Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: ADOPTED RESCUE MASTIFF DOG ATTACKS, KILLS ELDERLY WOMAN IN QUEENS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So is your point that it only took one Mastiff to kill an adult, as opposed to two pit bulls to kill a child or what?

In any event, dogs can kill. My two Mastiff breed dogs can easily kill pretty much anyone without a weapon. Guess how many break ins I've had? Guess how nervous these news stories make me?

You guys just aren't too bright with this stuff. Therefore, you probably shouldn't be getting large, powerful dogs.

Posted on: 2017/2/18 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/b ... yc-home-article-1.2975850

Boy, 5, critically wounded after two pit bulls attacked him inside Brooklyn home: 'All of his left face was gone'

Jeremiah Riveria, 5, was attacked by pit bulls in his home on Riverdale Ave. in Brooklyn.

KERRY BURKE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, February 18, 2017

A 5-year-old Brooklyn boy savagely mauled by at least one of his family?s pit bulls was in critical condition Friday night, authorities and relatives said.

The child, identified by neighbors as Jeremiah Rivera, was inside his home on Riverdale Ave. near Georgia Ave. in East New York when he was attacked at about 6:45 p.m., officials said.

?I did the best I could to help that baby. I ran in there. It was so horrific. The baby was lying on the floor in a pool of blood and body matter,? witness Lloyd McCammon told the Daily News.

?All of his left face was gone. He couldn?t breathe. I pressed a towel to his face but there was nothing left,? McCammon, 39, said.

Jeremiah was fighting for his life in the intensive care unit at Long Island Jewish Hospital Friday night, where his uncle said he was waiting for surgery.

?The only thing that?s saving him is a tube in his throat that?s stopping blood from going into his lungs,? the uncle said.

Medics had first rushed the boy to Brookdale University Hospital, but he was later transferred, police said.

The boy lived in a first floor apartment with his father, Joel Rivera, mother, two brothers and baby sister, neighbors said.

After the attack, Jeremiah?s father, ran out of the house screaming ?Oh God!? witnesses said.

He then sprinted after medics as they wheeled away his wounded son. He collapsed on the sidewalk after first responders pulled him away from a waiting ambulance.

Neighbors said Jeremiah?s father had taken him on a walk with the two dogs just days earlier.

?I told him to be careful with the dogs,? said McCammon, who lives across the street.

Another neighbor said he did not know the pit bulls to be violent.

?I?ve never seen the dogs jump with anybody. They were good dogs. They don?t even bark,? said Tarell Williams, 40, who owns a pit bull himself.

He said Jeremiah was famous in the neighborhood for the smile he nearly always had on his face.

?It?s sad. I?ve known Jeremiah since he was in Pampers,? Williams said. ?My wife calls him her little boyfriend.?

The child?s family had kept the dogs inside cages in the apartment?s kitchen, a cop source said.

Animal Care and Control took custody of both dogs and moved them to a site in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2017/2/18 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So remember how recently a bunch of people were ranting about banning pit bulls and I noted that a TON of dog breeds kill people and that pretty much any large dog can easily kill a person? Here's an example.

Posted on: 2017/2/18 1:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Unless this is the same dog that shits all over downtown JC, I don't see how this post is relevant to our community.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 5:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LONG ISLAND CITY, Queens (WABC) -- An elderly woman from Queens was killed and her son with special needs was mauled by the dog she was planning to turn in.

Louise Herminda, 75, was planning to return the dog, a mastiff, Monday because it was too aggressive and uncontrollable, neighbors said.

...Neighbor John Brien said the same dog attacked a neighbor's dog 10 days ago while being walked on a leash. He said the mastiff went after a small terrier and wouldn't let go.

"He just pounced on it and started chewing it like a rag doll," Brien said. "It started ripping it to bits. We tried to jump in, the owner of the white dog got bit on the hand."

Herminda's next-door neighbor, Rosa Ortiz, said that attack was what led Herminda to decide to get rid of the dog...

Quote:

sullyx wrote:
it was reported elsewhere yesterday that they planned on returning the dog to the shelter due to aggression issues on Monday- awful timing

Posted on: 2017/2/16 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
At least it wasn't some neighbor or passer-by getting attacked - I'm sure the son will say it was a gentle giant of a dog, well cared for and trained ... My mother was a caring and nurturing dog lover ... I suspect we won't hear a story that the person provoked it or did something to cause the attack and death ... Let's hope the shelter isn't somehow wrangled in for a law suit because the dog shouldn't have been adopted out !

it was reported elsewhere yesterday that they planned on returning the dog to the shelter due to aggression issues on Monday- awful timing

Posted on: 2017/2/15 20:16
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
At least it wasn't some neighbor or passer-by getting attacked - I'm sure the son will say it was a gentle giant of a dog, well cared for and trained ... My mother was a caring and nurturing dog lover ... I suspect we won't hear a story that the person provoked it or did something to cause the attack and death ... Let's hope the shelter isn't somehow wrangled in for a law suit because the dog shouldn't have been adopted out !

Posted on: 2017/2/15 17:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought this was going to be a follow-up to the "Jumba" saga!

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16015

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/2/15 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/14 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Queens Woman, 75, Dies After Being Bitten by Her Dog

By JOHN SURICO
FEB. 13, 2017
New York Times

The house in Long Island City, Queens, where Louise Hermida, 75, was fatally attacked by one of her dogs early on Monday. Credit Brian Harkin for The New York Times
For as long as her neighbors in Long Island City, Queens, could recall, Louise Hermida was surrounded by dogs.

Ms. Hermida, 75, and two sons were often seen walking packs of dogs in the neighborhood, and she kept several at her home on 27th Street, Rosa Ortiz, a neighbor, said.

Ms. Ortiz said that none of the dogs had ever caused a problem, until two weeks ago when a large mastiff bit a dog from across the street.

Still, Ms. Ortiz, 36, said she was surprised by a panicked visit from Ms. Hermida?s son shortly after midnight on Monday.

The son, who lived with Ms. Hermida, said that her dog had bitten her and that she needed help, Ms. Ortiz said.

Ms. Ortiz said she called 911, then waited outside her neighbor?s two-story house until an ambulance arrived.

She and emergency personnel found Ms. Hermida in the basement, bloodied, with bite marks all over her torso and arms, Ms. Ortiz said.

?I almost fainted when I saw her,? she said.

When police officers arrived at 12:58 a.m., Ms. Hermida was unresponsive, and was taken to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead at 6 a.m. Monday, the police said.

The dog had been penned in a back room in the basement by Ms. Hermida?s son, whom it had bitten on the leg, Ms. Ortiz said. He was treated for wounds that were not life-threatening, the police said.

Ms. Ortiz said most of the dogs Ms. Hermida had were small breeds that had been adopted from a local shelter.

Animal Care Centers of NYC said by email on Monday afternoon that the mastiff was adopted almost six years ago when it was about a year old. The organization confirmed that the dog was at its Manhattan Care Center but declined to ?comment further because of the legal nature of the case.?

The dog was known on the block for its aggression, neighbors said.

?I always tried to keep my distance,? Luis Tejada, 52, said. ?I have a Pomeranian Shih Tzu, and I didn?t want to go near it.?

Mr. Tejada, who has lived in this quiet section of Long Island City since the early 1970s, said Ms. Hermida had lived in the house for more than 30 years, and owned dogs for as long as he could remember.

Ms. Hermida had retired after working at a research facility in Manhattan, a neighbor said.

Ms. Ortiz said she had known Ms. Hermida, whom she called Ms. Louise, for five years.

?She didn?t talk to many people, but she talked to me,? Ms. Ortiz said. ?I told her everything that was going on in my life. She was my friend.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/nyr ... tten-by-her-dog.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2017/2/14 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Owner fail

Posted on: 2017/2/14 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
LONG ISLAND CITY, Queens (WABC) -- An elderly woman from Queens was killed and her son with special needs was mauled by the dog she was planning to turn in.

The incident happened just after midnight Monday at their home on 27th Street near 38th Avenue in Long Island City.

Louise Herminda, 75, was planning to return the dog, a mastiff, Monday because it was too aggressive and uncontrollable, neighbors said. But she apparently waited too long.

The dog attacked Herminda, causing what police described as trauma to her upper torso area. She was pronounced dead at New York Presbyterian Hospital at around 6 a.m.

Herminda's 39-year-old son, who has autism, was also mauled in the attack. He suffered non-life threatening injuries to his lower-left leg.

Neighbor John Brien said the same dog attacked a neighbor's dog 10 days ago while being walked on a leash. He said the mastiff went after a small terrier and wouldn't let go.

"He just pounced on it and started chewing it like a rag doll," Brien said. "It started ripping it to bits. We tried to jump in, the owner of the white dog got bit on the hand."

Herminda's next-door neighbor, Rosa Ortiz, said that attack was what led Herminda to decide to get rid of the dog.

She said she was the first one to get to the house after the attack, and described the scene as horrifying.

"When I saw her there, it broke my heart," Ortiz said. "She was all bloodied. Her head, her arms. It was really bad. It was a tragedy."

The dog was sedated by NYPD ESU officers and is now in the custody of Animal Care and Control of New York City.

Animal Care and Control said the dog was adopted from them almost 6 years ago when it was about 1-year-old at the time. The dog is currently at ACC's Manhattan Care Center.

Neighbors said the mastiff was one of up to 10 dogs living in the basement of the home.

"When you put a large group of dogs together they have to be watched very carefully to make sure they aren't attacking one another and they really need to be under proper supervision," said Jean Shafiroff, an animal advocate and ambassador with the American Humane Society.

http://abc7ny.com/news/aggressive-dog ... -woman-in-queens/1752073/
soryy to hear about the death...but 10 dogs living in the basement? wth?

Posted on: 2017/2/14 0:13

ADOPTED RESCUE MASTIFF DOG ATTACKS, KILLS ELDERLY WOMAN IN QUEENS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

The incident happened just after midnight Monday at their home on 27th Street near 38th Avenue in Long Island City.

Louise Herminda, 75, was planning to return the dog, a mastiff, Monday because it was too aggressive and uncontrollable, neighbors said. But she apparently waited too long.

The dog attacked Herminda, causing what police described as trauma to her upper torso area. She was pronounced dead at New York Presbyterian Hospital at around 6 a.m.

Herminda's 39-year-old son, who has autism, was also mauled in the attack. He suffered non-life threatening injuries to his lower-left leg.

Neighbor John Brien said the same dog attacked a neighbor's dog 10 days ago while being walked on a leash. He said the mastiff went after a small terrier and wouldn't let go.

Herminda's next-door neighbor, Rosa Ortiz, said that attack was what led Herminda to decide to get rid of the dog.

She said she was the first one to get to the house after the attack, and described the scene as horrifying.

"When I saw her there, it broke my heart," Ortiz said. "She was all bloodied. Her head, her arms. It was really bad. It was a tragedy."

The dog was sedated by NYPD ESU officers and is now in the custody of Animal Care and Control of New York City.

Animal Care and Control said the dog was adopted from them almost 6 years ago when it was about 1-year-old at the time. The dog is currently at ACC's Manhattan Care Center.

Neighbors said the mastiff was one of up to 10 dogs living in the basement of the home.

"When you put a large group of dogs together they have to be watched very carefully to make sure they aren't attacking one another and they really need to be under proper supervision," said Jean Shafiroff, an animal advocate and ambassador with the American Humane Society.

http://abc7ny.com/news/aggressive-dog ... -woman-in-queens/1752073/

Posted on: 2017/2/13 23:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017