Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lightrail and Bicycles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Damn, you?re right! It says "folded, not "folding." Anyway, it all seems to be designed to avoid conflicts in crowded peak trains, quite reasonably, which doubtless is why not even conductors ever say boo about it on the much emptier reverse trains.

I have asked for all bans to be lifted on that reverse run, so full-size bikes would be allowed, but I can live with tacit acceptance. I think they like that the foldie at least gives them the option of making me fold it if it gets crowded.

The irony is, I could take my huge, wide-handlebar, heavy cruiser bike and shove it into a horrendously crowded 1 am JSQ train at Christopher St, and that would be perfectly legal. But of course I would never do that.

Dude, I'm 100% in agreement with you! The rule, as currently written, is just silly. The reverse commute trains are almost completely empty. It's a regulation lacking in common sense.

And, your other point is so very true, as well: technically (and, legally) I can bring my bike onto a crazy crowded train at night, but why do that to myself. As it is, I get the stink eye almost anytime I bring my bike on board anytime before 10 AM, as those late morning trains are actually still crowded. This is the main reason I got my CitiBike membership: I can leave my bike at home and grab one in Manhattan without having to endure stares and 'tudes from my fellow commuters that are annoyed (and, apparently surprised) that I would dare bring a bike onto the PATH.

Posted on: 2015/10/1 8:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Damn, you?re right! It says "folded, not "folding." Anyway, it all seems to be designed to avoid conflicts in crowded peak trains, quite reasonably, which doubtless is why not even conductors ever say boo about it on the much emptier reverse trains.

I have asked for all bans to be lifted on that reverse run, so full-size bikes would be allowed, but I can live with tacit acceptance. I think they like that the foldie at least gives them the option of making me fold it if it gets crowded.

The irony is, I could take my huge, wide-handlebar, heavy cruiser bike and shove it into a horrendously crowded 1 am JSQ train at Christopher St, and that would be perfectly legal. But of course I would never do that.

Posted on: 2015/10/1 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For whatever reason, this topic seems to reappear every so often, with people making claims that are incorrect. Directly from the PATH website, under the PATH Policies section:

Folded bicycles permitted at all times

http://www.panynj.gov/path/bicycles.html

Posted on: 2015/9/30 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Regarding bikes on PATH to Newark in the morning, reverse commute, I do it every weekday morning with a folding bike.

I don't even fold it, and nobody minds because the trains are only about a third full. The regulations say only folding bikes are allowed at rush hours, but they DON'T say that the bike must be folded!

Once in many months, a PAPD officer told me to fold it, I did, and that was that.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. The PATH service notes clearly state that only folded bikes are allowed at all times. Standard frame bikes are not allowed during the rush hour periods (6:30 - 9:30 AM and 3:30 to 6:30 PM).

Posted on: 2015/9/30 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Was it by any chance a new Citibike user?

Posted on: 2015/9/30 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding bikes on PATH to Newark in the morning, reverse commute, I do it every weekday morning with a folding bike.

I don't even fold it, and nobody minds because the trains are only about a third full. The regulations say only folding bikes are allowed at rush hours, but they DON'T say that the bike must be folded!

Once in many months, a PAPD officer told me to fold it, I did, and that was that.

Posted on: 2015/9/30 1:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So that's why I was stuck on the light rail this morning......
I never understand light rail accidents. They move SO slowly and there are stop signs, lights, and the beeping they make when they proceed across a crossing.

Posted on: 2015/9/29 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
A man riding his bicycle in the Newport neighborhood slammed into the side of a Light Rail train at the station, a spokeswoman for New Jersey Transit said.

The incident happened shortly before 9 a.m. at the Newport station. In a transmission, police said the 25-year-old victim was conscious. The victim is being treated for minor injuries.

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail system is experiencing minor delays as a result of the accident, an official said.

Bicyclist slams into light rail

Was he trying to beat the train to the crossing or was he on his cell phone?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/9/29 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
A man riding his bicycle in the Newport neighborhood slammed into the side of a Light Rail train at the station, a spokeswoman for New Jersey Transit said.

The incident happened shortly before 9 a.m. at the Newport station. In a transmission, police said the 25-year-old victim was conscious. The victim is being treated for minor injuries.

The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail system is experiencing minor delays as a result of the accident, an official said.

Was he trying to beat the train to the crossing or was he on his cell phone?

Posted on: 2015/9/29 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/29 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:

Myself and another rider had our bikes on the lightrail this morning at 8:30. The train was mostly empty.

To be pragmatic about things, there isn't very strict enforcement of the light rail, especially the less busy parts. The bike restriction is meant to accommodate rush hour a la the PATH to 33rd and World Trade (you'd never fit a bike in those cars anyhow).

I've thought about taking my bike on the train to Newark - I leave around 10 AM, but come back during the 4-7 window. It's always pretty empty around that time though (plenty of seats...cars are maybe 1/4 - 1/3 full at most) so I wonder if they'd enforce the policy.

I did get onthe light rail with my bike at Newport once during non-peak hours and there were several families with strollers and things got crowded fast. So I understand the reason for the restriction.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 12:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
My car with me in it was hit by a drunk driver over the weekend. My knee was hurt. I would just walk to the lightrail, but it hurts too much to walk the 20 min walk from my apt to the lightrail. Biking doesn't seem to hurt my knees as much for short distances. The bike ride from my place to Bergenline is not doable physically for me right now since you brought it up.

Myself and another rider had our bikes on the lightrail this morning at 8:30. The train was mostly empty.

I asked if I was allowed to bring my bike to I could weigh my options and the consequences.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
but i also think the rules need to be chamged to allow fold-up bicycles at annytime (at a minimum)

Folding bikes are allowed at all times (if folded). The restriction applies to "standard frame" bikes.

Also, it wasn't an employee that was attacked. It was a police officer. I saw the video yesterday (it was posted online on Facebook, under the guise of police brutality) and it clearly shows the police instructing/ordering these idiots to get off the train and them refusing to comply, and then you can clearly see the dude rush one of the officers. I hope they throw the book at the two lowlifes for their antics and utter lack of respect for rules and law enforcement.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i feel for the attacked employee, but i also think the rules need to be chamged to allow fold-up bicycles at annytime (at a minimum)

Posted on: 2014/6/25 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
This from yesterday re:NJ transit and bicycles during peak hours.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/201 ... lice_authorities_say.html

Posted on: 2014/6/25 10:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
So the worst that could happen is what a ticket and getting kicked off the train? I'm gonna do it anyway and see what happens. The train is always at least half empty when I've taken it at those hours

Why bother asking if you are going to do whatever it is you want??

Posted on: 2014/6/25 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Or you could just ride your bike. From Pavonia-Newport to Bergenline is what, 4 miles?

Posted on: 2014/6/25 3:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Here is an idea. Ride your bike there. Unless of course it needs fixing.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 3:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So the worst that could happen is what a ticket and getting kicked off the train? I'm gonna do it anyway and see what happens. The train is always at least half empty when I've taken it at those hours

Posted on: 2014/6/25 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
You may not.

Bicycles and Segways can be carried aboard River LINE at all times. Bicycles and Segways are carried on-board Newark Light Rail and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail during weekday off-peak hours only (9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.), and all day on Saturday, Sunday, and state holidays.

Customers with bicycles and Segways must remain in the low floor vestibule section of the vehicle. Bicycles and Segways may not be left unaccompanied, block aisles, be placed on empty seats, or cause inconvenience to other passengers. Cyclists and Segway users must hold or secure the bicycle or Segway. The kickstand of the bicycle must remain up at all times. Hanging racks are available on River LINE cars. Segway users must walk their Segway on and off the light rail vehicle and may not ride the Segway while on board.

Cyclists or Segway users must allow other passengers to exit and enter the vehicle before boarding with a bicycle or Segway.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:20

Lightrail and Bicycles
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. May I bring my bike on the lightrail going from Newport to Bergenline tomorrow, Wednesday morning 8:30 am? The few times I've taken the lightrail to and from those stations at the time the train was almost empty. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017