Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Boxer puppies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
This was as wonderful & as grateful an animal as you could imagine.

It amazes me how true this is. I'd only ever consider another puppy if I was single ("Oooo - look at the cute puppy!").

Posted on: 2014/6/20 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaindesi wrote:
Hello, everyone.. I know lot of people in Jersey City owns dogs. I wanted someone's advice.

I am looking to adapt a dog. I found few Boxer puppies which are white. Father is dark brown and mother is white. I researched online regarding white boxer and their deafness problem. I never owned a dog and do not want to get in to this if the dog will become deaf over the years.
Right now mother is old but she still can hear. Not sure what to do about this. I am 31 years old and planning to have kids soon. I wanted to have a dog first so the kid can group together.

You want to get the dog first so the kid can group together is the WRONG reason to get a dog. You NEVER owned a dog & have NEVER had a kid before. You will be spending an incredible amount of time raising a child & puppy.

Both child & puppy are a committment & many a dog has found its way to a shelter because when the cuteness & newness wears off then what. A puppy is more work than you think. Go to any shelter & your heart will be ripped out because of the numbers.

If you are committed to doing this, go to a shelter & adopt an older animal or go to Petfinder.com. Adopt one that has been fostered because this dog has lived with someone who can tell you all his little quirks. PetCo has adoption events. I adopted a 5 year old Lab/Mix. This was as wonderful & as grateful an animal as you could imagine. Also an older dog is not as boisterous as a young one & will not make as many demands on everyone's time.

Since you have never owned may I suggest a Lab or a Golden. Both are noted for their wonderul dispositions as well as their trainability. You want to have a dog that will be a complete part of your family.

BTW, I am not downplaying Boxers, they are wonderful dogs but probably better suited to a more experienced owner & a home with older children as the Boxer has the reputation of being puppylike throughout its life which could be a little rough on small children.

Animal Planet has a show, Dogs 101, which gives a rundown of various breeds that you may find interesting.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I've owned boxers over they years. My advice would be to go to a shelter and adopt a mutt.

Don't get me wrong. Boxers are wonderful dogs, great with kids, incredibly intelligent, loyal, energetic and easy to train. On the flip side, they can be stubborn, get bored easily and can get destructive if left to their own devices. It's their health problems I'd most worry about - the pure-breds are particularly prone to crippling hip dysplasia, tumors, cancer, cardiomyopathy and shortened lifespan. And I've seen all of that in boxers I've owned. Albino boxers are likely more susceptible to these illnesses, irrespective of their parents color - if a parent wasn't white, it still probably had weaker dormant recessive genes to produce an albino.

Have a look around the shelters - you'll find plenty of boxer/shepherd or boxer/lab mixes, that share most of the boxers personality traits, are great with kids, but will have much fewer of the health issues of a pure bred. Or if your set on a pure-bred - consider an American Bulldog - they're a little larger, but have a similar look and will have fewer health issues.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for choosing to adopt! It is so sad how many healthy dogs are euthanized every year, but adoptions are up while commercial sales are down, so you are definitely on the right side of history!

If you are 200% sure you are ready for a dog, then you should waste no time! If the mother is healthy and puppy definitely has full hearing, I would assume you are good on that front. In addition, there are a ton of rescue organizations that have puppies available. I know the Monmouth SPCA has a puppy adoption center in the Freehold Mall as well.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I discovered the idea dog for me was a Bulldog / Shih-tzu cross ... better known as a bullshiht

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/26 18:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think you need to do some more research before you adopt a dog, especially if you have never had one before. I know nothing about white boxers, but I can tell you that any dog can lose its hearing, and that is a very minor concern in a dog. If you "do not want to get into this", you may not want to own a dog at all. Dogs can have various health problems at any age, and they need an owner who will love them regardless. In addition, you need to be sure that you are prepared for a dog in other ways, not just with its health concerns - do you have the time and money to properly train and care for a dog? A dog will be in your family for many years, so you need to be ready for the responsibility that goes along with it.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:44

Boxer puppies

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/21 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, everyone.. I know lot of people in Jersey City owns dogs. I wanted someone's advice.

I am looking to adapt a dog. I found few Boxer puppies which are white. Father is dark brown and mother is white. I researched online regarding white boxer and their deafness problem. I never owned a dog and do not want to get in to this if the dog will become deaf over the years.
Right now mother is old but she still can hear. Not sure what to do about this. I am 31 years old and planning to have kids soon. I wanted to have a dog first so the kid can group together.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017