Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Charter Schools Claim They’re Being Shortchanged by State
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Oyster wrote:
Again this is not the truth about the motivation as to why the young man was there. I know the facts and as I said before to suggest he was an emotional pawn is not correct. I think your judgement is a little emotional on this point.

Nope. Cold facts. JC overall gets 76% of its budget from Trenton, and 16% from local taxpayers. Two of the JC charters I could research, Golden Door and JC Community, are at 72/20% and 70/21%, which given that JC schools have 10% of students 'classified' and the two charter school 'classified' population at 5% and 2% explains the slight difference in state aid. I'd imagine that the ESL population is also much greater in the regular JC schools.

So any funding disadvantage is simply not true on a percentage basis.

The fourth grader really should be speaking, if at all, down in front of JC City hall and ask why JC won't give more money, since they give so little now, to educating its own children.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 14:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/21 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Again this is not the truth about the motivation as to why the young man was there. I know the facts and as I said before to suggest he was an emotional pawn is not correct. I think your judgement is a little emotional on this point.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez, of course they trotted him out for the photo-op. Great PR. On the other hand, using the kid to proffer an argument that tries to use emotion rather than state laws is pretty disingenuous and deceitful. The judge made the decision based on existing law. I don't think it's possible for JC to squeeze any more money out of other NJ taxpayers than they already do.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 14:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/21 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
In response to Monroe saying that the young man speaking was a hysterical ploy I would say they should know more about the situation before making this accusation. I do know that "Trotted out" is not a fair representation of why he was there or why he wanted to say the things he did. As Treasurer of the student body he has an active interest in money available to the school and wanted to speak on behalf of the students.

In terms of justification for charter schools receiving half of what is usually determined needed for a child's education I would have to defer to others who know more. My impression is that these referenced statistics are not the reason, or at least enough of a reason, for such little funding.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 23:22
Group:
Registered Users
The funding differences exists prior to the formula being applied. That is, there is a huge difference in BASE per pupil funding, which is before weights for at-risk, ELL, and special ed. So the differences can't be explained away by demographic differences among the schools. In addition, Jersey City charter schools get substantially less base per pupil than Newark charter school students. Adjustment aid is not just "a factor" in Jersey City--it is 1/6 of the total school budget ($115 million of $665 million) and more than 25 percent of the total state aid to the school budget.

Also: JCPS itself has demographic differences among its schools. Take, for example, PS 16 and PS 17. PS 16 has approximately one-third of its students on free lunch, like TECCS, while PS 17 has approximately 3/4 of its students receiving free lunch. Would someone argue that PS 16 should get less BASE per pupil funding than PS 17?

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And here's a logical and non-hysterical (trotting out a kid to make your argument) explanation

The primary reason some charter schools receive less funding than others is because they have fewer students who qualify for Free & Reduced Price lunch, who are Limited English Proficient, and who have special needs.

The school funding formula allocates more aid for all three categories of students. The funding formula also allocates more aid to high schools and there are fewer charter high schools than district high schools.

The Ethical Community Charter School is one of four Jersey City charter schools whose student demographics are very different than the district's, with many fewer Free and Reduced Price lunch, Limited English Proficient, and special needs students. That is why they receive less funding than other Jersey City charter schools, whose student populations more accurately reflects those of the Jersey City school district.

The other three charter schools that have many fewer Free & Reduced Price lunch, Limited English Proficient and special needs students are Jersey City Global Charter School, Dr Lena Edwards Academic Charter School, and the Learning Community Charter School.

You can see how the demographics of these four charter schools compare to the other five Jersey City charter schools and to the Jersey City district schools, at this link:

http://www.saveourschoolsnj.org/save/ ... y-Charter-School-Data.pdf

Charter schools also do not receive adjustment aid, which is a factor in a few districts like Jersey City. It is not a factor in other districts, like Newark, which receive very little adjustment aid, or in Paterson or Plainfield, which receive no adjustment aid.

Sigh... damned, pesky facts sometimes get in the way.
But, yeah, why not? Let's blame the governor!

The education issue is very, very complex. And, anyone with knee-jerk reactions and jumping to conclusions is actually doing themselves and their "side" a disservice.

FAB's post brought to mind a wise quote (attributed to Lincoln, Twain, and several others):

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I saw this group go to City Hall for a resolution to support equal funding and I found this to be ridiculous. The state is not the problem, the problem is the city hall with tax abatements.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And here's a logical and non-hysterical (trotting out a kid to make your argument) explanation

The primary reason some charter schools receive less funding than others is because they have fewer students who qualify for Free & Reduced Price lunch, who are Limited English Proficient, and who have special needs.

The school funding formula allocates more aid for all three categories of students. The funding formula also allocates more aid to high schools and there are fewer charter high schools than district high schools.

The Ethical Community Charter School is one of four Jersey City charter schools whose student demographics are very different than the district's, with many fewer Free and Reduced Price lunch, Limited English Proficient, and special needs students. That is why they receive less funding than other Jersey City charter schools, whose student populations more accurately reflects those of the Jersey City school district.

The other three charter schools that have many fewer Free & Reduced Price lunch, Limited English Proficient and special needs students are Jersey City Global Charter School, Dr Lena Edwards Academic Charter School, and the Learning Community Charter School.

You can see how the demographics of these four charter schools compare to the other five Jersey City charter schools and to the Jersey City district schools, at this link:

http://www.saveourschoolsnj.org/save/ ... y-Charter-School-Data.pdf

Charter schools also do not receive adjustment aid, which is a factor in a few districts like Jersey City. It is not a factor in other districts, like Newark, which receive very little adjustment aid, or in Paterson or Plainfield, which receive no adjustment aid.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
From the linked article

Instead, they have said, some schools receive the equivalent of as little as 40 percent or 50 percent of per-pupil costs, as the state law precludes them from tapping into hundreds of millions of dollars in so-called transition or adjustment aid to the district.

I guess getting the law changed would be the answer, no?

Posted on: 2015/5/21 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Bridge-gate and now Charter-gate ... don't mess with the fat-man and if your Mayor crosses me, your city will suffer!

Posted on: 2015/5/21 5:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Jersey City Charter Schools Claim They’re Being Shortchanged by State
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Charter Schools Claim They’re Being Shortchanged by State

Posted on: 2015/5/21 5:31

[Advanced Search]

Login