Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: United Water JC – disinfection chemistry FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Does it matter if we're receiving from the Boonton intake or the Little Falls intake?

The operator only asked where I was located, so regardless of the source, if you're in downtown JC there is no chloramine in the water. I'd would guess the same is true for other neighborhoods as well. Chances are, if your tap water smells like chlorine, it's probably not disinfected with chloramine.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:35

Re: United Water JC – disinfection chemistry FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Does it matter if we're receiving from the Boonton intake or the Little Falls intake?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:07

United Water JC – disinfection chemistry FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
I?m in the process of installing a very small, under-counter RO/DI system for aquarium use, and I?ve learned that they?re sensitive to the type of disinfection chemicals used in the water supply. Apparently, if the treatment system uses chloramines, the filtration system must be tailored to handle it.

The website for United Water does mention their use of chloramines, but on two occasions I spoke with operators in the control room at United Water. They both confirmed that the Jersey City water supply is not treated with chloramines. Rather, sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is the active chemical used to introduce free chlorine into the water supply, which only requires a standard RO/DI filter package. That?s also why our tap water smells like a swimming pool. As I understand it, chloramines don?t produce the telltale chlorine odor.

A search of JCList didn?t turn up any hits, so I?m posting this to add to the knowledge base, particularly for aquarists and homebrewers.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 19:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017