Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Violation - On Street Resident Only Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
DMV has nothing to do with traffic court.

That said, not that I'm a regular at court but had my first experience there just this past spring and it was fast (maybe an hour of watching others plead their case), unexpectedly interesting, easily accessible by JSQ PATH, and the judge was top notch. I guess YMMV.

I have done it twice before, and my experience was a mixed bag. I didn't particularly care for sitting through a bunch of obviously ridiculous explanations, but it did go fast on both occasions. The first time the judge ruled against me, even though the ticket was wrongly issue by their own standards (parked over 2 hours in a zoned, 2hr-limit parking area, but the time elapsed between first and second observation was clearly less than two hours, as per the ticket) and the second time they ruled in my favor (PEO was ticketing me despite my vehicle being properly permitted, but he "missed" the permit).

Recently got a bogus ticket, but opted against contesting it because if you lose in court (and there is a good chance you will) then you are also assessed court fees, which are $34. So, instead of making your loss even worse, it is sometimes best to just pay the $54 ticket and move on.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
DMV has nothing to do with traffic court.

That said, not that I'm a regular at court but had my first experience there just this past spring and it was fast (maybe an hour of watching others plead their case), unexpectedly interesting, easily accessible by JSQ PATH, and the judge was top notch. I guess YMMV.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Dealing with DMV is never easy and never fun. You learned an expensive lesson. Up to you on going to court but it could easily take 4 hours of sitting on a hard bench and not allowed to use a computer, etc while you listen to one sob story after the next. Ask yourself it that's worth $50 (plus parking if you'd be driving since on-street is mostly metered around the courthouse).

Posted on: 2017/7/26 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Depending on the judge you'd likely get mercy and the reduced $60 ticket. I wouldn't even bother asking for it to be entirely dismissed since you were at fault.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 16:09

Violation - On Street Resident Only Parking

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/13 3:00
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So I'd, unknowingly, parked on Essex St on a Friday evening after 9 PM for an hour - only to return to it with a traffic ticket (for $60) for parking in "resident only" zone.
Begrudgingly, I went to NJMCdirect to pay the ticket today and I see that it is showing ticket as $110!!!
I tried to argue with Municipal court on the phone but they informed with that inspectors were handing out old tickets and the fine stands at $110.
So I'm wondering-
1) Should I go to court to argue against paying $110 and try to settle at $60? Is it worth it?
2) What's up with doubling the violation amount? I couldn't find any information online about this. Has the amount been doubled for all violations?

I'd appreciate any insight!

Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/7/26 16:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017