Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City touts 'first in state' immigrant affairs department
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I personally think it is wrong to place immigrants whether illegal or legal in subsidized housing. People in subsidized housing never see a tax increase. If they become a citizen then they will vote for politicians who spends money not cut waste. They will never have to worry about having their rent increase due to spending because they only pay 1/3 of reported income.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have made this statement previously, many of folks who live in subsidized housing are not American citizens. They use the services such as schools which are totally exempted from taxation. In the meanwhile, the taxpaying public who are citizens and property owners lose their homes every year in tax lien sales.

what is "many"? Is this just in NJ, or in the U.S.? I know you are a neocon/right-winger so the anti-immigrant stance is expected, but the "woe is me the taxpayer" shtick is getting old.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know of senior citizens from the depression era, who are in their late 80s and 90s and are struggling to pay taxes. They do not get the benefit of affordable housing. As you place more people in JC, more services are needed. I remember one couple in the 1990s, one had heart disease and the other had cancer, they nearly lost their homes during the reval and decided not to seek additional health treatment so the surviving spouse would not be homeless. Affordable housing does nothing for them. But it does something for politicians, they have a base to campaign that is not affected by rising water and tax rates.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
For affordable housing, there may be some merit in giving US citizens priority over immigrants, similar to the way vets and senior citizens are given priority. But as I understand it, there's a federal court ruling that you cant even ask immigration status on the application. Until that is overturned, local discussion is just divisive and inflammatory. Also given the immigration law changes in the works, I don't think it's the right time to be messing with things at a local level.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have made this statement previously, many of folks who live in subsidized housing are not American citizens. They use the services such as schools which are totally exempted from taxation. In the meanwhile, the taxpaying public who are citizens and property owners lose their homes every year in tax lien sales.

If a member of the "taxpaying public" was paying his/her taxes, they wouldn't lose their home to a tax lien sale...

Lets all not forget that Yvonne just sold her VVP brownstone for $1.2m after decades of paying a "real" RE tax rate 1/3 what all the "immigrants" do in the other wards or in the abated Downtown hi-rises she rails against. And who's taking who's tax money?

Posted on: 2013/11/8 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

If a member of the "taxpaying public" was paying his/her taxes, they wouldn't lose their home to a tax lien sale...

Posted on: 2013/11/8 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I never doubt people who write here, but after the 2005 crash, banks to not lend money to people as easily as they did before. They will not lend money for a mortgage if the person is on a work visa.

It's not an issue if they have a green card or work for a bank. Guess what? A high percentage work for banks.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 3:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
ignorant much....

Hmmm.. Lets see new economy needs tons of skilled, professional foreign born workers. Have some of the users who post such bigoted comments walked down Newport (Chase) or Exchange Place? Secondly, those professionals are making this city better. Also, new economy means tons of new skilled workers coming to JC. I from California, and you know what! We new residents contribute to the economy of JC. thank you very much.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I never doubt people who write here, but after the 2005 crash, banks to not lend money to people as easily as they did before. They will not lend money for a mortgage if the person is on a work visa.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know dozens of people, living and working in JC, many owning properties, paying their fair share of taxes, who are not US citizens. JC has a huge resident population of skilled workers from overseas, on various visa programs.

Might ask why the US education system is failing to produce enough skilled workers to meet the demand.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When the 1988 reval happened I saw long term residents lose their homes, these homes served many generations. The solutions by various politicians have been affordable housing. But a sizeable number of residents living there are not citizens. I think it is wrong to tax people above what they can afford then bend over backwards to provide housing for non-citizens.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Lets see, you're implying that most non-citizens work off the books and don't pay taxes or don't work at all sucking on the public tit? This aught to be good.

How come we don't have the popcorn emoticon here?

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/8 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/8 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
What are the details in what this new department can do for J.C. immigrants ? Will this replace the the offices in and around hudson County that cator to individual foreign born residents. Casa Colombo on 380 Monmouth St. handles documentation for Italian citizens which they have been doing for decades here in J.C.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 2:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
This is a very good thing for the City to do.

"Nearly 40 percent of Jersey City residents are foreign born, compared to 21 percent statewide, while more than 52 percent speak a language other than English at home, according to U.S. Census figures. More than 70 languages are spoken in the households of students in the public-school system, Fulop said."

Posted on: 2013/11/8 0:25

Jersey City touts 'first in state' immigrant affairs department
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City touts 'first in state' immigrant affairs department

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Tucked away inside a first-floor office in Jersey City City Hall is a new city department that Mayor Steve Fulop says is the first in the state to explicitly cater to immigrants.

Dubbed the Office of Diversity & Inclusion, the division is staffed by two city workers who are tasked with reaching out to the city?s sizable immigrant community and providing them with basic knowledge of city services and the school system, often in their own language.

For a city that was once the ?golden door? for immigrants, it makes sense to provide a central location for immigrants to learn about their new home, Fulop said.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/11/7 20:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017