Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: We are going to be looking to buy in the upcoming months.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Again, I am talking about the 33rd St line going down for every weekend for a year, not WTC.

You seriously think 33rd down for the weekends is way worse than WTC down entirely for over 2 years?

Yes, because back then a ferry was provided as a viable alternative. The worst case scenario for 33rd is what is currently going on with WTC, no alternatives at all, other than cram into an overpacked PATH train on another line way out of the way.

If and when they close the 33rd line on the weekends, the impact on JC will not be nearly as bad as the current weekend WTC closures.

The Fulton transit center and WTC hub will both be finished and you will be able to transfer to 9 subway lines very easily. You can be in midtown or Brooklyn in less than 30 min with no hassle.

Not to mention it's a direct 4 minute train from JC to WTC with no Hoboken detour.

Regarding property values, the sky is the limit here.

A 4 minute ride from where? Exchange Place? Have you seen what weekend PATH service is like now with only one line going to NYC? Do you think anyone at Exchange Place will be able to fit into the train?

Yep 4 min from Exchange and 7 min from Grove. It won't be nearly as bad for JC residents when the weekend WTC line is back because it will be a direct train with multiple subway connections in the station.

Hoboken has both weekend ferries and weekend buses to NYC so their residents won't rely on only the WTC path to get them into the city on weekends when the 33rd line is down.

In the meantime we are getting jerked on the weekends and it would be nice if we could get direct JSQ - 33 service to alleviate the overcrowding. Wake up Fulop....

Posted on: 2014/2/27 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Again, I am talking about the 33rd St line going down for every weekend for a year, not WTC.

You seriously think 33rd down for the weekends is way worse than WTC down entirely for over 2 years?

Yes, because back then a ferry was provided as a viable alternative. The worst case scenario for 33rd is what is currently going on with WTC, no alternatives at all, other than cram into an overpacked PATH train on another line way out of the way.

If and when they close the 33rd line on the weekends, the impact on JC will not be nearly as bad as the current weekend WTC closures.

The Fulton transit center and WTC hub will both be finished and you will be able to transfer to 9 subway lines very easily. You can be in midtown or Brooklyn in less than 30 min with no hassle.

Not to mention it's a direct 4 minute train from JC to WTC with no Hoboken detour.

A 4 minute ride from where? Exchange Place? Have you seen what weekend PATH service is like now with only one line going to NYC? Do you think anyone at Exchange Place will be able to fit into the train?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they're planning to close 33rd for 45 weekends as well. The PATH rep said there was less Sandy damage so it might not take as long as WTC.

They HAVE publicly announced this -- via one line in a photocopied press release sent to the city of Harrison:
http://townofharrison2.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PATH.pdf

"In 2015, the Port Authority anticipates closing a number of stations on the Journal Square to 33rd Street via Hoboken line for 45 weekends for similar work, keeping the World Trade Center and Exchange Place Stations open."

Posted on: 2014/2/27 22:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/27 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
As someone who was watching the markets post 9/11 for a buying opportunity, they did not crash even with no service at all for a long time. This whole statement is rubbish designed to make people anxious.

See this graph "Median Sales Price in Jersey City, 07302", the inline image linking is so broken these days.
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/07302-Jersey_City/market-trends/

Again, I am talking about the 33rd St line going down for every weekend for a year, not WTC. Someone who went to the Port Authority's meeting said they mentioned that's next. This is the worst case scenario I'm talking about.

I get that most people on this thread own and therefore have a vested interest in seeing property values continue to rise. But you are kidding yourselves to think they won't fall dramatically if the worst case scenario comes to pass and there is no 33rd street service for an entire year.

My advice is aimed at the original poster who is thinking of buying. We don't know that the worst case scenario will happen, just that it had been mentioned by the Port Authority. If you have already bought you're stuck but I would wait and see concrete plans for the 33rd line repairs before buying.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If there is no WTC service, people in NYC who come to JC to check it out on weekends, will get an impression that JC is much farther away than it actually is. This will discourage some of them to consider JC as a place to live. I think the speed at which the rent and property values have been going up, will slow down somewhat. To what degree, I have no idea.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
As someone who was watching the markets post 9/11 for a buying opportunity, they did not crash even with no service at all for a long time. This whole statement is rubbish designed to make people anxious.

See this graph "Median Sales Price in Jersey City, 07302", the inline image linking is so broken these days.
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/07302-Jersey_City/market-trends/

Posted on: 2014/2/26 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The weekend closures just started, so of course no discernible change in housing stock or prices will be felt for some time.

As for comparing weekend disruptions in Brooklyn to JC, that is apples to oranges: in Brooklyn you had/have other alternatives (buses, medallion taxis, etc.) while in our situation in JC, there are no other alternatives for getting into Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
yeah when I was looking to buy, Path weekend service had no bearing on my decision. Since it is already greatly reduced from the weekday, I started driving in years ago and haven't looked back.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I will bet a decent bottle of scotch with anyone that changed weekend service will not change property prices at all. I grew up in the middle of Brooklyn mid day and weekend service to Manhattan was severely suspended many times for months in a row, property prices were never affected.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:56
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The Port Authority only recently made this announcement. I would expect to see selling prices in the Exchange Place area decrease over the next several months as a result. That is the area most impacted.

And many more people rely on the 33rd line than WTC. Which is why I used the strong language of plummet.

Keep in mind values will only plummet if the Port Authority takes a similar approach to the 33rd line as they did with the WTC line. If they actually provide alternatives, this would mitigate the damage and there may not be as much impact. But in the meantime, it is prudent to wait and see. Because the worst case scenario is pretty dire.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
If the Port Authority decides to shut down the 33rd St lines on weekends in 2015 as some have reported (after WTC is complete), the value of your home may plummet.

Personally I would not buy until the Port Authority has issued concrete plans about their intentions with the 33rd St line.

That's ridiculous. A temporary closure of the PATH on the weekends is not going to cause any home values to plummet.

The WTC line is closed for the next 45 weekends in a row. "Temporary" used in the loosest sense.

If they do that for the main artery going into Manhattan every weekend for a year, you're kidding yourself if you think that won't cause tons of people to reconsider relocating to JC. And cause people already living in JC to just move to Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Well then we should have already seen the big uptick in houses on the market from the WTC closure.

I could see it having an impact on the margins, and maybe even depress sales and prices a bit but "plummet" seems more than a bit strong.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I think you will have a good chance of a 2 bedroom but not sure about the outdoor space which is extremely coveted. Also, prepare to make a strong offer and the possibility of a bidding war. Many friends have purchased recently and have had to pay more than ask.

Quote:

ItalianGuy525 wrote:
We want to be in Van Vorst or Paulus Hook sections probably to too exceed 700k. Thanks again, Keep you're eyes and ears peeled.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
If the Port Authority decides to shut down the 33rd St lines on weekends in 2015 as some have reported (after WTC is complete), the value of your home may plummet.

Personally I would not buy until the Port Authority has issued concrete plans about their intentions with the 33rd St line.

That's ridiculous. A temporary closure of the PATH on the weekends is not going to cause any home values to plummet.

The WTC line is closed for the next 45 weekends in a row. "Temporary" used in the loosest sense.

If they do that for the main artery going into Manhattan every weekend for a year, you're kidding yourself if you think that won't cause tons of people to reconsider relocating to JC. And cause people already living in JC to just move to Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would not spend higher than $300k in this city considering the services, amenities, and taxes. If you were to buy then consider a house where you would get more bang for your buck. The Heights won't break your bank account and it is an easier place to get around, do things, variety of food options, and close to all the highways and bordering towns.

LOL, nice post to shill the heights, heights.

Then any positive opinion would be considered a shill. DT has been shilled to the point of headline news.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
We want to be in Van Vorst or Paulus Hook sections probably to too exceed 700k. Thanks again, Keep you're eyes and ears peeled.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would not spend higher than $300k in this city considering the services, amenities, and taxes. If you were to buy then consider a house where you would get more bang for your buck. The Heights won't break your bank account and it is an easier place to get around, do things, variety of food options, and close to all the highways and bordering towns.

LOL, nice post to shill the heights, heights.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
That's approximately $600k. But there aren't too many of those right now. Also, be cautious of what you see on Trulia in terms of averages. They tend to be a little lower than the reality. Real estate downtown JC is roughly $450 a sq foot, depending on the property etc. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I think you're probably looking at mid $600s with those specs, maybe a bit lower if it is garden level or depending on location.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
That is pretty much the exact criteria I will be looking for in a year or two. What price ranges are you seeing?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
What is your price range? Or rather, what was out of your price range?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Do you want to remain downtown or are you open to other locales in JC where you could get more space/outdoor space for the $?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:15

We are going to be looking to buy in the upcoming months.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
Our lease will be up in the summer and we are going to start the beginning process of looking to buy. I am on Zillow, Trulia and a few others. Ideally, we would like a duplex in a renovated brownstone with outdoor space. We pretty much lived in new or renovated places, so you get the gist. Maybe you are an owner and plan to sell we are also open to rent with option. Our criteria is ball park - 2 bdrms, at least 1.5 baths, Hrdwd floors, W/D in unit not under 1200 sq feet. We have a car but that is something we will deal with finding parking. I've seen a few renovated places but they are way out of our price range. Send me some leads, or info I've pretty much am familiar of whats out there. So pretty much if you know of a place thats not on the radar let me know. Thanks Jclist forum friends.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 16:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017