Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: One of those sightseeing planes crashed in Bayonne today.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
NEW YORK, NY ? The NYPD is alerting residents to a training exercise involving military helicopters that will be conducted on Saturday.

A flight of 10 military helicopters will fly over the Verrazano Bridge, the Hudson River, the Harlem River, the East River and the Statue of Liberty at an altitude of 500-1000 feet. The training will occur between 1-3 p.m. on Saturday.

The training will take place once again on Tuesday between 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Posted on: 2017/3/11 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Pilot says he lost power before crashing on Bayonne street: NTSB

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on March 02, 2017 at 7:20 AM

BAYONNE -- The 56-year-old pilot whose plane crashed on Avenue E last month reported losing power to his aircraft before plummeting to ground, according to a new report released by the National Transportation Safety Board.

George Pettway, of Long Island, was the only person injured in the Feb. 19 crash near 41st Street. He was released from the Jersey City Medical Center yesterday, a hospital spokesperson said.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _he_lost_power_befor.html

Posted on: 2017/3/2 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The industry will be under increased pressure if the number of over-residential home flights continue to grow. Why the FAA isn't leaning harder on the helo industry to use quieter equipment is beyond me.

NYC was aggressive in the Giuliani years and shut down one upper east side heliport and moved all the tourist flights to the downtown helipad (good for midtown not good for JC).

Sadly Fulop rubber stamped DiBlasio's embarrassing giveaway deal to the heli-tourism operators last year. That deal has done basically nothing to quiet down the Hudson corridor and further entrenched an industry that reduces residents' quality of life and home values.

Until JC stands up for itself we will continue to get a lotta flyovers...

Posted on: 2017/3/2 15:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Jolly - what are the routes helicopters are supposed to use when going from Kearny to the NYC helipads? My understanding is they are supposed to go over 139 and 14th Street/Holland Tunnel which is why that Target and Acme get a ton of low flying overheads.

Yet down in the Van Vorst area we get double digits flights overhead daily. Some are higher than others. The number of flights has gotten steadily worse over the past decade.

Would be nice if the industry made a bigger push for quieter equipment...

I'm also in VVP area and I agree with the increase in traffic. Been here for decades. As a former fixed-wing pilot I know it's pretty difficult to gauge altitude from the air or the ground but my call would be circa 500' with the occasional lower ones. And they are loud...

Kearny probably isn't the source/destination of these flights. My bet is they're mostly from Linden Airport (farther South). I fly in/out of Linden a few times a year and there are a whole bunch of news and tourist copters based there. VVP is pretty much in a straight line from there to NYC. Watch them flying and you'll see they're mostly heading SW or NE.

Most flights coming over JC probably are from Linden (if small) or further west coming over Newark. The few times I flew out of Linden I'd fly to the west side of Newark airport then turn east directly over the airport then into the city. Direct from Linden to NYC would conflict with a lot of EWR traffic so unlikely.
I'd also say 500 feet over downtown would be unusual (I live downtown so I see then). Generally we are kept at 1k over EWR then descend as we reach the river just west of the statue. Not saying they never go lower but would be unusual.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 12:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Jolly - what are the routes helicopters are supposed to use when going from Kearny to the NYC helipads? My understanding is they are supposed to go over 139 and 14th Street/Holland Tunnel which is why that Target and Acme get a ton of low flying overheads.

Yet down in the Van Vorst area we get double digits flights overhead daily. Some are higher than others. The number of flights has gotten steadily worse over the past decade.

I'm not sure of the route from Kearny, never gone there, but that route makes sense. Any time anyone is in that area or closer to Newark they are talking to Newark tower. As far as coming over downtown, they are probably coming in over Newark and heading to 30th street. The route from Newark is supposed to follow over the turnpike etension then just north of the statue of liberty but newark often clears direct which would take you over JC.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This past Sunday, a sightseeing helicopter flew above my building with about 2 to 3 feet from the building's roof line. Why do politicians talk about safety after an accident but not before?

The problem is that you have no credibility and make unsubstantiated claims constantly.
Prove this.
Do you think people are against you when 90+% of this board disagree with everything you say or maybe you are just full of it?

What does credibility has to do with anything? You are too lazy to come to the Journal Square area to see for yourself. Get off your duff and go to different parts of Jersey City.

It's everything and you have none and that's the point. If pretty much anyone else here said the same thing you did I'd believe them but the fact that you say so many things are are BS that is what I call.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This past Sunday, a sightseeing helicopter flew above my building with about 2 to 3 feet from the building's roof line. Why do politicians talk about safety after an accident but not before?

The problem is that you have no credibility and make unsubstantiated claims constantly.
Prove this.
Do you think people are against you when 90+% of this board disagree with everything you say or maybe you are just full of it?

What does credibility has to do with anything? You are too lazy to come to the Journal Square area to see for yourself. Get off your duff and go to different parts of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Prove this.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

I'm also in VVP area and I agree with the increase in traffic. Been here for decades. As a former fixed-wing pilot I know it's pretty difficult to gauge altitude from the air or the ground but my call would be circa 500' with the occasional lower ones. And they are loud...

Kearny probably isn't the source/destination of these flights. My bet is they're mostly from Linden Airport (farther South). I fly in/out of Linden a few times a year and there are a whole bunch of news and tourist copters based there. VVP is pretty much in a straight line from there to NYC. Watch them flying and you'll see they're mostly heading SW or NE.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jolly13 wrote:
Yvonne, the whole point is you can't tell how high they are from the ground. Though now that you switched to Liberty State Park I would guess they are lower there (assuming you mean sight seeing helicopters). They descend to about 500 feet to circle the statue of liberty. As far as getting away from my keyboard, shall we compare who has more hours logged in helicopters?

St. John's condo are approximately 20 stories, helicopters passes them around the 10th floor. So, yes, I can tell how high they fly. The people in those buildings look down to see helicopters. The buildings near St. John are even lower and the helicopters buzzes over their roofs.

Posted on: 2017/3/2 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/2 1:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, the whole point is you can't tell how high they are from the ground. Though now that you switched to Liberty State Park I would guess they are lower there (assuming you mean sight seeing helicopters). They descend to about 500 feet to circle the statue of liberty. As far as getting away from my keyboard, shall we compare who has more hours logged in helicopters?

Posted on: 2017/3/1 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

Jolly13 wrote:
The 1000 foot rule doesn't apply to helicopters. But, it is not the wild west. There are prescribed routes in and out of the NYC area. Unless over the Hudson below certain altitudes (varies by location), helicopters will be in touch with ATC (approach control or local towers), in radar contact with a discrete transponder code. If they are breaking rules it will be known. As far as the 2-3 feet above a building, if that is to mean actually above the building itself, not offset, that is crazy hard to do at speed. People ALWAYS greatly underestimate the height of helicopters. If you think you can judge the height from just looking you are wrong.

Here's the Federal Aviation Regulation:

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_91-119.html

As for Yvonne, and her making stuff up, and insisting she's right and everybody else is wrong, well, I'd say this advice is worth keeping in mind:

?Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.?

? George Carlin

Helicopters move fast, so the idea I can get a picture is ridiculous. However, go to Liberty State Park and you can see them flying low over buildings. This means of course, you have to leave your keyboard and venture out of your apartment.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jolly13 wrote:
The 1000 foot rule doesn't apply to helicopters. But, it is not the wild west. There are prescribed routes in and out of the NYC area. Unless over the Hudson below certain altitudes (varies by location), helicopters will be in touch with ATC (approach control or local towers), in radar contact with a discrete transponder code. If they are breaking rules it will be known. As far as the 2-3 feet above a building, if that is to mean actually above the building itself, not offset, that is crazy hard to do at speed. People ALWAYS greatly underestimate the height of helicopters. If you think you can judge the height from just looking you are wrong.

Here's the Federal Aviation Regulation:

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_91-119.html

As for Yvonne, and her making stuff up, and insisting she's right and everybody else is wrong, well, I'd say this advice is worth keeping in mind:

?Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.?

? George Carlin

Posted on: 2017/3/1 20:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/1 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am in Journal Square near the flight path, I have seen helicopters fly near St. John's complex, the courthouse, etc. Get out from your world and travel to different parts of JC before you comment. These helicopters are low.

I challenge you to prove the helicopters are flying within three feet of any building in that area. You made the claim, now show us your proof.

Come to Journal Square and you will see them, I have seen them fly pass the 10th floor at St. John. Those buildings probably have 20 floors. Ask the people who live there if helicopters buzz pass them?

I see... as usual, NO PROOF.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am in Journal Square near the flight path, I have seen helicopters fly near St. John's complex, the courthouse, etc. Get out from your world and travel to different parts of JC before you comment. These helicopters are low.

I challenge you to prove the helicopters are flying within three feet of any building in that area. You made the claim, now show us your proof.

Come to Journal Square and you will see them, I have seen them fly pass the 10th floor at St. John. Those buildings probably have 20 floors. Ask the people who live there if helicopters buzz pass them?

Posted on: 2017/3/1 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2017/3/1 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/3/1 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Ha - the FAA has very few rules for helicopters and good luck getting them to enforce anything. They leave it up to the Pilot in Command. Go spend half hour in front of the Acme or Target and tell me you don't see choppers regularly flying well under 1000 feet.

It's the wild west in the sky when it comes to helicopters and unfortunately JC is right on the flight path between the Kearny helipad where most go overnight and the NYC helipads.

Enforcement may be lacking, but even you must admit that Yvonne's claim is far fetched: there is no way a helicopter grazed her building within two or three feet.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ha - the FAA has very few rules for helicopters and good luck getting them to enforce anything. They leave it up to the Pilot in Command. Go spend half hour in front of the Acme or Target and tell me you don't see choppers regularly flying well under 1000 feet.

It's the wild west in the sky when it comes to helicopters and unfortunately JC is right on the flight path between the Kearny helipad where most go overnight and the NYC helipads.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I also call shenanigans.

Minimum altitude in an area like this is 1000' above the tallest object in a 2000' radius.

If a helicopter was buzzing a residential neighborhood, even Newport: Aside from violating FAA regs, police would have been called by dozens of residents. Heck, these days it'd be caught on a half dozen cell phones. E.g.:
http://abc13.com/news/what-was-that-l ... per-over-houston/1728987/

Posted on: 2017/2/28 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You made a similar claim some years ago. I call BS on this. The only time a helicopter would fly within two or three feet of a surface would be then landing on it. The human eye is extremely unreliable when it comes to measuring distances, particularly at far enough distances, or at certain angles.

If you do not witness something, then it is B.S? The world revolves around you? You are wrong.

Unfortunately Yvonne, you do have a reputation (in my mind) of a sensationalized view on many topics and claims. Next time you see a helicopter hovering 2-3 feet from your building or any building, take a photo to re establish some credibility and in turn, you'll have evidence to your claim and complaint - I'd assume that the down force winds generated by the helicopter within 2-3 feet from your home would cause some damage to your roofing, trees and scatter loose items / bins all over the place!
I've been in helicopters and the down force winds are strong and would cause damage to residential buildings being so close ... especially roof shingles

Posted on: 2017/2/28 21:43
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You made a similar claim some years ago. I call BS on this. The only time a helicopter would fly within two or three feet of a surface would be then landing on it. The human eye is extremely unreliable when it comes to measuring distances, particularly at far enough distances, or at certain angles.

If you do not witness something, then it is B.S? The world revolves around you? You are wrong.

Posted on: 2017/2/28 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/28/ ... rleading-competition.html

Three people died and two others were hurt after a small plane carrying them home from a cheerleading competition crashed into two Southern California homes and sparked a major fire Monday, investigators said.

BAN SUVs! They are a menace to society and too many people die because of them.

http://abcn.ws/2l8p5fM

Posted on: 2017/2/28 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2017/2/28 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/28 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Three people died and two others were hurt after a small plane carrying them home from a cheerleading competition crashed into two Southern California homes and sparked a major fire Monday, investigators said.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. You have an irrational fear of extremely low risk events.

Posted on: 2017/2/28 17:58

Edited by WhoElseCouldIBe on 2017/2/28 18:20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/2/28 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Just last week, Harrison Ford was involved in an incident that nearly became a fatal plane crash.

lol... Would you like some more straws to clutch at?

Ford was flying at an airport when he had a close call. Are you now saying that airports are an unsafe place for airplanes?

No one is buying what you're selling.

Posted on: 2017/2/23 3:52

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017