Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
170 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 170

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Car registration renewal - Warning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Update. Registration card I renewed online on 2/20 arrived in the mail 2/27. I'd call that pretty convenient and efficient by any standard, not just DMV standards.

Posted on: 2014/2/28 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Same. Just received renewal notice from NJMVC by mail and renewed online with no problem.

Perhaps they have done something "smart" like not send renewal notices to people with unpaid tickets? Or perhaps not.

Posted on: 2014/2/28 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
This must be hit or miss. I just got a renewal notice in the mail, same as always. Filed the renewal on-line yesterday. No problems.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 14:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
kokomas, sorry to hear you also felt victim to MVC not sending you the registration renewal on the mail. Consensus so far is that some JC residents are still getting the registration renewal by mail while others are not, and for the unlucky ones MVC will not provide a reasonable explanation for no longer sending the renewals.

My court appearance is this coming Monday for the two "violations" I am charged with.

Morale of the story: Keep an eye on your car registration (and vehicle inspection) expiration dates, do not rely on the renewal coming by mail to remind you.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/2 17:30
Group:
Registered Users
What was the outcome here? Same thing just happened to me and I have to go to court next Thursday morning. This Abandonment of MV Subsequent Offense I got is just bush league.

Quote:

Chama wrote:
I just wanted to inform the forum readers about the fact that Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) is no longer sending the car registration renewal notice by mail, at least for Jersey City residents. So please check your car registration expiration date; you will need to renew in person at the MVC office, there are no more renewal notices coming in the mail, and apparently there is no option to renew by mail or online, according to what the Clerk happily told me at the MVC office in Summit Avenue. However, the State of NJ MVC website provides different information in this regard, check it out:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/RegistrationRenewal.htm

Not sure when this change took effect. But I learned the hard way yesterday, after getting a Legal Notice from the Jersey City Municipal Court with a Court citation rescheduled to Feb. 2014 for two violations encrypted in codes "39:3-4" and "39:6-55b". Later learned that they mean "Driving Unregistered Vehicle" and "Failure to Return License or Registration". The fact of the matter is that my registration had indeed expired at the end of September and I hadn't realized about this "violation", since I was actually counting on the registration renewal coming by mail from the MVC like it had happened in previous years. My car was screened while parked on the street in early November and all I got was the Court citation in the mail (no ticket, no warning, no further explanation).

I immediately renewed my car registration in person this morning (almost in panic mode) but I will still need to show up in Court in February and present paperwork of car registration renewal, etc., as they consider this "a serious violation", according to what the Court clerk explained to me over the phone (go figure!). I would probably agree if I had deliberately and intentionally decided to drive with an expired registration, which was, of course, not the case. Part of my forgetfulness is that I occasionally drive my car (weekend errands, mostly).

So make sure to record in your calendars the month of your car registration renewal and get a reminder to plan your visit to your nearest MVC office to renew in person.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Just got mine in the mail yesterday nothing different than last year same as usual. These warnings of no more renewals by mail may be specificly aimed towads certain people for certain reasons not applied to the general N.J. driving public.

There would be zero reason for them to target me to not send me a renewal. When I talked to them over the phone there was no reason other than "you have to come in to do it now". So who knows. Guess I'll find out when I visit.

Posted on: 2013/12/4 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Just got mine in the mail yesterday nothing different than last year same as usual. These warnings of no more renewals by mail may be specificly aimed towads certain people for certain reasons not applied to the general N.J. driving public.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 19:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
I own my vehicle as well, no lease. But hey, no registration renewal by mail this year. Good to hear some of you are still getting the renewal by mail. I wish I had been that lucky!

Posted on: 2013/11/21 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I own my vehicle and my registration has come to my address every year like clockwork. Not this year.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I recently received by car registration renewal and my drivers license renewal in the mail. I'm a JC resident. FYI I did the drivers license renewal by mail as long as I was willing to keep the same photo. Both the new drivers license and car registration came back via mail about two weeks later. It was a breeze.

I'm not sure what made me qualify for this. I've lived in JC/NJ since 96. It was clearly marked on the renewal notice that I can do it by mail.. One word.......SWEET!

Skip The Trip...NJ DMV

Posted on: 2013/11/21 2:38

Edited by r_pinkowitz on 2013/11/21 2:59:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I also renew my registration by mail no problem. It was set to expire in November and am pretty sure I received the renewal notice in early October.

Do you lease? Don?t renewal notices for leased cars go to the dealer first then you?

SRhia ->

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/HowToRenew.htm

Posted on: 2013/11/21 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Wait - can I renew my driver's license by mail? When my license expired last year, I received the renewal letter, but it stated that I had to appear in person at the Summit location to renew it in person. I had lived in JC for over 5 years at that point.

It's so confusing!!!

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I recently received by car registration renewal and my drivers license renewal in the mail. I'm a JC resident. FYI I did the drivers license renewal by mail as long as I was willing to keep the same photo. Both the new drivers license and car registration came back via mail about two weeks later. It was a breeze.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/20 23:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Very confusing indeed!
I just want to clarfy that the renewal I received in the mail a few weeks ago was my car registration renewal (NOT my license renewal). But I'm marking my calendar anyway so I don't have a problem in the future. So sorry you are going through this!

Posted on: 2013/11/20 23:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Hi PathH8Tr,

As the MVC Clerk told me this morning in person, the car registration renewals are no longer being sent by mail (thereby the reason for my posting this message to convey the word and make you aware of it) which requires going to the MVC office in person to renew the registration. Some people are posting in this thread that they are still getting their renewal notices by mail (like I used to get up until last year), while others are not. So yes, it is confusing to say the least!!

Posted on: 2013/11/20 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I received no renewal, no registration, nothing in the mail. Are you saying you have to pick up the registration now? Isn't that going completely backwards? I'm so confused. I moved last fall and my vehicle registration expired this April. So even the excuse they may have mailed it to the wrong address (when I had address forwarding for 8 months) it should have happened considering I went to the DMV and changed my address in February. Lucky for me, I have garage parking and wasn't using my vehicle for much so would never be parked where I would have got a ticket - but I'm so used to receiving renewal in the mail, doing all the work online, paying online and receiving the renewal in the mail - it came as a huge surprise to notice my registration had expired.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Appreciate the further responses and clarifications... so I am not alone on this boat... oh well.

Nope, I don't have a P.O. Box and I haven't changed address in the last 7 years. We should find out what's the scheme here is...

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/31 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
You may have received your license registration renewal, but the car registrations are no longer being mailed.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Chama,
Funny the same thing happened to me last year, and I was told that they don't send out renewals anymore. Guess what showed up in my mail this year?--- yes, a renewal notice from DMV.

They should get their story straight!
Quote:

Chama wrote:
I just wanted to inform the forum readers about the fact that Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) is no longer sending the car registration renewal notice by mail, at least for Jersey City residents. So please check your car registration expiration date; you will need to renew in person at the MVC office, there are no more renewal notices coming in the mail, and apparently there is no option to renew by mail or online, according to what the Clerk happily told me at the MVC office in Summit Avenue. However, the State of NJ MVC website provides different information in this regard, check it out:

Not sure when this change took effect. But I learned the hard way yesterday, after getting a Legal Notice from the Jersey City Municipal Court with a Court citation rescheduled to Feb. 2014 for two violations encrypted in codes "39:3-4" and "39:6-55b". Later learned that they mean "Driving Unregistered Vehicle" and "Failure to Return License or Registration". The fact of the matter is that my registration had indeed expired at the end of September and I hadn't realized about this "violation", since I was actually counting on the registration renewal coming by mail from the MVC like it had happened in previous years. My car was screened while parked on the street in early November and all I got was the Court citation in the mail (no ticket, no warning, no further explanation).

I immediately renewed my car registration in person this morning (almost in panic mode) but I will still need to show up in Court in February and present paperwork of car registration renewal, etc., as they consider this "a serious violation", according to what the Court clerk explained to me over the phone (go figure!). I would probably agree if I had deliberately and intentionally decided to drive with an expired registration, which was, of course, not the case. Part of my forgetfulness is that I occasionally drive my car (weekend errands, mostly).

So make sure to record in your calendars the month of your car registration renewal and get a reminder to plan your visit to your nearest MVC office to renew in person.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/17 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
Be careful! Same thing happened to me, and I received a ticket. When i went to check the ticket status online I saw more than 20 other unregistered vehicle tickets issued during a 30-day period, along with some other violations that I'm told are commonly issued when this happens, i.e., abandoning a motor vehicle on a public roadway, and a couple of others. Also, the car ended up impounded due to the unregistered vehicle status, as this is considered a major violation. All the tickets were dismissed, but it was an inconvenience.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The same thing happened to me. I'm vigilant on these things. Went to get my annual vehicle inspection, went in to the car and realized my registration was expired. I just assumed I hadn't put the new one in the car, checked my files and learned I had in fact never received a renewal notice. I phoned and they said that although I diligently changed my address in time they sent it to my old address and they don't, and I quote, "do return mail" and there is no way to rectify except in person. I now can't drive my vehicle until I make it to the DMV. Ironically I was there doing my address change and would have happily got my registration at the same time....odd. Can't do any of it by mail, or online.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 21:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Got my license renewal in October and registration in August.
Is your mailing address a P.O. Box perhaps?

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies... well, my renewal never came in the mail and the MVC Clerk confirmed with great confidence that I will not be getting renewals by mail anymore. I will stop by the MVC office next time I am in the neighborhood (for my Court case) and confirm their statement... this is just not acceptable.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/18 18:53
From Near the water, but on the land
Group:
Registered Users
yep got my reminder two weeks ago, did it online, and then got the certificate in the mail this week.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Got mine in mail, too

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
That's really strange. My registration expires in December and I received a renewal notice via USPS a few weeks ago and renewed online. And the car was originally registered in JC at the office on Summit that you mentioned.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 20:04

Car registration renewal - Warning
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/20 19:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017