Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Refrigerator - recommendations?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I am a big fan of KitchenAid. Their appliances (both large, and small) have done well by me in the past, but declining results more recently. They do have some great warranties on the larger appliances. I bought a stainless steel fridge from them around February 2002, and it is still going, without issues (other than the freezer ice box sensor acted "funny" for a few months, then correcting itself). I am now renting a unit fitted with KA oven/range, fridge, microwave and dishwasher and have had a few interesting issues. A resistor in the oven/range blew up after using the self cleaning function for the oven (simple, cheap fix) and the radiator grills inside the freezer area froze up, which resulted in the water line freezing. The solution/fix was very simple, but messy (unscrew internal, back panel of freezer, pour boiling water on the radiator grills, unfreeze water line with hair dryer.) The biggest disappointment has been the microwave, which stopped working after 5 or 6 years, and was impossible to fix. Overall, it seems like quality has declined in recent years. From what I have read, some (all?) of their large appliances are no longer made in the USA. I know Whirlpool makes their fridges, and perhaps some of the other ones.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I just called an appliance company about this, and the person recommended these 2 models:

LG LFC25765
KitchenAid KBFS22EWMS

I'll do some googling to get reviews and such on these, but also want to ask here if anyone has experience with them?

Thanks for all the replies so far!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/20 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
[quote]
Just don't buy an electronic fridge that is programable it has a circuit board in the back that is connected to the compressor that can fail. It is a $200 board that may be prone to failure. It will cost another $200 for repair. Get the olf fashioned tried and true models with a dial thermostat.

Been there, so true. Samsung makes amazing products, but when there's a problem their customer service is appalling. There was a class action suit about mass fridge electronic failures they refused to acknowledge. As I've bitched about before re front load washers, the appliances we grew up expecting to last decades now last a few years at best. A one year warranty on a complex product that costs thousands is stupid.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
An old vendor of mine recommended GE/RCA/Hotpoint as GE made very reliable compressors. Over the past 14 years, I have had only one GE fridge have a compressor failure (I have over 12 of them).
GE now has their refrigerators manufactured by a third party in Mexico. I don't know if they use the GE compressors. I bought one anyway for my place. So far, no problems.

Just don't buy an electronic fridge that is programable it has a circuit board in the back that is connected to the compressor that can fail. It is a $200 board that may be prone to failure. It will cost another $200 for repair. Get the olf fashioned tried and true models with a dial thermostat.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:45
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Whirlpool also makes Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air and Amana appliances. These brands will have the same motors, compressors and other internal parts as the Whirlpool refrigerators. If you look carefully you will see a similarity across the product lines.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
An old vendor of mine recommended GE/RCA/Hotpoint as GE made very reliable compressors. Over the past 14 years, I have had only one GE fridge have a compressor failure (I have over 12 of them).

GE now has their refrigerators manufactured by a third party in Mexico. I don't know if they use the GE compressors. I bought one anyway for my place. So far, no problems.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a Whirlpool Gold at Lowe's. It has one of the best reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. I saw it on line at the Lowe's website where it was on sale but not on sale in the store. I printed out the on line price and brought it into the store and saved $150.00 off the in-store price.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 11:49

Refrigerator - recommendations?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Looking to buy a new fridge - don't need anything fancy, just something that can last a long time.

Can someone recommend a model that you have good experiences with? I looked briefly online, but there are so many choices, don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

PS where are some good places to get reviews on appliances?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 2:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017