Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: France Proposes to Ban Food Waste in Grocery Stores
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yay. starbucks plans to donate all of its unsold food by 2020.
good news. i wish they could move up the timetable.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2 ... alvageable-food/82155312/

Posted on: 2016/3/23 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Very ironic proposal in a country where asking a restaurant for a doggie bag is frowned upon.

More or less along the same vein, I once came across a supremely ironic line that really captures the dichotomy of this here in the US:

In the US we are fighting a war on both hunger and obesity.

PS - And, to make the topic more "local", consider this: the South Bronx is widely considered to have some of the most severe hunger-related problems, as well as one of the highest rates of obesity in the US.

I wonder if we are wrong in using the word hunger, and should be using a phrase like 'lack of heathful foods' or 'alternatives to cheap carbs' (which aren't cheap, because I think a pound of chips is a lot more expensive than a pound of fruit).

A couple of thoughts:

1. You are confusing your issues. The war on hunger is not the same as the issue of poor nutritional choices. It may surprise some people (apparently you being one of them, by your suggestion to reframe the war on hunger as "lack of healthful foods") to learn that some people in the US actually go hungry on a REGULAR BASIS. In fact, the MAIN reason why NYC is so unwilling to close down schools, even during extreme weather situations, is because for many poor kids attending public schools, their free breakfasts and lunches may be the only hot meals they may get that day, and for some they may be the only meals, period.

2. While there is no doubt some people make bad nutritional choices, that is a whole different issue. By the way, most of those "poor choices" are not based on some calculated idea of the outright value per pound of carb vs. fruit or veggies, but rather it is all about calories. While fruits, veggies and other items are demonstrative healthier choices, fast food and some of those cheap foods are, per dollar spent, more caloric, and when you are dealing with having a kid go hungry, or not, poor parents will choose the food items that (short term) are a better choice that fits within their budget. Even poor parents can be savvy consumers, even if those choices come with long term consequences. When you are struggling, you don't have the luxury of taking the long view.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Very ironic proposal in a country where asking a restaurant for a doggie bag is frowned upon.

More or less along the same vein, I once came across a supremely ironic line that really captures the dichotomy of this here in the US:

PS - And, to make the topic more "local", consider this: the South Bronx is widely considered to have some of the most severe hunger-related problems, as well as one of the highest rates of obesity in the US.

I wonder if we are wrong in using the word hunger, and should be using a phrase like 'lack of heathful foods' or 'alternatives to cheap carbs' (which aren't cheap, because I think a pound of chips is a lot more expensive than a pound of fruit).

Coincidentally, a very old JdS friend is visiting from France. We decided that I wouldn't suggest solutions to France's social problems and he wouldn't suggest solutions to ours. Now we have nothing to talk about - LOL

Posted on: 2015/5/25 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

perhaps states sghould pass laws that absolve the retailer from fault if the purchaser buys damged/expired food. here's something about loblaw of canada which discounts some of its "unsaleable" food

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/22/ ... rong-approach-say-experts

Posted on: 2015/5/23 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/22 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/22 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I caught this documentary a while ago about the whole concept of "freegans" - those that dumpster dive in supermarkets to eat.

It's eye opening to be certain and worth your time. It was produced by a student and very well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ln0sbbobUA

Posted on: 2015/5/22 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I think this is a misguided gesture by the French Assembly. While it is true that there is a lot of wasted food in the world, you can't just address that issue by forcing supermarkets to donate food that is already spoiled. Certainly, some food past its stated/printed expiration date is still safe to eat/consume, but that also gets tricky. As for putting the onus of food safety on the consumer, I think that is a slippery slope. Once you make it possible/legal for a consumer to buy expired item, what is next? "Hey, this fish is slightly spoiled, but hey, season it well, and it will taste ok" or "you can buy food from this section where it is prepared with clean utensils, and stored in clean containers, or you can buy from this other section, where utensils and containers are washed weekly, and the employees don't have to bother with gloves, hair nets, etc., and we pass on the savings to you!". Food safety is here for good reasons, some of them historical ones that people fail to grasp.

As for supermarkets in the US, you are always free to go dumpster diving. Or, the modern, urban version, which is essentially free outdoors shopping. What do I mean? Go to any Trader Joe's and figure out the date/time when they put out their trash of "expired" meats, chicken, groceries, etc. I have seen people line up at the TJs on Atlantic Avenue, right after closing (on trash collection nights) when they put out their bins with expired food. It is like shopping outdoors. People go through the contents of the bins and walk away with perfectly good food that happens to be "expired". Sometimes I see it as something sad, and sometimes I see it as savvy people that are saving a ton of money.
lots of food is still quite good after the sell-by date. in fact, i have had stuff (processed foods) in my fridge for like 5 years after the sell-by date. instead of tossing bread, why not mark it down 50-75% off - some shoprites in other states do this but you have toget to the store late-ish

Because the risk of getting sued by a customer who buys marked down "expired" food and gets sick is too great.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
There are several organizations in place that accept food to reduce the food waste issue. However, food safety is at the top of their priorities to maintain the health of their end users.

Donation guidelines are very strict:

City Harvest

Wasted Food

NYC Food Donor Resource Guide (Interesting!)

Food Bank for NYC

Indeed, the donation guidelines are SUPER strict. People always assume that these food banks can, and will, accept ANY food. Alas, that is not the case. In general, food that is already prepared and which has already been offered to the public can not be donated. So, most of those companies in midtown that do catered lunches for employees and/or meetings can't donate their leftovers (which sometimes go completely untouched, as meetings can sometimes get cancelled at the last minute) and that food goes straight into the trash. Imagine if, with enough safeguards in place, all these food establishment around NYC could donate ALL of their unsold food?

Posted on: 2015/5/22 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I think this is a misguided gesture by the French Assembly. While it is true that there is a lot of wasted food in the world, you can't just address that issue by forcing supermarkets to donate food that is already spoiled. Certainly, some food past its stated/printed expiration date is still safe to eat/consume, but that also gets tricky. As for putting the onus of food safety on the consumer, I think that is a slippery slope. Once you make it possible/legal for a consumer to buy expired item, what is next? "Hey, this fish is slightly spoiled, but hey, season it well, and it will taste ok" or "you can buy food from this section where it is prepared with clean utensils, and stored in clean containers, or you can buy from this other section, where utensils and containers are washed weekly, and the employees don't have to bother with gloves, hair nets, etc., and we pass on the savings to you!". Food safety is here for good reasons, some of them historical ones that people fail to grasp.

As for supermarkets in the US, you are always free to go dumpster diving. Or, the modern, urban version, which is essentially free outdoors shopping. What do I mean? Go to any Trader Joe's and figure out the date/time when they put out their trash of "expired" meats, chicken, groceries, etc. I have seen people line up at the TJs on Atlantic Avenue, right after closing (on trash collection nights) when they put out their bins with expired food. It is like shopping outdoors. People go through the contents of the bins and walk away with perfectly good food that happens to be "expired". Sometimes I see it as something sad, and sometimes I see it as savvy people that are saving a ton of money.
lots of food is still quite good after the sell-by date. in fact, i have had stuff (processed foods) in my fridge for like 5 years after the sell-by date. instead of tossing bread, why not mark it down 50-75% off - some shoprites in other states do this but you have toget to the store late-ish

Posted on: 2015/5/22 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/22 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
There are several organizations in place that accept food to reduce the food waste issue. However, food safety is at the top of their priorities to maintain the health of their end users.

Donation guidelines are very strict:

City Harvest

Wasted Food

NYC Food Donor Resource Guide (Interesting!)

Food Bank for NYC

Posted on: 2015/5/22 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The food is disposed of because it is spoiled or is past the expired date.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 15:19

France Proposes to Ban Food Waste in Grocery Stores
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i think supermarkets in the us should be required to do the same. it's ridiculous how much food supermarkets throw away..why don't they donate the food or discount expired food (with liability on the buyer).

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/ ... -food-to-charities-farms/

Posted on: 2015/5/22 13:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017