Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City councilman wants private entity to 'take over' Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i agree about the lack of shade trees and have complained about that before, but someone pointed out that there are no/few trees due to ground contamination.

I don't buy that explanation, hero69. If the ground was so contaminated, it wouldn't be open to the public. And, there ARE trees planted all over the park, just small trees and in areas that are not necessarily where people would congregate (perimeter of grass areas, etc.). The last time I brought this up, I was told that the trees that are planted are expected to grow and become shade trees. Well, it's been nine years since I arrived in JC, and those trees are sure taking a long time to become shade trees. :)

They really should have invested in, and planted, more mature, fuller trees.

Environmental conditions that are less than ideal for large trees aren?t necessarily dangerous to our health.

The contamination we all talk about comes from the construction fill that was originally used to build rail beds out of brackish marshland, and then a century of messy train and rail yard operation. A layer of sand and topsoil was added to create the public areas of LSP, so exposure to the material below is probably minimal and may not be much of a factor. However, while I don?t have any expertise in soil or trees, I would be surprised if mature hardwood trees would have been able to thrive in a recently added layer of soil, even if the money existed to buy and plant them.

As far as the interior portions of the site go, there?s more information than any of us would want to know in a dissertation written by Francis Gallagher in 2008:

https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/24382/pdf/1/

I don't discount the possibility of contamination (after all, the park was historically a messy pit of contamination and there was no stewardship of the land) but I find it hard to believe that the soil couldn't be remediated enough to be able to plant larger trees. If it is true that we can't look forward to larger trees that can provide shade, then the park will always remain underutilized. In a sunny Summer day, you would get burnt to a crisp even if wearing sunscreen after prolonged exposure.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 15:32

Re: Jersey City councilman wants private entity to 'take over' Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i agree about the lack of shade trees and have complained about that before, but someone pointed out that there are no/few trees due to ground contamination.

I don't buy that explanation, hero69. If the ground was so contaminated, it wouldn't be open to the public. And, there ARE trees planted all over the park, just small trees and in areas that are not necessarily where people would congregate (perimeter of grass areas, etc.). The last time I brought this up, I was told that the trees that are planted are expected to grow and become shade trees. Well, it's been nine years since I arrived in JC, and those trees are sure taking a long time to become shade trees. :)

They really should have invested in, and planted, more mature, fuller trees.

Environmental conditions that are less than ideal for large trees aren?t necessarily dangerous to our health.

The contamination we all talk about comes from the construction fill that was originally used to build rail beds out of brackish marshland, and then a century of messy train and rail yard operation. A layer of sand and topsoil was added to create the public areas of LSP, so exposure to the material below is probably minimal and may not be much of a factor. However, while I don?t have any expertise in soil or trees, I would be surprised if mature hardwood trees would have been able to thrive in a recently added layer of soil, even if the money existed to buy and plant them.

As far as the interior portions of the site go, there?s more information than any of us would want to know in a dissertation written by Francis Gallagher in 2008:

https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/24382/pdf/1/

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The administrations goal is to finance private development of LSP? Er, no.

And, for the tenth time, the votes in favor of this legislation were overwhelmingly Democrat in favor, Republicans against. Rising Hudson County Democrat Prieto led the bill to the table.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 11:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Bill seeks to lift control ofJersey City's Liberty State Park  from  sports agency

Thursday, May 21, 2015

By SCOTT FALLON STAFF WRITER |The Record

The continuing battle over control of development along Liberty State Park's prized waterfront has taken another turn: One of New Jersey's top lawmakers has sponsored a bill that would once again change who oversees those efforts.

The Christie administration has spent almost a year developing plans to attract private interests to Liberty State Park, long viewed by the governor as an untapped revenue source with its panoramic views of the Hudson River, New York City and the Statue of Liberty.

The power to make decisions about development at the park had been given to the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority under a controversial piece of legislation added at the last minute by Christie staffers and fast-tracked through Trenton days before Christmas.

Now, a bill by Senate President Stephen Sweeney would return all development powers at the park to the Department of Environmental Protection, which oversees the state park system. Although Governor Christie would be likely to veto it, Sweeney's bill could disrupt the administration's goal of helping to finance private development at the park in Jersey City.

Park advocates welcomed the new legislation.

Read more:  http://www.northjersey.com/news/envir ... m-sports-agency-1.1339527

Posted on: 2015/5/21 6:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
hell no! the marina is not just pretty boats bobbing up and down in the water, its acres of open space lost to the parking lots, and marine repair and storage.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I can't argue that the boats up on blocks looks a little "blighty". But I would imagine most of us could agree that the marina itself, with the boats in the water and passing by, adds some nice nautical ambiance, no? It's actually a very nice and well maintained marina. I wonder if the boats on dry dock/storage can be hidden behind shrubbery or fencing...

Posted on: 2015/5/20 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Liberty State Park
(Compiled by Friends of Liberty State Park)
History of grassroots battles against commercialization and privatization plans.
In the years preceding LSP?s opening (6/14/76), in the 38 statewide public hearings in
the late 1970?s, and in many grassroots battles, tens of 1000's of citizens, and
Coalitions of local, regional, and statewide organizations overwhelmingly advocated
for a free and green, non-commercialized, non-privatized Liberty State Park for
people and nature.

Battles after 1984, were against the internal LSP Development Corporation?s
plans
1. 1977 - Amusement theme park
2. 1981 - Amusement theme park and 8,000 luxury condos
3. 1980-1982 - Historic CRRNJ Terminal plan for a doll museum
4. 1986 - Commercial amphitheater with 25,000 seats.
5. 1991 - 225 acre golf course (plan introduced with no public hearing in 1986).
6. 1992-1995 - 150 acre golf course
7. 2000-2001 - Commercial waterpark
8. Spring 2001 - NJDEP says no to Dev Corp push for commercial amphitheater
and 20 commercial concerts. People express opposition to amphitheater plan through
Summer. DEP says Dev Corp is free to re-submit plan but there will be public
hearings.
9. Fall -Winter 2001 - NJDEP says No to Dev Corp plan for commercial concert
series for Summer 2002, including summer weekend concerts. People express
opposition. Dev Corp tries to get Acting Gov Donald DiFrancesco to approve it over
the head of DEP.
The Termination of the source of commercial plans, the LSP Development Corp.
April 22, 2002 - Dev Corp responded to DEP Com. Brad Campbell's April 3 letter
(stating that the Dev Corp's direction doesn't coincide with the mission of LSP).
The Dev Corp declared its intention to push more major commercial proposals:
- Commercial amphitheater(euphemistically called Performing Arts Center) which
would have weekend commercial concerts causing unpreventable traffic jams
blocking public access to working families, seniors, etc. coming to use park for free
uses.
- Fancy strip mall of commercial "venues" between Liberty Science Center &
Terminal.
- Commercial attractions under the shed of the CRRNJ Terminal.
April 24, 2003 - The Dev Corp was terminated by Gov. McGreevey after a Coalition
letter from 30 organizations, and 5000 postcards were sent. The Dev Corp delayed
park progress, and wasted the public's time fighting their destructive commercial
plans.
1988-1996 ? Battle against private marina with law suits. The Master Plan included a
small public marina. NJDEP sided with the Dev Corp. Two restaurants included.
Spring 2001 ? Cirque du Soleil, with OK from Gov (over the head of the DEP). In
LSP for 75 days, causing Spring weekend traffic jams, discouraging/blocking public
access.
In 2005, Friends of LSP stopped plan for a ?Millionaire?s Marina? at LSP?s Souh
End.
2010 ? FOLSP opposition to Formula 1 speedway in LSP; within week, Mayor ends
plan.
2011 ? FOLSP opposes renting LSP land for solar panels where recreation field
planned.

There are other attempts since this, no I am not in favor of a private corporation taking over the park.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I can't argue that the boats up on blocks looks a little "blighty". But I would imagine most of us could agree that the marina itself, with the boats in the water and passing by, adds some nice nautical ambiance, no? It's actually a very nice and well maintained marina. I wonder if the boats on dry dock/storage can be hidden behind shrubbery or fencing...

Posted on: 2015/5/20 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
for that eyesore, you can blame privatization.

why commercialize open public space? its precious.

Quote:

bluehorse wrote:

If we're finding faults with LSP status quo, let me add the eyesore boat graveyard as you enter the park. What is that about? Why are these guys allowed to treat that parcel like a junkyard? Totally degrades the 'oasis' feeling.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 17:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/29 18:54
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bluehorse wrote:
...If we're finding faults with LSP status quo, let me add the eyesore boat graveyard as you enter the park. What is that about? Why are these guys allowed to treat that parcel like a junkyard? Totally degrades the 'oasis' feeling.

Are you talking about the Marina that has boats out of the water for the winter or for repairs?

Posted on: 2015/5/20 16:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Totally agree with bodhipooh as well. It's time for change. Privatization can still mean free and open to the public. Central Park Conservancy is a private, NONPROFIT org that runs Central Park. If all we had to was to put wealthy donors' names on benches in return for beautiful landscaping, I'm all for it.

If we're finding faults with LSP status quo, let me add the eyesore boat graveyard as you enter the park. What is that about? Why are these guys allowed to treat that parcel like a junkyard? Totally degrades the 'oasis' feeling.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree totally with bodhipooh. Something like a Shake Shack with outdoor seating in LSP would without a doubt do extremely well and would be very appropriate.

Another thing that comes to mind is the large park in the museum area of Amsterdam, where you have sort of a row of 6-10 food vendors (very quick serve, sandwiches, coffee, waffles with ice cream, etc) with metal outdoor tables and chairs. This sort of thing would be awesome near the ferries/Railroad Terminal/9-11 Monument.

The two restaurants (Maritime Parc and Liberty House) would generally not be attended by anybody who was actually USING the park (ie, wearing athletic or at least very comfortable/not dressy attire).

But yes as it stands, Liberty State Park should be an absolute crown jewel of Jersey City, and it's overwhelmingly meh in my opinion. Thrilled to have it nearby, but it could be so, so much nicer given the proper attention, creative ideas, and execution.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
You do put in at the "cartop boat launch" at the last lot, not the trailer launch, right?

This is embarrassing, but I have NO IDEA what you are referring to here! Is there another place to launch besides the ramp at the westernmost tip of the channel?? If so, that's news to me. :o

Quote:

brewster wrote:
I grew up sailing on LI and long ago stopped getting angry at ignorant inconsiderate powerboaters. It's like getting angry at the weather, and just as unavoidable. If NJ drivers have no clue what to do at a multiway stop, why should you expect the same idiot in a boat to know the "rules of the road"?

You are, of course, correct. But, I find it disappointing all the same. When it comes to General Aviation, pilots are highly regulated and subjected to all kinds of rules, regulations, expectations and, as a group, they do an excellent job policing themselves. I wish it was the same way with sailing and all seafaring activities. If GA pilots acted like powerboaters, they would be grounded in no time, and their licenses suspended.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sampesin wrote:
Thanks to Terrence McDonald of the Jersey Journal for reporting Councilman Boggiano's uninformed and dead wrong recommendation for the privatization of Liberty State Park. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _to_tak.html#incart_river

My comments posted after that nj.com story as Friends of LSP president and son of Morris Pesin, the park's "father" are:
In addition to the Councilman wanting the state to give up LSP to a private entity - casting aside 39 years of the broad public consensus for a free and green urban open space park - he complained about a few things which the story mostly addresses. LSP is a beautiful open space park used mostly by the urban people for the quality of our lives. Of 5 and a half million LSP visitors annually, about 700,000 use the ferries and about 500,000 go to Liberty Science Center and the rest come to the park to enjoy a variety of unstructured recreation. Regarding the bathroom near the temporary ticket window, that undersized facility serves about 5000 people each weekend and the maintenance department, as understaffed as it is, cleans it 3 times a day. When the Terminal reopens in the fall after a $10 million reconstruction after Sandy, those bathrooms will better serve the public. Regarding long lines for the ferries to Lady Liberty and Ellis Island - since 9/11, the security checks by the National Park Service slows the line way down and the line is shorter than in Battery Park, and Americans and people from around the world expect lines getting to any major tourist attraction. About food choices, as someone suggested, people may and do bring picnics to the park if they want something in between the two excellent park restaurants and the hot dog carts and there is also Liberty Cafe Diner at the southwest corner of the park.The Friends of LSP have led many grassroots battles against privatization with our main ally, The NY/NJ Baykeeper and with groups and people from our county and state,in addition to funding over 800 trees (they aren't planted in the key view sheds toward Lady Liberty) and creating and maintaining over a dozen gardens. The DEP and Governor's privatizers will reveal their privatization plans probably this summer, after their major search for privatization plans, and a new grassroots movement will be needed to protect the park from commercialization and privatization. LSP is important for the quality of life of the urban people, and the park needs the state to support LSP as an American landmark, a free park behind Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. To get on the Friends email list, please see the top right of our website www.folsp.org

I wonder if we are seeing something similar to what played out with the Loew's Theatre. I don't think anyone can deny that FoLSP has done a GREAT job in protecting and preserving the park. But, what was once needed may not be so applicable now. Your group made sure that park was saved, then restored, but it is now stagnating (in my opinion) and I think it could use some new ideas. To say that the park has eating options and then speak of two upscale restaurants, two hot dog carts, and a diner outside its borders, smacks of tone deafness. I wouldn't be caught dead at that dreadful looking diner, and wouldn't even think about buying a dirty water dog from a cart. And, honestly, when out and about for a day, it would be nice to be able to grab a bite (sandwich, burger, etc) with a drink or coffee without having to resort to an upscale restaurant (which, btw, are they even open during the day? I will have to check.)

I don't want to see the park become some commercial wasteland, but the park is definitely lacking amenities, and it could be that with carefully managed commercial additions (two or three food purveyors, in a tastefully done building/structure, perhaps with a few tables and umbrellas) would make it possible for visitors and families to actually come and STAY for longer periods. If someone is not familiar with the park, they wouldn't know to pack a lunch/picnic.

I am an avid park user, and used to run there daily, and I have to say that I think the park is under performing. Most of the people I see visiting come by tourist coach/bus to go see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and leave once done. Other visitors seem to come, spend an hour or two, probably get hungry, or tired from the beating sun, and leave. There has to be a way to make the park more accessible for all residents of DTJC. The light rail station is over half a mile away from Freedom Way, and a full mile to the waterfront area. Some people can't, or don't want to, walk that kind of distance. The new rat/stinky/rape bridge is a HUGE improvement over what was there before, but getting to it is a pain from DTJC, even by light rail (closest station is quite a walk) and once inside the park, is the same deal: half mile to Freedom Way, mile to waterfront.

Could it be that FoLSP (much like FoL) is slowly becoming an obstacle to a grander vision? Ultimately, preserving the park is a noble effort, but it must also gain relevance if it is to serve its purpose as an urban oasis.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Unfortunately, what Monroe describes has been my experience all too often in the channel leading out of the southern ramp. On many occasions, some teenage (or, early 20-something) jockey at the helm of the Liberty National ferry must have been feeling the pressure to get his passengers to the club in a jiffy, because I have been on the wrong end of his wake many, many times. Sometimes, as I watch them speeding inside the channel area, I try to make my presence known by signaling, but it has been in vain. As a former midshipman and licensed Coast Guard sailor, I feel like I know enough about the "rules of the road" when it comes to sailing and waterways, but I find those are mostly ignored in this area. I see lots of entitled assholes driving their powered boats and watercraft like complete idiots, oblivious to those around them. It's a small miracle we don't see more accidents and incidents in the waters around NYC.

All that is true. But it's still a relatively low traffic area compared to the N end where there's numerous ferry lines running more frequently and not restricted to channels. At the S launch all you have to do is paddle across the channel and keep going to get away from the ferries. You do put in at the "cartop boat launch" at the last lot, not the trailer launch, right?

I grew up sailing on LI and long ago stopped getting angry at ignorant inconsiderate powerboaters. It's like getting angry at the weather, and just as unavoidable. If NJ drivers have no clue what to do at a multiway stop, why should you expect the same idiot in a boat to know the "rules of the road"? Last week on the Raritan a trolling boat on an intersecting course got so close to me that that they could hear my "what the fuck!" over their engine.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the only thing I would add to my wish list is for a small launch ramp in the northern area for people to be able to launch a kayak or canoe.

Actually, the paddling is more pleasant from the southern kayak launch because there's very little boat traffic down there relative to the marinas and ferries at the N end. You can paddle miles S to Staten I and never encounter another craft. There's only occasional slow moving barges and such.

I think the tree problem has to do with the landfill nature of the soil. There's a thin layer of crappy topsoil over fast draining fill. It appears to me it can't hold enough water for the planted trees to thrive. It can barely sustain the crabgrass on the open fields.

The ship that ferries the Wall Streeter's to Liberty National moves at a pretty good clip right past there, often. And you get the occasional jet skier zooming like lunatics during the summer as well.

Unfortunately, what Monroe describes has been my experience all too often in the channel leading out of the southern ramp. On many occasions, some teenage (or, early 20-something) jockey at the helm of the Liberty National ferry must have been feeling the pressure to get his passengers to the club in a jiffy, because I have been on the wrong end of his wake many, many times. Sometimes, as I watch them speeding inside the channel area, I try to make my presence known by signaling, but it has been in vain. As a former midshipman and licensed Coast Guard sailor, I feel like I know enough about the "rules of the road" when it comes to sailing and waterways, but I find those are mostly ignored in this area. I see lots of entitled assholes driving their powered boats and watercraft like complete idiots, oblivious to those around them. It's a small miracle we don't see more accidents and incidents in the waters around NYC.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the only thing I would add to my wish list is for a small launch ramp in the northern area for people to be able to launch a kayak or canoe.

Actually, the paddling is more pleasant from the southern kayak launch because there's very little boat traffic down there relative to the marinas and ferries at the N end. You can paddle miles S to Staten I and never encounter another craft. There's only occasional slow moving barges and such.

I think the tree problem has to do with the landfill nature of the soil. There's a thin layer of crappy topsoil over fast draining fill. It appears to me it can't hold enough water for the planted trees to thrive. It can barely sustain the crabgrass on the open fields.

The ship that ferries the Wall Streeter's to Liberty National moves at a pretty good clip right past there, often. And you get the occasional jet skier zooming like lunatics during the summer as well.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 22:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to Terrence McDonald of the Jersey Journal for reporting Councilman Boggiano's uninformed and dead wrong recommendation for the privatization of Liberty State Park. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _to_tak.html#incart_river

My comments posted after that nj.com story as Friends of LSP president and son of Morris Pesin, the park's "father" are:
In addition to the Councilman wanting the state to give up LSP to a private entity - casting aside 39 years of the broad public consensus for a free and green urban open space park - he complained about a few things which the story mostly addresses. LSP is a beautiful open space park used mostly by the urban people for the quality of our lives. Of 5 and a half million LSP visitors annually, about 700,000 use the ferries and about 500,000 go to Liberty Science Center and the rest come to the park to enjoy a variety of unstructured recreation. Regarding the bathroom near the temporary ticket window, that undersized facility serves about 5000 people each weekend and the maintenance department, as understaffed as it is, cleans it 3 times a day. When the Terminal reopens in the fall after a $10 million reconstruction after Sandy, those bathrooms will better serve the public. Regarding long lines for the ferries to Lady Liberty and Ellis Island - since 9/11, the security checks by the National Park Service slows the line way down and the line is shorter than in Battery Park, and Americans and people from around the world expect lines getting to any major tourist attraction. About food choices, as someone suggested, people may and do bring picnics to the park if they want something in between the two excellent park restaurants and the hot dog carts and there is also Liberty Cafe Diner at the southwest corner of the park.The Friends of LSP have led many grassroots battles against privatization with our main ally, The NY/NJ Baykeeper and with groups and people from our county and state,in addition to funding over 800 trees (they aren't planted in the key view sheds toward Lady Liberty) and creating and maintaining over a dozen gardens. The DEP and Governor's privatizers will reveal their privatization plans probably this summer, after their major search for privatization plans, and a new grassroots movement will be needed to protect the park from commercialization and privatization. LSP is important for the quality of life of the urban people, and the park needs the state to support LSP as an American landmark, a free park behind Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. To get on the Friends email list, please see the top right of our website www.folsp.org

Posted on: 2015/5/19 22:05

Edited by sampesin on 2015/5/19 22:30:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/19 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree about the trees. I always kind of assumed (or maybe somebody said this at some point) that it's because the vision for the park was to have it be open so that users can enjoy the views of the skyline and the Statue from anywhere within the park. While I think that is a nice sentiment, I feel that the areas closest to the water should remain open and free of large trees, but the innermost parts of the park would be much, much nicer if there were beautiful, big mature trees providing shade and aesthetics.

As it stands, the only thing nice about LSP is the views (and they are, obviously, really great). The park itself is just open fields and asphalt paths and goose poop. Really far from a world class park (which it actually does have the potential to be).

Posted on: 2015/5/19 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
My one complaint about LSP is the lack of shade trees. I think the park would be much more inviting and pleasant for visitors if it had shaded areas and bigger trees. The northern area with grills is devoid of those and, if the Sun is out in full force, it can get pretty harsh. As for unpaved roads, I have NO IDEA what Boggiano is referring to, as the main North-South roads (Freedom Way and Phillip St) are both fairly smooth and well paved. Audrey Zapp is (thankfully) a brick road, which forces people to slow down as they enter the park. If anything, I wish they would turn Freedom Way into a brick road!! People LOVE to speed on Freedom Way (I run on it, and it can be scary at times) but the Park Police barely bothers enforcing speed limits.

They really should have invested in, and planted, more mature, fuller trees. As for the rest of the park, I am actually quite impressed with it. It is kept remarkably clean (during weekends, you often see cleaning crews walking around checking on the garbage cans and emptying them out) and I do like the overall size and wide open spaces. I agree with everything Monroe said (admin building is indeed very clean) and the only thing I would add to my wish list is for a small launch ramp in the northern area for people to be able to launch a kayak or canoe.
you are probably right; i wish there were more trees too. that's why i head over to central, prospect or hudson river parks instead of lsp

Posted on: 2015/5/19 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I will chime in and say that it IS redunculous that the hole at the river side end of that huge expensive fiasco monument is STILL NOT REPAIRED. Note to LSP: It is NOT O.K. that you have ignored this eyesore for as long as you have (is it two years now?) all it takes is filling in the hole and cementing over it. Oh you are looking at some long term solution to river erosion before you commit money? THATS RIDICULOUS patch the hole with cement for now. Why are we even talking about this?

Posted on: 2015/5/19 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Friends of Liberty State Park have raised money to plant trees, some were lost to Sandy, they also plant over 20,000 bulbs every fall. The state has neglected the park in my opinion. Do you remember when a child fell in a hole at the park? Personally, I don't trust a private entity to run the park but I am disappointed with the state. http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/2 ... _into_hudson_river_2.html

You conveniently left out that the mother of the child was obviously distracted, or negligent, or both. The hole was surrounded by barricades. The child slipped through the barricade and then fell into the hole. Perhaps the mother should have put away the phone and paid more attention to her toddler.

The decay around the edges has been going on for decades. They money the state collected from the restaurants and other businesses in the park should have been earmarked for maintenance. You don't ignore this and other holes.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Friends of Liberty State Park have raised money to plant trees, some were lost to Sandy, they also plant over 20,000 bulbs every fall. The state has neglected the park in my opinion. Do you remember when a child fell in a hole at the park? Personally, I don't trust a private entity to run the park but I am disappointed with the state. http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/2 ... _into_hudson_river_2.html

You conveniently left out that the mother of the child was obviously distracted, or negligent, or both. The hole was surrounded by barricades. The child slipped through the barricade and then fell into the hole. Perhaps the mother should have put away the phone and paid more attention to her toddler.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/19 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
only in nj would someone recommend that a private entity take over a public park!

http://www.centralparknyc.org/about/about-cpc/

Maybe Central Park Conservancy could serve as a model. For me, the problem would be getting people with real skills and a vision for the park and an understanding of its users to participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grounds_for_Sculpture
Here's a NJ example of a non-profit park that might serve as a model.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
My one complaint about LSP is the lack of shade trees. I think the park would be much more inviting and pleasant for visitors if it had shaded areas and bigger trees. The northern area with grills is devoid of those and, if the Sun is out in full force, it can get pretty harsh. As for unpaved roads, I have NO IDEA what Boggiano is referring to, as the main North-South roads (Freedom Way and Phillip St) are both fairly smooth and well paved. Audrey Zapp is (thankfully) a brick road, which forces people to slow down as they enter the park. If anything, I wish they would turn Freedom Way into a brick road!! People LOVE to speed on Freedom Way (I run on it, and it can be scary at times) but the Park Police barely bothers enforcing speed limits.

They really should have invested in, and planted, more mature, fuller trees. As for the rest of the park, I am actually quite impressed with it. It is kept remarkably clean (during weekends, you often see cleaning crews walking around checking on the garbage cans and emptying them out) and I do like the overall size and wide open spaces. I agree with everything Monroe said (admin building is indeed very clean) and the only thing I would add to my wish list is for a small launch ramp in the northern area for people to be able to launch a kayak or canoe.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The restrooms at the main admin building have always been quite clean; they could expand the little brick building on the north end of the park, but re-opening the Central Railroad building will address that. As far as the cobblestone road, keep it-as others say it keeps speeds down.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/19 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/19 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Its fine the way it is, if you want more food options bring a picnic like the rest of us do. Its a state park Liberty "State" Park.

Quote:
He added that he finds it "amazing" that the historic Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal Building, battered in 2012 during Hurricane Sandy, remains closed.

This however I agree with, I would go a step further and say get the trains running again to the Jersey Shore.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 11:52

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017