Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Safe to live in the Heights (Concord & St. Paul's)?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/8 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived all over the city and love the Heights, bought here. It feels like one of the safest neighborhoods too, definitely quietest, but not in a bad way. I live up near JFK, the Palisades area is really nice. Surely needs more business diversity, including restaurants but it's getting better all the time, and lots of delivery options even from Hoboken/ Weehawken.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 1:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/15 22:29
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Beacon, and I like the area. My neighbors are very nice, and commuting to NYC is easy.

I'm not sure where you commute to via the PATH, but if it's NYC as well, consider taking the jitneys during rush hour and NJTransit 123 bus other times. The walk to the PATH is not bad, and I've never had a problem, but I'm not fond of walking it at night. I would recommend doing it after dark yourself.

Most stores close at 10pm, except the Dunkin' Donuts near the hospital. There are a couple of corner stores, several laundromats, a couple of bars, and not much else in the immediate area (5-10 minute walk). The Riverside Park area is a nice 20-minute walk up Palisades. Check out Central Avenue for shopping. Supremo is probably the closest grocery store. The Reservoir is within walking distance, and they have kayaking and fishing.

We don't do much local shopping. FreshDirect for grocery delivery and Central Avenue Liquors for wine delivery, and we pick most everything else up in NYC on the way home.

I've been in the area since 1998, and it's definitely getting better very slowly. I see houses being renovated, and the shops are improving. Improvements are started near Riverside Park, and the effect is spreading south.

The highway doesn't bother us, well, it didn't until they started ripping it up, but the construction is a temporary pain in the neck when traffic is diverted. If I decide to take an Uber into the city, it's a quick shot through the Holland Tunnel.

Posted on: 2015/9/30 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SuchGreatHeights wrote:
I moved to Sherman Place over a year ago. It's more on the west side of town. Choc o pain, Wonder Bagels, and Guitar Bar are rumored to come to Palisades sometime this year.

Palisade could sure use some retail and cuisine diversity. The most bizarre thing is it's a pizza desert, not one between Newark and South (do not bring up the sketchy place at Prospect). In that same stretch there's got to be 10 Latin food joints of various origin. On the west side of HP I have 5 Pizzerias within a 5 minute walk.

Posted on: 2015/9/26 15:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
I would agree that the particular little neighborhood you're considering is rough around the edges, but as far as living goes you need to get a feel for the Heights block-by-block. St. Paul's has a number of large apartment buildings -- that can affect the character of a block a lot if they're not well managed. Walk/drive/bike by your prospective house at multiple times of day, throughout the week if possible. I personally like that little corner between 139 and Palisade a lot -- houses are cute, public transportation is great (123 to Port Authority right at Christ Hospital, jitneys going to JSQ, downtown, PA during rush hour, 87 on Central to Hoboken). Don't know what parking is like, considering proximity to hospital. Closest grocery store is probably Supremo on Palisade, but you're actually equally close to 5 corners and Newark Ave -- Moloney's Meat Market, Philippine Bread House, Monteleone's Bakery.
Take a cab or uber at night if you're concerned; for the most part I would agree that the walk to and from JSQ is a safe one using the right routes.

Posted on: 2015/9/26 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SuchGreatHeights wrote:
Be prepared for raging parking conversations. They're obsessed with their parking. Seems a fair chunk are upset over the entrance of Citibike on their streets.

I moved to the Heights in 2008. If you are expecting a real urban environment, and are not into the car mono-culture the Heights is not for you.

Posted on: 2015/9/26 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Sgt Anthony Park Neighborhood Association

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=387109

Posted on: 2015/9/26 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/26 0:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/10 23:57
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to Sherman Place over a year ago. It's more on the west side of town. Choc o pain, Wonder Bagels, and Guitar Bar are rumored to come to Palisades sometime this year. I think it's a good move. I think these few years is a good time to buy as there are still reasonable prices around. Join a Facebook group called Jersey City Heights United. That's how I find out about everything going on. Be prepared for raging parking conversations. They're obsessed with their parking. Seems a fair chunk are upset over the entrance of Citibike on their streets.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
We've lived in the heights for over 7 years now and do not feel unsafe. I walk to the gym alone at about 5:45 am 3 times a week and my biggest issue is the skunks that come out... they are not afraid of people!

I actually was just remarking to my husband the other day how I haven't heard of any crime happening in a long time. Even the graffiti situation has seem to have gotten under control, although that does get worse in the winter.

When we first moved in there would be a random shooting or stabbing at the park, or a random mugging or break-in (very sporadically, like once or twice a year) but honestly in the last year I haven't heard about anything.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would attend some block association meetings. The Heights has a few scattered about not sure about your area though. Also The Police Captain's meeting is 7pm on the third Wednesday of the month held at PS #7 School. A good way to familiarize yourself with the area. You should be fine in that section of the Heights, take a walk around during the daytime weekends and weekdays as well to get an everyday feel of what the Heights has to offer. We also have two bicycle shops incase you do the two wheel mode of transportation, which is a great way to navigate without missing a beat.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight is the Falling Leaves event at 942 Summit tea/bakery from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm benefiting the J.C. Parks Coalition. A $16 fee and you get a cup of tea and a baked dessert. They will have readings and music for the evening's entertainment. Tomorrow is the Washington Park Live street festival on Palisade Ave at the Union City border featuring art, music, food trucks, and the Frogs are Green organization, and many more community minded groups. And every Saturday from 10am till 4pm pay a visit to the Reservoir on Summit Ave. next to Pershing Field Park. Some great hiking and fishing and a scenic view of the lake.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 18:48

Edited by heights on 2015/9/25 19:09:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Completely forgot to mention Central Ave! It is a treasure trove of Latin Food. Excellent Mexican at Los Chilitos, Puerto Rican at El Sabroso or Isla Bonita, Thai at NoodleFan. Also various Italian places. Great sandwiches at Andrea's Salumeria.

I'm hungry now.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 18:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone on this site is so helpful, thanks! I did get a good feeling about the area so will do some more research based on all of your suggestions. thanks

Posted on: 2015/9/25 18:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/29 17:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I moved to the Heights nearly 10 years ago from Brooklyn. We're at Sherman Avenue and Griffith. We do a lot of walking throughout the Heights and Jersey City / Hoboken area, both for commuting and recreation. I commute primarily through Hoboken but, depending on the train situation, weather, and other factors, will occasionally commute through Journal Square. I have never felt unsafe --- during a 5am run with my dog, an 8am walk to the station, or a 6-9pm return home. I often travel via Baldwin, which is charming with reasonable traffic and activity. I say hello to people on the street and am greeted with friendly smiles.

The community groups and subsets of them are very active in this area. I would encourage you to find the Riverview Neighborhood Association on Facebook or their website riverviewneighborhood.org/.

Other groups that have been great resources for me and my neighbors (again, on Facebook):

* Riverview Arts District
* Heights Social Club
* Jersey City Heights Restaurant, Pub & Eatery Guide

I can't speak to the potential increase in value for your home, but I will say that the proximity to so many quality green spaces, community events, and access points into the city and points North, South and West of us, have an impact on quality of life and property values --- short and long-term.

I have a long list of Heights, Jersey City and other area resources that we share with members of our condo building --- many of whom are first-timers like we once were. It's a growing list of eateries, grocery stores and unique provisions, dry cleaners, pet care and other specialty needs. If you're interested in it, please email me at lcospito@gmail.com and I'm happy to share.

Good luck in your decision-making.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived 3.5 blocks west of that for 11 years and have never felt unsafe. (I'm a woman if that matters...) There is Supremo Supermarket a few blocks down Palisade Ave- they actually give free rides home in their delivery van if you ask! Another easy option is to hop on a dollar van to the Light Rail elevator down to Shoprite in Hoboken...or good old Amazon Fresh/Fresh Direct delivered right to your door!

Up on Central Avenue are a few restaurants worth checking out- favorites include Renato's (Italian) and I like 5 de Mayo for Mexican. Apparently there is a new rumor that Wonder Bagels will open up there too, but perhaps that is in line with the Hoboken/Trader Joe's thing...

All in all, I say do it! I enjoy calling this neighborhood home and you sure can't beat the prices!

Posted on: 2015/9/25 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Feeling safe is relative to the individual. In your case, I?d suggest talking a trip around there at night, say 8, 9, and 10pm on different days to take a look at those in the area, who is hanging outside and what your new neighbors are doing. This is a massive investment and this type of research is important. You don?t want to buy and then regret it later.

You are correct that there isn?t a ton of things to do there right now. However, there is so much development occurring at JSQ that you?ll have options coming quite soon to that area. It will result in spillover to the area you?re looking in.

A lot of people here seem to believe that anything outside of downtown is a waste of time and money. I heavily disagree. If you are comfortable with the price, I believe that you?ll make out just fine as your equity will increase exponentially. Your location will get spillover from Hoboken and DTJC.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:35
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
You have Mod Cup coffee shop on palisade ave, across from riverview park. An awesome farmers marker on riverview park. Lots of JC Friday activities. Excellent neighborhood association (riverview neighborhood assoc). Fox and Crow restaurant on palisade and congress. The Corkscrew bar and grill on Congress and ny. And other things I can't remember now. The Heights is definitely getting pricey too, meaning, personal opinion is that yes, houses will appreciate. However, I'm no expert.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 16:19

Safe to live in the Heights (Concord & St. Paul's)?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I?m considering buying a house in the Heights at St. Paul?s & Concord St. It?s a great old house and the houses on the block are cute but?. the neighborhood seems a bit desolate and rough around the edges. I?m moving from downtown because prices here are crazy and I feel like it?s losing a lot of it?s character. That being said, I don?t want to move somewhere that?s so far removed from any action. Seems like there are no coffee shops or groceries stores nearby but maybe I?m wrong? Also, I?m a woman and want to feel comfortable doing the 10-min walk from Journal Square at night. Thoughts?

And do you anticipate that buying there is a good investment and that things like restaurants & coffee shops will pop up over the next 5 years? Or do you think it?ll be hard to sell later down the line because it?s right next to that big highway (so prices will always be low there)? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 15:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017