Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Join us in Fixing the PATH (Directly reply to join)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I still think one of the important changes that has to happen to alleviate rush hour crowding is to extend the rush hour: Continue "frequent" service between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m., and between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. That's an easy fix that doesn't require more infrastructure.

Just requires negotiation with the railroad labor union. I'd bet there's a minimum and maximum number of hours you can have a crew on duty, and that the current rush service results from an overlap of the pre-rush crews and the post-rush crews. If you extend the rush you'll have to have one or both crews stay on duty longer, and probably longer than the negotiated labor rules currently allow. So maybe you could negotiate for longer shifts. Or maybe you could bring on extra crews (but you'd have to keep them on duty for a minimum of ___ hours, so you'd be running rush hour frequency for many more hours). Sounds great for riders but it would increase PATH's operating cost a ton. In this case, they probably think it better to cram riders on for an uncomfortable hour during the "fringe rush" times than increase operating cost by ___%.

I don't work for PATH nor do I know much about the mechanics of their operation, but this is a hypothesis (or a free excuse for PATH to start selling). Oh, the things you think about while waiting on a platform, or while your face is buried in someone's armpit on the 08:33 train out of Pavonia-Newport.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Was anyone able to attend the meeting at the Barrow Mansion? Was there anything of interest said?

Any discussion of the inevitable closing of the uptown PATH tunnels? It's going to have to happen. Didn't they get flooded too?

I still think one of the important changes that has to happen to alleviate rush hour crowding is to extend the rush hour: Continue "frequent" service between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m., and between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. That's an easy fix that doesn't require more infrastructure.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
So what was the outcome of the meeting at Barrow Mansion?

Posted on: 2014/10/8 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
I never got a response when I signed up (on the last day) saying I made the list. Maybe I should have assumed that it wasn't full and stopped by.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
where is everybody? only a couple dozen people ..

Posted on: 2014/10/7 22:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/3 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have a contact at PATH since I created my petition (about priority seating issue) and she's been very responsive thus far. She says that they are accepting walk-ins to this event tonight, so I do hope people will come out and say what's on their minds! I mentioned the lack of service to WTC to her and she was like, "can't be helped" - they have to fix damage left over from Sandy. I said, "Sandy was TWO YEARS ago this month!"

They really need to hear from our community.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/28 6:53
Group:
Registered Users
Count me in. These issues have been going on for too long with no communication of a resolution.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 0:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If there's no weekend service on the WTC line and it ends at Journal Square, then why aren't the trains synched up to make the connection shorter for passengers?

They stick to their Newark to WTC schedule in spite of the fact that the majority of people riding the Newark to JSQ train MUST transfer to the HOB 33 street train. Then you sit there and wait.

Last week I was coming home quite late from Newark. I waited 25 minutes in Newark for the JSQ train, then waited 25 minutes in JSQ for the HOB train. That was the worst it has ever been, but when I asked the conductor why we waited so long he explained that they maintain their normal schedule in spite of the fact that their only service is to JSQ.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Hey - there's ONE thing that the PATH is very good at: Throwing surprises at it's riders!!! By keeping bad news secret as long as possible, and only releasing it at the last minute (literally) to surprise us all!!! Like surprise birthday parties - hey, everyone loves surprise birthday parties, right???!!!

See, I finally managed to find something that the PATH is good at. There are indeed a handful of smart people working at PATH (I mean, in this day of internet and google, how do they manage to keep such things secret until last minute, with no leaks!!! Even Apple can't keep it's iPhone 6 a secret!!!)

Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
The Port Authority is doing some public meeting things about the PATH, including one at the Barrow Mansion next Tuesday. Good thing they didn't tell anyone and the registration deadline to attend is tomorrow! http://www.panynj.gov/path/pes.html

Agreed, at least I can respect how good they are at fucking with us. Can't imagine it's anything but intentional. Kudos.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
The Port Authority is doing some public meeting things about the PATH, including one at the Barrow Mansion next Tuesday. Good thing they didn't tell anyone and the registration deadline to attend is tomorrow! http://www.panynj.gov/path/pes.html

Signed up!! Hopefully train delays won't make me late on Tuesday evening.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Hey - there's ONE thing that the PATH is very good at: Throwing surprises at it's riders!!! By keeping bad news secret as long as possible, and only releasing it at the last minute (literally) to surprise us all!!! Like surprise birthday parties - hey, everyone loves surprise birthday parties, right???!!!

See, I finally managed to find something that the PATH is good at. There are indeed a handful of smart people working at PATH (I mean, in this day of internet and google, how do they manage to keep such things secret until last minute, with no leaks!!! Even Apple can't keep it's iPhone 6 a secret!!!)

Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/3 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/3 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ZACKyBoy wrote:
I just don't understand why they are saying the increase in fare will go towards improvements in the Harrison and Grove Street Stations and not towards fixing the signaling problems.

I think they already have that money and are actively working on signal upgrades. I have no idea where that project stands (because why would the PATH ever let anyone know what the hell is going on), but the signal upgrade is part of the WTC line project and part of the budget and plans already.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 14:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I just don't understand why they are saying the increase in fare will go towards improvements in the Harrison and Grove Street Stations and not towards fixing the signaling problems.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to get in on this, but what how do you expect this to function? I can see what your goals are, but what's your plan to achieve them? Letter campaigns? Sit-ins? If the quotes below from Fulop are true (and I don't doubt the PA is that much of a pain in the ass), what do you expect to do that the cities of JC and Hoboken and Newark can't?

I really do want there to be a group that can try to push the PA to be accountable, but I think it's impossible. Please post some concrete ideas or plans. Or maybe that's still in planning, once you have some people in and have some meetings for ideas?
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
In the theme of the conversation, I found this on the village voice. It's an interview with Fulop; he seems to be fully aware of the nuances that go with dealing with the PA. At least he seems to be trying.

"The biggest impediment to New Yorkers now wanting to discover Jersey City is the Port Authority. What's going on with the PATH?

We've been talking to the Port Authority about expanding the frequency of weekend travel, and I've said, to make this an extension of the culture of New York, we need to have mass transportation functioning as if it's a subway. Dealing with the Port Authority is probably one of the worst things anybody can ask for in life, and the reality is they feel today that they need to be accountable to nobody. So we're trying to change that culture.

You didn't expect you'd have to petition for a weekend ferry program to fill the void of the World Trade Center line?

We had to twist their arms. They've been so difficult. It's been a huge success, but they are brutal to deal with. Brutal. Government is generally regarded as dysfunctional, non-efficient -- people have all different ways to describe government, right? -- the poster child for all those bad things is generally the Port Authority. And we're trying to change it; what can I tell you?"

This excerpt has been copy pasted from
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkint ... 3A+blogs%2Fforkintheroad+(Village+Voice+Blogs%3A+Fork+in+the+Road)

Posted on: 2014/10/3 2:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/28 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in. How can I join

Posted on: 2014/10/3 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure we'll achieve much, but we have at least to try to do something. I'm with you.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 2:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/19 10:01
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in

Posted on: 2014/10/3 0:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
In the theme of the conversation, I found this on the village voice. It's an interview with Fulop; he seems to be fully aware of the nuances that go with dealing with the PA. At least he seems to be trying.

"The biggest impediment to New Yorkers now wanting to discover Jersey City is the Port Authority. What's going on with the PATH?

We've been talking to the Port Authority about expanding the frequency of weekend travel, and I've said, to make this an extension of the culture of New York, we need to have mass transportation functioning as if it's a subway. Dealing with the Port Authority is probably one of the worst things anybody can ask for in life, and the reality is they feel today that they need to be accountable to nobody. So we're trying to change that culture.

You didn't expect you'd have to petition for a weekend ferry program to fill the void of the World Trade Center line?

We had to twist their arms. They've been so difficult. It's been a huge success, but they are brutal to deal with. Brutal. Government is generally regarded as dysfunctional, non-efficient -- people have all different ways to describe government, right? -- the poster child for all those bad things is generally the Port Authority. And we're trying to change it; what can I tell you?"

This excerpt has been copy pasted from
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkint ... 3A+blogs%2Fforkintheroad+(Village+Voice+Blogs%3A+Fork+in+the+Road)

Posted on: 2014/10/2 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
what's the point of this, who are you going to tell those great ideas to? the PA? the mayor? the governor? noone who actually has the power to do anything cares what we think.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Count me in too. If nothing else, I would like PATH leaders to have to hear the extent of our discontent. Fares keep increasing and service keeps decreasing. Years ago, there was some consumer group that PATH formed - not sure if it ever took off, but would be interesting to see and hear their experiences (was it just a PR move).
In the last several weeks, service has been incredibly poor. And, I'm a firm believer that if you accept SH-- quietly, you will keep getting SH-- (and the SH-- will get stinkier and stinkier).
How can we send you our emails?

Posted on: 2014/10/2 21:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Ok.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 18:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sure, why not.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 18:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/2 18:36
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
i'm in too. how do i join?

Posted on: 2014/10/2 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in. PATH riders need a voice.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Count me in too - definitely interested in seeing some improvements!!!

Posted on: 2014/10/2 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Get rid of the Hoboken detour on weekends. JC has a larger population and it makes no sense to continue that when the population increases even further.

I really think start coordinating with the Straphanger's Campaign is a good idea.

Are we looking to mimic the same sort of group in JC?

Posted on: 2014/10/2 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Like many other self proclaimed ' leaders ' of Jersey City ( many of them reside in the wealthier NJ suburbs ) I agree that our most wonderful mayor should do something to make the Path better. I love reading about his running marathons, his appearances at street festivals, and putting his old used piano on Newark Avenue but honestly the Path is packed and will only get worse with all of the new wonderful rentals being built.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan2013 wrote:
I think its clear to us all now that the Path issues of the past few years are here to stay--unless we do something about it.

While Jersey City is experiencing a major growth spurt and finally coming again into its own...the PATH is working hard to undue all the work that the community has put into improving JC.

I'm reaching out to propose a community group focused on
FIXING the PATH. See below some initial ideas.

If you are interested in helping me start this community group, please directly reply and I'll email everyone. We can then organize a meeting somewhere in DTJC.

Some of the ideas I would propose include:

1. Providing Consistent Reliable Service

-Port Authority telling us once and for all what the signal and equipment problems are and what they are doing to fix them in the long-run.

-Considering other route options like Express service from main departure hubs to main arrival hubs (Express from JSQ to 33, or Grove to 33, etc). These could be particularly useful during delays

2. Better communication

-Their tweets and alerts are well after the fact.
-Not all people use technology--can the red jacket folks come out of the station and put up a sign that says the path is delayed?

3. Long-term improvements

-Jersey City is growing. On its way to be the largest city in New Jersey. What is the PATH doing about planning for this? More trains, more staff?

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but the express train idea has already been shown to be a non-starter. How can you run express trains on a system that has a SINGLE line??? How do you propose a train will leapfrog another train that is already ahead of it??

Posted on: 2014/10/2 16:27

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017