Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Illegal parking on Newark, the message is anything goes in JC!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Once you fall on your head on concrete, all bets are off. Yes, Mikey - people ride much faster than the pace of a walk. I honest to god had someone ride by me on a small motorcycle a few weeks ago. On a sidewalk. And not one of the motorized bicycles that you see everywhere now (I see those on the sidewalk on Grand, frequently). Here are three bike/pedestrian fatalities that happened on sidewalks and another very serious accident:

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/B ... -collision-378529325.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/ ... k_crash_with_cyclist.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/t ... pedestrian/article593648/

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article2622804.html

Posted on: 2017/7/11 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I saw an older woman knocked backwards and hit her head -- when people exit stores speeding bikes often almost hit them. If you still doubt this -- just stand on Newark at evening rush hour - you won't need to wait long.

Posted on: 2017/7/11 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
I constantly see the police blaring away to get cars away from there, and writing tickets to those that don't move. They turn the corner and three new cars roll up. At least they attempt to do something there.

It is true - cops do move cars - but I really do think there needs to be a real crackdown on bikes on the sidewalk - someone is going to get killed one of these days.

I would be fine with all of Newark Ave being made into a "One Way" street in a westward direction (at least to Brunswick) -
and maybe add an extra wide bike lane & diagonal parking spaces for cars.

really? Killed?
How fast are these rogue cyclists going on the sidewalk?

Actually pretty quick, enough to knock someone down to the ground, especially a senior citizen exiting a store stepping onto the sidewalk. Look both ways before you cross the threshold.

I have seen people knocked to the ground coming out of stores on Newark Avenue. There have recently been deaths in NYC, Washington DC, San Francisco, London and many other cities. See for yourself - click links to read articles.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-de ... r-pedestrian-central-park

http://dcist.com/2017/04/bicyclist_charged_for_editor.php

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/B ... tal-S-F-crash-4736312.php

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/20 ... e-pedestrian-death-london

Sure, people can get killed by a bike, but these are all in the street or roadway. The bike in central park was likely going closer to 35+ (yes, still faster than the posted speed limit) in the road.

So how many cyclists do you see going faster than 5 mph on sidewalks here? Don't get me wrong, I think adults riding on busy sidewalks here look asinine but that's besides my point.

Posted on: 2017/7/11 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
I constantly see the police blaring away to get cars away from there, and writing tickets to those that don't move. They turn the corner and three new cars roll up. At least they attempt to do something there.

It is true - cops do move cars - but I really do think there needs to be a real crackdown on bikes on the sidewalk - someone is going to get killed one of these days.

I would be fine with all of Newark Ave being made into a "One Way" street in a westward direction (at least to Brunswick) -

really? Killed?

Actually pretty quick, enough to knock someone down to the ground, especially a senior citizen exiting a store stepping onto the sidewalk. Look both ways before you cross the threshold.

I have seen people knocked to the ground coming out of stores on Newark Avenue. There have recently been deaths in NYC, Washington DC, San Francisco, London and many other cities. See for yourself - click links to read articles.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-de ... r-pedestrian-central-park

http://dcist.com/2017/04/bicyclist_charged_for_editor.php

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/B ... tal-S-F-crash-4736312.php

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/20 ... e-pedestrian-death-london

Posted on: 2017/7/11 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Cops do move the cars out of the way, but for whatever reason, the entitlement attitude prevails here. The rules just don't apply to those drivers, of course! Didn't you know?

I wonder if there is some way to include the stores in this effort. It's not hard to see that the illegal parkers are patrons of just a few of the stores.

In the meantime, a few a-holes continue to impact the rest of us.

Well include Vinnie's Pizza on Kennedy in the Heights. The delivery driver parks on Kennedy in the bus stop off the corner making it hard for cars and bike to turn onto Kennedy from Lincoln. It forces us to turn onto the left lane and conflict with on coming traffic from Kennedy and Lincoln.

Posted on: 2017/7/10 20:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

bustjc wrote:

really? Killed?

Posted on: 2017/7/10 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

bustjc wrote:

really? Killed?

Posted on: 2017/7/10 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Cops do move the cars out of the way, but for whatever reason, the entitlement attitude prevails here. The rules just don't apply to those drivers, of course! Didn't you know?

I wonder if there is some way to include the stores in this effort. It's not hard to see that the illegal parkers are patrons of just a few of the stores.

In the meantime, a few a-holes continue to impact the rest of us.

Posted on: 2017/7/10 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:

Posted on: 2017/7/10 18:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/7/10 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Walk across a red hand signal to allow left turn green arrows? Happens all the time, screwing up traffic flow.

Just once I'd like to see a cop at 4th and Marin (Shoprite exit) handing out tickets to jaywalkers stealing the brief turn light. Nothing really to be done about the moron drivers who think the car turning ahead of them needs to be completely through the intersection before they move.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Pedestrians and many bike riders also ignore established rules and common sense as well. Walk across a red hand signal to allow left turn green arrows? Happens all the time, screwing up traffic flow. Walking in front of traffic? Ever drive by a JC school at start or dismiss time?

Everyone acts entitled.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Will summonses do? After a warning, since that particular stuff seems more a plague of ignorance than malice. If elected I'd post signs informing riders of the law. Of course there'll always be idiots, I rolled down my window to tell the moron riding on the side opposite the bike lane that he was causing a hazard. Of course he told me to fuck myself.

Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
If you throw in a plan to lock up adults riding bikes on sidewalks, I'd vote for you for mayor.

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Me too. The car culture in JC is "anything goes" because they know there's simply no enforcement. Use a turn lane to skip all that traffic going straight? No problem. Right on red forcing the oncoming car to screech it's brakes? No problem. Ignoring stop signs? You know the answer.

And those are all the moving violations that you need actual expensive cops for. Parking flunkies are cheap by comparison, they "should" be able to shower the city with cash, but this being JC, somehow the JCPA struggles, with spotty enforcement that only reinforces the sense of lawlessness.

I could easily solve the whole illegal parking thing in JC. Give a parking flunky a smartphone and train them to photograph the car in a way leaving no doubt of the location and that they're stopped. Pic are instantly transmitted to an office worker who verifies the legitimacy of the infraction using geotagging and timestamp, and boom, out goes a ticket like the red light cams did. Too close to corner, in the lane at Newark, in a bike lane, double parked? Done.

Even better, how about an app for citizens to take the pics. Big brotherish? Sure. But we need relief from the inconsiderate pricks.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
If you throw in a plan to lock up adults riding bikes on sidewalks, I'd vote for you for mayor.

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Me too. The car culture in JC is "anything goes" because they know there's simply no enforcement. Use a turn lane to skip all that traffic going straight? No problem. Right on red forcing the oncoming car to screech it's brakes? No problem. Ignoring stop signs? You know the answer.

And those are all the moving violations that you need actual expensive cops for. Parking flunkies are cheap by comparison, they "should" be able to shower the city with cash, but this being JC, somehow the JCPA struggles, with spotty enforcement that only reinforces the sense of lawlessness.

I could easily solve the whole illegal parking thing in JC. Give a parking flunky a smartphone and train them to photograph the car in a way leaving no doubt of the location and that they're stopped. Pic are instantly transmitted to an office worker who verifies the legitimacy of the infraction using geotagging and timestamp, and boom, out goes a ticket like the red light cams did. Too close to corner, in the lane at Newark, in a bike lane, double parked? Done.

Even better, how about an app for citizens to take the pics. Big brotherish? Sure. But we need relief from the inconsiderate pricks.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The next time I see a cop writing a ticket to a car in the bike lane (or double parked at all) will be the first time.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The next time I see a cop writing a ticket to a car in the bike lane (or double parked at all) will be the first time.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would go one step better, one-way with parking on only one side and use the other side for a bicycle lane.

Yes, of course, because the cars that ignore the "no parking or standing" will totally respect a bike lane.

Revenue for the city, plus if something occurs due to the car being parked in the bike lane I'm sure once it becomes litigious and a financial detriment to the driver it will cure the parking problem.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would go one step better, one-way with parking on only one side and use the other side for a bicycle lane.

Yes, of course, because the cars that ignore the "no parking or standing" will totally respect a bike lane.

Posted on: 2017/7/8 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
This is just ridiculous, Newark here is reduced to one lane for 2 way traffic. It's bad enough for cars, but life threatening if you're trying to bike here with the cars swerving into oncoming traffic both ways. The should just give in and make it one way here with parking both sides.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/7/7 20:29

Illegal parking on Newark, the message is anything goes in JC!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
This is just ridiculous, Newark here is reduced to one lane for 2 way traffic. It's bad enough for cars, but life threatening if you're trying to bike here with the cars swerving into oncoming traffic both ways. The should just give in and make it one way here with parking both sides.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/7/7 19:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017