Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City tries out 'day lighting' to boost pedestrian safety
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Oh dear, I guess this puts a crimp in a former assemblyman's lifelong plan to increase parking by allowing people to park in bus stops over night.

That's the de-facto rule in the Heights now as far as I can see. Personally, I think we should just get rid of the stops. No bus actually pulls far enough to the curb for traffic to pass, they just block traffic so they don't have to wait to merge back in from a stop. One of the reasons I'd love a dashcam is to document the non-use of JC bus stops.

I wonder if dash cam footage is admissible as evidence in moving violation cases? As a regular bus rider, the rare times a bus-stop isn't blocked by parked cars, pulling back out into traffic is dicey owning to cars failing to yield to the bus and/or crossing the double-yellow line to pass it when it's stopped.

I think the bus should have dash and rear cams - maybe we'll see Brewster flying by, horn blaring, as the 87 tries to pull out into traffic!

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:
[
Actually the bollards on on 3 of the 4 corners, there is nothing in front of the Burger place,(on First) which is what I was referring to earlier.

No, the burger place is on the one corner, the northeast corner, where daylighting would be LEAST useful.

It is the corner that drivers/cyclists have a clear straight-ahead view of when traveling on either north on Erie or east on First. You pass that spot when you've already driven through the intersection safely. It's not a blind spot. That's why it has no bollards.

Forgive me if I'm not remembering where all the bollards are exactly, but that's the general theory. You particularly want to improve visibility for drivers/cyclists heading into a junction.

On the exiting side, bollards and bumpouts still help pedestrian safety, because they give pedestrians a little buffer zone to stop cars from impinging on crosswalks, etc. And actually, looking at my photos now, I can see one bollard on first on the south side, and east of the junction, thus on the exiting side. That may be an attempt to protect the crosswalk?also good.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Wait ... as I recall, the bollards by Torico's are on both sides of First approaching Erie, and on both sides of Erie approaching First. That's often how it's done.

You improve visibility across the whole intersection for everyone approaching it?the ones on the southwest corner do that?AND you ALSO improve drivers'/cyclists' view of pedestrians crossing as they turn OFF one street onto the other.

There's nothing botched about it.

Actually the bollards on on 3 of the 4 corners, there is nothing in front of the Burger place,(on First) which is what I was referring to earlier.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Wait ... as I recall, the bollards by Torico's are on both sides of First approaching Erie, and on both sides of Erie approaching First. That's often how it's done.

You improve visibility across the whole intersection for everyone approaching it.

The ones on the southwest corner help people see cross traffic approaching. And the ones on the other two corners improve drivers'/cyclists' view of pedestrians crossing, and of slow or stopped traffic ahead, as they turn OFF one street onto the other.

There's nothing botched about it.

As for the term "daylighting," I believe it's mostly metaphorical; we're improving sight lines, thus "shedding light" at those corners.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 15:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Also, I am confused by the placement of the delineated area along First Street... shouldn't the banned area be the one along both sides of the southwest corner!?!? If you are truly trying to improve visibility for cars and pedestrians, you want to make it so that traffic heading North and East can see each other easily.

Please tell me this was not another botched "safety" project, as was the case with the STOP signs two years ago and the speed humps a year or so ago. Surely someone looked at this and thought it through before those barriers were put in place.

I think it was intentional. The ones that are in place are quite effective. Visibility when crossing that intersection is much improved. I believe they left that corner out to allow for trucks to unload, since they only stop for short periods, and there is nowhere else for them to go.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 13:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
I drove down Morris St last night, which has really nice permanent bump-outs at its intersection with Greene St, and people had parked along not one but both bump-outs. Nice!

I'm a cyclist first, pedestrian second, and driver third - so I really understand the purpose of daylighting, and hope these efforts succeed - but there clearly needs to be messaging/education and enforcement to go along with the paint and delineator posts.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Oh dear, I guess this puts a crimp in a former assemblyman's lifelong plan to increase parking by allowing people to park in bus stops over night.

That's the de-facto rule in the Heights now as far as I can see. Personally, I think we should just get rid of the stops. No bus actually pulls far enough to the curb for traffic to pass, they just block traffic so they don't have to wait to merge back in from a stop. One of the reasons I'd love a dashcam is to document the non-use of JC bus stops.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
"Daylighting" has apparently been a thing since at least 2009.

http://www.streetfilms.org/daylighting-make-your-crosswalks-safer/

Posted on: 2016/1/19 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/18 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
"Jersey City is trying out daylighting -- a method of blocking people from parking close to intersections, as a way to increase visibility of traffic and pedestrians."

The pictures in the article show new barriers and painted areas close to the corners. Looks similar to a bump out of the curb, just without the concrete.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Also, I am confused by the placement of the delineated area along First Street... shouldn't the banned area be the one along both sides of the southwest corner!?!? If you are truly trying to improve visibility for cars and pedestrians, you want to make it so that traffic heading North and East can see each other easily.

Please tell me this was not another botched "safety" project, as was the case with the STOP signs two years ago and the speed humps a year or so ago. Surely someone looked at this and thought it through before those barriers were put in place.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
OK, why the hell is it called 'day lighting'? Googling gets nothing, this article is in the 1st page.

I was wondering the same thing!

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
OK, why the hell is it called 'day lighting'? Googling gets nothing, this article is in the 1st page.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
how about basic things like synchronizing the traffic lights with the crosswalk signals on Chris Columbus and other major streets? NYC has this done EVERYWHERE...

Imagine giving pedestrians the same information that cars receive...

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:17

Jersey City tries out 'day lighting' to boost pedestrian safety
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City tries out 'day lighting' to boost pedestrian safety

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
January 18, 2016 at 1:15 PM

JERSEY CITY — Day lighting is here!

The city is trying out day lighting — installing barriers to keep motorists from parking too close to intersections — in three locations, and city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said the city is hoping to expand the method to other locations.

For now, barriers have been put up at Erie and First streets, Bergen and Storms avenues and Monticello and Storms avenues.

The idea is to improve visibility for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists by preventing cars from illegally parking too close to intersections.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... hting_for_pedestrian.html

Posted on: 2016/1/18 21:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017