Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: McGreevey is asked to leave a community meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on August 10, 2015 at 10:17 PM, updated August 10, 2015 at 11:42 PM

A controversial plan to locate a prisoner re-entry program next door to Sacred Heart School was scrapped tonight after nearly 200 people showed up to voice their opinions on it.

The decision comes after weeks of community members voicing opposition to the plan, and represents a blow for Mayor Steve Fulop's administration, which won a $4.2 million state grant to operate the center.

More - JJ

Posted on: 2015/8/11 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
McGreevey said he heard the community and promised to relocate the re-entry program from the HUB as well as Sacred Heart. The community shouted out at him they were disrespected. Everyone should come to the next Council meeting on August 19th at 6PM. Call the city clerks office at City Hall to be listed as a speaker.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The community came perhaps over 300 citizens, they wouldn't back down and McGreevey said he will not have the program at Sacred Heart.

Posted on: 2015/8/11 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It is open to the public which includes McGreevey.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is a meeting tonight at Sacred Heart. It is open to the public which includes McGreevey.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Pebble, the purpose of the meeting was for the community to discuss and formulate a position to present to the City, not to ask questions of City officials.

That's fine.

However, it's not exactly like McGreevey has made himself available to this group before. It may be some time before he makes himself available again. While I can certainly see Monroe's argument (and it is a very valid one), I do think they make news if they pepper him with questions that are on the minds of the members.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 19:30
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
It was very effective in that it gave a lot of publicity to the opposition movement-in some ways it's similar to the BLM hecklers at the Bernie Sanders speech. Rightly or wrongly, it brought a lot of news attention, and in the end caused Bernie to promise to support their goals.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, the purpose of the meeting was for the community to discuss and formulate a position to present to the City, not to ask questions of City officials.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If McGreevey wanted to include the community, he had plenty of opportunities to do this. McGreevey spoke to the parents of Sacred Heart on Friday, August 7th, after he signed the contract. Why didn't he meet with the parents before? Some parents have said they will pull take their children out of the school. I don't blame them.
But more important, why was Public Works there cleaning out the property? The re-entry program is private. Didn't Fulop fire Oren Dabney's brother over using public resources for private concerns. I saw the truck and personnel and I added to the my video. The city council did not vote to have city personnel there.

+1 Fulop and McGreedy fuk up on this one.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Why didn't he meet with the parents before?

Well, he didn't get a chance to answer that question. He was thrown out. It seems to me that the community group doesn't actually want an answer as to why they weren't spoken to before. It seems as though the community doesn't want to explain their grievances.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 16:25
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If McGreevey wanted to include the community, he had plenty of opportunities to do this. McGreevey spoke to the parents of Sacred Heart on Friday, August 7th, after he signed the contract. Why didn't he meet with the parents before? Some parents have said they will pull take their children out of the school. I don't blame them.
But more important, why was Public Works there cleaning out the property? The re-entry program is private. Didn't Fulop fire Oren Dabney's brother over using public resources for private concerns. I saw the truck and personnel and I added to the my video. The city council did not vote to have city personnel there.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Are you planning on also complaining about how the city doesn't listen to your community? Because all you accomplished by removing a representative of the city administration from a community meeting is that you have shut down an avenue of communication between the constituents and the decision makers.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Are you suggesting you want a prisoner re-entry program next to your home and/or the school in your neighborhood? Just give McGreevey your address.

Please quote where I wrote that. I wrote out exactly what I meant but since you seem to be as dense as concrete...

McGreavey is incapable of hearing the community complaint if the man isn't in the room to hear the complaint. It is impossible for the community to hear McGreavey's justification if he is thrown out of the room before he ever speaks.

It's all fine and dandy for everyone to puff their chest out and talk about how they threw the guy out of the room but what did they really accomplish outside of showboating? Will the prisoner re-entry program not be setup there? Will their complaints be addressed?

Not for nothing, but these are supposed adults (you included) that think acting like children will achieve some result.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 15:19
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are you suggesting you want a prisoner re-entry program next to your home and/or the school in your neighborhood? Just give McGreevey your address.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There are a number of re-entry programs in Ward F, including another Martin's place at the HUB. The community does not want a re-entry program adjacent to an elementary school. Would anyone here want a prison re-entry program next to their child's school? Of course not. Plus the community was not notified. This program is for Hudson County ex-offenders not just JC. They could place this program at an industrial area.

Well, a very good way to get people to hear your complaint is to kick them out the second they enter...

Posted on: 2015/8/10 14:22
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are a number of re-entry programs in Ward F, including another Martin's place at the HUB. The community does not want a re-entry program adjacent to an elementary school. Would anyone here want a prison re-entry program next to their child's school? Of course not. Plus the community was not notified. This program is for Hudson County ex-offenders not just JC. They could place this program at an industrial area.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Um, excuse me JC and User, how does Prato enter the conversation here? This is not an "us" versus "them" situation.

There does exist a body of credible social science research which fully supports the idea that socioeconomic status and low-socioeconomic neighborhoods have a significant correlation to mental health and personal progress. So, take a person living in a low-socioeconomic neighborhood who earns a decent income relative to the neighborhood, and that person isn?t as stressed as he or she would be if placed in a high-socioeconomic neighborhood where same income is less and in many cases FAR less relative to the neighborhood.

Frankly, I would have no problem if this program were implemented downtown, so long as the rationale for doing so was in the best interests of the newly released prisoners.

But, it has to go somewhere, why not in the Greenville neighborhood? What do all the community activists seen on the video, all of whom are African-American, propose we do regarding the needed program?s implementation given that the majority of the ex-prisoners are African-American? This whole business of protest and demonstration seems kind of turncoat to me.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
You are so full of shit, yeah you! You people don't want a bakery with backyard seating but 'those people" should be OK with this, Ignorance and entitlement on one board. Oh what fun!

Yup. What I've been saying all along. We love Prato, equitable taxing, food trucks, affordable housing but just Not In My Back Yard. Part of the reason I will shed no tears when the reval gets everyone to pay their fair share in taxes as it will hit these hypocrites the most. Ward F have been treated like second class citizens with its high property tax burden compared to DTJC.

PS, Prato, they don't want or deserve you at your current location. Move on up to Journal Sauare where you will be welcomed.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
You are so full of shit, yeah you! You people don't want a bakery with backyard seating but 'those people" should be OK with this, Ignorance and entitlement on one board. Oh what fun!

Posted on: 2015/8/8 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Where, then, is the facility supposed to be built? Is there an alternative site, perhaps one that is closer to the Path train system?

What is all the fuss? It's not as though that stretch of Greenville is unfamiliar with crime and or criminals. And, I am not being facetious here. Is the "what about the children" argument merely a front for "what about the real estate value?" The bottom line is that a re-entry program is needed.

Perhaps it should be placed downtown, so that the guys trying to rebuild broken lives can more easily assimilate, lol. The stress of feeling poor is way more harmful than actually existing in poverty.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 15:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
I know there is a story here..

Can someone tell me in broad strokes and big picture, what is playing out here?

Posted on: 2015/8/8 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ben Shapiro | The Jersey Journal

Ward F residents in Jersey City continued their fight against the impending prisoner re-entry service center at the old priory of Sacred Heart Church on Friday night as they protested outside a Sacred Heart School parents-only meeting inside the church led by former Gov. Jim McGreevey and his staff.

Resized Image

More than 40 people stood in front of the entrance to the church holding signs and speaking with parents who were going in and out of the building.

"We're here because we are correctly trying to inform the parents," said Monique Andrews, president of the Henry Snyder Parents Council. "We also want to hear what they are being told in there."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... art_2box_hudson_index.ssf

Posted on: 2015/8/8 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerkski wrote:
That video was one of the most amusing and satisfying clips I have ever seen. When you are not a governor anymore, you lose your clout and are treated the same as the rest of us! Show respect and you MAY get respect...don't mess around with those ladies!

+1. Thank you Yvonne for getting this!

Posted on: 2015/8/7 21:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
That video was one of the most amusing and satisfying clips I have ever seen. When you are not a governor anymore, you lose your clout and are treated the same as the rest of us! Show respect and you MAY get respect...don't mess around with those ladies!

Posted on: 2015/8/7 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By the way, the meeting ran about 2 hours, I had to edit for Comcast. McGreevey arrived around one hour later.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 1:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks! I assumed he was there for the entire meeting. I didn't realize that was when he walked in.
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
McGreevey just walked in when Dr. Mosley was speaking. Joan Terrell saw him and then asked the community about allowing McGreevey to speak. No one said yes. I believe McGreevey wanted to change the message about the meeting. If McGreevey was sincere there would have been a meeting much earlier. Actually, some people said they were not against a re-entry program but not on King Drive and not next to an elementary school. This does not replace Martin's Place at the Hub on King Drive, this is another place.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
McGreevey just walked in when Dr. Mosley was speaking. Joan Terrell saw him and then asked the community about allowing McGreevey to speak. No one said yes. I believe McGreevey wanted to change the message about the meeting. If McGreevey was sincere there would have been a meeting much earlier. Actually, some people said they were not against a re-entry program but not on King Drive and not next to an elementary school. This does not replace Martin's Place at the Hub on King Drive, this is another place.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 0:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Did something happen in the 17 minutes prior to him being asked to leave that made the people want him to leave? Yes, I could go watch it, but figured someone already knew. I don't mean the politics behind the whole thing. I mean it seems odd that it took the community meeting member 17 minutes to ask him to leave if he was just an observing party. I figured I must be missing an outburst/interruption/something.

Quote:

kencares wrote:
This video could use a lot of editing.

If you want to see the awkward moment where McG is kicked out, click here to see 17 mins in:

https://youtu.be/NcSE7aqMnlA?t=17m3s

Posted on: 2015/8/7 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you notice at the end of the video Public Works is there, why? This is a private program.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
This video could use a lot of editing.

If you want to see the awkward moment where McG is kicked out, click here to see 17 mins in:

https://youtu.be/NcSE7aqMnlA?t=17m3s

Posted on: 2015/8/6 1:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017