Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ voters overwhelmingly oppose rise in gas tax
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I think we can all agree that everyone complains about taxes. I have never heard anyone say, "paying taxes is fun"!

We should all agree on this, but there are always those like Pebble who think people with comfortable lives "shouldn't be concerned about taxes." Of course, whether you take babble seriously is another matter.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I think we can all agree that everyone complains about taxes. I have never heard anyone say, "paying taxes is fun"!

Posted on: 2015/11/20 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
If you picked yourself up by your bootstraps and got yourself a better job, you wouldn?t be worrying about how much money you pay in taxes?

I normally avoid most political discussion in this board, but this last comment is a bit baffling. I don't get the logic. Do you believe/think that someone who improved themselves through their own efforts would not complain about taxes??

If someone makes enough money to have a comfortable life, they shouldn't be concerned with taxes. Some people just don't have good enough jobs and decide to concern themselves with it more than those that are more successful.

Most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet in quite some time. Congrats.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The latest Fairleigh Dickinson poll reports 62% oppose a gas tax hike, and even among Democrats more than half don't want it raised.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
So Monroe, how do all you affluent suburbanites (and I'll extend the question to all the DTJC residents with cars) propose to fix your roads?

I'm a liberal Democrat, but I don't b@tch and moan anywhere near as much about my share of the tax bill that goes to support a military protecting your capital, your oil, your defense contracts.

Easy. First, make the fund a lockbox that can't be emptied and raided. Next, repeal 'prevailing wage'. We can't afford paying the guys who pick up the cones on highway construction $75/hour. Now I understand that we're the most congested state in the nation, and we will have to pay more than most. But 8X the national average, and 2X the closest state? It's insanity. We have institutionalized corruption-it been written into state laws. The corruption with our state roads is no different from the 6 billion dollar wasted by the schools construction corporation.

And hit the Feds up. Thankfully Christie and Booker shook some money for the tunnel-now go back and bring back road construction money. Remember the 900 billion dollar stimulus? Know how much came to NJ for those infrastructure 'shovel ready' jobs? Not a single red cent. We get back less from the Feds that 48 other states-time for that to change.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
If you picked yourself up by your bootstraps and got yourself a better job, you wouldn?t be worrying about how much money you pay in taxes?

I normally avoid most political discussion in this board, but this last comment is a bit baffling. I don't get the logic. Do you believe/think that someone who improved themselves through their own efforts would not complain about taxes??

If someone makes enough money to have a comfortable life, they shouldn't be concerned with taxes. Some people just don't have good enough jobs and decide to concern themselves with it more than those that are more successful.

I have to say I completely disagree with your statement. I am not sure how you can make such a sweeping statement. Earning "enough money to have a comfortable life" is very subjective. I would argue that based on my salary, I fit that description. Heck, by some people's standards, I would be classified as "part of the problem" and a "one percenter" and I sure AF care about how much I pay in taxes and how little I get in return for that. Why shouldn't every citizen, particularly those paying a small fortune in yearly taxes, feel entitled to some sort of return on their contribution?!? Other states around the nation seem to do much better with less. Why can't we expect as much? Or, more?

Posted on: 2015/11/14 4:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 0:43
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly, the state of the roads here is an embarrassment.

The size of some of the pot holes is criminal. The repairs that are done are either non-existent (I can't believe the craters on some of the roads seemingly get ignored so long) or are cheap and not going to last more than a few months.

Gas tax should be raised on the condition that the additional tax revenue is reinvested directly into infrastructure.

Posted on: 2015/11/14 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/13 22:50
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Protip: You will never get logic from Pebble, just babble.

Posted on: 2015/11/13 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/13 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In other words, screw the taxpayers. Gotcha. 3x what it costs Massachusetts, and 8X the national average. NJ residents don't want a gas tax hike.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... ds_rails_and_bridges.html

Those workers are taxpayers as well. Do they not deserve jobs that put food on their table? Why is it ok for Christie to hide the expenses he has put on this state for his pipe dream yet we know exactly how much a guy filling pot holes makes? Why are you insistent on attacking a guy making menial money while working on a highway (where people die) while not complaining about how much money is wasted where it clearly can be cut?

Quote:

MDM wrote:
A big issue is the trust fun keeps getting raided to cover other things besides what it was supposed to cover: transportation.

If the tax is raised, what is to stop the State government from just raiding it again, putting the fun back into the red?

This is a fair question. As such, they should look to putting locks on it and having it specifically allocated for this spending. I doubt it happens, but it doesn?t mean that raising a specific tax shouldn?t happen.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
So Monroe, how do all you affluent suburbanites (and I'll extend the question to all the DTJC residents with cars) propose to fix your roads?

I'm a liberal Democrat, but I don't b@tch and moan anywhere near as much about my share of the tax bill that goes to support a military protecting your capital, your oil, your defense contracts.

What does "your capital" and "your defense contracts" mean? You are not a resident of the USA? I suppose certain extreme "progressives" live on another planet so thanks for clarifying.

The road question is pretty simple. We are already the highest taxed state in the nation (or top 3). The money is there. Cut down on the endless government bloat and put that existing money to better use.

Posted on: 2015/11/13 16:19
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

What does "your capital" and "your defense contracts" mean? You are not a resident of the USA? I suppose certain extreme "progressives" live on another planet so thanks for clarifying.

The road question is pretty simple. We are already the highest taxed state in the nation (or top 3). The money is there. Cut down on the endless government bloat and put that existing money to better use.

Posted on: 2015/11/13 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/13 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
A big issue is the trust fun keeps getting raided to cover other things besides what it was supposed to cover: transportation.

If the tax is raised, what is to stop the State government from just raiding it again, putting the fun back into the red?

Posted on: 2015/11/13 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In other words, screw the taxpayers. Gotcha. 3x what it costs Massachusetts, and 8X the national average. NJ residents don't want a gas tax hike.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... ds_rails_and_bridges.html

Posted on: 2015/11/12 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The revenue is fine, the problem is that it costs 8X the national average to pave a mile of highway, and 3X the closest state.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/na ... build-a-nj-road/17125069/

So the problem is that we pay people a living wage to work hard labor jobs...?

Yeah, sorry. Wake me when Christie ceases using our tax dollars to pay for his campaign and maybe then I'll take an attack on guys pouring cement seriously...

Posted on: 2015/11/12 23:12
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The revenue is fine, the problem is that it costs 8X the national average to pave a mile of highway, and 3X the closest state.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/na ... build-a-nj-road/17125069/

Posted on: 2015/11/12 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i don't want to pay any taxes, does that mean that i should actually pay zero. the state needs to raise the gas tax to fund needed road repairs, etc.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If we didn't have the toll that the prevailing wage constraints puts on our budget our money could go 35% farther. That's a huge cost. Imagine the impact that money could have on improving NJTransit, for example. But its slush money for the Democrats in Trenton, so it won't go away.

Sorry but that's just excuse claims and talking points from those with a specific political agenda.

Arguing that we're paying workers which make median wages too much is a rather sad claim...

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:23
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If we didn't have the toll that the prevailing wage constraints puts on our budget our money could go 35% farther. That's a huge cost. Imagine the impact that money could have on improving NJTransit, for example. But its slush money for the Democrats in Trenton, so it won't go away.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Is it really any surprise that those who use gasoline don't want to foot the bill for the destruction that vehicles do to the roads?

It's typical that the blame gets shifted on the Democrats when in reality it is simply a matter of fact that much of this state is heavily car dependent. Instead of increasing public transit, administration after administration has gutted it, regardless of party.

The gasoline tax should be increased. There needs to be further incentive for mass transit. Our roads are too dire to continue this way.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Two things-we're pretty much the highest taxed population among all the states, so I'm no offended we have the second lowest gas tax. Next, we get very low value from the money we spend on infrastructure, because of the 'prevailing wage' constraints that our Democrat party uses to buy special interest votes.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
raise tolls. they impact everyone that uses infrastructure. Gas taxes hurt those that cannot afford to buy a brand new fuel efficient car.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Or maybe it's because we have the lowest gas taxes in the country at the same time that we have a lot of roads and bridges and tunnels that need fixing up? Which is pretty evident when you see that half of Jersey City's escape routes are under construction.

I do have to laugh at this suggestion:
Quote:
Voters also opposed by 56 percent to 33 percent any deal in which the gas tax is increased in exchange for a reduction in the state's tax on estates worth at least $675,000.

Why the Eff would anyone agree to this? Sure, let's have the poor and middle class pay more for gas so that people making more money can get a tax break! That's not an "in exchange" that's a shift in who is paying.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Unions want it to continue to extort the taxpayer at any cost to fund their selfish gravy trains. That's what it's all about.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:00

NJ voters overwhelmingly oppose rise in gas tax
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But Hudson county Democrat leader Prieto is leading the charge. This regressive tax impacts the poor horribly.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... ax.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2015/11/12 13:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017