officials had mounted a campaign to lure Gang Green to a 28-acre site along Caven Point Road, even hosting a posh luncheon for Jets officials two weeks ago at the Liberty House restaurant in Liberty State Park."

This article also takes the cake for most used sport cliches.

I am not a big sports guy so here's a question for those that are. I find the nickname "gang green" revolting. Do the Jets encourage its use? I cannot for the life of me imagine why they would want to be associated with such a disease.

Posted on: 2006/3/31 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
The Jets aren't coming here:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 14380013121280.xml&coll=3

I am curious to know how much money was spent to try to get them to come to jersey city, especially when I read things like:
"For several months, Jersey City officials had mounted a campaign to lure Gang Green to a 28-acre site along Caven Point Road, even hosting a posh luncheon for Jets officials two weeks ago at the Liberty House restaurant in Liberty State Park."

This article also takes the cake for most used sport cliches.

Posted on: 2006/3/31 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
I just found out that I cannot edit my previous post due to time limit on editing posts(???) - I wanted to add this excerpt from the Jets: >>?We have been heartened by the genuine interest of so many towns to welcome us as their neighbors,? said Jets President Jay Cross. ?After conducting a comprehensive search which took us to more than 40 sites across New Jersey, we feel that these five most closely meet our specific needs. Over the next several weeks we will further evaluate each of them. Wherever we end up, we look forward to becoming active and engaged New Jersey citizens.? In addition to the new state and local tax revenues generated by the practice facility, the Jets are committed to community involvement through the support of civic charities as well as implementing established Jets initiatives to fight hunger and improve education and fitness. The Jets also support local football teams with coaching and kids clinics, local Coach of the Week Awards and free community access to training camp during the summer months.<< I'd think that would be a good thing for JC in general, and Greenville and Bergen-Lafayette in particular. But this may be OT, since this is a Downtown JC group (end sarcasm). This group is great in bitching about JC crime, but doing little about it. Wanna do something about it? Then write to Healy, and everyone elso you can think of, and get the Jets into Greenville, "activists"!

Posted on: 2006/2/14 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
There is one more good reason why the Jets should choose the Caven Point location.

The Jets have been known for their community involvement, holding clinics, Open Days, contributing to local charities, etc, etc.

Only in JC will they have a chance to LOCALLY work with urban youth, who will literally be their neighbors.

The way I see it, this will be the Jets' chance to make a meaningful, positive impact on their OWN neighborhood by providing leadership, role models, and perhaps entry-level jobs to the urban youth of JC. Mr Hurley has been trying to do it for years; the Jets' impact can be much more powerful.

The other 4 candidate locations are more suburban - not to say there are no worthy causes there, but there is certainly no desperate need for role models and opportunities like there is in Greenville and Bergen-Lafayette.

Posted on: 2006/2/14 14:04

JERSEY CITY TO JETS: LAND HERE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY TO JETS: LAND HERE
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jets running back Curtis Martin could soon be practicing his moves in Jersey City, if the plan pitched by city officials for a new headquarters and practice facility is a touchdown with the team.

The New York Jets announced on its Web site earlier this month that the team has narrowed its search for a new practice facility to five places in New Jersey and Jersey City made the cut.

"I think it's an excellent marriage," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said. "We have the best location, all of the amenities, and access to New York City."

The team has its eye on a 28-acre area along Caven Point Road, next to the Liberty National Golf Course being built at Port Libert? and adjacent to Cochrane Field.

Nearly 18 of the 28 acres are owned by the Jersey City Board of Education, which purchased the land from the city for roughly $8 million six years ago. The Jets have already begun to negotiate a sale price for a privately-owned warehouse that occupies the other 10 acres on the site, said Carl Czaplicki, the mayor's chief of staff and the city's point person in the negotiations with the Jets.

A ferry ride away from Manhattan, one Turnpike exit from Newark Liberty International Airport - and with Lady Liberty visible in the distance - the location is just what the Jets ordered, city officials said.

"The Jets were impressed with the site's potential," Czaplicki said. "They saw everything would fit."

Jets officials, who said they intend to chose a site by March 1, didn't return phone calls for comment.

Since agreeing to build a new stadium in the Meadowlands with the Giants, Jets officials said they want to open the new training facility in New Jersey by summer 2007. The Jets currently practice at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y.

This facility, they predicted, would generate more than $10 million annually in new tax revenue for the state.

Posted on: 2006/2/14 13:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017