Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 16 »

Re: An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

jcpedestrian wrote:
Is there a number to call to report parents / caretakers who let their children ride those stupid scooters directly into people?

x2

THIS!

Posted on: 2014/5/27 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I've run into AC a couple times at two different parks. They're just like "Hey, leash your dog." They don't even get out of the van. 5 minutes later they leave.

Same experience numerous times.

So, can we conclude the foretold increased enforcement is not going to happen? It's already almost June. If they are really planning to step up enforcement, they are sure dragging their feet.

In less than 5 months, Winter will be here again and not many people outside to complain about free roaming dogs, or dogs running off leash (since their owners will only take them outside for quick trips to relieve themselves).

Posted on: 2014/5/27 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I've run into AC a couple times at two different parks. They're just like "Hey, leash your dog." They don't even get out of the van. 5 minutes later they leave.

Same experience numerous times.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcpedestrian wrote:
Is there a number to call to report parents / caretakers who let their children ride those stupid scooters directly into people?

x2

Posted on: 2014/5/27 18:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/27 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/5/27 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
When you see it call animal control at (201) 547-4888 and they will come and issue summonses. Hey will be there next weekend banding out flyers warning of enforcement.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 19:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
How has leash enforcement been at Morris Canal Park? I was there today and still saw plenty of dogs off leash. Very annoying.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
This is what can happen to those who allow their dogs to go off leash.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/w ... tacking-pit-bulls-n114016

Posted on: 2014/5/26 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Because quite honestly, no one is just hanging out in Morris Canal park in 10 degree weather while it's covered in snow, so it's not as contentious in the winter. That, and I've been busy with other things and missed the last few neighborhood association meetings because of work.

But if you want to push for off leash hours, great. Join the NA, make your suggestions known and work out a plan for that. Although for something like, i think you'll need to make suggestions at the city council meeting as it's a city wide law. As of now, we're just focused on enforcing existing laws as is because there's been more than enough support to do so.

Quote:

mdips wrote:
I was always curious about that. If this is such an important issue why are they waiting until after the winter? It happens every year that during the summer months someone stirs up a whole lot of rhetoric while non-dog owners actually use the park. But once it gets cold the park essentially empties except for dog owners. Why not at least make it legal from oct-april like some of the jersey beaches.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
I was always curious about that. If this is such an important issue why are they waiting until after the winter? It happens every year that during the summer months someone stirs up a whole lot of rhetoric while non-dog owners actually use the park. But once it gets cold the park essentially empties except for dog owners. Why not at least make it legal from oct-april like some of the jersey beaches.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
We are going to communicate to other neighborhood associations about this, but the best thing you can do is join HP's neighborhood association and get involved.

Our efforts are being coordinated with Candice as well.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Great news. I hope that too happens at Hamilton Park.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
But alas, all that is said here is just empty rhetoric and that is why I rescue dogs.

But it's not empty rhetoric. At the neighborhood association level, in Paulus Hook in particular, this issue is being addressed. As I mentioned way before, nothing will happen right now, but come Spring time you will definitely see increased enforcement.

Towards the fall, Animal Control began beefing up their presence in the parks to warn dog owners. At Morris Canal, they were there almost daily, to educate, not ticket. But this year, that will change dramatically.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Great news. I hope that too happens at Hamilton Park.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
But alas, all that is said here is just empty rhetoric and that is why I rescue dogs.

But it's not empty rhetoric. At the neighborhood association level, in Paulus Hook in particular, this issue is being addressed. As I mentioned way before, nothing will happen right now, but come Spring time you will definitely see increased enforcement.

Towards the fall, Animal Control began beefing up their presence in the parks to warn dog owners. At Morris Canal, they were there almost daily, to educate, not ticket. But this year, that will change dramatically.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/7 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mdips wrote:
Not sure how this story has any real relevance with off leash laws in a public park. This is a story about jackass owners abusing their dog that escaped from their yard. Posting it here is just fear mongering and takes away from any rational discussion. Leash laws have nothing to do with how a person handles their dog within their own yard. These people should have never had a dog and hopefully will be punished under the newer animal abuse penalty guidelines.

Exactly. It's like complaining about unruly children in restaurants and then posting a story about child abuse. No relation to anything in my neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 2:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure how this story has any real relevance with off leash laws in a public park. This is a story about jackass owners abusing their dog that escaped from their yard. Posting it here is just fear mongering and takes away from any rational discussion. Leash laws have nothing to do with how a person handles their dog within their own yard. These people should have never had a dog and hopefully will be punished under the newer animal abuse penalty guidelines.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't mind having a law on the books that prevents jackhats like these from going out and getting another dog to neglect.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Decent people can do like I did in starting threads like this to arrive at a reasonable solution. That solution is having more enforcement from animal control on the existing laws which require leashes and cleaning up after your dog.

Enough of the "but my dog is good" excuses. The story below is precisely what leash laws are trying to prevent.

I thank User for posting this story, as sad as it is.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I like how they described Sonia Ramos as hiding behind a door...lol... Why do people like these have dogs then? What a loser. If you do not know how to control your aggressive dog, you are in no position to own one. What would they do if their dog was lunging at a baby in a stroller? Hide behind a door and cry???

Awful. Stupid people. Your dogs deserve better.

Sadly, people can own dogs or have babies and there is almost nothing that decent people can do till it's too late.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. Rules exist for a reason (to maintain social order) but unfortunately, many people don't like to follow rules or think of themselves as exceptions.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Decent people can do like I did in starting threads like this to arrive at a reasonable solution. That solution is having more enforcement from animal control on the existing laws which require leashes and cleaning up after your dog.

Enough of the "but my dog is good" excuses. The story below is precisely what leash laws are trying to prevent.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I like how they described Sonia Ramos as hiding behind a door...lol... Why do people like these have dogs then? What a loser. If you do not know how to control your aggressive dog, you are in no position to own one. What would they do if their dog was lunging at a baby in a stroller? Hide behind a door and cry???

Sadly, people can own dogs or have babies and there is almost nothing that decent people can do till it's too late.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/6 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Those owners sound like real winners. There is a special place in hell for them.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dog off the Leash, now on death row.

Blue had a bad day on Jan. 23.

Because he?s a dog, he doesn?t know how bad.

The big Millville Cane/Corso/Mastiff mix is on death row at the Cumberland County SPCA, all because either somebody left him off his leash or his love for a pit bull in heat gave him super-canine strength.

It all happened on the 300 block of West Foundry Street at 10 in the morning.

Suddenly, in the back yard of 308 W. Foundry where four pit bulls call home, there was fighting.

Blue, who resides in the backyard next door, was off his chain and going for a female in heat in a pen with a male pit bull.

?I saw it all,?? said a neighbor two doors down. ?I looked out the window and Blue was getting the best of two pit bulls.??

But, Rocky, the biggest of all was able to push out the bottom of his cage and drag in Blue.

He chewed his face.

Rocky?s owner, Michael Fowlkes, sprayed the pair into submission.

Blue bounded out to the street with his face covered in blood.

Millville Animal Control Officer Anthony Cills arrived and told the owners, Jose and Sonia Ramos, to control their dog.

?I asked her to secure the dog,?? Cills said of Sonia. ?She said, no, it was a big dog and she hid behind the door."

Then Jose, the owner, appeared and Cills gave the same order.

?He told me he was disabled and couldn?t help, and closed the door,?? said Cills.

After trying to get at feral cats under a porch, Blue finally calmed down and Cills secured him.

But not before some people in a crowd that had gathered yelled, ?Shoot it!??

Cills said he heard Sonia say the same thing, but the young, soft-spoken girl denied it Friday when Cills and SPCA agents delivered the bad news.

The only things Cills and the agents couldn?t determine is how Blue got off his chain.

?His collar is still on with two links of chain,?? said humane law enforcement agent Diane Leuellen of the collar the SPCA supplied when he broke loose one other time. ?And the dog is weak.

?And there is no way someone could have undone the clamp that has a screw in it.??

Sonia blamed it on Karen O?Connor, the neighbor who called in the incident.

?I would never do that,?? she said while almost in tears Friday.

?We?ve seen (Karen) in the backyard at night,?? said Sonia.

?I was feedlng the dog over the fence,?? said Karen. ?They leave that dog chained in the backyard in the freezing cold,?? she told Cills. ?The SPCA has been here several times.??

Now O?Connor fears retaliation.

?I?ve never seen them feed that dog,?? said a man who lives in the same house as O?Connor. ?We throw it food over the fence.??

Cills took Blue to Dr. Kevin Ludwig, who was able to stitch up his face after sedating him.

Blue has wounds all over his body.

Cills said the dog is emaciated with a poor coat, probably due to malnutrition.

Blue is called Blue because he is the color of blue suede.

Sutured up, he was taken to the shelter where he will be held for 10 days due to no proof of rabies inoculation

The following charges were issued to Jose Ramos:

? Run at large.

? No proof of inoculation.

? Nuisance prohibited.

? Disturbance of peace.

? Interference with officer.

Sonia Ramos faces interference with an officer.

In court Monday, the case was postponed until the defendants secure a public defender.

Chief humane law enforcement agent Charlene Rosenbaum, who faces animal problems like this on a daily basis, went right into Blue?s cage Friday as the big dog welcomed her presence.

That?s what makes it hard.

?A woman from St. Hubert?s was down here and she?s an expert on aggression,?? she said. ?Blue will never get along with animals again because of what happened. Since he can?t be retrained, he won?t make it.??

Rosenbaum said to look what he came from ? out in the freezing cold, malnourished and so strange to his owners, they were afraid of him.

Humane death has to be a better deal.

On his cage, she has left a note for all to read:

?This is Blue, He is a Cane Corso. I have known this dog since he was 5 months old. Please spoil him. Give him anything he wants, including lots of filthy blankets. He has had a rough life and doesn?t hold it against the rest of us. Rescue being contacted. Please do not use any rough methods to correct him.??

---

Contact staff writer Jack Hummel at 856-451-1000, ext. 556 or jhummel@southjerseymedia.com

Posted on: 2014/2/6 20:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am a weimaraner owner and absolutely agree with everything.
I do not know why it seems "optional" for some people to clean up after your dog? If one does not have a bag - return and pick it up later.

Also, if your dog is good with other dogs - does not mean that other dog is ok. So, leash your dog and do not allow it to approach / bark and pulls towards other one.

If you have a small dog - it is still a dog and requires exercise and rules.
Just because it is cuddly, does not entitle it to bark, growl and snap on the lead. You are the owner and if you can not handle training it - let someone else do that for you or..get a cat.

I know it sounds harsh but we trained our animal and do it every day of our lives...so he would not annoy with barking, psychotic pulling and behaviour (it gives a dog owner a bad name).
It is a responsibility.
Clean, train, follow the rules and remember - it is an animal. Nomatter if it wears a jacket, shoes or bells around neck, it will eat rubbish and poop nomatter how fluffy it is ..it has instincts and the owner should have brains and willpower.

Keep it away from children playground. Get walking, running and training. Your animal will love it and other people will not roll their eyes. And yes, dogs do not belong to stores and where food is eaten.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'm happy we finally agree on something User LOL.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
They are finally sending police officers over to Bayside Park to enforce off the leash dogs.

They are monitoring the cameras (woohoo! they finally work) within the park and if your dog is off the leash the police will arrive and give you a nice, warm warning, so far no ticket has been issued.

I was surprised but also happy that this is finally being enforced.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
????? Vhat r u talkin' 'bout Vilis?

Posted on: 2013/11/15 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
On the issue of shaming, I agree. I won't try to tell people what to do on their own time, but to not post that here on this board.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Thanks Nyrgravey9.

And for the record there's no excuse for a dog owner not picking up their dog poop. I'm happy to see dog owners fined for that. What earned me my "champion" moniker was opposing public shaming by posting photos or videos. I happen to believe it can lead to unnecessary friction between residents.

What might be a good alternative to public shaming is the City implements an app like this. Take a photo with time and location, and report it. The City could then use this for targeted enforcement.

http://westseattleblog.com/2013/08/fi ... -potholes-abandoned-cars/

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cool. Looks like there's a droid app too. Anyone know if animal control are hooked into this? Might be the best way to report dog -related offences.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:51

(1) 2 3 4 ... 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017