Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: NJ Rates Your Public Schools - What's Your PS Score?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
After getting turned down last year, a group that is attempting to start up a K-3 Montessori focused charter have re-submitted their application. The Murphy administration has made it pretty clear they are not "Charter friendly", so I expect the latest application will also be rejected.

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/18 ... ects-latest-two-hopefuls/

Posted on: 2019/3/31 13:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/20 1:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nuvi wrote:
We summarized the data for all schools listed with Jersey City as the District in a single easy to swallow format. Take a look at Jersey City Ed:

https://jerseycityed.com/nj-doe-school-ratings/

P.S. Having reviewed the data, some charter schools are present, but other charter schools (LCCS, TECCS, METS, University Academy) are absent because they were not listed with Jersey City as the District. Let me know if you know of other schools, and we will update the chart soon.

Updated to include these additional schools:

University Academy Charter High School
Soaring Heights Charter School
Learning Community Charter School
M.E.T.S. CHARTER SCHOOL
The Ethical Community Charter School
BelovED Community Charter School

Posted on: 2018/3/2 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the charters are here - https://s3.amazonaws.com/nj-data/Educa ... school_scores_2016_17.csv

charter schools are their own district and not part of the jersey city public school district.

Quote:

nuvi wrote:
We summarized the data for all schools listed with Jersey City as the District in a single easy to swallow format. Take a look at Jersey City Ed:

P.S. Having reviewed the data, some charter schools are present, but other charter schools (LCCS, TECCS, METS, University Academy) are absent because they were not listed with Jersey City as the District. Let me know if you know of other schools, and we will update the chart soon.

Posted on: 2018/3/1 9:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/20 1:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/3/1 3:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/20 22:15
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jerseymom - Before we were enrolled in the school, the score may have concerned me, but through our experience, I realize that my daughter is getting a great education in a wonderful and supportive environment. Everyday, the principal, vice principal and teachers are at the entrance, greeting the kids by name. My daughter is already reading and writing, just halfway through kindergarten, and can do a surprising amount of math. The dual language program is rigorous and every teacher we have encountered so far has been really great. She has a ton of friends both from the neighborhood and within driving distance. They have afterschool programs like yoga, alphaminds, chess, drama, soccer, bambino chef (for a fairly modest cost). I am glad we decided on our public school. So far, it?s working well.

Posted on: 2018/2/1 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:
you are meandering again.

we only moved from 3rd to 8th St. while in Cordero and did not move to McGinley Square until both kids were in MS 4, where their program was for students citywide.

Sorry, I misplaced my notes on when you moved where!

Yeah, that preschool is quite the deal. I've heard it hurt the private preschools like at the synagogue quite a bit.

Posted on: 2018/2/1 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
you are meandering again.

we only moved from 3rd to 8th St. while in Cordero and did not move to McGinley Square until both kids were in MS 4, where their program was for students citywide.

there used to be zone boundary (catchment) maps on the JCBoE website by school, but they now just ask one to call them at - 201-915-6201.

I am not up on the oversubscribing issue, which from recollection was with 3 year pre-k. Not a bad deal - free universal 3 and 4 year old pre-k.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
"brewster" who meanders a bit ...

I can accept that! I'm curious, was there any problem with your kids staying in Cordero after you moved out of the neighborhood? And do you know what's going on with the oversubscribing and busing, or even where to find a catchment map? I had a prospective tenant ask me which zone we were in, and while I thought it was still Cordero, I realized I didn't actually know. Conti is fairly close too.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:
"brewster" who meanders a bit ...

I can accept that! I'm curious, was there any problem with your kids staying in Cordero after you moved out of the neighborhood? And do you know what's going on with the oversubscribing and busing, or even where to find a catchment map? I had a prospective tenant ask me which zone we were in, and while I thought it was still Cordero, I realized I didn't actually know. Conti is fairly close too.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
well, my children attended PS37 Cordero, 42.5 score, 38th percentile, and MS 4, 18.8 score and 9th percentile. we chose those schools. note that MS 4 includes 5 programs - AEP (accelerated, 4 years in 3), Hope (honors), general education, special needs and bridges (older kids above age for grades) which all are included in the score.

my children (a boy and a girl) have never encountered bullying.

there are great kids, teachers and programs throughout the district schools and there a few not so great of the same.

So no, the scores of those schools do not concern me at all, based on our experiences. and I believe our public district schools are competitive with private and charter options.

I mostly agree with "ecinjc", and with "brewster" who meanders a bit ...

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

SunnyJC wrote:
We have been incredibly happy with our zoned school, PS5, in the village section of downtown. When we first were looking at schools, we were thinking private but had heard from neighborhood friends that PS5 was a lovely school. We went for a tour and talked to parents and were pleasantly surprised. We also toured some private schools and they just didn?t blow us away. We have found a great community at PS5 and are glad that we kept our mind open to public school. My firstborn is in kindergarten now and is already reading and doing great with math. She is in the dual language program. Our youngest will start PRe-K 3 next year.

Does it concern you that your school received a NJ state score of 52/100? What are your thoughts on that?

Posted on: 2018/1/31 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
There's nothing ambiguous when I wrote, "That was the norm for all public high schools when I ran x-cross country (fall) and track (winter & spring) in public school many years ago."

You incorrectly made the assumption it was McNair.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
Left out, no. Misunderstood, yes. I was not writing about or comparing either school -but rather just my experience as a high school running athlete...all this further affirms t-bird's comments.

Ah yes, it's all me, even though you asserted you know the McNair girls coach and that the workout was the same short one as your experience.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SunnyJC wrote:
We have been incredibly happy with our zoned school, PS5, in the village section of downtown. When we first were looking at schools, we were thinking private but had heard from neighborhood friends that PS5 was a lovely school. We went for a tour and talked to parents and were pleasantly surprised. We also toured some private schools and they just didn?t blow us away. We have found a great community at PS5 and are glad that we kept our mind open to public school. My firstborn is in kindergarten now and is already reading and doing great with math. She is in the dual language program. Our youngest will start PRe-K 3 next year.

Does it concern you that your school received a NJ state score of 52/100? What are your thoughts on that?

Posted on: 2018/1/31 5:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/20 22:15
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/31 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Left out, no. Misunderstood, yes. I was not writing about or comparing either school -but rather just my experience as a high school running athlete...all this further affirms t-bird's comments.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 0:00

Edited by Ralph_Abutts on 2018/1/31 0:20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
Yes, there are also weekday meets - typically one on a weekday and another on a weekend. The weekday event is mostly local and against another single H.S. in the district. Weekends are either local or remote, much bigger events/meets requiring travel by bus.

Our weekday practices (workouts) were shorter in duration than the ball sports - football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, etc. Less time commitment. My hardest/most demanding workouts, 16 x 400 meters (speed) or an 11 mile run (endurance) is typically over in just over an hour and a half including stretching, warmups, cooldowns, puking yer guts out, etc.. There's only so much running/training you can do for a running event. And the McNair runners definitely do not train more than that - I know their woman's team coach. As for time management, I was busy a he// but managed my time very well.

You forget they don't usually work out from school, the whole bus thing to either the Armory or Lincoln Park is a giant time suck usually equaling the time actually working out. They'd rarely be home before 6.

Those free periods at Prep were another reason he chose McNair. He actually took more classes than he would have at Prep, or at High Tech for that matter.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, there are also weekday meets - typically one on a weekday and another on a weekend. The weekday event is mostly local and against another single H.S. in the district. Weekends are either local or remote, much bigger events/meets requiring travel by bus.

Our weekday practices (workouts) were shorter in duration than the ball sports - football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, etc. Less time commitment. My hardest/most demanding workouts, 16 x 400 meters (speed) or an 11 mile run (endurance) is typically over in just over an hour and a half including stretching, warmups, cooldowns, puking yer guts out, etc.. There's only so much running/training you can do for a running event. And the McNair runners definitely do not train more than that - I know their woman's team coach. As for time management, I was busy a he// but managed my time very well.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, at a recent Open House at Prep, I think they were saying they moved a lot of the clubs to a mid-day period, so that students wouldn?t have to choose between teams and clubs, etc.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
That was the norm for all public high schools when I ran x-cross country (fall) and track (winter & spring) in public school many years ago. Those who ran did just that sports activity. However, it did not stop me from participating in other school activities, year-round part-time work, nor competing in running road race events.

How? When? Most other school activities are in the afternoon. My kids were already taking off one day a week for Synagogue activities and often missing Saturdays for family activities. Taking off more practices would lose them the interest of the coach as "not being serious".

Posted on: 2018/1/30 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
I don't follow. Saturdays are all locked up with track & cross country meets ....

Here's there's often weekday meets. But you didn't answer my question about time management.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't follow. Saturdays are all locked up with track & cross country meets ....

Posted on: 2018/1/30 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
That was the norm for all public high schools when I ran x-cross country (fall) and track (winter & spring) in public school many years ago. Those who ran did just that sports activity. However, it did not stop me from participating in other school activities, year-round part-time work, nor competing in running road race events.

How? When? Most other school activities are in the afternoon. My kids were already taking off one day a week for Synagogue activities and often missing Saturdays for family activities. Taking off more practices would lose them the interest of the coach as "not being serious".

Posted on: 2018/1/30 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
I can't speak for Prep, but at McNair, where track is arguably their most high profile sport, the Varsity level '3 season' kids are expected to train 6 day a week, 11 months a year. Practice every day till at least 6 does not allow participation in other school activities.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecinjc wrote:
It?s not that Lccs is not diverse, it just has an overwhelming more white and Asian students than the public schools do.

Overwhelming, is that so? As a former LCCS parent, your assertion is factually incorrect. The student demographics are fairly close to the overall demographics for jersey city. For instance, it is easy enough to look-up, even prior to posting here (!):
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/lea ... ty-charter-school-profile

BTW, I did not read past the 1st sentence of your post due to the lack of credibility.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
most varsity sports have a few months of a season

I can't speak for Prep, but at McNair, where track is arguably their most high profile sport, the Varsity level '3 season' kids are expected to train 6 day a week, 11 months a year. Practice every day till at least 6 does not allow participation in other school activities.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
As a graduate of Prep, and a non-athlete, as well as a person who rarely watches sports, I disagree in part.

An over-emphasis on sports and winning can be bad for kids, and take up too much of their time.

But, most varsity sports have a few months of a season, and it is up to parents to monitor their kids performance in other areas. Many of my friends and classmates who were on teams also were well represented in other clubs and activities, as well as community service. There were also a good number of them in the top ten percent of the graduating class.

Aside from that, Prep has no athlete track with easier courses. The athletes sink or swim on their merits.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
T-Bird wrote:

Actually, that was based on anecdotes, like upper classmen stuffing freshman into the overhead luggage racks on the trains from the burbs.

Absolute bullshit. You?re usually a bit more discerning than resorting to salacious (and likely self-serving) gossip. You seem to have a sports-phobia that colors your judgment.

No phobia, just no philia. My kids are great runners, and I'm proud of them, but I don't think sports deserve their prominence in our education system. The time demands of serious varsity sports are pretty appalling, leaving little time for any other personal growth activities or even school clubs. Especially at a school like McNair with heavy academic demands.

Sorry to offend you with my comments, it just wasn't the place for my son, he never had any regrets about passing it up.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
T-Bird wrote:

Actually, that was based on anecdotes, like upper classmen stuffing freshman into the overhead luggage racks on the trains from the burbs.

Absolute bullshit. You?re usually a bit more discerning than resorting to salacious (and likely self-serving) gossip. You seem to have a sports-phobia that colors your judgment.

Posted on: 2018/1/30 5:31

Re: St. Peter's Prep
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
Academics and athletics aside, as someone who lived many years around the corner of St. Peter's Prep, and know of quite a few of its alumni, what stands out most to me is that they enter the school as a boys and leave 4 years later as gentlemen. The character building is a definite plus xfactor.

We were told that and have no doubt it's true for many. I do hope some of the kids we knew who went there came out gentlemen, it would be vast improvement.

My son entered and left HS a gentleman. I'd like take full credit but I can't, his mother, Synagogue and Scouts share most of it. The paths to maturity are many.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 18:39

St. Peter's Prep
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Academics and athletics aside, as someone who lived many years around the corner of St. Peter's Prep, and know of quite a few of its alumni, what stands out most to me is that they enter the school as a boys and leave 4 years later as gentlemen. The character building is a definite plus xfactor.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
[quote]
Your use of ?meathead? sums up how little you actually know about the place. C?est la vie.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

T-Bird, glad to hear your kid is doing well, and I'm sure a gifted kid will learn in any decent environment, but IMO what makes a great school is more the students than the teachers or facilities. My son was simply not impressed with the number of suburban meatheads at Prep to play sports, nor by the kids he knew selecting to go there. Sure, there are kids there on academic scholarships, some minority, but between LCCS and McNair, the diversity my kids have experienced is on another level.

Your use of ?meathead? sums up how little you actually know about the place. C?est la vie.

Posted on: 2018/1/28 6:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017