Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC #4 on Urbanscale.com list of "Most Urban Cities"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Also, Miami is in the Top 10? Every time I have been there, it seems rather hard (read impossible) to get around without a car, except for a very small area of bars and restaurants.

Good point. Maybe he felt like he needed to throw the sunbelt a bone. But Chicago, Philly and Newark are also about the same density.

Here's a way to waste time (my specialty)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... ies_by_population_density

Posted on: 2015/12/9 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
These things are almost always paid advertisements when they appear as "articles" in NJ.com, and are mainly used just to drive traffic to their website.

The link explaining the methodology is broken, but there is a bar on the top with extra info. While on the surface there appears to be many factors that go into this ranking, when you click on each individual element, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of substance behind them. For example, we supposedly rank #5 overall for "most urban buildings." But the description of this category is vague and generic, and I have a feeling you could shuffle the entire list around (both the main list and the "buildings" list) and no one would notice.

Didn't hit it from a news site, actually was looking for a graphic of the population drop in Pittsburgh (lived there briefly) and got one of his blog posts about interpreting trend data where took apart the someone's notion that Austin would be bigger than NYC by 2100. Whatever it is, I don't think it's linkbait.

Surprised to see Buffalo (NY) listed, but not Rochester, which has seen an urban renaissance of sorts recently, with lots of young urban professionals moving back to the downtown area, making it into a nice walkable city with lots of bars and restaurants. Also, Miami is in the Top 10? Every time I have been there, it seems rather hard (read impossible) to get around without a car, except for a very small area of bars and restaurants.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
These things are almost always paid advertisements when they appear as "articles" in NJ.com, and are mainly used just to drive traffic to their website.

The link explaining the methodology is broken, but there is a bar on the top with extra info. While on the surface there appears to be many factors that go into this ranking, when you click on each individual element, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of substance behind them. For example, we supposedly rank #5 overall for "most urban buildings." But the description of this category is vague and generic, and I have a feeling you could shuffle the entire list around (both the main list and the "buildings" list) and no one would notice.

Didn't hit it from a news site, actually was looking for a graphic of the population drop in Pittsburgh (lived there briefly) and got one of his blog posts about interpreting trend data where took apart the someone's notion that Austin would be bigger than NYC by 2100. Whatever it is, I don't think it's linkbait.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/9 2:39

JC #4 on Urbanscale.com list of "Most Urban Cities"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Stumbled on this googling something unrelated. Seems cool. The methodology seems less random than most of these things.

http://urbanscale.com/the-most-urban-cities/

Top Ten Most Urban Cities (2014)

New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Boston, MA
Jersey City, NJ
Washington, DC
Miami, FL
Chicago, IL
Seattle, WA
Philadelphia, PA
Minneapolis, MN