Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: $540M Hudson County budget to hike taxes in seven towns
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Another excellent article, thanks!

Quote:

The simple method of apportioning county taxes can be distorted by a town giving tax abatements.

The state's PILOT law is terribly designed and gives towns incentives to take advantage of their neighbors in regional school districts, counties, and the state as a whole.

The abuse is enabled by the fact that taxes in regional school districts, counties, and state aid are apportioned by Equalized Valuation, but a property with a tax abatement does not appear as part of a city's official assessment and is therefore "invisible" to the calculation of Equalized Valuation. Since PILOTed properties aren't part of Equalized Valuation, they are "invisible" to the apportionment of taxes for regional school districts, counties, and state aid.

What makes the incentives even stronger is that PILOT payments can be structured so that the municipality gets more money from a property with a PILOT than it would from one under normal taxation. This is because PILOT fees are paid 95% to the municipality and only 5% to the county, with the school system totally cut off.

Montclair has been completely open about how it uses PILOTs as a way of shielding its wealth from Essex County (ie, Newark).

As Montclair's Mayor Robert Jackson explained in 2013, "In a PILOT agreement, 95 percent of the tax revenue comes to the town, not 83 percent. We get more money from that PILOT than we would if they paid taxes."

Montclair's deputy mayor, Robert Russo, chimed in, "That's what I really like about the [PILOT] program. I am not a fan of the county taking money from us. What we're doing is enhancing the township's revenue. No one [in Montclair] is getting hurt."

PILOTing directly benefits a municipality by diverting additional revenue to it (coming at the expense of the county and schools), but it also indirectly benefits a municipality by hiding the ratables from the county. This allows a municipality to hoard its tax base without sharing with the rest of the county.

As annoying as Montclair's PILOTing is and the mayoral bragging about it, Montclair doesn't allow very much new development period, so the overall percentage of Montclair's tax base that is hidden behind PILOTs is small. Even if most of Montclair weren't off-limits to new development, Montclair pays for its school school system with local taxes and if it PILOTed excessively it would be cannibalizing its own school tax base and have a voter rebellion.

Not so for Jersey City. Jersey City should be commended for how accepting it is of new housing, but its schools are paid for by the state and there is no incentive for it not to PILOT virtually everything. Jersey City has thus exploited the PILOT law like no other town in New Jersey to the point where 30% of its valuation is PILOTed. Jersey City's abuse of the PILOT law is so substantial that it was in fact sued by Secaucus, North Bergen, and Bayonne in the late 1990s/early 2000s over not paying for its fair share of county taxes.

I just love that this invalidates Yvonne's arguments about tax abatements. it turns out residents of Jersey City are not losing money to it, we're just screwing over state tax payers with guarantee Abbott funding (for now) and other municipalities in Hudson County that have to bear a larger burden of the county's tax base.

Hoboken and JC really need to lose Abbott status and the other municipalities in Hudson County really need to pressure the tax board to do a reval.

Until then, might as well let the legal pillage continue. Don't hate the player, hate the game. And JC is best at it.

I agree that PILOTs are good for the PILOTing town itself. If I were on a town council I'd find it hard to resist giving PILOTs out even when a building is going up in a hot location. The higher a percentage of my town's taxes go to the county, the more powerful the incentive to PILOT would be.

So, for Hoboken 40% of the tax bill goes to the county, Hoboken can get substantially more money for itself on a PILOTed property than a non-PILOTed property.

For JC the percentage is about 25%, so likewise, its incentive to PILOT is very strong.

Moreover, making a PILOT agreement gives a town more influence over what is built. If a city council wants to get involved in the details of the building, its setbacks, its materiality etc it is a smart idea to PILOT.

Although other taxpayers of a town pay slightly higher county taxes as a result of giving PILOTs out, the benefits are disproportionate to the town since the municipality gets 95% of the PILOT fee and that offsets municipal tax increases. Jersey City taxpayers clearly come out ahead when buildings are PILOTed.

PILOTing itself isn't inherently unfair IMO (like non-profit tax exemptions aren't inherently unfair), it's the uneven distribution of PILOTed buildings between towns. If every town in a county PILOTed equally there wouldn't be any unfairness, but in reality, only hot markets and lukewarm markets can attract development.

East Newark is desperate to see its old factories renovated, but it could offer a $0 PILOT and there still wouldn't be a developer willing to go in. The same goes for a lot of towns and cities across NJ.

I just wish that more Jersey City politicians were honest enough to admit what they are doing to the rest of the county and state.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Another excellent article, thanks!

Quote:

The simple method of apportioning county taxes can be distorted by a town giving tax abatements.

The state's PILOT law is terribly designed and gives towns incentives to take advantage of their neighbors in regional school districts, counties, and the state as a whole.

The abuse is enabled by the fact that taxes in regional school districts, counties, and state aid are apportioned by Equalized Valuation, but a property with a tax abatement does not appear as part of a city's official assessment and is therefore "invisible" to the calculation of Equalized Valuation. Since PILOTed properties aren't part of Equalized Valuation, they are "invisible" to the apportionment of taxes for regional school districts, counties, and state aid.

What makes the incentives even stronger is that PILOT payments can be structured so that the municipality gets more money from a property with a PILOT than it would from one under normal taxation. This is because PILOT fees are paid 95% to the municipality and only 5% to the county, with the school system totally cut off.

Montclair has been completely open about how it uses PILOTs as a way of shielding its wealth from Essex County (ie, Newark).

As Montclair's Mayor Robert Jackson explained in 2013, "In a PILOT agreement, 95 percent of the tax revenue comes to the town, not 83 percent. We get more money from that PILOT than we would if they paid taxes."

Montclair's deputy mayor, Robert Russo, chimed in, "That's what I really like about the [PILOT] program. I am not a fan of the county taking money from us. What we're doing is enhancing the township's revenue. No one [in Montclair] is getting hurt."

PILOTing directly benefits a municipality by diverting additional revenue to it (coming at the expense of the county and schools), but it also indirectly benefits a municipality by hiding the ratables from the county. This allows a municipality to hoard its tax base without sharing with the rest of the county.

As annoying as Montclair's PILOTing is and the mayoral bragging about it, Montclair doesn't allow very much new development period, so the overall percentage of Montclair's tax base that is hidden behind PILOTs is small. Even if most of Montclair weren't off-limits to new development, Montclair pays for its school school system with local taxes and if it PILOTed excessively it would be cannibalizing its own school tax base and have a voter rebellion.

Not so for Jersey City. Jersey City should be commended for how accepting it is of new housing, but its schools are paid for by the state and there is no incentive for it not to PILOT virtually everything. Jersey City has thus exploited the PILOT law like no other town in New Jersey to the point where 30% of its valuation is PILOTed. Jersey City's abuse of the PILOT law is so substantial that it was in fact sued by Secaucus, North Bergen, and Bayonne in the late 1990s/early 2000s over not paying for its fair share of county taxes.

I just love that this invalidates Yvonne's arguments about tax abatements. it turns out residents of Jersey City are not losing money to it, we're just screwing over state tax payers with guarantee Abbott funding (for now) and other municipalities in Hudson County that have to bear a larger burden of the county's tax base.

Hoboken and JC really need to lose Abbott status and the other municipalities in Hudson County really need to pressure the tax board to do a reval.

Until then, might as well let the legal pillage continue. Don't hate the player, hate the game. And JC is best at it.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 19:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
By coincidence, I was working on a post in praise of county taxes when this thread appeared JClist.

There aren't a lot of people who feel good about their county government, but county taxes are the fairest in NJ.

http://njeducationaid.blogspot.com/20 ... ers-for-county-taxes.html

Posted on: 2016/6/9 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
BTW, whoever it was that predicted a rate of at least 2.5% (based on conversations with a source) may have been right, after all.

How do you figure? If this is going to increase the current rate by 10% of the county portion (50% IIRC) that's .5 x .1 x .02=.001, or 0.1% increase in the overall effective rate. $1000 on your $1m house.

The point I was trying to make is that if we assume our current rate to be 2.2%, and you do the math you just did, the total rate then inches up to 2.3%. That number of 2.2% is a guesstimate. We are all assuming that the current overall valuations for JC are more or less correct. Who is to say that total housing valuation doesn't come in at a lower total than expected, thereby forcing a slightly higher rate?

I'd put money on Jersey City's Equalized Valuation being higher in two years than it is now and therefore the effective tax rate staying low.

The parking lot that HAP Investments just paid $26.5 million for is assessed at only $151,800. (it appears as the Robinhood Plaza, 506 Summit Ave)

That's just one property, but that's a ratio of 174:1.

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 609605____00004_________M

506 Summit Ave is only assessed at $151,800 but just sold for $26.5 million??!! I'm starting to think that the impact to homeowners is just a red herring and the true forces trying to derail a reval are large landowners/developers like this example. It's also interesting that the land portion of the assessment cannot receive a tax abatement, so the owners are forced to pay the full value regardless of the abatement given on the improvement.

From what I can tell, 506 Summit Ave paid $11,357.68 in taxes in 2015, or 7.48 percent.

With the reval, the new assessed value should be in the ballpark of $26.5 million, possibly more as the land is being improved with a substantial residential tower containing 800 luxury apartments.

$26.5 million x 2.5 percent = $662,500 - a 5,833 percent increase!!

The reval, by state law, must be revenue neutral. This is why I believe the 2.5 number being floated around is way too high. The overall assessed value is going to be much higher than anticipated if there are more situations like 506 Summit. The other example which comes to mind is 99 Hudson...

Posted on: 2016/6/9 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
BTW, whoever it was that predicted a rate of at least 2.5% (based on conversations with a source) may have been right, after all.

How do you figure? If this is going to increase the current rate by 10% of the county portion (50% IIRC) that's .5 x .1 x .02=.001, or 0.1% increase in the overall effective rate. $1000 on your $1m house.

The point I was trying to make is that if we assume our current rate to be 2.2%, and you do the math you just did, the total rate then inches up to 2.3%. That number of 2.2% is a guesstimate. We are all assuming that the current overall valuations for JC are more or less correct. Who is to say that total housing valuation doesn't come in at a lower total than expected, thereby forcing a slightly higher rate?

I'd put money on Jersey City's Equalized Valuation being higher in two years than it is now and therefore the effective tax rate staying low.

The parking lot that HAP Investments just paid $26.5 million for is assessed at only $151,800. (it appears as the Robinhood Plaza, 506 Summit Ave)

I always felt the same way, until recently, when I started to question if maybe that is just an optimistic hope. Looking around in some of the non DTJC neighborhoods, lots of properties are in poor shape (downright dilapidated) and I am not at all convinced that there has been much appreciation in some areas. I guess we will know for sure by 2018.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/9 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/9 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

Residents of seven Hudson County towns will see increases in their county taxes this year as part of the $540 million county budget approved by freeholders late last month.

The biggest hikes will hit Jersey City residents, whose share of the county tax burden will increase by 10.15 percent over last year. Union City's share will rise by 5.97 percent, while increases in Harrison, Hoboken, North Bergen and Secaucus are about 4 percent each. County taxes in Kearny will increase by 2.6 percent.

More

As taxes in NJ continue to rise, the math starts to favor NYC: better schools, better government services, better mass transit and with taxes here rapidly approaching obscene levels, the total cost of home ownership is starting to become more and more equal.

The same guy also said Jersey City will be left with a budget shortfall and would need to cut services, or raise taxes, due to the reval, per his "trusted" long-time source at the city; That's how I knew he was full of shit.

Stateaidguy, as always, thanks for the detailed explanation. I learn a lot by reading your insightful posts.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 10:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Residents of seven Hudson County towns will see increases in their county taxes this year as part of the $540 million county budget approved by freeholders late last month.

The biggest hikes will hit Jersey City residents, whose share of the county tax burden will increase by 10.15 percent over last year. Union City's share will rise by 5.97 percent, while increases in Harrison, Hoboken, North Bergen and Secaucus are about 4 percent each. County taxes in Kearny will increase by 2.6 percent.

More

As taxes in NJ continue to rise, the math starts to favor NYC: better schools, better government services, better mass transit and with taxes here rapidly approaching obscene levels, the total cost of home ownership is starting to become more and more equal.

Jersey City's county tax levy is increasing by 10% because its Equalized Valuation increased by 10% in the previous year. Although this means a bigger tax bill for JC taxpayers, it doesn't mean a higher effective tax rate. In fact, Hudson County's tax rate as a whole is falling slightly.

Also, you have to see the long game with taxes. For the last decade Jersey City's share of the overall Hudson County levy has actually FALLEN from 33% to now 32%. Why has this happened despite all the development? (hint, PILOTs)

County tax increases are partly like the increases some taxpayers get from a reval than the increases people get on their school and municipal taxes. This is because county taxes are reapportioned every year and if a town's percentage of a county's total Equalized Valuation increases from, say, 16% to 17%, its portion of the total county tax levy increases from 16% to 17%.

What's MESSED UP with Jersey City isn't that its county tax levy is increasing by 10%, it's that the local tax assessment is ridiculous so that poor people are disproportionately paying for the increase. Blame your mayors and city council for this, not Hudson County.

So downtown Jersey City is booming and that drives up Jersey City's Equalized Valuation, but guess how pays for it? Greenville.

Overall you should be worried for people in overassessed properties, but glad that your share of county taxes is increasing because it means that your city's real estate market is strong.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/9 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

More

Posted on: 2016/6/9 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
This has been up for eight minutes already and no YvonneScreed yet?

She's probably busy monitoring the bathrooms at Target.

Posted on: 2016/6/8 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
This has been up for eight minutes already and no YvonneScreed yet?

Posted on: 2016/6/8 20:49

$540M Hudson County budget to hike taxes in seven towns
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

More

Posted on: 2016/6/8 20:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017