Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Trees taken down on Grove St. between 1st and 2nd streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
[quote]
JCbiscuit wrote:
The new trees have already been planted, and they're a nice size. I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed and quality of this much-needed sidewalk fix.

Ain't gonna lie, they redid a complete new sidewalk and planting in less time than it takes path to fix the escalators for the fifth time this year.[/quote

Did you notice if they put heating coils under the pavement? That sidewalk only gets shoveled when it snows in Manila.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 16:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/25 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
The new trees have already been planted, and they're a nice size. I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed and quality of this much-needed sidewalk fix.

Ain't gonna lie, they redid a complete new sidewalk and planting in less time than it takes path to fix the escalators for the fifth time this year.

This makes me feel a little less anxious about the repaving of the sidewalk on Waldo. Granted, we are not in the high traffic area that Grove street is, but I hope the replant the trees.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Ain't gonna lie, they redid a complete new sidewalk and planting in less time than it takes path to fix the escalators for the fifth time this year.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Contrast that to the state of Monmouth between Columbus and First. The trees have been gone for a long time, and the sidewalk is still a hot mess.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/15 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
There are lots of well known varieties of trees that do well in cities. For instance, the London Plane (a sycamore relative) does fantastic- it is hardy, strong, tall, roots deep and lives a long long time. . Also nice is the Dawn Redwood. The city favors things like Bartlett Pear and Japanese Cherry trees. These trees do not grow tall and have a relatively short life span. Btw the City has a full time forester with staff in the Division of Forestry. He's supposed to be on top of this. Also, I think that there is some kind of obligation of PSEG to configure themselves so that we can have trees. Wasn't there a master plan to bury all the lines? Maybe we should do a class action suit?

In NYC there are lots of Linden trees and Ginko trees and they seem to flourish in an urban environment. Linden trees have a wonderful scent especially in the spring.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
There are lots of well known varieties of trees that do well in cities. For instance, the London Plane (a sycamore relative) does fantastic- it is hardy, strong, tall, roots deep and lives a long long time. . Also nice is the Dawn Redwood. The city favors things like Bartlett Pear and Japanese Cherry trees. These trees do not grow tall and have a relatively short life span. Btw the City has a full time forester with staff in the Division of Forestry. He's supposed to be on top of this. Also, I think that there is some kind of obligation of PSEG to configure themselves so that we can have trees. Wasn't there a master plan to bury all the lines? Maybe we should do a class action suit?

Posted on: 2014/5/21 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I am extremely disappointed with the constant destruction of trees in Jersey City....

I have no ideas which trees need what work. But on that particular block, I can't imagine any alternatives. The trees might have made the block look a little nicer, but they had also wrecked the sidewalk.

I also have no doubt they'll plant trees on that block, and most likely in other spots as well. Just because they don't do it 30 seconds after taking the trees down doesn't mean it will never happen.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am extremely disappointed with the constant destruction of trees in Jersey City. Trees are assets, and can make even a shitty looking block look attractive; unfortunately, there are far more trees coming down and being trimmed ridiculously than being planted.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have said numerous times new trees should be in a planter. I know of some people who fell and spent six months in rehab.

a simpler, less hysterical solution might be to plant trees that are more suited to cities.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have said numerous times new trees should be in a planter. I know of some people who fell and spent six months in rehab.

No. F**k that. The roots will never get big enough. Living with nature is an important part of life. You want to pave all the parks because a tree might fall on a kid? No.

Posted on: 2014/5/19 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/18 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
They've taken all the trees out on that side of that block and are rebuilding the sidewalk.

I don't have any solid information, but: The trees were completely destroying the sidewalk. That sidewalk was seriously buckled by the roots. In fact, JC List posters have bitched about the poor condition of that side.

It's possible they grew enough to affect any infrastructure in the ground (e.g. pipes), and might also be at risk of falling over in a big storm.

Posted on: 2014/5/18 0:09

Trees taken down on Grove St. between 1st and 2nd streets
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/29 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
The other day I saw two healthy trees being taken down on the East side of Grove St. between 1st and 2nd streets, and today I saw that stretch of sidewalk completely torn up.

Anyone know what's happening?

Posted on: 2014/5/17 23:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017