Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Rainbow Ice invented in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/2 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
God Jesus, are you telling me that this is our claim to fame?

Posted on: 2014/8/2 14:19
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
You probably hit upon this obit in your research if not check it out?

http://www.riottofh.com/obits/obituary.php?id=287599

Vincent "Jimmy" Catarella
Born: Sat., Feb. 15, 1919
Died: Tue., Sep. 16, 2008

CATARELLA, Vincent ?Jimmy?, 89, a lifelong Jersey City resident, passed away on Tuesday, September 16, 2008, at Riverview Hospital, Red Bank.

In 1950 Jimmy founded the Marion Fruit Ice Co., Jersey City, and was known as the ?Lemon Ice King.? He later formed Catarella Brothers, and became the largest Italian Ice distributor in the tri-state area. He was the first person to package and sell lemon ice and also invented rainbow ice. Early on , Jimmy was a welder at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and helped build the Battleship Missouri.

Beloved father of James ?Jimmy? Catarella & Augustino ?Augie? Catarella and his late wife Janice, Loving brother of Mary Gerardi and the late Paul & Frances Catarella, Nellie D?Andrea, Nancy Petta and Ann Strangia. Special grandfather of Vincent ? Vinnie?, Dana & Augie.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 23:59

Rainbow Ice invented in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
I am researching the history of frozen desserts in Jersey City for a personal project.
I have heard from a few sources that the Rainbow ice/snowcone was invented right here in Jersey City at Marion Fruit Ice on Logan Avenue. The story goes that lemon, coconut and cherry were, at the time, the least popular flavors and somebody had the idea to combine them. Thus was born a frozen treat that was both visually pleasing to children and tasty to adults and children alike.
I would be interested in any further info on this, or any other ice cream stories any old-timers might have.
Our unique immigrant culture and our history as a transportation hub created the ideal environment for the creation of frozen desserts.
Refrigeration engineers were abundant due to all the warehouses, fruit and milk passed through here on its way to NY and artisanal immigrants from Sicily and Southern Italy were flooding in with their culinary knowledge.
I believe this is a part of JC history that deserves some attention, I also believe it may be the origin of the term Chilltown.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 15:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017