Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City woman robbed at gunpoint, police say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Is 07310 and FAB twins?

Statistics are scary for some, but when you have a friend that's a senior lecturer on sociology that has also spent years studying criminology, I'm more inclined to take their analysis / word on the topic then anyone on JClist!

Have a read - Here in JC, we're just repeating the same mistakes as other MAJOR cities here and abroad are bulldozing their high-rise apartment complexes.

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/medi ... ad-we-must-create-streets

You are mixing high-rise projects vs privately built. And in the right locations a lot of "projects" in the UK have been successfully converted to private residences. The Thamesmead Estate ($500k+) from A Clockwork Orange and the similarly built Barbican (as high as $3m) being a couple of examples. By all means bulldoze projects like Duncan given the social issues and difficulty policing - but you and your sociology friend are deluded if you think that applies to the high-rises near the waterfront.

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/pro ... eration-thamesmead-estate

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0d3837c8-1b ... e3-b678-00144feab7de.html

Posted on: 2015/6/6 10:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Is 07310 and FAB twins?

Statistics are scary for some, but when you have a friend that's a senior lecturer on sociology that has also spent years studying criminology, I'm more inclined to take their analysis / word on the topic then anyone on JClist!

Have a read - Here in JC, we're just repeating the same mistakes as other MAJOR cities here and abroad are bulldozing their high-rise apartment complexes.

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/medi ... ad-we-must-create-streets

Posted on: 2015/6/6 6:07

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/6/6 6:28:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Is 07310 and FAB twins?

Posted on: 2015/6/6 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I believe robberies and burglaries will only increase and become the norm as the number of high density housing increases regardless if its luxury apartments or not. Eventually like in the 'low income estates', these high-rise luxury apartments will need to employ security 24/7 if they haven't already.

However I believe its also a beacon for criminals - Why rob a woman from the ghetto with a Target bag when you can get a Louis Vuitton bag for the same effort from another woman from Newport / Paul Hook / DTJC or why would you steal a beaten up Chev when you can get a Lexus a few blocks away and score a bigger return for your efforts!

Are FAB and Yvonne the same person?

Posted on: 2015/6/5 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

However I believe its also a beacon for criminals - Why rob a woman from the ghetto with a Target bag when you can get a Louis Vuitton bag for the same effort from another woman from Newport / Paul Hook / DTJC or why would you steal a beaten up Chev when you can get a Lexus a few blocks away and score a bigger return for your efforts!

Three reasons. First, many of these ghetto thugs are very territorial. If a man walks through the ghetto with expensive accessories, the thug's justification is along the lines of You think you can walk into my hood with this? Get outta here. So they believe the victim brought it upon themselves.

Second, a harsh truth is that the police expect more crime in ghetto areas than nice areas, and thugs know this. Meaning they are more likely to get away with it. Police will put in less effort in investigating, there's typically less surveillance around so it's actually harder to meaningfully investigate. So they actually do get away with it more than if they freaked out everyone in a rich area.

Finally, many ghetto communities do not have witnesses who come forward. Mainly due to the snitches get stitches mentality. So if the police tried asking around, in the event they could actually find a witness he'd just say he didn't see anything. Part of the reason for this is because those who do speak up can face massive retaliation from the ghetto thugs so people with a sense of self preservation correctly figure it's best to stay silent.

None of these factors exist in nicer communities, so I think FAB is completely wrong. Not to mention if crime really did become intolerable in the nice areas with luxury apartments, people would just move. Our useless media would label that "white flight," but it makes a whole lot of sense.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I believe robberies and burglaries will only increase and become the norm as the number of high density housing increases regardless if its luxury apartments or not. Eventually like in the 'low income estates', these high-rise luxury apartments will need to employ security 24/7 if they haven't already.

Still lost FAB. This crime wasn't near a lux apartment as far as I can tell. Want to start a new thread?

Posted on: 2015/6/5 8:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/5 8:15
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I often wonder what JC has actually created with all the high-rise luxury apartments is a beacon of wealth for criminals - With State laws and jurisdictions, it becomes a nightmare of red tap to go after individuals across the Hudson.

It's a change of crime demographics when NJ / JC crooks would venture into manhattan and rob the wealthy, then escape across the border (hudson) where the NYPD would have to seek our local police for assistance giving crooks ample time the disappear.

What in God's green earth are you trying to say? This meandering post was pretty much unintelligible...

Does this quote help you comprehend?

It is fairly well established (Institute of Criminology) that crime concentrates with respect to space (hotspots), victims (repeat victimisation) and offenders (prolific offenders) regardless of social and financial demographics .........

Can you tie that to the OP for us? Can't see the connection...

Posted on: 2015/6/5 7:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I often wonder what JC has actually created with all the high-rise luxury apartments is a beacon of wealth for criminals - With State laws and jurisdictions, it becomes a nightmare of red tap to go after individuals across the Hudson.

It's a change of crime demographics when NJ / JC crooks would venture into manhattan and rob the wealthy, then escape across the border (hudson) where the NYPD would have to seek our local police for assistance giving crooks ample time the disappear.

What in God's green earth are you trying to say? This meandering post was pretty much unintelligible...

Does this quote help you comprehend?

It is fairly well established (Institute of Criminology) that crime concentrates with respect to space (hotspots), victims (repeat victimisation) and offenders (prolific offenders) regardless of social and financial demographics .........

Posted on: 2015/6/5 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

(This is another JJ comment on the robbery... just wanted to post it here to show how a neighborhood got together and did something positive.)(well maybe not for the horny johns)

Quote:
That area around Journal Square was never too bad. The only problem was years ago when the Mayflower Hotel (now a Ramada ) on Tonnelle Avenue was a haven for prostitutes. They would hang out at a little park on Garrison and Pavonia called Triangle Park.

People on those little side streets would wake up to rubbers and other nasty things on their sidewalks and in their ally?s. A couple of neighbors got together and got everyone in the neighborhood involved in an effort to clean up the area working with the city and with the police. The city removed the benches from the park. The police started to set up stings to catch the johns. The area was really cleaned up after a few of those stings. As I recall the Jersey Journal wrote a piece about the grassroots clean-up.

That was a perfect example of a neighborhood getting fed up and doing something about it. We need much more of that in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/4 9:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/4 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

jj comment:

Quote:
?The man fled the scene, then got into a dark colored SUV that was parked on the Southeast corner of Romaine Avenue and Pavonia Avenue.?

Not a bad area?there is some public housing on Van Wagenen but it is usually quiet.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 20:01

Jersey City woman robbed at gunpoint, police say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Melissa Bilecky | The Jersey Journal

An 18-year-old Jersey City woman was robbed at gunpoint Tuesday night on Romaine Avenue in Jersey City, according to a police report.

Just before 10:20 p.m., the woman walking on street when she was grabbed from behind by a man, whom she says was wearing dark clothing, police said.

When the man said something to her, she turned around and saw he was pointing a gun in her face. He then reached for her shopping bag, the report stated.

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/3 19:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017