Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City’s Super Bowl Hero
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City?s Super Bowl Hero
Dwayne Sabb?s epic journey
by Jim Hague

Dwayne Sabb is now 43 years old, far removed from his football-playing days. The father of four now manages two Subway sandwich shops in Roselle and Linden.

But mention football and Sabb lights up like a Christmas tree, knowing full well that he had a chance that not many football players get to experience.

?I never dreamed I would actually end up in a Super Bowl,? said Sabb, a Jersey City native and Hudson Catholic graduate. ?When I was a kid, I always wanted to be like Lawrence Taylor and play in a Super Bowl like him. But I never thought I could actually get there.?

As a kid growing up in Jersey City?s Greenville section, Sabb wanted to be just like the Giants? superstar.

?I was a big L.T. fan,? Sabb said. ?I loved his intensity and the way he got after people. He would do whatever it takes to get to the quarterback, to get a victory. I always enjoyed watching him play.?

Sabb first played football in the old Jersey City Recreation program, playing for the Bergen Colts. At the time, Sabb believed his future was in baseball.

?I really loved playing baseball,? Sabb said. ?I just happened to play football, but I loved baseball. Baseball was my first love.?

Incredibly, Sabb?s older brother, Art, was a standout basketball player at the now-defunct St. Michael?s of Jersey City, later Bloomfield College, where he was a Division II All-American and later drafted by the Utah Jazz.

Read more: Hudson Reporter

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017